Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

I'm selling my low mileage 03 Micra with NCT until 4/18 and tax until 7/18. 83600 miles. Recently serviced, new front tyres recently, receipts for both. Bluetooth hands-free integrated into the radio/CD player. €950.

OTg0ZjAxNzRkMTRjNTMwNGViMzE0ZTAyZmZmYzE0OWJfw65Y7f7KTH26BdRryqGhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDc3MDUxMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra-nct-tax-bluetooth/17489675

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Selling my 06 Astra GTC as I've upgraded, never had an ounce of bother with it and it's NCT'd until May and a bit of tax left on it too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-opel-astra-gtc/17497708

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Constant Curiosity

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/polo/1994-volkswagen-polo/14252678

mk2 polo, 5 speed, great little car, want to sell it to have a good xmas, if not gone i'm thinking to tuck it away with the 91 mk2 i have for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, would anyone have any ideas for this please?

I have a micro USB cable trailed and installed properly to power a mini 0806 or whatever it is dash cam, but the cam isn't working well and I want to replace it with a spare iTronics ITB 100HD, but this is powered by a circular connection which you can see here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/68697/

What would be the best way to get this working?

Completely re-wire it with the cable?
    Snip the USB head and replace with the circular head (would the power be the same?)
    Get some kind of adapter where the micro usb could have the same size head and power it (would the power be adequate?)

Any help would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Doltanian wrote: »

All round I'm very happy with the video quality and I had a 3 hour road trip today with a dirty windscreen and it was raining heavy and and in low dusk light and night time conditions it performed brilliantly, and for £29.99 (€49 with a £13 SD card) it was unbeatable value in terms of quality for price,

Where can it be bought for that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

cormie wrote: »
    [...]
    What would be the best way to get this working?

Completely re-wire it with the cable?
    Snip the USB head and replace with the circular head (would the power be the same?)
    Get some kind of adapter where the micro usb could have the same size head and power it (would the power be adequate?)

Any help would be great :)

If I was you, I'd remove Mini cable and put ITB cable in there. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Hi all,i'm looking to buy a dash cam but wouldn't know a bad one from a good one. i have a budget of around E100 and would like to buy the camera and a hard wire kit. i have had a look online but theres so many types and prices it gets a bit confusing after a few pages of browsing.
    thanks,john.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

glaswegian wrote: »
    Hi all,i'm looking to buy a dash cam but wouldn't know a bad one from a good one. i have a budget of around E100 and would like to buy the camera and a hard wire kit. i have had a look online but theres so many types and prices it gets a bit confusing after a few pages of browsing.
    thanks,john.

I'm not sure I'd look beyond the Nextbase 312GW for that kind of price range.

One thing I have found is that their (UK-based) support is very helpful, and they regularly release new firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Get the Xiaomi mentioned in a few threads in bargain alerts and enjoy a few points from the change. I would recommend avoiding Nextbase.

Cheers,is delivery free to Ireland with amazon and can I pay via PayPal?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

You can't use PayPal for Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

glaswegian wrote: »
    Cheers,is delivery free to Ireland with amazon and can I pay via PayPal?
    Thanks.

It is free for orders above 20 or 25 GBP. But in majority of cases there would be a 3% surcharge compared to UK price because higher VAT in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

joujoujou wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd remove Mini cable and put ITB cable in there. Better safe than sorry.

Might just have to do that alright, only thing is the mini one is hardwires in to the back of the radio I think so I'll have to see how the guy did it and try copy it with the ITB one, or else get him back out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

grogi wrote: »
    It is free for orders above 20 or 25 GBP. But in majority of cases there would be a 3% surcharge compared to UK price because higher VAT in Ireland.

