Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What brought a smile to your face today?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Walking along today, and just ahead of me on the path was a mam with her three little boys. The oldest was about five, and had a little school bag on his back.

She was holding one little boy by the hand, and, walking behind her, earnestly clutching his little brother's hand was the school boy. I'd say the younger two were twins, about three. There were all sorts of obstacles on the path, due to building work and whatnot. But the 'big brother' ploughed along earnestly, and never once let go of the little fellow's hand.

It was just so cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

Not today but just yesterday. When an ex feels genuine remorse for how he treated you during the relationship and knows you always deserved to be with someone who would make you happy. Then he asks what gift I want for my birthday and offers to pay for a trip abroad/holiday and says he will support me with a particular issue I'm going through at the moment. I walked away smiling knowing that forgiveness between two people who shared a past helps you move forward while those who carry hatred just keeps them standing still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I got a foot rest at work. Now I can reach the keyboard, have lumbar support and have my feet not be dangling a foot off the ground.

Yay!

Seeing a rainbow, as I drove home, and also knowing that once I went back indoors, I didn't have to go out again.

This one was yesterday.
    In a coffee shop, and there was a baby in a high chair at another table. The mam was trying to spoon feed him, but he was so fascinated by the sound every time a coffee was being made that he had his head turned as far as he could to follow the noise. Aww.

He was so cute, really smiley happy looking little fella! I just couldn't help smiling at his total fascination with the sound.

• Advertisement

Heading out of Aldi last night, glanced to my left, a little fellow who had just come in with his mam had found a space between two stands of goods near the front of the shop, and sat himself down, just inside the glass, pleased as punch.

Earlier a little girl at the self service till in Tesco was having fun beside me, squeezing herself in between the tills, going around, then repeating the same process. All with a big smile on her face.

I love the way kids find fun in something that we as adults don't even notice.

And earlier in the week, I ended up in the midst of a group of smallies being ushered along a corridor. The person in charge was shushing them, and one tiny girl looked up at me with a grin of devilment, and put her fingers to her lips.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

LenaClaire wrote: »
    I got a foot rest at work. Now I can reach the keyboard, have lumbar support and have my feet not be dangling a foot off the ground.

Yay!

I'm not sure tall people or people whose feet lie flat on the ground when sitting in a chair realise just how lucky they are. My legs get sore if I'm sitting on a seat with my legs dangling for a while. Do yours? I feel the pain in my quads and the back of my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm not sure tall people or people whose feet lie flat on the ground when sitting in a chair realise just how lucky they are. My legs get sore if I'm sitting on a seat with my legs dangling for a while. Do yours? I feel the pain in my quads and the back of my legs.

Yes, and in my lower back! Alternately, I brace my feet up on tip toe to give my legs a break and then my feet start cramping. Then I end up sitting in odd ways, with one leg curled up under me, etc. All are horrible for my posture. And don't even get me started on bar stools, I feel like a toddler trying to climb into a high chair.

My happiness today - had a bi-annual review and got loads of good notes from my boss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Was in the shop this morning and I don't really like "Put a ring on it" by Beyonce but that was playing anyway. A boy of about 10 or 11 who was also in the shop definitely did like it though because I saw him doing what I can only describe as a couple of subtle but very noticeable shoulder shimmies to the music when walking down one of the shopping isles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sonas55

listening to Milk and Honey by J.C. Frank while having breakfast and looking out of the window

• Advertisement

Walking into a shop today, a woman and her two small children were just leaving. She had opened the door, and I stood back.
    She was saying to the little fellow who was last out to stand back. He didn't fully get it, but put his little hand on the door as though to hold it for me. Aww. I thanked them all. They were ever so pleased. And so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

The cold breeze is refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

This was yesterday, but I saw a little boy playing in puddle outside Aldi. Such innocence. :D

It wasn't today but a few weeks ago, I was talking to my mam. I haven't watched any soaps for years and she was telling me something about Coronation Street.

She mentioned Sarah Platts daughter, Bethany and she said something like "Bethanys 17 now" and I said shocked "really, she's that old? I remember when she was only about 4 or 5, she's practically grown up now" and then we were laughing because you would swear they were real people and we knew them personally :)

Two things today ... once again, I love the way a child can invent a game from the most mundane of things. I was queueing in the post office and while his mother was at the hatch, the little fellow, who could just about get his hands onto the counter, by reaching far above his head, was placing his palms at the edge of the counter, and doing little jumps :D.

Second one was two girls, obviously sisters, older about thirteen or so, younger about four or five. Walking along the street, older holding younger one's hand, both in school uniform. Little sis looks up to big sis and says conversationally 'so did you have a good day today?' Aww!

LynnGrace wrote: »
    And earlier in the week, I ended up in the midst of a group of smallies being ushered along a corridor. The person in charge was shushing them, and one tiny girl looked up at me with a grin of devilment, and put her fingers to her lips.

:D

Met this adorable little group again today. Just their happy little faces as they were being brought outside to play made me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

My little dog running free in the dog park this afternoon, and jumping into the river and generally having a wild old time.
    My best friend cleaning my kitchen as I made the dinner- she cleans so much better than me :)

Was talking to my friends daughter the other day. She is starting junior infants soon. She told me when she's older that she wants to study science. I said to her "very good, what makes you so interested in science?" and she said "because I wanna make slime" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My sister received a lovely evening meal from the Mosque on the same street as her in Preston. They did it as an act of kindness to remind people that being neighbourly is a massive part of their religion. They're just delivering free meals to the houses! My sister said the food was amazing and it made her day. To think they are cooking up meals not made for them during Ramadan.

Walking in the local park, beautiful day, a genuine feeling of 'good to be alive' day.
    Kids playing happily in the playground, apart from one little girl who invented her own game on some bars outside :D. Not sure what they are for, maybe for chaining bikes to them or something.
    But to her, they were for playing on while her granny tried to convince her it was time to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

The bagel and coffee I had this morning, and the cold blast of air as I got off the bus this morning.

I'm loving the autumn feel in the air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

In the local shopping centre earlier, a dad was buying a balloon for a little girl about two years old. She was so excited, she was bouncing on her little feet. :D
    And her name was Ruby. Adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

My dog, who spent the week in the vets recovering from am infection and my daughter howling at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Lovely day out in the capital. Laois won, had a lovely pint with a lovely Boardsie friend of mine in Heuston and I've just had a 99 :)

Roots banished (first smile) and while I was in the hairdressers, her little fellow, he is about five, came in with his dad, walked over while she was blow-drying my hair, and gave her the most loving hug. Aww!

This was a few days ago.
    Heading for the checkout in the supermarket, a little fellow and his dad were just ahead of me. The little fellow was in full swing talking about things to get for the holidays. And every time he said the word holidays, he did a delighted little skip. So cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Overall today was a pretty ****e day but my dad made me smile this evening. We were in the pub after dinner and this particular pub has a booth dedicated to one of the provinces famous rugby players. My dad, who is a big rugby fan and doesn’t drink, told me to give him my glass of wine and take a photo of him in the booth. He was delighted with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Shopping today and I heard this little boy say to his Mam, "remember that pinkie promise you made me the other day"...

Didn't hear what came next but it just made me smile as I remembered when mine were little and how they'd NEVER forget a pinkie promise :) They're too old for that now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a Fox family living in my shed and I've noticed they sometimes play with small items they've found in there. So I left out a ball to see what would happen. Well one of them had great craic for hours playing with it and then snoozed off all the energy. :)

488326.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement