Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

WD40 is good for removing glue residue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Dental floss works well to get it off too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't use metal on the glass to scrape it off, you'll only scratch the windscreen! Use dental floss to get under the adhesive and remove the mount, then you should be able to use a cloth and some warm water to clean the rest off.

That's only if blade is in tool.

A new blade at an angle will not scratch at all if done right.

Used many times for tint removed, tax disc holders and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unwantedchild

<Only users with 10 posts or more can post>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Redchick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

(I've also just sent my DDPai M6 Plus (which bricked last week) back to China, they said they'd fix it for me and return it, and cover my postage cost, so we'll see how that turns out)

Update on this. Item was delivered to China last week, so I emailed them yesterday asking for an update, and Amazon shot the email back to me saying this seller no longer existed on their system.

I contacted Amazon, who were able to verify the communication between myself and the seller, and they agreed that something isn't right, so they've refunded me the £99.99 I paid for the M6+ (bought it in November 2016), so bit of a result, although I'm still down the €13 it cost me to send it back to China, but you never know, I might still end up with a repaired or replaced camera in the post!!

Also, just ordered my 3rd Yi Dashcam (there is a £5.99 promotion active on it, so its only working out at about £32 for what is an excellent dash cam)

this one will be a spare, kept in the box until needed somewhere. I've used the 2nd one I ordered a few times now (1st was for my cousin), and it's bloody excellent, I just hope it's reliable. I'll be doing about 14/15 hours driving in a rental over the next few days, so that'll be a chance to give it a good test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Also, just ordered my 3rd Yi Dashcam (there is a £5.99 promotion active on it, so its only working out at about £32 for what is an excellent dash cam)

Are you getting the £5.99 off each one? I just put two in my basket but only got one promotion. Changed it back to one and bought. If I try to buy another it says the promotion is already redeemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just ordered one too, thanks for the link!

Are you getting the £5.99 off each one? I just put two in my basket but only got one promotion. Changed it back to one and bought. If I try to buy another it says the promotion is already redeemed.

I bought the 1st one about 3 weeks ago, and got a £7.99 promotion off it.

got the same promotion about a week later, but that particular promotion wouldn't work for me a 3rd time a few days later.

Checked again yesterday and there was the new £5.99 promotion, and used it, but it's only 1 promotion for buying a YI product, It doesn't get doubled if you buy 2 or more.

Give it about a week and try again, and hopefully you'll get the promotion again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

161 30 kW nissan leaf SVE.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-nissan-leaf-sve-tekna-30kw/17528008

Very sad to see it go 😔 but new job forces sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Just after seeing the xiaomi yi is on a lightning deal on amazon uk at the moment its down to £30.99 think there is only a few minutes left might be useful to somebody
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517777801&sr=8-1&keywords=xiaomi+yi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Don't use metal on the glass to scrape it off, you'll only scratch the windscreen! Use dental floss to get under the adhesive and remove the mount, then you should be able to use a cloth and some warm water to clean the rest off.

Have to say mate, from having a phobia of DIY i wish I had your mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a good dashcam that will do recording when the vehicle is not switched on. Also for that to be an option does it need to be hardwired?

Or even a dashcam that could last a couple of hours, for instance most damage I've incurred would have been if I've parked to go in and do a shop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a good dashcam that will do recording when the vehicle is not switched on. Also for that to be an option does it need to be hardwired?

Or even a dashcam that could last a couple of hours, for instance most damage I've incurred would have been if I've parked to go in and do a shop etc.

Someone had a good idea on another thread here.

Use a standard usb power bank, so usb/cigerette lighter to powerbank and then powerbank to dashcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pippip wrote: »
    Someone had a good idea on another thread here.

Use a standard usb power bank, so usb/cigerette lighter to powerbank and then powerbank to dashcam.

Would a powerbank release electricity while it is being charged at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

grogi wrote: »
    Would a powerbank release electricity while it is being charged at the same time?

Yes, you'd want to check the exact power bank but it is a common feature on mainstream ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

<no chat>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

car sold

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭CiboC

I give you a rare opportunity to one one of Turin's finest moments.....:

https://www.adverts.ie/car/fiat/multipla/fiat-multipla/14731376

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

TheBody wrote: »
    A few days ago, I posted about an issue with my Nextbase 402G. The file containing the end of every journey would not open. To make matters worse, the same problem is happening with my wife's camera.

To make a long story short, the problem is the batteries in the cameras are dead.

The camera itself is just over two years old and out of warranty. However, I would expect to get longer out of a camera.

Got on to Nextbase and they admit the camera should last longer but they can't post me a replacement battery due the restrictions on posting batteries internationally.

In summary, I'm goosed. Even though I thought the 402G created excellent footage, I don't think I will get another one based on this experience.

I recommend if you are Nextbase 402G owner check your camera and see if the last file of each journey is corrupted.

I'm quoting myself (from about a month ago) here for context.

Even though there are restrictions on the postage of batteries, I figured I'd chance it anyway. I ordered 4 batteries for $10 from an ebay seller in China.

The package arrived PLASTERED in stickers about hazardous material inside and how it does not conform with EU regs!! Anyway, the important thing is that it got here!!

Anyway, today and I changed over the batteries in both dashcams and low and behold, both are working perfectly now. I'm delighted with myself.

Once again, if you currently own a Nextbase 402G I strongly recommend you check to see if the last clip of each journey is recording. I have a pdf with detailed instructions of how to change the batteries if anybody needs it.

Safe motoring everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

My wifes Astra Estate
    2013. NCT Aug '19
    Driving perfectly
    Selling as we bought a Skoda Superb estate, more room for 2 kids.
    Anyone calling quoting this thread gets a special price..!!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-vauxhall-astra-1-7-nct-08-19/17965363

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The package arrived PLASTERED in stickers about hazardous material inside and how it does not conform with EU regs!! Anyway, the important thing is that it got here!!

Was it plastered by the seller or by the customs?

grogi wrote: »
    Was it plastered by the seller or by the customs?

I can’t say for sure but I suspect it was customs. My reasoning for this is I doubt a seller in China would care or have stickers referencing some EU regulation to stick on their packages.

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'm quoting myself (from about a month ago) here for context.

Even though there are restrictions on the postage of batteries, I figured I'd chance it anyway. I ordered 4 batteries for $10 from an ebay seller in China.

It seems my Nextbase 402G is doing the same thing, could you let me know how you get on with the replacement? Oh and if you have a link to the specific battery you bought?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It seems my Nextbase 402G is doing the same thing, could you let me know how you get on with the replacement? Oh and if you have a link to the specific battery you bought?

Nate

No problem. I'm at work at the moment but I'll get back to you this evening with the info.

You will need a soldering iron and a very small philips screwdriver. Lidl had soldering irons for sale last week for €10 if you don't have one.

• Advertisement

if you currently own a Nextbase 402G I strongly recommend you check to see if the last clip of each journey is recording.

Chances are as well that the last clip of any journey could be the most crucial clip the camera ever records, as chances are in an accident situation, if the power isn't already cut off from any sort of impact, the natural tendency might be to switch the engine off while out inspecting damage or exchanging info!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement