Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=38s&v=86WEayuHBOw

https://youtu.be/TmVxnWZrFk4

I presume most have already seen these. Two videos Dovea made about their beef bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

DukeCaboom wrote: »

I presume most have already seen these. Two videos Dovea made about their beef bulls.

Some super calves
    Like the LSP heifer in the first
    There’s a fantastic BB heifer in the second, would like to know the sire
    Defo would use both next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

He's the type of farmer I like, says it like it is. "The last bull we had here, twas about 15 years ago, he was a super 52 bull. There was 10 great calves & some awful rubbish" :D

He's the type of farmer I like, says it like it is. "The last bull we had here, twas about 15 years ago, he was a super 52 bull. There was 10 great calves & some awful rubbish" :D

That was hilarious in fairness.

That was hilarious in fairness.

He's right too! It's the reason I won't let a bull in, though it would be easier. Wouldn't suit every cow we have, plus variety is the spice of life :cool:

• Advertisement

He's right too! It's the reason I won't let a bull in, though it would be easier. Wouldn't suit every cow we have, plus variety is the spice of life :cool:

True, especially when hoping for replacements off some and export quality off others
    Used a bull on 1/2 of the cows this year
    Has brought the calving forward a good bit
    AI is great, but it’s too easy to miss time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That John Lynch of Dovea is a great cattle man. Saw him control a mad bull acting up one day in Roscrea. I don't think many others would have been able to do it. Fierce helpful to other breeders at sales too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That John Lynch of Dovea is a great cattle man. Saw him control a mad bull acting up one day in Roscrea. I don't think many others would have been able to do it. Fierce helpful to other breeders at sales too.
    Real interest in stock, and fierce helpful
    Met him in overalls in Carrick trimming bulls
    Give you good tips & encouragement

Ernevalley Madison (LM4745) first calves

https://www.facebook.com/doveagenetics/videos/1385990971610427

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

First time using ZAG this year mainly on heifers. He is easy calving and the calves are up drinking in no time. Are his calves a bit short and butty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Farm365 wrote: »
    First time using ZAG this year mainly on heifers. He is easy calving and the calves are up drinking in no time. Are his calves a bit short and butty?

They generally are alrite but are usually well muscled with good shape.

He's only 1 star for milk too, which is crazy considering his back breeding. Still, he's the kind of bull you'll use again as he is so well proven now and ideal for heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

We have 4 Zag calves this year, all calved themselves. Set of twins are smallish but that's to be expected. Another bull & he's average size. Then a hiefer whose the runt of all the calves this year (measured 90kg at 60 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

They are muscular but not very tall.

Gremlins.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Anybody buy any straws from K genetics in Donegal and how did they get on buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Anybody buy any straws from K genetics in Donegal and how did they get on buying from them.

I bought a few of him. I'd no problem anyways

Do many of you store bought straws with your AI technician? I have maybe 30 or more with mine and he's starting to get a bit grumpy over it. With pedigrees, I like to keep a range so as to match with different cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How many of those would you use in a year?

How many of those would you use in a year?
    Maybe 15 to 20.

• Advertisement

Bought a few
    Nice lad

Do many of you store bought straws with your AI technician? I have maybe 30 or more with mine and he's starting to get a bit grumpy over it. With pedigrees, I like to keep a range so as to match with different cows.

Had the same or maybe he was away when the PB cow was Bulling
    Bought a tank recently for that reason

Yes, but I try & keep my limit to ten in the goblet I have space in, plus order in for the year ahead in Spring. Have also told him he can work away off my straws if he likes/someone asks for one. Once it's replaced or he gets me a straw I'm looking for which mightn't be easy to come by.
    Bit of give & take needed.

Oh actually add TVR to my list of bulls used this year. Just one more left to AI (hopefully) this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That's overkill tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Has anyone used First CH2216? Is he easy calving? Thinking of using him on HF cow second Calver

Has anyone used First CH2216? Is he easy calving? Thinking of using him on HF cow second Calver

Would the calves be too plain?
    Prefer Fleetwood

If I want to genotype a heifer to verify its parentage, is it on icbf where I can order the testing kit?

If I want to genotype a heifer to verify its parentage, is it on icbf where I can order the testing kit?

Yes
    Go to services - Genomic Services - place an order

Yes
    Go to services - Genomic Services - place an order

Am I right in saying that the Dam and Sire have to be on the system already to verify both as parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Am I right in saying that the Dam and Sire have to be on the system already to verify both as parents.

Yes they do. I did 4 1st calvers earlier this year as they were down with unknown sire. 2 matched but other 2 returned unknown as the sire wasn't genotyped.

Advertisement