Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Deadly Premonition is an objectively bad game. The combat is horrible, the production values comical, and the open world an empty, half-broken mess. It also shamelessly pilfers from Twin Peaks in a way that’s borderline copyright infringement. The performances could generously be described as baffling.

But it’s also fascinatingly bizarre in ways games rarely are (especially anymore). It’s full of weird ideas that are not fully realised but are undeniably intriguing. It has ambitions far beyond its means, and the whole thing exudes mad confidence and the best sort of meme-worthiness. It wins your admiration for simply existing in the way that it does. It boasts the Whistle Song, which is the greatest piece of music ever composed for a video game.

I do feel there have been games that operate far, far more successfully in the same kinda realm DP is aiming for: Kentucky Route Zero for magical realist Americana; Outer Wilds for clockwork open worlds; almost any bog standard or better game from the last two decades in terms of game feel. But there’s a mad energy to DP that could well charm you if you give it a chance. Just don’t expect a game that’s “good” in the traditional sense ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

New studio with former Bioware devs focusing on story driven RPG's? Sounds good to me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/wizards-of-the-coast-announces-story-driven-rpg-studio-led-by-ex-bioware-vets/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've heard very conflicting reports on Deadly Premonition. Seems to be the marmite of video games. As a huge fan of the old style survival horror games from the mid 90's to early 00's I'd love to give it a try. I see it recently got a Switch port. To those who have played it, is it worth picking up? If so, which would be the better version? I can get it on PS3 or Switch.

It's ****, but i still liked it. I kind of like that it did things i hadn't seen before. But i really couldn't recomend paying a premium on switch. If you could get it on an older platform for under a tenner i think it is worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After getting through the intro on DP, I've decided to stick to demons souls for the time being. Will go back to it but definitely have to be in the mood for a game like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kiith wrote: »
    New studio with former Bioware devs focusing on story driven RPG's? Sounds good to me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/wizards-of-the-coast-announces-story-driven-rpg-studio-led-by-ex-bioware-vets/

Please don't let someone buy them up after their first game or two and die a slow, miserable death like Bioware currently are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wizards of the Coast is a huge company. Their finances are fantastic or they wouldn't be trying this I'd wager (it's an enormous jump to start your own game studio). I don't see anyone buying this company out from them unless it's not a commercial success for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone else tired of game seasons, obviously mostly a online game thing but it's none stop with them.

Paid passes are the worst of it, you buy it and unlike normal dlc which is just there or usually doesn't go anywhere here if time is limited you loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ERG89 wrote: »
    Please don't let someone buy them up after their first game or two and die a slow, miserable death like Bioware currently are.

People can't blame ea for everything.

Only thing I'd put at ea's feet is forcing the engine change. Biowares half responsible for how they handled it too, dragon age team doing a lot of the work and then the mass effect team redoing it and failing a lot. Biowares can fail all on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Rumours been flying out about Platinum announcing Wonderful 101 coming to Switch and PS4 today. No word on that but they did post this....

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1224271645721759747

....*shrug* I got nothing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Rumours been flying out about Platinum announcing Wonderful 101 coming to Switch and PS4 today. No word on that but they did post this....

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1224271645721759747

....*shrug* I got nothing :confused:

Maybe they've been given Pikmin 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Maybe they've been given Pikmin 4?

Or Metroid Prime 4.

But, original rumour was true. Wonderful 101 on Kickstarter, Switch/PC/PS4 versions unlocked so far.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/platinumgames/the-wonderful-101-remastered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Bayonetta 2 next plz?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

gizmo wrote: »
    Bayonetta 2 next plz?!

Nintendo ponied up for that so that's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nintendo ponied up for that so that's not going anywhere.
    They ponied up for The Wonderful 101 too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Picked up Strange Brigade in Argos for €8 for PS4 and I've been really enjoying it. Only playing it in single player, even though it's meant to shine in co-op, but it's great fun. It's totally silly and over the top with some very funny narration thrown into the mix. Best €8 Ive spent in a while.

Any recommendation for gaming podcasts? I get 20 -30 minute free time to watch/listen to something and wouldn't mind hearing discussions about upcoming games, news, etc. My friend recommended Alanah Pearce's new show, had troy baker on and was titled delays in gaming. Was an hour long but turned it off street 5 minutes when they were still taking about how sick each of them were. Tried Easy Allies as well but found them hard to listen to when they start gushing over something.

So yeah, any focused shows about games/news with no personal/woke/ranting bollox would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Any recommendation for gaming podcasts? I get 20 -30 minute free time to watch/listen to something and wouldn't mind hearing discussions about upcoming games, news, etc. My friend recommended Alanah Pearce's new show, had troy baker on and was titled delays in gaming. Was an hour long but turned it off street 5 minutes when they were still taking about how sick each of them were. Tried Easy Allies as well but found them hard to listen to when they start gushing over something.

So yeah, any focused shows about games/news with no personal/woke/ranting bollox would be appreciated.

Cane and rinse is very good. They pick a classic game every week and discuss it. There’s an American girl on it every two or three episodes who’s voice goes through my head but the rest are sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Personally find them all ****e and long winded and going on for way too long about personal stuff before actually getting to the actual content you want.

Only good gaming podcast is retronauts. Very little fluff and filler. However due to the focus on retrogames the news is at the very least... 10 years out of date :D

Easy Allies have and always will be garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Feck, I was about to say Castle Super Beast. This week's rant was about Baby Nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Should I ask what 'baby nut' is....

Tbh I find CSB a bit tedious. Pat just seems like a tiresome friend to have lol.

I like the Beastcast but it doesn't fit any of those requirements above and isn't as good these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I find Sacred Symbols to be a decent listen, It's Colin Moriarty's Playstation podcast and whilst it started off shaky, has developed into a decent listen. He also does a great job of separating his gaming interests from his political interests, so you don't have to worry about being bombarded with anything from that angle.

Checked cain and rinse but way to specific to games i have no interest in. Checked sacred symbols and picked a video about delays in games (interesting topic) but they spent the first 5 minutes talking about 'scallywags' who watch/listen to their stuff without paying but under no obligation to pay. Off it went. For **** sake, Retro is right on this.

I have great discussions with my friends about upcoming games and industry news, it shouldn't be so hard to get that from people with inside access.

One great piece of gaming youtube entertainment is Girlfriend Reviews. Always entertained listening to her witty thoughts on games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Specifically podcasts or is YouTube ok? Cos as it hasn't been suggested, though you may already know of em, but you can't go wrong with Game Makers Toolkit. NoClip also push out great documentaries about specific studios / games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Used to enjoy Pat but he's become a caricature as it appeals to the Twitch crowd, which is fair enough as it pays the bills. I can only tolerate him in small doses now.

Woolie is cool though.

Ah yes, i love the no clip docs, the recent Outer Wilds one was brilliant, must subscribe to their channel so i actually get updates. YouTube or podcasts, just something handy to put on in the background.

This is class, Sunhi makes absolutely class gifs, great seeing someone make something out of love and get recognition from the content creators.

Not happy with Cory's pronounciation of gif though :)

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/1225088058602573824?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ah yes, i love the no clip docs, the recent Outer Wilds one was brilliant, must subscribe to their channel so i actually get updates. YouTube or podcasts, just something handy to put on in the background.
    Noclip has a podcast too, separate from the docs: http://noclippodcast.libsyn.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 4500U benchmarks leaked

8th-gen console performance from a 15W laptop chip!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm playing Hitman at the moment. Stripped a guy down to his boxers :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm playing Hitman at the moment. Stripped a guy down to his boxers :eek:

Fr Ted: You're a priest, why did you take the other priest's clothes?
    Fr Todd Unctious: Ah I don't know, it was just going that way. :pac:

Advertisement