Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

graememk wrote: »
    with the seai grant its only 149.

Thanks.
    Yes I was aware of that and they did point it out in the email to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

TheTorment wrote: »
    Electric Ireland just got back to me with a quote for my chargepoint for my Leaf 30kwh

We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket, and we have it for sale for €749.00 including vat.

Would this be a good price?

Is it a better charge point than the EOmini I had been previously looking at? I think it is but just want to make sure.

The only difference really is that the Circontrol eNext has bluetooth for "Presence detection"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

For anyone who has availed of the grant, did your registered installer certify it there and then or did you’s have to wait a while? I’m waiting a while now. Also, did you’s get a safe electric test result? Or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

User1998 wrote: »
    For anyone who has availed of the grant, did your registered installer certify it there and then or did you’s have to wait a while? I’m waiting a while now. Also, did you’s get a safe electric test result? Or something along those lines

I got my cert posted out to me - about a week later or so. It then took 4 and a half weeks from my submission to grant payment.

I sent the submission in by registered post to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pukeko

User1998 wrote: »

I got the cert and test result sheet on the day of the install. I would've thought that would be the standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

TheTorment wrote: »
    Electric Ireland just got back to me with a quote for my chargepoint for my Leaf 30kwh

We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket, and we have it for sale for €749.00 including vat.

Would this be a good price?

Is it a better charge point than the EOmini I had been previously looking at? I think it is but just want to make sure.

The price is probably lowest possible these days. Beware if you have an instant shower or a heat pump they may say that extra fees apply for installing a priority switch. Also extra if fuseboard is far from charger location, or very old fuse board

EO mini is also cheap. You can probably get spare parts for EO mini easier. Much the same. I would ask about warranty in case of issues. Make sure you have grant approval first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

zg3409 wrote: »
    The price is probably lowest possible these days. Beware if you have an instant shower or a heat pump they may say that extra fees apply for installing a priority switch. Also extra if fuseboard is far from charger location, or very old fuse board

EO mini is also cheap. You can probably get spare parts for EO mini easier. Much the same. I would ask about warranty in case of issues. Make sure you have grant approval first.

The ESB one has current sensing as an option. I'd be asking if it's included in the install, but is likely going to be cheaper than a priority switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭IdHidden

Would people recommend, either buying a charger online and getting an electrician to install it, or going with a company to supply and install the charger. I need a 7kw 32 amp charger with a tethered type 2 cable. (We have an electric shower and cooker so I would need priority switch).
    What are the recommended chargers ? There are a few on Amazon Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

IdHidden wrote: »
    Would people recommend, either buying a charger online and getting an electrician to install it, or going with a company to supply and install the charger. I need a 7kw 32 amp charger with a tethered type 2 cable. (We have an electric shower and cooker so I would need priority switch).
    What are the recommended chargers ? There are a few on Amazon Uk.

I bought one from Ebay and got it installed. It was a Duosida 32a tethered. It was €400 and the sparks charged €430 to install it with a priority switch. So €830 all in and its a very good unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

stimpson wrote: »
    The ESB one has current sensing as an option. I'd be asking if it's included in the install, but is likely going to be cheaper than a priority switch.

I was just on the phone to them to ask about this and they said the was no load balancing option but that when the technician were out they would advise if a priority switch was needed and that would be added to quote.

I'm just looking at chargers now myself as seriously considering getting an EV.

We don't currently have an electric shower but thinking of getting one so was looking and saw I could get a zappi v1 for just under 600, meaning it would be covered by the grant and so would just be looking at paying the install. Seems like a good idea as I understand with it you don't require priority switching.

I'm guessing install shouldn't be too much, 200 ish maybe, fuseboard is about 2m from external wall where charger will be. Hoping to get external socket done at the same time since running the cables anyway, that might add a bit.

Do most people get charger installed before getting car? Or what do they do when get car and waiting on charger install, no external plug at all?

Also just to confirm, 2013 leaf is type 1 charger? Down the line is it possible to update charger to type 2 charger? Is it just wiring a plug or is there more to it.

Any recommendations for electricians in North County Dublin appreciated too.

Thanks

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I was just on the phone to them to ask about this and they said the was no load balancing option but that when the technician were out they would advise if a priority switch was needed and that would be added to quote.

I'm just looking at chargers now myself as seriously considering getting an EV.

We don't currently have an electric shower but thinking of getting one so was looking and saw I could get a zappi v1 for just under 600, meaning it would be covered by the grant and so would just be looking at paying the install. Seems like a good idea as I understand with it you don't require priority switching.

I'm guessing install shouldn't be too much, 200 ish maybe, fuseboard is about 2m from external wall where charger will be. Hoping to get external socket done at the same time since running the cables anyway, that might add a bit.

Do most people get charger installed before getting car? Or what do they do when get car and waiting on charger install, no external plug at all?

Also just to confirm, 2013 leaf is type 1 charger? Down the line is it possible to update charger to type 2 charger? Is it just wiring a plug or is there more to it.

Any recommendations for electricians in North County Dublin appreciated too.

Thanks

Zappi is most expensive option. I doubt you can get v1 new for 600, as I assume they don't make v1 anymore.

Changing from type 1 tethered to type 2 tethered is not easy. Cable is around 200 euro and needs to be wired in to Zappi. You can also buy adapters or converters. I would suggest you do not go tethered if car is type 1. If no tether then just use a different cable when you get a type 2 car. Zappi are complicated and confusing to install. I suggest getting someone that has installed one before.

First apply for grant. You can get installed once grant is approved before car arrives but you need photo of car to claim money back. If you don't get it installed in time you can use ordinary house socket and granny cable. It is slower to charge and you may need to use extension cable with waterproof socket to reach car.

Note on Zappi to use the app you need to get the optional hub for 110 euro delivered extra.

Unless you park at home during weekdays and have solar there is no need for Zappi. Any non tethered outlet will work fine. Priority switch or current sensing needed if you have instant shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just checked again 600 was pre VAT price so ~750 for v1, I assume is is left over stock, its not direct from myenergi.
    Was thinking worked out at good price as compared to 150 + priority switch (maybe another 100-150) from electric Ireland, as meant no priority switch required. Even at 750 plus install may not be too bad value as wanted standard outdoor plug also which EI said they wouldn't do and I imagine would be cheaper to get done at the same time as charger install.

I see what you are saying about untethered though, gives more flexability long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Patser

Bugger!!!!!!!

My Rolec wallpod has developed an intermittent problem, not connecting at times. Had an electrician look at it and it looks like the main cable has a loose connection somewhere - and Rolec say about €200 to replace plus labour.

So now facing options of looking for 2nd hand part, replace with new or get a new better unit all going up and up in price......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Patser wrote: »
    Bugger!!!!!!!

My Rolec wallpod has developed an intermittent problem, not connecting at times. Had an electrician look at it and it looks like the main cable has a loose connection somewhere - and Rolec say about €200 to replace plus labour.

So now facing options of looking for 2nd hand part, replace with new or get a new better unit all going up and up in price......

How long do you have it? If out of warranty, you may be covered under consumer law.

Bought it on ebay Feb last year - it was unboxed but also unused. I've contacted Rolec and chancing my arm to see if covered

Also wondering is this exactly what I'm looking for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-EV-Charging-Cable-Tethered/dp/B079KYMBCZ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XB01T2JX1Y01MBABYY9W

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Bought it on ebay Feb last year - it was unboxed but also unused. I've contacted Rolec and chancing my arm to see if covered

Also wondering is this exactly what I'm looking for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-EV-Charging-Cable-Tethered/dp/B079KYMBCZ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XB01T2JX1Y01MBABYY9W

Ahhhh a fault in the cable from the charger to the car!

graememk wrote: »
    Ahhhh a fault in the cable from the charger to the car!

Yep, me and the electrician were both looking at it this morning, and flex the cable a bit and the box was connecting/disconnecting. Even with plug held in place.

So question is - replace cable or just bite bullet and get whole new, better quality unit. That Amazon cable looks reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Yep, me and the electrician were both looking at it this morning, and flex the cable a bit and the box was connecting/disconnecting. Even with plug held in place.

That's probably the pilot wire that has snapped. It's the only wire in the cable that can do so (I've a dead cable here, same issue).

If you're so inclined you can open the plug up. Some cables have a second wire that's the same gauge as the pilot cable, but it's not used. Simple enough job to reassign it as the pilot wire, but will require you to open the charger too.

Edit: if you Google the manufacturer's part number on the cable it's probably an easier way to find if it has the spare wire.

Edit2: Just looked at my good cable, which has the spare wire. As well as the part number it says 3G6.0mm2+2x0.5mm2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I've just gotten my Leaf 24kw 2015 and have applied for the grant, I would appreciate some advice on home chargers please

63Amp fuse in the house, running a geothermal heatpump, no electric showers, I will be installing a high powered 7kw induction hob soon as my old range cooker has almost given up the ghost and I will also be getting 2 single ovens as well so any electrical work to be done will probably be as well done together I'd imagine.

The leaf only has a 3.3kw charging port but would I be as well to do some future proofing and get a load sensing charger now?

What are the options for a load sensing charging? Zappi? Anymore?

Also I work at our business and we have 3phase available and I wouldn't mind a work charger, are 3 phase difficult and expensive to install or pretty much the same, would it be good future proofing if we got a zoe or i3?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I have a 16 AMP charger and was thinking of upgrading to the 32 amp ( grant approved ) for the 30Kwh Leaf. Am now thinking of changing the main car 2.0 diesel for a 530e. Is it possible to have two different boxes running and potentially operating at the same time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have a 16 AMP charger and was thinking of upgrading to the 32 amp ( grant approved ) for the 30Kwh Leaf. Am now thinking of changing the main car 2.0 diesel for a 530e. Is it possible to have two different boxes running and potentially operating at the same time ?

Possible yes.
    However, it has some issues that need to be considered.

If they are both 32A you would need to have a priority switch so that only one can operate at the time or else they would need to have the ability to load manage which the cheapo ones dont do.

Basically, you need to ensure you dont blow your main fuse.

KCross wrote: »
    Possible yes.
    However, it has some issues that need to be considered.

If they are both 32A you would need to have a priority switch so that only one can operate at the time or else they would need to have the ability to load manage which the cheapo ones dont do.

Basically, you need to ensure you dont blow your main fuse.

Another option is to have one 16amp charger and another 32 amp charger. If you have no instant shower and no electric cooker, it may be possible without load sensing. For those not eligible to the grant an outdoor waterproof socket and one car on granny cable is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I was just watching an EVMan video about his charge point, Ohme. It's USP (letting it pick the cheapest times from companies which offer more than just basic day/night rate splits) doesn't really apply in this country yet, but may when smart meters are rolled out. But I thought it did some other interesting things too. As well as a typical smart charger installation, there's other versions which can be plugged into 3-pin, commando socket and even into a type 2 dumb charge point to make it smart. Then I found out they're even based in Cork.

Anyone here familiar with these points? Reliable?

Which charger would you rate more highly a AMTRON “Basic” 7kw or the Zappi 7Kw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

IdHidden wrote: »
    Which charger would you rate more highly a AMTRON “Basic” 7kw or the Zappi 7Kw ?

I can only comment on the Zappi V2 tethered which has been faultless since i got it. One reason i got it was for future solar panels/home battery.

In relation to the Amtron, i cant even find a website for it?

EDIT oh its made by Mennekes
    https://www.mennekes.org/press/news-detail-view/amtronr-compact-the-new-mennekes-charging-solution-for-your-home/

eddhorse wrote: »
    I can only comment on the Zappi V2 tethered which has been faultless since i got it. One reason i got it was for future solar panels/home battery.

In relation to the Amtron, i cant even find a website for it?

EDIT oh its made by Mennekes
    https://www.mennekes.org/press/news-detail-view/amtronr-compact-the-new-mennekes-charging-solution-for-your-home/

I was all set to get the Zappi v2 but when I saw the Amtron was made by Mennekes I thought it must be good.

I don't need the solar power panels functionality, both seem about the same price.

A good few Zappi v1 gave trouble but customer service us great and they are UK based and ship by courier. The Zappi is physically large. It has a display and lights up when buttons pressed, so may be too high profile for the front of some houses. With the zappi if you want to use the app the hub is 110 euro extra. Never heard of the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Tethered or untethered?

I have a 15 reg leaf so that's type 1 isn't it?
    If I go untethered I will have to buy another charging cable as I will need mine in the boot regardless as my range is so short

If I go tethered should I get a type 1 or 2 cable? I know the leaf is type 1, should I go type 2 and get an adapter? or type 1 and get an adapter down the line if I ever change to a type 2?

Help!

Also zappi 1 or 2 version?

Any other load sensing chargers I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

loopymum wrote: »
    Tethered or untethered?

I have a 15 reg leaf so that's type 1 isn't it?
    If I go untethered I will have to buy another charging cable as I will need mine in the boot regardless as my range is so short

Is it really worth spending another few hundred Euro on a second charging cable when you could just take the one you already have out of the boot and put it back in when done?

Bear in mind that with an untethered cable, most chargers will only lock them into place if they're also locked to the car at the time. So when you drive off, that untethered cable would be free to remove for anyone who might take a shine to it (obviously I don't know how secure your parking area is, so this might not be an issue).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MJohnston wrote: »
    Is it really worth spending another few hundred Euro on a second charging cable when you could just take the one you already have out of the boot and put it back in when done?

That wouldnt be for me anyway. Too much hassle in wet, windy weather everyday. The few hundred would be money well spent and could be sold again later so not really a few hundred at all when it has resale value.

Advertisement