Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My issue has always been that in most of those games you have to pick good or bad right from the start and pretty much stick with it the whole way through, as you get more rewards for being either completely good or completely bad, but nothing for being in the middle.

So you have to be Goody Two Shoes or Destructo Destroyer of Kids Dreams, but it doesn't pay to be Ambivalent Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The thing with a lot of those games is you end up hitting the same story beats most of the time. Like in the infamous games you still end up in the same place talking to the same people. same with Telltale games. A "character will remember that" but you still go to the same places.

A game with choices which split into 2 different games was James Cameron's Avatar The Game. That's only 1 big decision but you get 2 different stories from then on. Apart from the Infamous games, think this is the only 1 I played as soon as finishing. In that case it saves before you make the decision so you don't have to replay everything before that point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Me: Videogames are boring. I've seen everything. Every game is just iterating on the same ideas for the last 15 years. Nothing surprises me anymore

Videogames: Did you know there's a 1 on 1 fighting game based on Les Miserables?

Me: Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playing I Am Alive again (got 1/4 way through originally), forgot how hardcore it was. Wish more games implemented this combat where you have 1 bullet and can intimidate attackers into surrendering or might have no bullets and try bluffing. Each encounter feels deadly.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Playing I Am Alive again (got 1/4 way through originally), forgot how hardcore it was. Wish more games implemented this combat where you have 1 bullet and can intimidate attackers into surrendering or might have no bullets and try bluffing. Each encounter feels deadly.

Been in my back log for a decade now ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I quite enjoyed that game, but it ends quite randomly and I then read that it was rushed out and not finished properly :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone else finding they don't have as much time to play games and just can't stomach starting a big 40+ hour RPG/sandbox game?

I've become very selective now in the games I can play. Basically if you make a 2-6 hour game I'm going to buy it. 8 hours at a stretch. I'd maybe go for a 20 hour RPG like an Atelier game but outside of that I know I don't have the time to finish it. I end up playing a lot of retro games as well as a result.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone else finding they don't have as much time to play games and just can't stomach starting a big 40+ hour RPG/sandbox game?

I've become very selective now in the games I can play. Basically if you make a 2-6 hour game I'm going to buy it. 8 hours at a stretch. I'd maybe go for a 20 hour RPG like an Atelier game but outside of that I know I don't have the time to finish it. I end up playing a lot of retro games as well as a result.

A bit, to the point where now that my free time is fairly limited again for the next while, the game I'm playing most is just Rocket League. Just because I can play it in shorter bursts and not really think too much, can just unwind.

The joys of adulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

I end up playing Fortnite with the kids on a Saturday morning. With two of us playing split-screen on PS4 and one on the Switch, we end up having a laugh together. I tend not to have much time to play beyond that so I'm finding it hard to get into other games when I'm snatching an hour here and there during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It depends, I can always make time for something big that I really want to play, but in and around 20 hours is the sweet spot for me (god of war, outer worlds / wilds all hit the sweet spot on this for me recently), anything bigger is a tougher ask these days - I wouldn't even bother starting the likes of Assassins creed Odyssey.

That being said - I've put over 40 hours into Modern Warfare so far, and still having great fun, like the previously mentioned rocket league, its great for ten minute, curated experiences without much commitment required. - ditto for apex legends and PUBG.

Edit - also, I don't go for achievements, or bother with collectible nonsense. Sidequests are done depending on the level of interest I have in their setup, but If if I miss something on breakthrough, I generally won't go back for it.

The likes of Destiny 2, I've moved away from, as the grind to stay up with the power level meant that I had to limit my other experiences. Instead, I'll select a few shorter indies / more varied types of games to broaden the horizon a bit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it normal for a PS4 to sound like a jet engine when playing games? I only use mine now and again but when I play games it goes crazy with the fans. My Xbox makes nowhere near as much noise and doesn’t get into the full fan speed mode often.

No issue if this is normal, but wondering if mine has something wrong with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm in the same boat, I simply don't have the time for huge timesink games anymore; however, I'll nominate one game and stick exclusively to that within the genre. Lately then, if I want a Sandbox kick, I've been sticking with Breath of the Wild. So while The Witcher 3 is now on the Switch and would love to play it, I know I don't have room for 2 Sandboxes on the go - so it will wait until I feel like I've exhausted the entertainment to be gleaned from BoTW.

Some sandboxes are easier to dismiss than others; pretty much the entirety of Ubisoft's own can be consigned to the bucket of time-wasters I neither have the time nor inclination to waste away on, but so far the above approach has worked.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Witcher 3 was the first open world game I’ve finished in years. Still have one of the DLCs to do though.

Just generally can’t be bothered with them. My interest tends to run out before I get to the end of the game.

Also not interested in games that want you to play 4 or 5 hours before it starts getting good. Games need to grab me from the start or I get bored.

Started Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday. Seems decent, heard the main story isn’t too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

awec wrote: »
    Is it normal for a PS4 to sound like a jet engine when playing games? I only use mine now and again but when I play games it goes crazy with the fans. My Xbox makes nowhere near as much noise and doesn’t get into the full fan speed mode often.

Some games. Typically anything that looks awesome. God of War made my machine go mental at times. It doesn't happen that often with mine but I hear loads of people complaining about it and it's quite annoying when it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

awec wrote: »

I started noticing this with graphically intensive games like god of war or spiderman but lately i've been noticing it with any game I run. I'm worried it might be on its way out

It just needs to hang on until the Ps5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

WRT timesink games, the brilliant thing about BOTW is how you can almost craft your own little vignettes in that game just roaming around. It's not a rush to complete some checklist or do a bunch of quests, least until you get to the mythic beasts or whatever they're called. That's how it works very well as a 'long' game that doesn't demand your time, if this makes any sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even going back to The Witcher 3 recently, there’s a lot of time spent running from place to place to trigger the next part of the story or quest. Which is the nature of open worlds, but part of what makes them so exhausting and time-consuming.

Breath of the Wild makes the navigation from spot-to-spot THE game - the actual four main dungeons are fairly forgettable compared to the thrill of climbing mountains and cliffs. Death Stranding I have my issues with and it seems way too ****ing long, but again I think that makes the tedious part of most games the main loop and puts work into making it interesting. Whether it succeeds or not is open to debate... but it tries (die)hard(man).

But yes generally I’ve ruled timesinks out - too many good games to play, and too many mediocre ones that disrespect your time.

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I started noticing this with graphically intensive games like god of war or spiderman but lately i've been noticing it with any game I run. I'm worried it might be on its way out

The fan is probably clogged with dust. There's videos on youtube showing you how to clean it. It doesn't look too big a job tbf.

• Advertisement

I spent much of my weekend unlocking a crossbow in COD that I'll probably never use. Time well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

The fan is probably clogged with dust. There's videos on youtube showing you how to clean it. It doesn't look too big a job tbf.
    i might give it a bash. taking apart technology and putting it back together successfully is not my forté :D

i might give it a bash. taking apart technology and putting it back together successfully is not my forté :D

The top of the console seems to be just held on by clips so it seems like it's easy enough to pop on and off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've also had a hard time getting into anything open worldy for a while now. Even Fallen Jedi, which i really was enjoying, ended up getting dropped at around 75%. Not sure what it is tbh...just burned out on these types of games i'd assume.

Trying some more indie type games at the moment. I've put a few hundred hours into Starsector over the last few months, and its probably become one of my favourite all time games. Absolutely adore it. I'm also starting to enjoy Project Zomboid the last few days.

I found with my PS4 Pro, it's at its noisiest in menus, particularly maps. Gameplay it's generally quiet.

I'm tempted to open the whole thing up and replace the thermal paste, it's supposed to do the job. I have opened the case and air-sprayed the fan, but there was almost no dust in it anyway, so it's not the problem. Heard a lot of reports that replacing the thermal paste almost completely fixes the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The menu thing is probably some unlocked framerate bug. You get it on PC sometimes too, where in certain games you'll see the FPS counter jump up to 1000 when all you're doing is toggling sound options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Switch is where i get my long session in now. I'm really surprised at how quickly the 10 - 20 min sessions stack up into hours of game time. Prevents games getting stale too by having lots of breaks.

I'm a good 15 hours into the Witcher on Switch now after trying and failing to stick more than 2 hours on pc and ps4. It required an effort to sit down for chunks and play regularly that i couldn't get any consistency with it.

I woke early today so played half an hour before getting up. Then my son was sick so while he watched cartoons i got another half an hour. When he went for his nap i had to lay with him as he was clingy. That was another hour.

That's 2 hours today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Might look into the thermal paste option myself, she's louder than the fan I have to heat up the room. And as one armed dwarf said, it's mainly in menus. In MW for example, unless I stay in the camo screen for a weapon, the PS4 takes off until the game starts.

Advertisement