Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

daheff wrote: »
    Not really....it’s more an issue with how the grant is applied. It should be one per person rather than mprn. Nothing to stop an landlord claiming from multiple properties. They would be installing effectively as a business rather than an individual.

But it is tied to the MPRN (business or indivdual doesnt matter) so any subsequent tenants would be stuck for the full amount.... if the grant still existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

daheff wrote: »
    Not really....it’s more an issue with how the grant is applied. It should be one per person rather than mprn. Nothing to stop an landlord claiming from multiple properties. They would be installing effectively as a business rather than an individual.

That's not how the grant is currently applied and approved though. It's per MPRN.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Anyone have any experience with these suppliers:
    https://www.powerright.ie/home-charging-stations

Hoping to get a home charger asap.

I went to the dealer that I bought the Nissan Leaf off and he recommended them. Said they weren't the cheapest but were more reliable than some of the cheaper suppliers. They are also not so far from where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Dagon wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with these suppliers:
    https://www.powerright.ie/home-charging-stations

Hoping to get a home charger asap.

I went to the dealer that I bought the Nissan Leaf off and he recommended them. Said they weren't the cheapest but were more reliable than some of the cheaper suppliers. They are also not so far from where I live.

Tried to get them to install for me, but they hadn't a charger in stock at the time. Went with another local supplier for 1/2 the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

KCross wrote: »
    But it is tied to the MPRN (business or indivdual doesnt matter) so any subsequent tenants would be stuck for the full amount.... if the grant still existed.

Yes, but there’s nothing in the grant that says you have to keep the charger at the mprn location?

I’m not saying it’s right either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

I contacted electric ireland for a home charger install. €1100 they said? It says €149 after the grant on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

User1998 wrote: »
    I contacted electric ireland for a home charger install. €1100 they said? It says €149 after the grant on their website.

Was your installation going to be out of the ordinary?
    Or are EI becoming greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

User1998 wrote: »

The offer on the website is only for a type 2 tethered, they may be sold out by now and that's €149 after the grant. The €1,000 is really €500 after the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

1. If someone had an EV company car and charged at home what are best options are available to determine accurate cost of electricity used to charge back to company e.g. do some chargers have apps to show accurate electricity costs?

2. If cost was not an issue what is the best home charging point available. Thinking eGolf.

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    1. If someone had an EV company car and charged at home what options are available to determine cost of electricity used to charge back to company e.g. do some chargers have apps to show accuracy electricity costs?

Some charge points have a kWh meter builtin and if the one you have/get doesnt have one you can easily add it.

Assuming you dont have to distinguish between a private use charge session and a work related charge session you could just remit the kWh figure to the company each month.

It would be better if they just paid you a set figure per km travelled though! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Some charge points have a kWh meter builtin and if the one you have/get doesnt have one you can easily add it.

Assuming you dont have to distinguish between a private use charge session and a work related charge session you could just remit the kWh figure to the company each month.

It would be better if they just paid you a set figure per km travelled though! ;)

Are some employers paying per km for EV :eek:?

Presuming also that some of charging is done at workplace.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its a company car
    PG,
    As an accountant, paying an employee for costs incurred charging at home is so fraught with verification and integrity issues from an accounting and tax perspective that if it were my company, I would take the car back and give you a cash allowance.
    The beauty of fuel cards is that the software spots abuse/fraud, eg filling the partners car etc.
    The s/ware is not there yet for an average kWh/100kms for EVs
    Maybe thats an idea for someone

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

ltd440 wrote: »
    Was your installation going to be out of the ordinary?
    Or are EI becoming greedy

I didn’t even mention details about the installation. They just said it would be from €1100

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

This thread is a god send for getting up to speed with home chargers.

I have just ordered my Tesla Model 3. How does the Tesla Wall Connector compare in price (€530) and quality compared to other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is there any grant available for an installation for an EV bought secondhand before January of this year? I've been charging my leaf at work/using a Granny Cable (our mileage is low at the moment) but have been meaning to get a point installed for a while now

finneys13 wrote: »
    This thread is a god send for getting up to speed with home chargers.

I have just ordered my Tesla Model 3. How does the Tesla Wall Connector compare in price (€530) and quality compared to other options?

Nothing wrong with it but it is basic enough. Depends on what your needs are.

It will do load balancing across two Wall connectors if you have two EV's.

I dont believe it will do load sensing, which is more important if you have electic showers or heat pumps in your house.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Is there any grant available for an installation for an EV bought secondhand before January of this year? I've been charging my leaf at work/using a Granny Cable (our mileage is low at the moment) but have been meaning to get a point installed for a while now

If you bought the car after Jan 2018 then the home charge point grant is applicable
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Nothing wrong with it but it is basic enough. Depends on what your needs are.

It will do load balancing across two Wall connectors if you have two EV's.

I dont believe it will do load sensing, which is more important if you have electic showers or heat pumps in your house.

So if I have an electric shower and heat pump, it would be better to get another type of connector, or just get the electrician to sort out when installing?

So if I have an electric shower and heat pump, it would be better to get another type of connector, or just get the electrician to sort out when installing?

A typical house has a 60A fuse.

Typical electric showers use about 40A.

EV's use 30A

40+30>60!.... lights out!

The workaround for that has a few options...

1) Dont charge the EV at 30A. Use 16A charge point. But that takes twice as long.
    2) Get a priority switch installed (~€150 extra) which will allow only one or the other to run at the one time.
    3) Increase your electric supply so you have an 80A fuse instead of 60A.
    4) Install a charge point that has load sensing which means you dont need the priority switch and if you fire up the shower the charge point will sense it and cut back the power to the car until the shower is turned off.

A typical house has a 60A fuse.

Typical electric showers use about 40A.

EV's use 30A

40+30>60!.... lights out!

The workaround for that has a few options...

1) Dont charge the EV at 30A. Use 16A charge point. But that takes twice as long.
    2) Get a priority switch installed (~€150 extra) which will allow only one or the other to run at the one time.
    3) Increase your electric supply so you have an 80A fuse instead of 60A.
    4) Install a charge point that has load sensing which means you dont need the priority switch and if you fire up the shower the charge point will sense it and cut back the power to the car until the shower is turned off.

Thanks a million, understand now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

5) Remove electric shower for hot water cylinder version beit immersion or solar panel heated etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

slave1 wrote: »
    5) Remove electric shower for hot water cylinder version beit immersion or solar panel heated etc

He has a Heat Pump though? It’s something I need to think about myself. Took out the electric shower the heat pump has 25amp fuse. Was leaning to the Zappi as we have PV as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KC has dealt with the shower.
    The HP is a bit different in so far with an intelligent charger, (IC) if the HP is running all night, then the IC will cut back on the charge rate so car may not be fully charged in the morning.
    The ES is either or with charging the car

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ryath wrote: »
    He has a Heat Pump though? It’s something I need to think about myself. Took out the electric shower the heat pump has 25amp fuse. Was leaning to the Zappi as we have PV as well.

Heat pump heats the water in the cylinder.
    Are his showers electric or power showers? As this makes a difference.

I have 2 power showers in my house. Now load balancing required as they don’t heat the water, they take the hot water from the tank and have a built in pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

not sure where to put this thread, but think it might get lost in the Tesla thread (fell free to move)

regarding home charge installation for Model 3, considering the location of the charge port

the location of my proposed home wall mounted charger would be on the gable end on the house on the left hand side, so if i drive my car in straight , the port is on the same side as the car , but the cable would need to be long enough to reach the back left side of the car.

if i reverse in, the cable will have to cross the back of the car to reach the port on the opposite side.
    (don't have the room to put my car at the side of the house, only the front)

i know this is a first world problem :)

but im interested to know how peoples chargers are installed for teslas

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    not sure where to put this thread, but think it might get lost in the Tesla thread (fell free to move)

regarding home charge installation for Model 3, considering the location of the charge port

the location of my proposed home wall mounted charger would be on the gable end on the house on the left hand side, so if i drive my car in straight , the port is on the same side as the car , but the cable would need to be long enough to reach the back left side of the car.

if i reverse in, the cable will have to cross the back of the car to reach the port on the opposite side.

Are you going for a tethered wall charger? If so, there are longer cable lengths available, although I think that can get pretty expensive.

Otherwise, it's hard to judge all of this without knowing the dimensions of your driveway etc!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mc-BigE wrote: »

Get a 10m cable. The standard is 5m.
    This issue is not just a Tesla issue, the Bmw I3 is the same.

kceire wrote: »
    Get a 10m cable. The standard is 5m.
    This issue is not just a Tesla issue, the Bmw I3 is the same.

The i3 has the charging port on the driver's side, it's only a problem if your wall charger has to be on a right-side gable wall - so basically the opposite to Mc-BigE's situation!

Speaking of this situation though, ESB really have not designed their chargers well at all to cope with cars that have ports anywhere but on the front. Tried to plug in from one of their M1 Applegreen CCS cables, and it barely stretched across to my i3's charging port, even though I reversed into the space (port was on the opposite side from the ESB station).

One of many things they'll need to tackle if EVs truly are to go mainstream is to stations with extendable tethered cables, much like most petrol pump cables can be pulled out of the pumps to extend them. Given the high cost of the entirety of a DC charging station, it's kind of surprising that they cheaped out by having such short cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

MJohnston wrote: »
    ESB really have not designed their chargers well at all to cope with cars that have ports anywhere but on the front.

Yep. The Ioniq can only be charged in the left space at most rapids so if there's a Zoe or other car on AC in the right space, the charger is inaccessible despite DC being free & available (similar issue on the 530e :D).

Ionity had issues with cable length at their first hub in Cashel but quickly rectified this by turning the charging units.

ESB have made zero effort to address the issue :rolleyes:.

At least you can get a longer cable on your home charge point or find alternate solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

time to get a measuring tape out, or a piece of string :)

i have lots of time, i haven't ordered yet, just a matter of paying off/refinancing end payment of my current PCP. i will get there, just means ill be following the "im a celebrity" diet for the next few weeks (rice and beans, not the other stuff:))

Advertisement