Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    could i get a Zappi charger (future proofing for Tesla M3) now privately for a plug in hybrid car that the misses is thinking of buying, and still get the SEAI grant? ( can the car be a UK import or irish second hand)

the Tesla model 3 would be a company purchase

thanks

If you mean the home charger grant, then technically yes. The grant has to be approved before you carry out any of the installation works, but if you're buying the hardware yourself, I'm not sure if you'd be able to get that as part of the grant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you mean the home charger grant, then technically yes. The grant has to be approved before you carry out any of the installation works, but if you're buying the hardware yourself, I'm not sure if you'd be able to get that as part of the grant anyway.

You can claim the cost even if you buy the kit yourself. I bought my Zappi and got a sparks to install. Wasn’t a problem. IIRC they don’t even ask for a receipt. To be on the safe side I’d wait until grant approval before buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In my experience, the installation usually costs around the same amount as the grant anyway, unless you happen to know someone who can do it, so it's usually a moot point.

MJohnston wrote: »
    In my experience, the installation usually costs around the same amount as the grant anyway, unless you happen to know someone who can do it, so it's usually a moot point.

If you don’t need a Zappi then esb are doing an install for €150 after the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

stimpson wrote: »
    If you don’t need a Zappi then esb are doing an install for €150 after the grant.

Anyone know what units they are installing? I cant see any details on their page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,096 ✭✭✭✭unkel

djivide_ wrote: »
    Anyone know what units they are installing? I cant see any details on their page.

These are the ABL units. German made, excellent and utterly reliable. The only issue is that ESB are installing them switched to 3.6kW (these units can be enabled for 7.2kW, I have done mine myself) and as such they install cable that is too thin and an RCBO that has too low amperage to later upgrade

If you can get them to use 6mm2 cable and a 40A RCBO (and you are happy to do the upgrade yourself, we have threads about it in this forum), then it's a great deal at EUR149 after subsidy (from a large company with warranty, come back, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

The wallpod installed and charging away :)

8TZdZwp.jpg

unkel wrote: »
    These are the ABL units. German made, excellent and utterly reliable. The only issue is that ESB are installing them switched to 3.6kW (these units can be enabled for 7.2kW, I have done mine myself) and as such they install cable that is too thin and an RCBO that has too low amperage to later upgrade

If you can get them to use 6mm2 cable and a 40A RCBO (and you are happy to do the upgrade yourself, we have threads about it in this forum), then it's a great deal at EUR149 after subsidy (from a large company with warranty, come back, etc.)

My installation was completed in December through Electric Ireland by Nigel Daly.

This is the info Electric Ireland sent me

We can supply and install the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket, and we have it for sale for €749.00 including vat.

Technical Specification

Presence recognition by Bluetooth, so user authentication is confirmed simply by proximity.

Remote charging activation is also offered by means of an ON/OFF external input signal (e.g. timer).

Timetable programming to accommodate the charging session to the energy hourly rates.

Ready for internal integration of electrical protections.

Includes welding contactor detection that meets with IEC 61851-1 for safety protection.

Wallbox eNext series provides a reserved space in case you want to have your own brand on it.

DC leakages detection can be ordered as an optional. Thus, in conjunction with the welding contactor and RCD A guarantees the highest safety protection.

Compatible with BeON sensor (accessory), when combined with eNext is able to dynamically adjust the electric vehicle’s consumption according to the available power of the installation.

The frontal LED bar not only informs the user about the charger status (e.g. operative, faulty…) but also EV charging status; charging (dynamic blue light) vs charged (static blue light).

The charger’s housing is made of ABS plastic which is both robust and UV resistant, providing protection against both mechanical stress and severe environmental conditions.

unkel wrote: »

I just checked with my installer and he confirmed that it is a 7.2KW charger installed using 6sq cable.

ESB were installing the 3.6KW but as of September 2019 this has changed and they are now installing the 7KW.

This is the one that they supplied and installed for me.It is untethered.

https://circontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/Circontrol-WallBox-eNext-Datasheet.pdf

A tidy installation and no problems with it thus far.

I dont use any of the features on it...just plug in leads and charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

TheTorment wrote: »
    This is the one that they supplied and installed for me.It is untethered.

https://circontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/Circontrol-WallBox-eNext-Datasheet.pdf

A tidy installation and no problems with it thus far.

I dont use any of the features on it...just plug in leads and charge.

Cheers, two questions was there an option of getting a tethered charger? and secondly how long did the whole process take to get it installed, ie from ordering to fitted.

Cheers, two questions was there an option of getting a tethered charger? and secondly how long did the whole process take to get it installed, ie from ordering to fitted.

I really dont know if there was an option of a tethered charger. I wasnt interested in one so only enquired about untethered.

They were very quick from order to fitting. I ordered mine on December 2nd and had it installed on the 16th. The installation took about 3 hours itself.

Id imagine where you are living and demand might impact on this process though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi all.

I've read through this heaps of times over the past few years but now that it's real, I could use a little advice haha.

Just picked up an Outlander PHEV for my wife yesterday. I have an electric shower. I'm going to buy a BEV myself in the next 12 months.

With all of the above in mind, does that mean I need to buy a Zappi? If so, what's the best way to go about this? I see some mention of V2 - is that something that's necessary? How about 16A versus 32A? Does that even matter with a Zappi? My fuse board is right at the corner of my house on the external wall where the charge point would be going so I can't imagine it gets any easier for an electrician. That said, is it just a case of buying the Zappi (for example) and getting any old registered electrician to install it?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I've read through this heaps of times over the past few years but now that it's real, I could use a little advice haha.

Just picked up an Outlander PHEV for my wife yesterday. I have an electric shower. I'm going to buy a BEV myself in the next 12 months.

With all of the above in mind, does that mean I need to buy a Zappi? If so, what's the best way to go about this? I see some mention of V2 - is that something that's necessary? How about 16A versus 32A? Does that even matter with a Zappi? My fuse board is right at the corner of my house on the external wall where the charge point would be going so I can't imagine it gets any easier for an electrician. That said, is it just a case of buying the Zappi (for example) and getting any old registered electrician to install it?

Thanks.

With the electric shower all that is needed is a priority switch which would mean the charger and shower can't run at the same time.

Sounds like that could be 200 euro extra but still a lot cheaper than the zappi

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Leafowner

For those with an untethered charger, is there any sort of casing/storage unit/cover you can get in order to leave the lead permanently plugged into the charger so you only need to remove the end from the car in the morning, and then you just wrap up the lead and leave it beside the charger in some weatherproof casing?

Leafowner wrote: »
    For those with an untethered charger, is there any sort of casing/storage unit/cover you can get in order to leave the lead permanently plugged into the charger so you only need to remove the end from the car in the morning, and then you just wrap up the lead and leave it beside the charger in some weatherproof casing?

It really takes me all of 10 secs to unplug, coil it up and throw in the boot.

You could just padlock it to something. Should be ok to leave it connected to the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some chargers lock the charger end of the cable to the charger, but some unlock if no car is connected. As an additional security measure some people clip, tie or padlock cable to something nearby such as a downpipe or an eye bolt installed for this purpose. The car end of the cable normally has a rubber boot to pop over it, but beware this is just a 'dust cover' and not really waterproof. Best to click it into a wall holder like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/K-H-N-S-Holster-EVSE-Cable-Holder-Mennekes/dp/B083BDKLMR/ref=asc_df_B083BDKLMR/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=404353393125&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4330296345767076919&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-862270929099&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81280590130&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=404353393125&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4330296345767076919&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-862270929099

this often comes built into the charger or is free with tethered units like Zappi.

If you leave the cable at home all the time make sure you have another cable in your boot for public slow chargers. I also bring a granny extra slow charging cable and a 25 metre extension lead with waterproof socket, to make sure if I end up stuck away from home I have options.

I don't like putting wet cables in my boot daily, and my home cable is 8 metres long to stretch past other cars and allow charging from 3 parking spots

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

Hi there,

I’m thinking about getting a merc c350e phev and have a few queries if someone can help.

My daily commute is approx 20km (city driving), and I guess I will be charging it every night.

We don’t have an electric shower but I see some posters mentioning cooker and that it might be necessary to install a priority switch, is that the case?
    We are thinking about going with the Electric Ireland offer (€749) for the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket. Is that a good idea for our situation?

Is there anything else we need to consider?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

tart29016 wrote: »
    We don’t have an electric shower but I see some posters mentioning cooker and that it might be necessary to install a priority switch, is that the case?

No need for priority switch for a cooker. The electric shower is usually the one to worry about.

We are thinking about going with the Electric Ireland offer (€749) for the 7.4kw Circontrol eNext charger with an untehtered Type 2 charging socket. Is that a good idea for our situation?

Why untethered? Its alot more convenient to have it tethered. The only downside is how the coiled cable will look when its tethered. Untethered is neater to look at. It doesnt bother me. I'd rather tethered than messing with a cable in/out of the boot EVERY night and morning in the wet, wind etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi there,

I’m thinking about getting a merc c350e phev and have a few queries if someone can help.

My daily commute is approx 20km (city driving), and I guess I will be charging it every night.

Is there anything else we need to consider?

Thanks

You need a cable to reach the charger location, some sort of a cable probably comes with the car. This seems to be the cheapest offer around, although some have complained they raised the price once the survey was complete as it was non standard. Ideally you want the charger positioned next to where car will be, and a layout so no one will ever trip over the cable. Some people have mounted in on a post or pillar half way along driveway. 'Standard installation' is them sticking it in as handy place as possible as close to inside house fuseboard as possible.

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/mercedes-benz-c-350e-charging-guide/
    Real world range of 16 miles. Does engine start for heat or aircon? Dont think so but some phev do. Start a new thread for vehicle specific advice. Charge port back drivers side.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-reviews/my-arguments-for-and-against-this-c-class-plug-in-hybrid-36267535.html

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/90861/mercedes-c-350e-plug-in-hybrid-2016-review

KCross wrote: »
    No need for priority switch for a cooker. The electric shower is usually the one to worry about.

Why untethered? Its alot more convenient to have it tethered. The only downside is how the coiled cable will look when its tethered. Untethered is neater to look at. It doesnt bother me. I'd rather tethered than messing with a cable in/out of the boot EVERY night and morning in the wet, wind etc.

Thanks. Checked with EI and they only do untethered installation as of yesterday. :eek:

zg3409 wrote: »
    You need a cable to reach the charger location, some sort of a cable probably comes with the car. This seems to be the cheapest offer around, although some have complained they raised the price once the survey was complete as it was non standard. Ideally you want the charger positioned next to where car will be, and a layout so no one will ever trip over the cable. Some people have mounted in on a post or pillar half way along driveway. 'Standard installation' is them sticking it in as handy place as possible as close to inside house fuseboard as possible.

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/mercedes-benz-c-350e-charging-guide/
    Real world range of 16 miles. Does engine start for heat or aircon? Dont think so but some phev do. Start a new thread for vehicle specific advice. Charge port back drivers side.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-reviews/my-arguments-for-and-against-this-c-class-plug-in-hybrid-36267535.html

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/90861/mercedes-c-350e-plug-in-hybrid-2016-review

Thanks for the advice. The car I am looking to buy comes with a granny cable. I assume this can be used to charge it at the EI home charging point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks for the advice. The car I am looking to buy comes with a granny cable. I assume this can be used to charge it at the EI home charging point.

A granny cable plugs into a standard 3-pin socket.

The EI charger will almost certainly not have a 3-pin socket in it. It will be a type-2 socket.

Check if the car includes a type-2 to type-2 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

i have a C350e, fantastic car. lots of power and very economical when driven smoothly.

your car should come with two cables, a "granny cable" and a normal charger for plugging into street chargers (and untethered chargers).

happy to answer any questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

Thanks. Checked with EI and they only do untethered installation as of yesterday. :eek:

I talked with them today, they do both.

They have a 4 week waiting list :eek:

And they want full payment up front :eek:

And if you want to order you have to put your name down for a call back to arrange payment which would be another few days wait added on to that at least as they only seem to have one guy dealing with chargers and don’t have a dedicated email address or phone number for this :eek:

Fook that, it’s just not worth it.

eoferrall wrote: »
    i have a C350e, fantastic car. lots of power and very economical when driven smoothly.

your car should come with two cables, a "granny cable" and a normal charger for plugging into street chargers (and untethered chargers).

happy to answer any questions you may have.

I think when I was there at the car dealer and he mentioned there is only the granny cable. I didn't event check it. I might double check with him.

Do you charge yours every night? What home charging point did you install?

Thanks

I talked with them today, they do both.

They have a 4 week waiting list :eek:

And they want full payment up front :eek:

And if you want to order you have to put your name down for a call back to arrange payment which would be another few days wait added on to that at least as they only seem to have one guy dealing with chargers and don’t have a dedicated email address or phone number for this :eek:

Fook that, it’s just not worth it.

Strange that is. I only spoke to them 2 days ago. I suppose 4 weeks waiting time is probably not the worst. What other option are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I think when I was there at the car dealer and he mentioned there is only the granny cable. I didn't event check it. I might double check with him.

Do you charge yours every night? What home charging point did you install?

Thanks

ask the dealer, and if he says that only granny cable for 3pin ask him were the type 2 to type 2 cable is for onstreet charging.

Yes I charge at home, I have a zappi as I have solar panels etc. and it was a quick install by Nigel Daly.

I also charge in the office so drive largely on electricity. real world (without being super careful and a granny) you get 15km from the battery. more on sunny days or if driven recharge and drive so battery is warm etc. over approx 40k KMs my fuel consumption is 4.5l/100km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

I was considering EI, but the charger would not utilise my pv panel plus we have an electric shower, so I expected it to be more than 750 euro

Instead I bought a zappi v2 charger from electric autos in Kildare, they were great to deal with, I have an electrician lined up to install the charger. I went for a tethered cable.

Advertisement