Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

No V Sync in menus is just laziness from devs. Maps in game are another culprit.

Weirdly enough i used to see it on PC a lot more but these days most games im playing on PC ot is applied. Happens way more often on PS4 Pro

Terminator Resistance

Hidden Gem

That is all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terminator Resistance

Hidden Gem

That is all

For me it's one of those games like Dead Space where the critics at the time thought it was average to good (in the case of Terminator, average to bad) but the public love it. Then when you play it you realise the critics were spot on and you should never trust popular public opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Terminator Resistance

Hidden Gem

That is all
    I've caught a few reviews of this, including Jim Sterling who basically called it a budget Fallout. Though he did emphasise tempering expectations given its micro-budget. Is it really as good as folks are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ah hear if you can't enjoy dead space you might want to pick another hobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Dead Space has some really nice audio and art design but I didn't like it much either. I think the pacing and progression or something made it not very enjoyable imo.

Resident Evil was rubbish at the time though, so it stood out. Now RE is great again (sorry).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't say I didn't enjoy it. I enjoyed it enough to finish it but it's no classic some people make it out to be. It's a poor man's Resident Evil 4. It doesn't have the variety and inventiveness in it's set pieces like Resi 4 did and as a result it gets tired about a third of the way through.

Have to agree with the previous poster that it's got some world class sound design. Even when I was playing it in stereo is was insanely good and can only imagine it in 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dead Space has some really nice audio and art design but I didn't like it much either. I think the pacing and progression or something made it not very enjoyable imo.

Resident Evil was rubbish at the time though, so it stood out. Now RE is great again (sorry).

The movement borking they did on the PC port of Dead Space finished me off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm easily appeased too. I'm excited Shipment 24/7 is up on COD this week. I actually stayed away from Dead Space for years as I didn't think I'd enjoy it. Getting the bejaysus scared out of me isn't me idea of fun. I really liked all three tbh but loved the atmosphere of the first most of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone else picking up Warcraft III: Reforged?

Got it downloading now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Anyone else picking up Warcraft III: Reforged?

Got it downloading now.

Tempted for the single-player anyway, but kinda burnt out on the *Craft games' multiplayer generally; the emphasis on CPM & balancing made it hard to just "enjoy" games past a certain point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bambi wrote: »

Same as. Tried to play it and just couldn't, the movement was just awful.

Bambi wrote: »

I remember that disaster. Look speed tied to performance. Then never fixed it.

So basically the better your PC ran the game the worse the control issues were while if you were running it at a chuggy optimistic 30 fps like on consoles it ran grand.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For me it's one of those games like Dead Space where the critics at the time thought it was average to good (in the case of Terminator, average to bad) but the public love it. Then when you play it you realise the critics were spot on and you should never trust popular public opinion.

I've played it

It's good

So wrong

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've caught a few reviews of this, including Jim Sterling who basically called it a budget Fallout. Though he did emphasise tempering expectations given its micro-budget. Is it really as good as folks are saying?

Hidden Gem

It's enjoyable. Not everything has to be brilliant.
    I've had more fun with it than a tonne of stuff in 2019

It's on par with Ace Combat 7 which is overrated

Aw Hell no. You've gone too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Only by people who haven't played other Ace Combats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Kiith wrote: »
    I've also had a hard time getting into anything open worldy for a while now. Even Fallen Jedi, which i really was enjoying, ended up getting dropped at around 75%. Not sure what it is tbh...just burned out on these types of games i'd assume.

Trying some more indie type games at the moment. I've put a few hundred hours into Starsector over the last few months, and its probably become one of my favourite all time games. Absolutely adore it. I'm also starting to enjoy Project Zomboid the last few days.

I picked up Horace on Epic last week, loving it. And I wouldn't have had the patience (or time, really) for platformers like VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy. But the combination of the story and variety is excellent, and it's gernally pretty fair.

Have to get back to Disco Elysium too, got distracted by something else and keep forgetting about it, but haven't enjoyed reading text in a game as much in years. I keep finding myself subconsciously roleplaying as Matt Berry's Detective Inspector Rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Anyone into Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Jordan 199 wrote: »

I liked Dirt Rally, but I found 2.0 impossibly difficult. So I've moved on to WRC8 instead which I've been enjoying a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Jordan 199 wrote: »

It needs a steering wheel to get the most out of to, but they're both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Agreed, I use a Logitech G920 wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I've heard very conflicting reports on Deadly Premonition. Seems to be the marmite of video games. As a huge fan of the old style survival horror games from the mid 90's to early 00's I'd love to give it a try. I see it recently got a Switch port. To those who have played it, is it worth picking up? If so, which would be the better version? I can get it on PS3 or Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have it installed on my ps3 trying to device whether to try it or start demons souls.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have it installed on my ps3 trying to device whether to try it or start demons souls.

It's mad you saying that as I've been sitting trying to decide on the PS3 or Switch version of DP and where I might be able to buy an inexpensive copy but then thought maybe I'll just play Demons Soul's again as I've only finished it once before.

Deadly Premonition is quite expensive for a PS3 game. €35 in CEX the cheapest I can see but not in stock. The Switch version is a straight port of the original so no extra content or improved visuals. I'll keep an eye out for the PS3 version. Only just read it's getting a sequel this year.

I didn't even know i had it, was in my download list, looked it up and saw it was part of ps plus :)

I didn't even know i had it, was in my download list, looked it up and saw it was part of ps plus :)

Nice one. It's available on PS Store but is 11GB so unable to buy from there. I bought the PS3 just for Demon's Souls, and had no plans to play anything else, so I picked up the cheapest version I could find which was the 12GB Super Slim.

If you do play it be sure to post your thoughts on it.

Nice one. It's available on PS Store but is 11GB so unable I'm m to buy from there. I bought the PS3 just for Demon's Souls, and had no plans to play anything else, so I picked up the cheapest version I could find which was the 12GB Super Slim.

If you do play it be sure to post your thoughts on it.

Aw bollox. Gamestop were selling all size ps3's for the same price, weirdly, so i managed a 120gb.

I'm just watching the demons souls intro, regretting it already :pac:

Deadly premonition looks mad though, will definitely give it a look.

Aw bollox. Gamestop were selling all size ps3's for the same price, weirdly, so i managed a 120gb.

I'm just watching the demons souls intro, regretting it already :pac:

Deadly premonition looks mad though, will definitely give it a look.

If you want the full Demon's Souls experience with Co op, Invasions and community influenced World Tendency you should check the DS sub reddit for details of the private server that was set up after official servers were shut down.

It's possible to manipulate World Tendency yourself on a single player play through but might be tough going from Pure Black to Pure White (for example).

• Advertisement

Demons Souls aged incredibly well, wasn't expecting it to look or play as good. Can't see an option to play on a private server though, looks completely offline.

Popped on deadly premonition. What in the jaysus is going on. Twin peaks meets silent hill.

Advertisement