Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Hi folks
    I am having a bit of trouble with the DDPai M6 dash cam.
    All three lights on etc. i can see the live vid on my phone but when I take out the card there is no files on it, Is there a record button i should be pressing before i start the drive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I got a DashCam for Christmas and I have no interest in it,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074X2S1SF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

anyone any idea where I could sell it besides Adverts

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

yeah, thanks, I know donedeal is good for some stuff, I've sold lots on there before but I am a little unsure of where to sell this avoiding all the messers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone have any issues with their DDPAI M6 Plus?

I was away for 2 weeks and my mother had the car. She was only doing small trips and as such, the car battery went flat. She got it jumped, and all is working fine now, except my DDPai is no longer working!

I have the solid green & red lights to show it's receiving power, but thats about it. It's not broadcasting its wifi network, and the camera snapshot button does nothing, and it's no longer recording video!!

Has what has so far been an excellent Dash Cam been found out as not up to the task? Is it time to get a Nextbase?

I haven't done any updates in months.

I checked the card, and it recorded for a full 10 days after I left when my mother was using it, right up to when the car battery died (Christmas eve)(so obviously that was the beginning of the issue)

Why not buy a Nextbase? reviews seem decent enough (was thinking the 312GW)

What are y'all running as a dash cam these days?

(My 1st ever dash cam, a mini 0801 is still performing flawlessly in the rear, and it's coming up on 3 years old, since I got it, I've had a mini 0806 and now the DDPai up front, and both have had issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I only got this a present so no updates yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Any opinions on the Garmin Dash Cam 55? It's on sale over in Halfords but the reviews on Amazon aren't great.

I also like the idea of installing properly rather than plugging into the cig. Do Halfords do a good job of this? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

anyone any idea where I could sell it besides Adverts

I sold a lot of stuff recently using a local Facebook buy and sell group. There were still a few messers but not a bad experience.

oakshade wrote: »
    I sold a lot of stuff recently using a local Facebook buy and sell group. There were still a few messers but not a bad experience.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

https://touch.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/golf/2008-volkswagen-golf/13992927

2008 diesel golf here, vast majority of miles were covered on the motorway and on long trips. Running great, cheap tax and great on diesel. Looking to get rid as I've a new car lined up, all offers considered!

I'm in 2 minds now between getting the following Dash Cams;

I've still not entirely given up on the DDPai M6 Plus - but I'd say it's goose has probably been cooked, which is a shame as it was a really good camera.

YI 2.7K Ultra - Its relatively new, and Techmoan seems to like it, however it's not as discreet as the mini2 as it has a screen (owning the DDPai M6 Plus proved I don't need a screen on my dash cam) - Another downside to the YI is the video files aren't compatible with MAC OS - This is an issue for me.

DDPai mini2 - very nice and discreet looking, and I already have the DDPai app, however it's a DDPai, and I've just been let down by a DDPai!!

Only downside to both is they don't have GPS (which isn't a deal breaker, but having had GPS on my last 2 cams (mini 0806 & DDPai M6 Plus), It's a feature I'd probably like to keep) - Anyone have any other recommendations in a similar price range?

I'm not sure, I believe I bought it within the last 12 months or so.

I need to get onto them for some support.

edit: bought it in November 2016

Thing is I can't find the order in my Amazon history, yet can find the Amazon confirmation emails of when I ordered/bought it!!

I've just sent DDPai a message via their website, so hopefully they can get back to me with some tips on how to get it going again.

I tried the reset button (press for 10+ seconds) but nothing (though I did do this with the camera receiving power)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

http://www.adverts.ie/14502817
    Bought this a few months ago to do some towing, but it never happened.
    It's now surplus to my requirements, if my insurance wasn't so dear I'd keep this and get rid of the e90.
    Cheap comfortable motoring, and it should fly the next nct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I currently have a Mini 0805 but the sound doesn't always work on it anymore.

Anyone got one of the new Mini 0805P dash cams, any opinions on it ? Looks like they replaced the battery with a capacitor, this one also includes a hardwire kit.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-0805P-HD-1296P-Car-Dash-Cam-Dashcam-Video-Recording-GPS-Camera-DVR-New/222745898666?hash=item33dcb0aeaa:g:wo4AAOSw1QpaKAy-

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I love their "flash sale" at £63.99. If you click the "8 sold" link, you'll see they used to sell it for £58 and then £53 before that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

What is the life expectancy of dash cams? What are peoples experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

TheBody wrote: »

I had an early no-name chinese one that lasted about six months.

Then two mini 801s, one of which failed (battery I think) at about 14 months. Traded both these in at halfords for 2x nextbase 312gw. These are both still fine after 18 months but do need firmware updates regularly.

The next amazon order I make will have two replacent sd cards for the next base cameras to hopefully fend off any issues with card write limits.

My ideal camera would be the size of the mini 801 but more reliable.

Just to say it's one camera per car 😀

TheBody wrote: »

Mini 0801 - 3 years old and still working 100%

Mini 0806 - about 1 year before it became unreliable and it would stop recording without notice on certain journeys

DDPai M6 Plus - about a year before it bricked itself!!

Just ordered a DDPai mini 2 - hopefully get more than a year out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Itronics ITB100HD bought 5 years ago (end of 2012) still going like new.

Two Mini0805 bought 2 years ago - apart from occasional freezes, one goes well, another one records fine (picture and sound I mean), but give no startup/shutdown sounds after recent firmware update - going back to previous firmware did not solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have a NextBase 402G that is showing up with "Please insert SD card" errors. Formatted the card and currently have it connected to the PC and files are showing up fine. I already formatted the card which didn't seem to help. I had this issue last year and got a new SD card. Don't want to spend another €30.

SD card shouldn't die in a year, never had one die between several phones and a GoPro so I'm blaming the camera. Anyone with similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have a NextBase 402G that is showing up with "Please insert SD card" errors. Formatted the card and currently have it connected to the PC and files are showing up fine. I already formatted the card which didn't seem to help. I had this issue last year and got a new SD card. Don't want to spend another €30.

SD card shouldn't die in a year, never had one die between several phones and a GoPro so I'm blaming the camera. Anyone with similar issues?

Yes, read up a few posts about my current problem.

I’m waiting for a new “endurance” card to come in the post. I’m hoping that will fix the problem. I’ll post back when I see if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I currently have a Mini 0805 but the sound doesn't always work on it anymore.

Anyone got one of the new Mini 0805P dash cams, any opinions on it ? Looks like they replaced the battery with a capacitor, this one also includes a hardwire kit.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-0805P-HD-1296P-Car-Dash-Cam-Dashcam-Video-Recording-GPS-Camera-DVR-New/222745898666?hash=item33dcb0aeaa:g:wo4AAOSw1QpaKAy-

cormie wrote: »
    I love their "flash sale" at £63.99. If you click the "8 sold" link, you'll see they used to sell it for £58 and then £53 before that!

Maybe the previous prices didn't include the hardwire kit ? Regardless £63 or £64 seems to be the going price for the Mini 0805P on ebay from UK suppliers.

Reading some of the recent posts it seems that in general dashcams aren't exactly very reliable if you get a couple of years out of them you are doing well !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement