Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

eoferrall wrote: »
    ask the dealer, and if he says that only granny cable for 3pin ask him were the type 2 to type 2 cable is for onstreet charging.

Yes I charge at home, I have a zappi as I have solar panels etc. and it was a quick install by Nigel Daly.

I also charge in the office so drive largely on electricity. real world (without being super careful and a granny) you get 15km from the battery. more on sunny days or if driven recharge and drive so battery is warm etc. over approx 40k KMs my fuel consumption is 4.5l/100km.

Just asked him there and he confirmed it is actually the type 2 to type 2 cable that comes with the car. So actually not a granny cable. :confused: Should I expect to receive a granny cable? I guess when I install the charging point at home I will have a cable as I will be looking for the tethered installation. And before I have the charging point installed, I can just run it on petrol? Is that even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭User1998

tart29016 wrote: »
    Just asked him there and he confirmed it is actually the type 2 to type 2 cable that comes with the car. So actually not a granny cable. :confused: Should I expect to receive a granny cable? I guess when I install the charging point at home I will have a cable as I will be looking for the tethered installation. And before I have the charging point installed, I can just run it on petrol? Is that even possible?

You should try get them to include a granny cable in the sale or give a €200 discount. Play it off that the type 2 to type 2 is no use and you need the granny cable for charging at home. You can run the car on its petrol engine for the time but it will be thirsty enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

yes, you can run it without ever charging it. it will work just like a toyta "self charging" hybrid! fuel economy will be more 7/100km depending on driving. I was getting that with a mix of city and motorway.

Push the dealer for the granny cable also, likely they got it traded in without it and never checked. but supposed to be with the car and they can get it for you rather than you paying for it.

Get about 3l/100km on commute (33kms each way, mix of motorway (10km) and city/dual carriage way (all traffic!) and as I said above 4.5l/100km overall which includes the longer journeys around ireland where you get 6.5-9/100km depending how you drive (ie how much fun you want!).

came from a 2007 6 cylinder BMW 325 petrol and this car is quicker and far more economical, also got a refund on my insurance when switched as smaller engine...!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

Strange that is. I only spoke to them 2 days ago. I suppose 4 weeks waiting time is probably not the worst. What other option are you thinking?

Most other suppliers I spoke to do it in 2 weeks, some can do it next week. You must have the patience of a saint if you think a month isn’t too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I just got my letter of offer today, I'm looking to keep costs down more than anything. Who would be the best/cheapest after EI? Thanks, Griff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I just got my letter of offer today, I'm looking to keep costs down more than anything. Who would be the best/cheapest after EI? Thanks, Griff

EI seems to be the best deal at the moment by a long way.

Thanks. I've been reading back a bit through the thread now and wondering if I should go for a zappi or better charger. My leaf has the 6.6kw feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thanks. I've been reading back a bit through the thread now and wondering if I should go for a zappi or better charger. My leaf has the 6.6kw feature.

I'm 99% sure the new EI one charges at 7.4kW. Zappi is good if you have or are planning solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Depends on what you want/need.

Do you have an electric shower?
    Do you have (or will you have in future) Solar panels?

FYI: Also note that the leaf takes a type 1 cable and your next car is likely to be a type 2 car as all new cars are type 2 so if you buy a tethered type 1 charge point to suit the leaf you will have to change the charge point or cable when you change cars... or alternatively buy an untethered charge point and use the cable that comes with the car.

I do have an electric shower (but wouldn't mind working around this I don't think) and also would have liked a separate, domestic 3 pin socket in the charger. I think only the Rolec chargers have that. I'll have the Leaf for a while so don't really mind going tethered, even if I have to switch the cable at some point.

• Advertisement

Just got the call back there from Electric Ireland and decided to go with them. They're installing an untethered 7.7kW charger for 149 and that's taking account of the fact that I have an electric shower. Installation date is in two weeks. Can't really argue with that for price/service.

Just got the call back there from Electric Ireland and decided to go with them. They're installing an untethered 7.7kW charger for 149 and that's taking account of the fact that I have an electric shower. Installation date is in two weeks. Can't really argue with that for price/service.

Hi there, I have also been looking to have one installed. I'd like a tethered installation but when I spoke to them about 2 weeks ago they told me the only option is untethered. Is that still the case? Thanks

They had the option of tethered today. I'm pretty sure she said it was type two. I intended going for untethered so didn't ask if they had type 1. Maybe it's type 1 tethered they don't have? I'd definitely give them a shout. The people I dealt with were clued in to everything about the install and different types of EVSE.

They had the option of tethered today. I'm pretty sure she said it was type two. I intended going for untethered so didn't ask if they had type 1. Maybe it's type 1 tethered they don't have? I'd definitely give them a shout. The people I dealt with were clued in to everything about the install and different types of EVSE.

Thanks, acutally got a reponse online from them as well.

"We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untethered Type 2 charging socket as well as the 7.4kw Circontrol eHome charger which has a 5m tethered type 2 cabel,and we can offer then for €749 each inluding VAT. And your install date is likely 4-5 weeks from date of booking and we take the full €749 at date of booking."

Looks like yours is a 7.7kw charger?

Thanks, acutally got a reponse online from them as well.

"We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untethered Type 2 charging socket as well as the 7.4kw Circontrol eHome charger which has a 5m tethered type 2 cabel,and we can offer then for €749 each inluding VAT. And your install date is likely 4-5 weeks from date of booking and we take the full €749 at date of booking."

Looks like yours is a 7.7kw charger?

Yeah I think they all are. It's pretty good value compared to all the other quotes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware there is some reports of them turning up and saying you have a non standard installation due to..instant shower, long cable run..etc. Let us know how you get on as quotes seem to vary all over the place for what is just a glorified power socket . 4-5 weeks seems slow, but I know there is big growth in new EVs in January

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Got a Zappi a few weeks ago from Darkin EV, house is a new build so it was fairly quick and no wiring was needed. Happy out so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Darkin got me sorted with a Zappi yesterday. Very professional & tidy. Not cheap, but wanted to go with Zappi because of my PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

With the Electric Ireland charge point installation, do you need to be a customer of theirs? Seems like decent value if it's not linked to you signing up for a couple of years or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

nkay1985 wrote: »
    With the Electric Ireland charge point installation, do you need to be a customer of theirs? Seems like decent value if it's not linked to you signing up for a couple of years or whatever.

Its a e-cars supply, so no contract with Elec ireland required

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Its a e-cars supply, so no contract with Elec ireland required

Would you mind clearing it up for me - does that mean any leccy supplier can do that deal or it’s for customers of EI regardless if they are under contract or past it.

peposhi wrote: »
    Would you mind clearing it up for me - does that mean any leccy supplier can do that deal or it’s for customers of EI regardless if they are under contract or past it.

e cars is a subsidiary of ESB group, as is esb networks and esb ireland

I didn't read the whole thread but I assume it is about fitting a home charger which is grant aided by the taxpayer so no way can it be elec supplier specific.
    Competition law would not allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

e cars is a subsidiary of ESB group, as is esb networks and esb ireland

I didn't read the whole thread but I assume it is about fitting a home charger which is grant aided by the taxpayer so no way can it be elec supplier specific.
    Competition law would not allow it

The reason I asked is EI are offering this on their website. Standard installation would cost you €150 after grant or so. You pick an installer out there and depending on the charger and installer you could easily pay next to €1000 on top of the grant (especially if it's a tricky installation and an expensive charger).
    Energia with who I am with offer nothing (well, not advertised... I may have to ask)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

MarkN wrote: »
    Got a Zappi a few weeks ago from Darkin EV, house is a new build so it was fairly quick and no wiring was needed. Happy out so far!
    Nuphor wrote: »
    Darkin got me sorted with a Zappi yesterday. Very professional & tidy. Not cheap, but wanted to go with Zappi because of my PV.

Any chance of pics of the install:)

peposhi wrote: »
    The reason I asked is EI are offering this on their website. Standard installation would cost you €150 after grant or so. You pick an installer out there and depending on the charger and installer you could easily pay next to €1000 on top of the grant (especially if it's a tricky installation and an expensive charger).
    Energia with who I am with offer nothing (well, not advertised... I may have to ask)

offering it to their existing customers is one thing, making you become a customer is another

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Waiting on call back from EI, but I expect to place order with them. Want to avoid the trap of "non-standard installation" so hoping to do the cable run myself as it will be long and a little awkward.

Can anyone please confirm what core cable I should use for the 7.7KW unit that EI install?

Villan11 wrote: »
    Waiting on call back from EI, but I expect to place order with them. Want to avoid the trap of "non-standard installation" so hoping to do the cable run myself as it will be long and a little awkward.

Can anyone please confirm what core cable I should use for the 7.7KW unit that EI install?
    You may find that the sparks they sent won't accept you cabling
    What length is the run from the board?
    do you have a heat pump/elec shower?
    You should also lay the wire to allow you fit a higher capacity unit: 32A rather than 16A and control it with the requisite "breaker"

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Run is about 20m, and there's a Triton electrical shower installed, and an induction hob.
    House in a standard 3 bed semi with garage. Cable run is from garage externally to attic, then accross the eaves internally and back out and down behind the gutter downpipe. I've done htis run myself before with no issue but can imagine htat their electricians might not want to do it. I'd happily do all the dirtywork if it meant keeping the cost down and cables hidden.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anyone know how long it taking to get the €600 grant for the home charger to be paid? I've mine sent off on the 14th January and have heard nothing back. I got an email on the 20th January saying they had received everything and nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭User1998

I got the email on the 21st and have heard nothing since either. It does say 4-6 weeks

Advertisement