Another alternative would be to get it shipped to a Parcel Motel/Address Pal if you prefer.

grogi wrote: »

Thanks for your info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Looking to get a dash cam myself. Just want a mounted one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511378931&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=yi+dash+cam&psc=1

My current dashcam is the below:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RWVLBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to miss a few minutes here and there of recording and doesn't seem reliable. The manual is in broken english as well and tbh I don't trust it. Is the Yi more reliable/better and have a well written manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Looking to get a dash cam myself. Just want a mounted one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511378931&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=yi+dash+cam&psc=1

My current dashcam is the below:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RWVLBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to miss a few minutes here and there of recording and doesn't seem reliable. The manual is in broken english as well and tbh I don't trust it. Is the Yi more reliable/better and have a well written manual?

I don't have a Yi but they are made by Xiaomi so should be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quick question. Just got myself a NextBase 512GW yesterday. Impressive piece of kit. But how do you increase the recording length to over the 5 minute maximum that's shown in the settings? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Does the Yi have night vision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yes
    For that price it'll be hard to beat I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Patww79 wrote: »
    Only had it since yesterday, so I haven't used it at night yet. I'm out in the country (no street lighting), so it might be of limited use at night anyway. The software that comes with it seems overly complicated; I've just viewed the video directly from the SD card using the standard Windows video player. No great problems with that.

Unregistered Users

blueser wrote: »
    [...] I'm out in the country (no street lighting), so it might be of limited use at night anyway. [...]

For that very reason I'd also be interested in seeing night footage from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

No dashcam has true 'night vision'

You have two options:

- Increased sensitivity in low light, most dashcams will give decent video from your headlights. But will never match a human eye. Remember, you can always alter the brightness of the footage afterwards, but you'll sacrifice detail. Likewise, the speed at which the camera can adjust from brightness (i.e. A headlight flash) to darkness is very important. Most dashcams fall down here.

- Infrared or bright LEDs. These are largely a gimmick as they'll reflect off your windscreen, blinding the camera, and most cameras cut infrared with a filter before it hits the sensor anyway. You also need a lot of LEDs to make any sort of dent, and your headlights will out power them. Basically, if your DVR has them, turn them off.

If you want true night vision, you need a FLIR system, but then you won't be able to read a registration plate and you'll need some serious spare change.

I often say to people, you're not trying to catch someone in stunning 60FPS 1080HD nor will be asked by CSI to enhance your footage. You'll probably need 10s of video or perhaps a few mins of audio, that's it. If you are missing a crucial detail, your DVR isn't going to get you out of it and by Murphy's law, and from years in the in-car camera business, I can assure you that your DVR will either be off, not be recording or slightly out of frame when you need it most.

TL;DR, just buy the DVR with the best reviews and hard wire it. Check the car every week or so, and drive. Don't fuss too much, they are nearly all the same on the inside anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

My BMW 335d, good economy with great performance (over 350bhp):
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/2006-bmw-3-series/14229330

Taking offers, needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi folks.

My nextbase 402G is giving me some bother. It's about 2 years old. It's hardwired to the car and I rarely mess with it or check the chip.

Today I took it in and discovered that it is skipping as it records. I'm missing bits of journeys.

I wiped the sd card and updated the software on the cam and tried again. Now the camera is creating the files on the card but they won't open. I keep getting an unhelpful error message.

My wife's car also has the same camera etc, so I said I'd have a look at her's. Sure enough the exact same problem.

I was having a look online and one place suggested that I need to get a high endurance chip because a standard one will fail after a few months because of the camera is continuously writing to the chip.

Any ideas or comments on the above?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    SD cards do have a write limit before they start to fail. Try a spare card and see if its better.

I don't have a spare Micro sd to try!! I just hope it's the card and not the camera. Think I might buy this card to see if it helps:

https://www.memoryc.ie/19820-32gb-transcend-high-endurance-microsdhc-card-cl10-w-sd-adapter.html

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dont have one in a phone or some cameara? That's a decent card, pricey for what it is as you could buy two "normal" SD's for that price.

I hear what you are saying about the price but I don't mind paying the money if it is a good job. I think I'll chance it to see if it works. I can get a second one for the wife's car if it sorts the problem.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement