Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just received & installed a DDPai mini 2

Initial impressions are good. Good video quality (I've it set to 1080 and not the 2k). Its neat & tidy, and quite hard to spot from the outside unless you're looking for it. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Only issues (which I knew about before buying) is the SD card isn't readable on a mac, but I've found a way around this by using my 'spare' G1W as a card reader in Mass Storage mode, meaning I can access the card and pull files, as I like to store files & do videos with iMac/iMovie, it's odd that I can't use a standard SD card reader, or even the Nextbase 112 below, it only works with the G1W!

Also, the first video of the 2 journeys I made today had the sound & video off sync by about 10 seconds, this corrected though once onto the following video file. I'll keep an eye on this, but seem to remember the M6 Plus doing the same when I first got it.

(I've also just sent my DDPai M6 Plus (which bricked last week) back to China, they said they'd fix it for me and return it, and cover my postage cost, so we'll see how that turns out)

Also arrived in the same delivery was a Nextbase 112 (bought for my mothers car), and I have to say it's a really nice little unit, feels very well built, and it's nice and compact with not a huge suction cup mount. Being only 720p won't really be an issue, as I only want it to be reliable, and to record at a basic enough quality, which it seems to do.
    I'll give it a week or 2, and if there are no issues, I might get another to replace the G1W I use when in rental cars, as it's been getting battered about for a good 18 months or so now, and its starting to show some wear & tear (there are cracks showing on the body of it where the mount clips on, so someday it'll break, and be un-mountable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

What does "only connect to a negative ground DC supply circuit" and "not for installation to positive" mean re hardwiring dashcam with nextbase kit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

What does "only connect to a negative ground DC supply circuit" and "not for installation to positive" mean re hardwiring dashcam with nextbase kit?

All cars in Ireland are negative earth so fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

A few days ago, I posted about an issue with my Nextbase 402G. The file containing the end of every journey would not open. To make matters worse, the same problem is happening with my wife's camera.

To make a long story short, the problem is the batteries in the cameras are dead.

The camera itself is just over two years old and out of warranty. However, I would expect to get longer out of a camera.

Got on to Nextbase and they admit the camera should last longer but they can't post me a replacement battery due the restrictions on posting batteries internationally.

In summary, I'm goosed. Even though I thought the 402G created excellent footage, I don't think I will get another one based on this experience.

I recommend if you are Nextbase 402G owner check your camera and see if the last file of each journey is corrupted.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What type of battery is in it? Can you bodge a fix?

The battery looks like this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7V-250mAh-402035-Polymer-Li-Po-Rechargeable-Battery-For-Mp3-Bluetooth-GPS-PSP-/121826361964#shpCntId

but I don't know the exact spec of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

TheBody wrote: »
    Got on to Nextbase and they admit the camera should last longer but they can't post me a replacement battery due the restrictions on posting batteries internationally.

Tell them you'll post the camera to them, and they can replace the battery and send it back to you.

It's gas that people won't ship batteries internationally, yet will happily ship you a dash cam with a battery inside it!!

I know officially batteries are not allowed in the international postal system.
    Is this enforced?

Is there somewhere in Ireland I can get them?

Tell them you'll post the camera to them, and they can replace the battery and send it back to you.

It's gas that people won't ship batteries internationally, yet will happily ship you a dash cam with a battery inside it!!

They said I can do that but it will cost me £31.20 per camera for repair. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

How about using ParcelWizard, would nextbase send a replacement battery to the North?

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    How about using ParcelWizard, would nextbase send a replacement battery to the North?

I tried that too. They said they will only post to mainland uk.

Extremely disappointed with Nextbase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

@TheBody

An Post address pal will give you a uk address

@TheBody

An Post address pal will give you a uk address

Thanks for that suggestion. I called address pal and they said they problem is with the airline, not them. They said the post would be scanned at Heathrow Airport and if it was seen to be a battery, it would be returned to sender.

I've e-mailed a local electronics store to see if they can source one for me.

Patww79 wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out they have a live chat on their website.

Sadly they do not have a battery to suit.

I'm going to send Maplin's an e-mail now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I got a pair of replacement batteries from China fir a SMH10 Senna . No problem posted .

Riva10 wrote: »
    I got a pair of replacement batteries from China fir a SMH10 Senna . No problem posted .

I'm beginning to think it might be worth a punt to try that.

I hate the thought of throwing out a perfectly good camera over a battery I can get for £5 in China!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rocoma

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Finally my Mobius cought careless neighbor ding my car with his door. Love that little thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Finally my Mobius cought careless neighbor ding my car with his door. Love that little thing :)

Hey, you can't just finish the story there!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    I got a Thinkware F100 camera for the wife's car. My first foray into dash cams and it's fine for what it is. They're a Korean brand and supposed to be good from what I've read.

I fitted it myself and it came with the connection kit that allows for recording while parked. It's capacitor based so no battery to blow up in our searing temperature summers. There's the option to connect a rear camera too, I haven't done that yet as I wanted to see what it was like first. I didn't bother with the GPS option on it.
    Will probably look at their F800 for my own car.

products_f100_fail_safe_recording.jpg

I have the f800, seems decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

AddressPal ships via boat, so they can ship batteries. At least that's how I got my Anker power bank from Amazon. Parcel Motel use airfreight so no go. Ridiculous that you literally cannot get LiPo batteries into the country. Perfectly safe to be carried onto the plane for travel across the world. I highly doubt all the airsoft, RC car and drone batteries are ferried into Ireland.

On that subject, my 402G also doesn't hold a charge and it's only a year old. On top of the recent "insert SD card error". My GoPro 4 has been charged twice a day for a year and still does me over an hour. Have 3 spare batteries though, wish that had some sort of dashcam setup!

My mam's new 212G also isn't recording over old files, it just says SD card full. A quick Google suggest a problem with the firmware and that it doesn't play nice with Class 10 cards?

Jesus NextBase are absolutely crap. Shame most dashcams are generic Chinese crap but rebranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

DaveyDave wrote: »
    AddressPal ships via boat, so they can ship batteries. At least that's how I got my Anker power bank from Amazon. Parcel Motel use airfreight so no go.

Parcel Motel uses vans - they don't cross any water...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Patww79 wrote: »
    Has to cross water to get to them though.

Not your problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

TheBody wrote: »
    Thanks for that suggestion. I called address pal and they said they problem is with the airline, not them. They said the post would be scanned at Heathrow Airport and if it was seen to be a battery, it would be returned to sender.

I've e-mailed a local electronics store to see if they can source one for me.
    Just a thought (Oh the pain) Might be worth a try in an electronic repair shop for an mp3 battery. These would be same voltage and you do not need a very ah .

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

blade1 wrote: »
    Hey, you can't just finish the story there!:pac:

Left a note and hope he wont do it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Our beloved RAV is for sale

https://www.adverts.ie/14572657

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭v240gltse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement