Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭passatman86

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-ej9-nct-tax/16525440

Im selling or looking for a swap with a 1.8 petrol turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Where is the best place to put the dash cam. Behind mirror or on the dash. Wouldn't dash be safer if the suction came unstuck as it would fall on dash hopefull caught before floor

I've put mine Yi camera behind/under the mirror on drivers side so the lens are in the middle of the windscreen. Used the sticky mount provided as I won't be moving it between the cars any soon.
    Sorry for dark photo but you'll get an idea.

bB4fIp5.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Where is the best place to put the dash cam. Behind mirror or on the dash. Wouldn't dash be safer if the suction came unstuck as it would fall on dash hopefull caught before floor
    Another good reason to hard wire it. Mine is like Magic's above and the wire goes over the mirror then tucked away. It has come loose twice (in 17 months, my fault) and dropped but just hung from the mirror so no damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Cortina_MK_IV and Magic ]=). Thanks. I will be getting a nextbase 112. I would like to tape it to the edge of the the lip above the screen . I am wary of lifting the lip. would insulating tape do

Do you guys have it wired into the fusebox too or the ciglighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Thinking of getting a dash cam. Aldi are getting some in this Thursday - Reka 1080 Pixel for 49.99.
    Has anybody bought one from Aldi before, if so what was your experience?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Thinking of getting a dash cam. Aldi are getting some in this Thursday - Reka 1080 Pixel for 49.99.
    Has anybody bought one from Aldi before, if so what was your experience?
    Thanks

I got one two years ago and returned it two days later as the quality was pretty bad, I seen similar ones to that in Dunnes Stores now for €15, however the €50 camera in Aldi Thursday is totally different to that. Possibly worth a punt as they took mine back two years ago no problem. Maybe ask about returns when buying it incase it turns out to be a low quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Doltanian wrote: »
    I got one two years ago and returned it two days later as the quality was pretty bad, I seen similar ones to that in Dunnes Stores now for €15, however the €50 camera in Aldi Thursday is totally different to that. Possibly worth a punt as they took mine back two years ago no problem. Maybe ask about returns when buying it incase it turns out to be a low quality.

That's great - thanks for that. Might buy it and try it out and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jimbis wrote: »

I got mine on Monday. The included sticky mount is awful and I've plumped for a Transcend mount which is due to come today. I've only played around with it a little bit but the initial impression is that it's a nice piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Hi

We are buying a new car in the New Year, and thinking of installing a dashcam. Complete novice so excuse all the questions

-Should we get front and back camera?
    -Does it record when the car is parked?
    -Do we need to get someone to install?
    -I know an SD card will be required. What is the best size microcard to get?
    -Recording - I assume this records in a loop? Would that be right?
    - Finally - I've seen the Amazon one mentioned a few posts back. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

TIA and sorry for all the questions! :)

• Advertisement

I got mine on Monday. The included sticky mount is awful and I've plumped for a Transcend mount which is due to come today. I've only played around with it a little bit but the initial impression is that it's a nice piece of kit.

Did you use the Sticky Mount that came with it? I got mine today and it only came with the sticky mount as it seemed there was a little debate online wheter it came with a suction cup or the sticky mount.

Anyway I ordered this suction cup mount from Amazon instead,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XQFP2RH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and my plan is to trial a number of camera positions whilst driving and then when I pick the ideal mounting location I'd use the sticky mount permanently as you can just use it once effectively due to the stick.

Which transcend mount did you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]
    -Should we get front and back camera?
    Depends on your budget.
    -Does it record when the car is parked?
    If you want it to, it can be done so, but it'd cost more if you want to make sure not to have battery drained.
    -Do we need to get someone to install?
    Depends on your abilities. Nobody else knows the answer. ;)
    -I know an SD card will be required. What is the best size microcard to get?
    The largest accepted by a camera. Speed (a.k.a. Class) is a factor as well - the higher, the better.
    -Recording - I assume this records in a loop? Would that be right?
    Yup.
    - Finally - I've seen the Amazon one mentioned a few posts back. Does anyone have any other recommendations? [...]
    Mini 0805 or xiaomi Yi and a few more I can't recall atm.
    TIA and sorry for all the questions! :)
    No problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

text
    Most seem to be going with the Nextbase one, I use 2 Vantrue X1's(£60). Front one is hard wired, it's easy enough installed, I can show you pictures of the setup if you like. Everyone keeps saying be wary of the battery being drained, I've left my car(12 Civic) unused for days with it left in and haven't had an issue.

Out of curiosity has anyone from the forum had issues with their batteries yet due to dashcam :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I tried mine for a day with a suction cup from Amazon - it fell off in the cold and the footage was bouncy. Sticky pad it came with is rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Doltanian wrote: »
    Did you use the Sticky Mount that came with it? I got mine today and it only came with the sticky mount as it seemed there was a little debate online wheter it came with a suction cup or the sticky mount.

Anyway I ordered this suction cup mount from Amazon instead,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XQFP2RH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and my plan is to trial a number of camera positions whilst driving and then when I pick the ideal mounting location I'd use the sticky mount permanently as you can just use it once effectively due to the stick.

Which transcend mount did you buy?

I tried using the sticky mount and it was awful so I ordered the Transcend suction cup from the UK which arrived in Ireland the day after.
    bertie4evr wrote: »
    I tried mine for a day with a suction cup from Amazon - it fell off in the cold and the footage was bouncy. Sticky pad it came with is rock solid.

I couldn't get it to stick to the window or dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

With suction window mounts, I noticed they will not stay on if attached when window is cold or any moisture in the air or on the glass. Best to clean window and plastic suction part (possibly some oily residue from factory or something) and allow to dry completely. Then heat cabin\window (or wait until July) before attaching suction mount and even then wipe with a clean dry cloth before attaching. Stuck solid for last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I wouldalso like to know if anyone had trouble with battery. And can the cigarette lighter be changed to only have power whn car starts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

can a 128GB Micro SD Card Class 10 TF Flash Memory SDHC SDXC - 128G work on the dashcam?
    if no which is the best memeroy card?

i what a good memroy better than 32gb

thanks for your feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

32GB seems to be the max on a 402. Page 5: https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NBDVR402G-english.pdf

I have a 202 and it wouldn't even take a 64GB card.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know or could recommend a good Auto sparks who could neatly hardwire a Dash Cam for me, preferably in Munster (Cork - Kerry ideally) but I wouldn't rule out going to Dublin either if required. I have the Yi Dashcam and I want it to be hardwired as soon as possible. I'd like to hear recommendations from lads who may have used someone previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Any opinions on the Vanture x3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Has anyone tried out the Reka 1080 Pixel Dashboard Camera from Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Have my camera a couple months and am experiencing problems with it. It's a Nextbase 312GW. It's been behaving odd recently. Videos are being cut at irregular intervals when it's set to be 3 minutes. When watching recorded videos through the dash cam itself, sometimes it can stall and go completely black unable to be turned off.

Anyone experience anything similar? I still have the receipt so its still under manufacturers warranty I'm guessing as I only got it this year, just seeing if there's something I can do instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

jaxxx wrote: »
    Have my camera a couple months and am experiencing problems with it. It's a Nextbase 312GW. It's been behaving odd recently. Videos are being cut at irregular intervals when it's set to be 3 minutes. When watching recorded videos through the dash cam itself, sometimes it can stall and go completely black unable to be turned off.

Anyone experience anything similar? I still have the receipt so its still under manufacturers warranty I'm guessing as I only got it this year, just seeing if there's something I can do instead.

I would format the card and check you're getting sufficient power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I would format the card and check you're getting sufficient power.

Oddly enough I thought about the card. I have a separate micro SD card so will load that into it and see how that reacts.Cheers Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

jaxxx wrote: »
    Oddly enough I thought about the card. I have a separate micro SD card so will load that into it and see how that reacts.Cheers Kenny.

Make sure it had the latest firmware. You can download it from the website. Just put it on the sd card and boot up. Then format it.

Also make sure it's a decent brand class 10 card.

Failing that you can always email their UK tech support, but the first thing they'll say is to do the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I've been playing with my Xiaomi Yi Dashcam now for a week and I'm very happy with its quality in 2k, I have a 32GB SD Card and it begins to loop over after about 2.5 hours of footage so it maybe worth investing in a 64GB Card if you regularly make long journeys; but you can easily transfer any footage of interest to your phone whilst on the move via the built-in wifi hotspot to the App.

What I've really noticed and what scared me is just how fast I actually drive when I noticed just how much distance I was going in every 3 minute segment. The Xiaomi YI splits the footage into 3 minute segments which is great for easy archiving and finding footage but a Nuisance if you wanted to post a long roadtrip e.g. Cork to Dublin by Motorway or whatever but thats not what these Dash Cams were intended for and I'd just mount a GoPro if I wanted to do that.

All round I'm very happy with the video quality and I had a 3 hour road trip today with a dirty windscreen and it was raining heavy and and in low dusk light and night time conditions it performed brilliantly, and for £29.99 (€49 with a £13 SD card) it was unbeatable value in terms of quality for price, the likes of Axa and Allianz should order a few artic container loads of them and they should be made mandatory I think and it would go a long way to cutting down insurance fraud and dubious claims to help sort out who was right or wrong.

The emergency record feature also activated once and I have the sensitivity of it set low, a stone ricocheted off the windscreen but never chipped or damaged it thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement