Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

daheff wrote: »
    I have an untethered unit, but it can be used to lock in the charge cable and effectively become tethered.

I prefer leaving it as untethered. Its just as quick to unplug and out it into my car

That's what you're telling yourself, but it really isn't as quick. I can unplug my tethered charger, put the rubber cap on, close the charge port and be seated inside my car with the door closed in not much more than 5s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I went with the ZappiV2 with a longer tethered cable so I can park in the driveway both ways.
    Still getting used to it so haven't needed to jump out of car in lashing rain to charge yet etc.
    It's quite tidy wrapped up I think but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

eddhorse wrote: »
    I went with the ZappiV2 with a longer tethered cable so I can park in the driveway both ways.
    Still getting used to it so haven't needed to jump out of car in lashing rain to charge yet etc.
    It's quite tidy wrapped up I think but each to their own.

Who supplied/fitted your ZappiV2? Would your share costs please?

From what I’m read Zappi appears to be one of the best options.

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Who supplied/fitted your ZappiV2? Would your share costs please?

From what I’m read Zappi appears to be one of the best options.

Thanks
    Installer was Darkin Group.
    Material/certification/commissioning 240.67
    Labour 200
    ZappiV2 with 6.5m tethered cable 750

Those prices exclude VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

unkel wrote: »
    That's what you're telling yourself, but it really isn't as quick. I can unplug my tethered charger, put the rubber cap on, close the charge port and be seated inside my car with the door closed in not much more than 5s

So you don’t bother to tidy away the charging cable? Just leave it lying on the ground?

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    So you don’t bother to tidy away the charging cable? Just leave it lying on the ground?

Hanging in my bush :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Hanging in my bush :D

Am glad its yours:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Finally got sorted with ours. Went with the wallbox pro Type 1 tethered with carcharger.ie. Comes with a handy app and they did a good job with the fitting since the wires had to go through two rooms. Very discreet looking.

Cost us €1250 (including grant) which seems to be around the average price.

Have to say, I got quotes off about 10 people and it was a mind numbingly difficult process. Impossible to just get a full quote off people, everything was an 'optional add on' - it's not 'optional' if the charger doesn't work without it!

Thanks to all for the advice with helping me narrow down what type of charger we needed.

xalot wrote: »
    Finally got sorted with ours. Went with the wallbox pro Type 1 tethered with carcharger.ie. Comes with a handy app and they did a good job with the fitting since the wires had to go through two rooms. Very discreet looking.

Cost us €1250 (including grant) which seems to be around the average price.

Have to say, I got quotes off about 10 people and it was a mind numbingly difficult process. Impossible to just get a full quote off people, everything was an 'optional add on' - it's not 'optional' if the charger doesn't work without it!

Thanks to all for the advice with helping me narrow down what type of charger we needed.

Well done on getting it sorted.
    You definitely have to get a quote after a survey of your house as many houses are different.
    Fuse boxes away from the charging area, too many electric showers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I am beyond excited for my 2015 Nissan Leaf 24kWh SV (3.3kW onboard charger) which I am due to buy on Saturday.

I am getting sorted on the home charging front, and am looking for thoughts from people - I have an outdoor 13A socket fitted which should go well with the granny cable the leaf seller is kindly throwing in. However that might be a bit slow - night rate starts at 11pm I think, and I'm on the road at 7.15am.
    So I would need something faster.
    I have a 10sq first fixed to a 32A RCBO waiting, and the way I see it I have two options>

- Nice option: A nice tethered EVSE which also has a 13A socket to plug in some more Christmas lights https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/wall-mounted-chargers/products/wallpod-ev-multi-mode-j1772-type-1-tethered-cable-5m?variant=40494191300

- Cheap option: one of these Duosida 16A (ostensibly, despite having a 13A UK plugtop?) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QMKTQWT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2XZ0DZ36K7HVK&psc=1 and I'd get my sparks to terminate the 10sq onto a 32A ceeform socket.

The price differential is significant - ~£450 versus ~ £220 - am I mad to go for the Duosida cheap & cheerful option? I'd strap it to the wall and maybe include a hook for the cable to help with ergonomics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That one you linked is a Schuko 2 pin plug, the European Standard? that can take 16 amp, and if your spark can put the 10mm2 cable to the 32A socket your good to go. You can easily upgrade to a 32A one down the line too.

although id be weary of leaving that outside.

seeing as you already have everything there ready to go, you could go for the SEAI grant for the evse and get your electrician to sign off on it. should cover most of your costs.

graememk wrote: »
    That one you linked is a Schuko 2 pin plug, the European Standard? that can take 16 amp, and if your spark can put the 10mm2 cable to the 32A socket your good to go. You can easily upgrade to a 32A one down the line too.

although id be weary of leaving that outside.

seeing as you already have everything there ready to go, you could go for the SEAI grant for the evse and get your electrician to sign off on it. should cover most of your costs.

Thanks for that - I'm just a bit skeptical about a £200 thing really doing the needful of something people are charging £450+ for but let's suck & see.

I do have to figure out some way of safely leaving it outside, to prevent it getting swiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Your leaf is a type 1 but any cars going forward will be type 2.

I would avail of the grant and get an untethered EVSE. Then you can use it with your leaf and you won't need to replace it if you replace the car at a later date.

May as well avail of the grant now while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

That Duosida EVSE is $175 (£135) on aliexpress with a uk plug: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000068793961.html

Personally I'd apply for the grant and put the money towards a tethered charger. But that's just me.

If you are leaving an EVSE outside you can get an IP rated box to put it in. Security may be another question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dardania wrote: »
    I am beyond excited for my 2015 Nissan Leaf 24kWh SV (3.3kW onboard charger) which I am due to buy on Saturday.

I am getting sorted on the home charging front, and am looking for thoughts from people - I have an outdoor 13A socket fitted which should go well with the granny cable the leaf seller is kindly throwing in. However that might be a bit slow - night rate starts at 11pm I think, and I'm on the road at 7.15am.
    So I would need something faster.
    I have a 10sq first fixed to a 32A RCBO waiting, and the way I see it I have two options>

- Nice option: A nice tethered EVSE which also has a 13A socket to plug in some more Christmas lights https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/wall-mounted-chargers/products/wallpod-ev-multi-mode-j1772-type-1-tethered-cable-5m?variant=40494191300

- Cheap option: one of these Duosida 16A (ostensibly, despite having a 13A UK plugtop?) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QMKTQWT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2XZ0DZ36K7HVK&psc=1 and I'd get my sparks to terminate the 10sq onto a 32A ceeform socket.

The price differential is significant - ~£450 versus ~ £220 - am I mad to go for the Duosida cheap & cheerful option? I'd strap it to the wall and maybe include a hook for the cable to help with ergonomics

The duosida you link to there is basically a granny cable. A version with a UK plug will charge typically at 10 amp Max so you will supply roughly 2,300watts to car that can take a maximum of 3,300 watts. There are a few down sides to this. You need to plug it directly into a socket, and to be practical you would need an outdoor waterproof socket, which needs and electrician to install typically. They are not recommended for every day use, and you should not disconnect the UK plug every day or you will wear the socket quickly and it may overheat.

Personally, assuming your eligible for the grant I would go for a full 32 amp non tethered version, basically future proofing your home. Tethered type 1 is now obsolete standard. If you go cheapest 32 amp you may get for 900 euro minus 600 grant and it should have warranty and last. The grants may not last forever and I would want to charge a small battery car as fast as possible.

3 pin UK plugs as in granny cables are for temporary or emergency use and are very very slow to charge your car. Used versions are available cheap as type 1 is obsolete

zg3409 wrote: »
    The duosida you link to there is basically a granny cable. A version with a UK plug will charge typically at 10 amp Max so you will supply roughly 2,300watts to car that can take a maximum of 3,300 watts. There are a few down sides to this. You need to plug it directly into a socket, and to be practical you would need an outdoor waterproof socket, which needs and electrician to install typically. They are not recommended for every day use, and you should not disconnect the UK plug every day or you will wear the socket quickly and it may overheat.

Personally, assuming your eligible for the grant I would go for a full 32 amp non tethered version, basically future proofing your home. Tethered type 1 is now obsolete standard. If you go cheapest 32 amp you may get for 900 euro minus 600 grant and it should have warranty and last. The grants may not last forever and I would want to charge a small battery car as fast as possible.

3 pin UK plugs as in granny cables are for temporary or emergency use and are very very slow to charge your car. Used versions are available cheap as type 1 is obsolete

I was looking at one that claims 16A, but the more I think about it, it mightn' be the best idea. I don't think it's eligible for the SEAI grant, as the grant calls out a number of standards with which the charger has to comply, and I don't see those same standards for the duosida.
    I recevied back my letter from SEAI giving me the full go ahead at least.

Do you have any suggested cheap 32A ones? The one I linked from Wallpod is lovely, and it seems there is an upgrade path to go for the type 2 cable later (I think I can just put one of these in in a few years?: https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/type-2-cables/products/type-2-tethered-cable-16-32amp-3-6-7-2kw-j1772-5-metre )

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not sure are others doing black Friday sales, but evonestop.co.uk are doing 10% off at the mo. Basic Rolec wallpod for €350 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I am debating on going smart charger or not, is there an App for the Hyundai Kona for scheduled charging etc?

Have an electric shower.

preddy wrote: »
    I am debating on going smart charger or not, is there an App for the Hyundai Kona for scheduled charging etc?

Have an electric shower.

No app. If you have an electric shower you'll need a priority switch, or a charger that load balances (eg. zappi).
    You can't (or at least an electrician won't/shouldn't) install a charger without either of the above 2 if you have an electric shower. Scheduling charging to work around showers is not viable (if that's what your post was implying)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

No app. If you have an electric shower you'll need a priority switch, or a charger that load balances (eg. zappi).
    You can't (or at least an electrician won't/shouldn't) install a charger without either of the above 2 if you have an electric shower. Scheduling charging to work around showers is not viable (if that's what your post was implying)

It was not i just need to do the above load balance as i think priority switch option is dead, and schedule car to start charging after 11pm etc.
    I am well asleep by then:P

• Advertisement

Ive a quick question on home chargers if people could answerfor me please...

If I had a 30kwh Leaf with a 3.6kwh charger what is the difference in charge times bewteen

a) A Granny charger

b) An EO mini charger https://ecarinfra.ie/collections/ev-at-home/products/eo-mini

Thanks

TheTorment wrote: »
    Ive a quick question on home chargers if people could answerfor me please...

If I had a 30kwh Leaf with a 3.6kwh charger what is the difference in charge times bewteen

a) A Granny charger

b) An EO mini charger https://ecarinfra.ie/collections/ev-at-home/products/eo-mini

Thanks

Granny chargers are usually 10amp so will charge at 2.3kw.

The eo mini could charge up to 32amp (7.2 kw) if car charger can handle it. Yours will only charge at 3.6 so roughly 50% faster with an eomini

graememk wrote: »
    Granny chargers are usually 10amp so will charge at 2.3kw.

The eo mini could charge up to 32amp (7.2 kw) if car charger can handle it. Yours will only charge at 3.6 so roughly 50% faster with an eomini

If the dispaly on the Leaf says 8 hours to 100% charge....

what charging method is this based on?

Is it that the granny charger will take 8 hours?

if so how long would that EOmini take?

If the dispaly on the Leaf says 8 hours to 100% charge....

what charging method is this based on?

Is it that the granny charger will take 8 hours?

if so how long would that EOmini take?

Granny cable would be around 15 hours from empty. EOmini would take around 8-9 hours from empty.

8 hours to charge to 100% depends what % you're starting from. Assuming it's near 0%, you'd be charging at ~3.6kW per hour to take 8 hours

Granny cable would be around 15 hours from empty. EOmini would take around 8-9 hours from empty.

8 hours to charge to 100% depends what % you're starting from. Assuming it's near 0%, you'd be charging at ~3.6kW per hour to take 8 hours

Thanks for that.

So theres no quicker way to charge from the house??

Most charging will be done overnight but just curious if theres a quicker option for home charging that would be suitable.

Am I right in saying that the 3.6kw charger in the car dictates the charging speed then?

Thanks for that.

Most charging will be done overnight but just curious if theres a quicker option for home charging that would be suitable.

Am I right in saying that the 3.6kw charger in the car dictates the charging speed then?

Yep it's the charger in the car that dictates it. If it has chademo you can fast charge at dc fast chagers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Pod Point website has some really handy info about charging speeds for most EV models. Here's the info for the 30kwh Leaf:
    https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles/nissan/2015/leaf-30kwh

There is. You could get a 22kW DC charger :D

Need to beef up your electricity supply though and those chargers aren't cheap either!

Electric Ireland just got back to me with a quote for my chargepoint for my Leaf 30kwh

We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket, and we have it for sale for €749.00 including vat.

Would this be a good price?

Is it a better charge point than the EOmini I had been previously looking at? I think it is but just want to make sure.

• Advertisement

Electric Ireland just got back to me with a quote for my chargepoint for my Leaf 30kwh

We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket, and we have it for sale for €749.00 including vat.

Would this be a good price?

Is it a better charge point than the EOmini I had been previously looking at? I think it is but just want to make sure.

with the seai grant its only 149.

Advertisement