Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

ION08 wrote: »
    Have tried a Few and the BEST one by a mile is the TP LINK NC-450

There's plenty of shops cheaper than Woodies when it comes to electronics btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

yannakis wrote: »
    There's plenty of shops cheaper than Woodies when it comes to electronics btw.

If you're being seriously undercut by Harvey Norman and Littlewoods then you're just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Just picked up one of these after reading some good reviews, popped up on HUKD with a code OMII9RWN it drops it to £37.79, ive a couple of their products already and they seem to be good quality.

2811676.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/?tag=ho01f-21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

projectgtr wrote: »
    Just picked up one of these after reading some good reviews, popped up on HUKD with a code OMII9RWN it drops it to £37.79, ive a couple of their products already and they seem to be good quality.

I have two of these and they are very, very good. Yi is part of Xiaomi. Xiaomi is huge in China and they make the China equivalent of the iPhone. Its so good in fact, they are a viable competitor to Samsung and Apple. So you are actually buying a pretty reputable brand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaomi

To give you a further example of their size:

Xiaomi managed to break the world record for "most mobile phones sold on a single online platform in 24 hours", by selling 2,112,010 handsets through its direct-to-customer website Mi.com

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I got a Thinkware F100 camera for the wife's car. My first foray into dash cams and it's fine for what it is. They're a Korean brand and supposed to be good from what I've read.

I fitted it myself and it came with the connection kit that allows for recording while parked. It's capacitor based so no battery to blow up in our searing temperature summers. There's the option to connect a rear camera too, I haven't done that yet as I wanted to see what it was like first. I didn't bother with the GPS option on it.
    Will probably look at their F800 for my own car.

products_f100_fail_safe_recording.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Trying to come up with an easy to use front and rear solution for my OH's dad. Drives a Renault Master and wouldn't dream of drilling holes so I'm suck with the likes of this for the rear camera.

Camera is built into a replacement brake light which sits in the centre of the rear door. Very tidy so I just need to sort out the cab bits. Has a connector for the reversing light and a standard RCA/3.5 mm connector, PAL/NTSC so shouldn't be too hard to find a DVR for the cab.

So I suppose my requirements for the front are:
    1. Easy to use DVR (dealing with a proud technophobe here) with a rear camera input which can switch automatically to the rear when the reversing light comes on. 4" screen would be great but not essential.
    2. Decent quality front camera. Doesn't have to be integrated into the DVR.
    I was thinking something along the lines of this would be nearly ideal if you could swap the cameras. I believe it should be possible. I'm very conscious that this is cheap Chinese cr*p so I'm very wary. Reviews are mixed and other products which look identical have very obvious shill reviews. Has anyone else done something similar?

Another option would be a two input DVR/monitor to stick in the centre console and just get a discrete front camera to stick on the windshield, but it's very hard to find that DVR/monitor combination, especially one with auto-reverse.

I can find all the individual components, so rear cam, front cam, DVR box, and separate monitor, but it's getting very complicated at that stage and would be less cost efficient. Ideally this would be done for €160 all in, maybe pushing towards €200.

Edit: Has anyone any experience with this Junsun dual-dashcam?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Sensor-Automatic-Recording-Detection-Monitoring/dp/B01HSVLX3G

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

2005 Honda Stream for sale, It's been up for a while and I need to shift it so a sensible offer will secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I bought this for a van :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOGUARD-recording-Rearview-G-sensor-CE684-no-LDWS-FCWS/dp/B01N21P0FG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Still testing and haven't set the rear cam up yet. I bought it for the reversing function though for tight spaces and liked the recording function front and back. Main front camera works anyway. The window mount is poor quality and not quick release. Not very stealthy either. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Patww79 wrote: »

I used to think that, then I realised that GPS isn't of any use unless you want to check your speed passing a GoSafe van. In an accident, you're going to want the last 30s of footage and if you are speeding, you don't want that info there, so its a double edge sword.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ironclaw wrote: »
    if you are speeding, you don't want that info there, so its a double edge sword.

You can set the gps to not display speed on the video if you want, but the files will still be kept.

Though I’ve probably used the gps feature to almost ‘police’ myself in terms of speed limits.

I wouldn’t have been a regular for speeding anyway, but knowing that the speed is on my video, I’m always a little bit more conscious of my speed. (Dashcam is my extra insurance in any accident, so I want it all above board).

*my travel dash cam doesn’t have GPS, and in the U.K. Hertz always give me big dirty AMG Mercs and the like!!

zapata wrote: »
    I bought this for a van :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOGUARD-recording-Rearview-G-sensor-CE684-no-LDWS-FCWS/dp/B01N21P0FG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Still testing and haven't set the rear cam up yet. I bought it for the reversing function though for tight spaces and liked the recording function front and back. Main front camera works anyway. The window mount is poor quality and not quick release. Not very stealthy either. :o
    Cheers! Comparing that to the Junsen side by side it looks like they're the same thing rebadged, so ideal if it works. I'd probably end up mounting it properly, stealth isn't a huge issue, the lack of might even be better as he's always giving out about teens messing with his wipers at night time, might act as a deterrent.

Is playback easy to use? Any other quirks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Went ahead and ordered this. Seems to be an updated clone of the one we were talking about. Slightly more expensive but the seller's in Dublin so easier to deal with, plus free delivery.

We'll see how it goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'll be purchasing a dash cam soon. If I go for the nextbase in Halfords, anyone know how much for camera and for them to fit it connected to fuse box?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

iggy wrote: »
    I'll be purchasing a dash cam soon. If I go for the nextbase in Halfords, anyone know how much for camera and for them to fit it connected to fuse box?
    Cheers
    €35 to have it hard-wired but as for camera, depends on your budget.

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sweeno69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

has any anyone bought Garmin Dash Cam 45 and 55 or nextbase 312gw.
    are they anygod at night time?
    does haldfords hard-wired i know they set up nextbase do they do garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Halford's do any cam you buy; doesn't have to be Nextbase.

Garmin 45 at night.

Nextbase 312gw at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Mr Snow wrote: »
    has any anyone bought Garmin Dash Cam 45 and 55 or nextbase 312gw.
    are they anygod at night time?
    does haldfords hard-wired i know they set up nextbase do they do garmin

I have the 312gw and the 412fgw in the second car.

I will be driving tonight and can upload some footage from the 312gw over the weekend if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

davo2001 wrote: »
    I have the 312gw and the 412fgw in the second car.

I will be driving tonight and can upload some footage from the 312gw over the weekend if you want?

thanks that would help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

How much can you expect your local mechanic to hardwire one in for you? Ballpark.
    Saw a recommended one on this thread from amazon, so I am assuming i cant walk in to Halfords and ask them to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

mel123 wrote: »
    How much can you expect your local mechanic to hardwire one in for you? Ballpark.
    Saw a recommended one on this thread from amazon, so I am assuming i cant walk in to Halfords and ask them to fit it.

Standard garage labour cost which would be usually €60 per hour at least (or part there of depending on the garage).

Honestly, it's not a big job, do it yourself.

Any idea how much fuse taps tend to be in motor factors? Seeing €4-5 each on micksgarage. I'll go look in the morning but just wondering should I order a bunch on eBay for a couple of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Got my 1st dash cam last week, I can only say what a pain in the a$$ it is having to remove the card to get footage. Camera is also screwed onto the window mount and not quick release.
    Wireless connectivity through an app will be top of my list on the next dash cam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement