Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Chances are as well that the last clip of any journey could be the most crucial clip the camera ever records, as chances are in an accident situation, if the power isn't already cut off from any sort of impact, the natural tendency might be to switch the engine off while out inspecting damage or exchanging info!

That's exactly it. Time will tell if the replacement batteries I bought are any good. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

It seems my Nextbase 402G is doing the same thing, could you let me know how you get on with the replacement? Oh and if you have a link to the specific battery you bought?

Nate

As promised, here is the info you need. I ordered a 3.7volt 250mAh 502030 lithium polymer battery. I bought mine from user tesky12 on ebay but they seem to have closed for the Chinese new year! See:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/tesky12

There are LOADS of other suppliers though. For example:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/5pcs-3-7v-250mAh-502030-Li-polymere-Pile-rechargeable-pour-GPS-Lecteur-PSP/272406060156?hash=item3f6caa9c7c:g:0BoAAOSwzaJX-Rzl

I'll attach detailed instructions below on how to install the new battery. It's very easy. Only took around 10 mins.

Hope this helps you (and anybody else with a similar problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Much obliged - I've a 502030 on the way for a grand total of €2.21

I love buying stuff from China for next to nothing, and getting free delivery :)

Many thanks for the Instructions - very comprehensive.

Nate

Much obliged - I've a 502030 on the way for a grand total of €2.21

I love buying stuff from China for next to nothing, and getting free delivery :)

Many thanks for the Instructions - very comprehensive.

Nate

I paid something similar. I ordered spares though.

Let us know how you get on when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I bought the Yi Dashcam some time ago, but recently got a polarised filter that some had recommended, in the hope it would cut down the quite noticeable reflection of the dash on the windscreen.

It hasn't worked tbh..

I'm wondering though, if this reflection might be due to how far the camera lens is from the windscreen.
    Hard to explain, but he lad that fitted it did so quite high up, and the lens sits a couple of inches from the windscreen.
    I'd have to move the dashcam mount lower to get closer to the screen.

Can anyone advise if this might sort it / if you've encountered similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 joseywales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I bought the Yi Dashcam some time ago, but recently got a polarised filter that some had recommended, in the hope it would cut down the quite noticeable reflection of the dash on the windscreen.

It hasn't worked tbh..

I'm wondering though, if this reflection might be due to how far the camera lens is from the windscreen.
    Hard to explain, but he lad that fitted it did so quite high up, and the lens sits a couple of inches from the windscreen.
    I'd have to move the dashcam mount lower to get closer to the screen.

Can anyone advise if this might sort it / if you've encountered similar?

I don't know what type of filter you got - you might need to rotate it 90*...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

grogi wrote: »
    I don't know what type of filter you got - you might need to rotate it 90*...

Thanks for that - wasn't aware, and the filter came with no instructions..

Just tried it there on lunch break, and instantly less reflection!

Will compare the commute vs yesterday's and see how they differ..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hold a polarising filter close to your eye like a monocle and look at a laptop or phone screen, then rotate the filter 90 degrees.

1 way you’ll see the screen clearly, 90 degrees rotated either side and the screen will go blank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looking for a 5v power supply to hardwire a cam.... Any recommendations?

Looking for a 5v power supply to hardwire a cam.... Any recommendations?

Is it an adaptor like this you need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duble-USB-Output-Power-Adapter-12V-To-5V-3A-15W-DC-DC-Converter-Module-Connector/262433315650?hash=item3d1a3e9b42:g:-V8AAOSwubRXNFeP

That's the one I got (maybe from a different seller)- works perfect, and a spare usb port and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

2008 Audi TTS for sale

Sad to see her go but need a family car. Will be putting up an ad in carzone, done deal, etc later. Finding it hard to put a price on it so going by the two on carzone atm.

PM if anyone has interest.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/audi/tt/2008-audi-tts-272-bhp-quattro/14819670

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Selling our VW Golf Highline 141 1.4 ACT model, any questions then PM away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-1-4-tsi-140bhp/18027215

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

My Astra on Adverts. Thanks
    http://www.adverts.ie/14832022

Mod update - price drop to 7500

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That looks decent alright, but seems to be out of stock on amazon. I wonder has it been discontinued or just high demand?

Would putting something like a USB portable power pack between the 12v socket and the camera mean it can keep running after the engine is turned off I wonder?

cormie wrote:
    Would putting something like a USB portable power pack between the 12v socket and the camera mean it can keep running after the engine is turned off I wonder?

Yeah, I would hard wire the cam so it's always going. Definitely the downside of the cam that it doesn't do this by default. Still very interesting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

My 2010 Ford Mondeo, Titanium X spec, just serviced. Very reliable & great option for anyone looking for a family car with a large boot.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/mondeo/2010-ford-mondeo-titanium-x-163bhp-huge-spec-list/14623641

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alsiet2017

Thinking about buying a dashcam. But I want it to be non instrusive and as hidden as possible in the car. In keeping with the nice interior. Car is Audi A4 2015. Any recommendations ? And how much would a standard enough one cost with fitting ?

• Advertisement

alsiet2017 wrote:
    Thinking about buying a dashcam. But I want it to be non instrusive and as hidden as possible in the car. In keeping with the nice interior. Car is Audi A4 2015. Any recommendations ? And how much would a standard enough one cost with fitting ?

Fitting costs 70-100
    Blackvue cameras are great if you want a front and rear concealed setup that's hard wired into the car, price is dependent on the options you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

tedpan wrote: »
    Yeah, I would hard wire the cam so it's always going. Definitely the downside of the cam that it doesn't do this by default. Still very interesting though!

Well you'd get much more juice from a portable power pack than any in built battery so maybe just as well to do it using a portable power supply? Just as long as it would all work as expected and not run into complications? The power pack would need to be chargeable and charge at the same time is the only thing.

I have this one already: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BSMK6GQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would it do the trick? I bought it almost 2 years ago so maybe there's some better on the market now though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

alsiet2017 wrote: »

The DDPai mini2 is very discreet, and so far mine seems to be working quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

alsiet2017 wrote: »
    The 'Wedge' (Viofo A119) is about as non-intrusive as you can get, IMO. I have the older A118 in the wife's car and you just don't see it if you mount it behind the rear-view mirror. It's also practically invisible from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Has anyone used the Halfords cam fitting. Id really like to get a proper hiddem hardwired into car installation done and just looking for options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Just a heads up on Micro SD cards for dash cams.

Sandisk do not honour warranties on their cards if used in Dash Cams apparently. I had a Sandisk Extreme which died within a couple of months of being used in a dashcam. They're not supposed to be used for constant write/overwrite for hours at a time on a daily basis.
    They have released a High Endurance version specifically for dash cams. Argos have them here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Hardwiring aa nextbase 112. Beside fusebox there is a metal bracket .I think it is the bracket the fusebox in attached to. Can i get a nut bolt and connect the black wire spade connector there. It says connect to vehicle body work, is that considered pat of the body work?

you can see it at 16 seconds here when he zooms in on fusebox pointing to left with hole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmqZ7o-72I
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Has anyone used the Halfords cam fitting. Id really like to get a proper hiddem hardwired into car installation done and just looking for options.
    i am doing with nextbase 112. will be pretty easy i would say.Edit. Finding that when i try to install the piggy back part into the fuse box, the fuse is at right angles and hitting off the top of the fuse beside it. has anyone had this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Selling the wife's 2008 Golf, no requirement for a second car.

http://www.adverts.ie/14837308

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

'02 Astra estate automatic.
    fresh NCT 'til 02/19, taxed 'til 05/18
    144,500 miles
    only 1 owner prior to me
    TB & WP done @ 131k miles
    well kept, regularly serviced etc.
    asking 800 on the ad, but open to offers

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-opel-astra-1-4-auto-nct-02-19/18075028

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement