Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What brought a smile to your face today?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I know these threads appear a lot all over Boards but thought I'd stick another one up in here as I'm not in the mood today for clicking on one of the more negative threads in the forums I frequent and am in a good mood so want to keep it that way. :)

Sinead O'Connor's new video made me smile and shed a wee tear. I took from it that it's the small things and the little acts of kindness that keep us (or at least me) going day to day. Beautiful video and a great song:

You can post anything at all (song, image, photo, quote etc.) here that made you smile during your day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Nobody smiled today? :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Nobody smiled today? :(

I smiled in work today and I was accused of being up to no good :P

Today I smiled because I got to spend time with a friend before she flies back to where she lives now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Impromptu coffee with my old work gang :)

Getting lots of encouragement and enthusiastic responses about our album launch in November, so nice to have supportive friends.

Having a heart to heart with my husband qnd confirming what a great dad he's gonna be <3

My (lovely) student this morning telling me since her "beard died", she hasn't wanted another pet (she meant bird).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I handed in an assignment yesterday, got an email today from my tutor to say it was excellent, well thought out and that she wouldnt make any changes to it, delighted with meself!

Not just a smile but a big grin! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

had a fat smile on my face when my super speedy lurchergirl didn't quite make the corner and ended up headfirst in the muck.Of course she didn't hurt herself but she got up, looked about herself what happened, looked annoyed at the ground and took off again..hilarious that one. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

The warm balmy breeze when I walked up to the end of the lane to get the post.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The fact that it's the day before Halloween, it's nearly 20c and it's forecast to be warmer tomorrow.

Also the arrival of badly needed new runners in this morning's post at work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Having cuddles with this little guy! He always makes me smile!!

And grad yesterday :)

Being "fixed" by an osteopath and being told I should have pain free running again for this weekend \o/ it's only been three months of increasing pain >.>

Also him having to double check my age because he thought I was much younger.

• Advertisement

A few weeks ago I was feeling really homesick and missing the family really badly. I had that waking up with a dead weight in the pit of my stomach feeling, and kept getting impulses to pack it all in and head home to my Grannys house for some spoiling and familiarity.

I told my dad how I was feeling and he sent my Gran out to me on holiday (she's 80+). She came, she saw, and she conquered. Amongst other things she called my sort-of-kinda-boss a wanker (he is), much to the amusement of my actual-boss and me, told the cafeteria ladies she worried about me being too skinny -I've had huge portions handed to me since - and best of all brought her photo albums with her and we pored over them every day, while she told me stories of the strange, the wonderful, and the tragic in the family. Everyone she met loved her, and I had a great time showing her around.

She left last week and I miss her so much, especially since I know I won't be able to get back for Christmas. Every time I say goodbye, I'm afraid it'll be the last goodbye.

I got the iron off the top shelf yesterday to find a post-it stuck to it - "Keep going Candie, I'm only as far away as the phone and love is always right beside you".

It makes me smile, it makes me cry, it makes me realise what's important, and how very lucky I really am. :).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Everyone who liked and commented on my Facebook picture of my graduation. It sounds like a really sad thing to say but it was the things that were said and the people themselves that just meant a lot to me. Someone social media has and upside!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Candie wrote: »
    I got the iron off the top shelf yesterday to find a post-it stuck to it - "Keep going Candie, I'm only as far away as the phone and love is always right beside you".

It makes me smile, it makes me cry, it makes me realise what's important, and how very lucky I really am. :).

God almighty that's lovely. Treasure that note :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

A - "Keep going Candie, I'm only as far away as the phone and love is always right beside you".

Aww. There's something in my eye...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My latest smiles have been because I've spent my mid-term doing things I enjoy (including lazing about.) I've gotten back to my photography and this morning (because I hadn't been to sleep yet) I tipsily set up a new website for blogging about my studies, career and anything that interests me. I spent all today getting it ready and I think I have two good posts up on it now. I'm less concerned with getting hits for it than I was with my old site, because this is a personally important website and it means things to me. :D

Edit: And writing up this post made me smile, even if it does hurt my hungover head.

A few weeks ago I was feeling really homesick and missing the family really badly. I had that waking up with a dead weight in the pit of my stomach feeling, and kept getting impulses to pack it all in and head home to my Grannys house for some spoiling and familiarity.

I told my dad how I was feeling and he sent my Gran out to me on holiday (she's 80+). She came, she saw, and she conquered. Amongst other things she called my sort-of-kinda-boss a wanker (he is), much to the amusement of my actual-boss and me, told the cafeteria ladies she worried about me being too skinny -I've had huge portions handed to me since - and best of all brought her photo albums with her and we pored over them every day, while she told me stories of the strange, the wonderful, and the tragic in the family. Everyone she met loved her, and I had a great time showing her around.

She left last week and I miss her so much, especially since I know I won't be able to get back for Christmas. Every time I say goodbye, I'm afraid it'll be the last goodbye.

Love your granny. Can she be my granny too?

Love your granny. Can she be my granny too?

Feic off, she's mine! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

It's not *quite* in the spirit of this thread, but I took a moment to smile at a half-naked Cillian Murphy in tonight's Peaky Blinders. And I bit my lip a little.

My bad.

Frito wrote: »
    It's not *quite* in the spirit of this thread, but I took a moment to smile at a half-naked Cillian Murphy in tonight's Peaky Blinders. And I bit my lip a little.

My bad.

No no! I didn't necessarily want it to be all sunshine and lollipops, just something that made you smile (my student talking about her dead beard, as I mentioned earlier). A handsome man is a good reason to smile.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I just realised I won €12 in the Euromillions the other night. I knew them Lucky Star numbers were good for me when I bought that ticket. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I fell arse-over-tit on the airport runway the last day.

Had just dismounted the steps off the plane and as I was walking into the terminal, the grip on one of my shoes gave way and the result was one of the most spectacular, almost unbelievable Hollywood movie-style falls ever to happen in real life. The kind of fall that should have its own Twitter page. Legs splayed in the air, hands outstretched, arse jutting out, head hugging the tarmac, giant bag with passport, ticket, wallet, keys, notebooks flying in the air and landed in a messy heap about 20 metres away.

There was about a 5-second pause as the enormous ridiculousness of what just happened registered and then a high pitched shriek as the traffic controller dude in the high vis jacket standing at the door of the terminal almost shat himself with laughter and then a 20-strong group of young lads in business suits erupted in applause and cheers behind me.

No amount of red-face could even do justice to the profound embarrassment of the moment but all the lads grabbed my bag and picked up my trail of belongings and I spent the next half hour greeting "fans" at Baggage who "just had to come over and tell me how hilarious that fall was". "Are you the woman who fell?" And more laughter and a pat on the back.

That happened on Monday and I haven't told a single soul. I've just about recovered from the embarrassment. Today I am laughing about it. A lot.

Feic off, she's mine! :P

Giz a go a ur gran!

(I'm a bit tipsy - scuse me)

beks101 wrote: »
    I fell arse-over-tit on the airport runway the last day.

Had just dismounted the steps off the plane and as I was walking into the terminal, the grip on one of my shoes gave way and the result was one of the most spectacular, almost unbelievable Hollywood movie-style falls ever to happen in real life. The kind of fall that should have its own Twitter page. Legs splayed in the air, hands outstretched, arse jutting out, head hugging the tarmac, giant bag with passport, ticket, wallet, keys, notebooks flying in the air and landed in a messy heap about 20 metres away.

There was about a 5-second pause as the enormous ridiculousness of what just happened registered and then a high pitched shriek as the traffic controller dude in the high vis jacket standing at the door of the terminal almost shat himself with laughter and then a 20-strong group of young lads in business suits erupted in applause and cheers behind me.

No amount of red-face could even do justice to the profound embarrassment of the moment but all the lads grabbed my bag and picked up my trail of belongings and I spent the next half hour greeting "fans" at Baggage who "just had to come over and tell me how hilarious that fall was". "Are you the woman who fell?" And more laughter and a pat on the back.

That happened on Monday and I haven't told a single soul. I've just about recovered from the embarrassment. Today I am laughing about it. A lot.

Hahahahaha!!! Yet ANOTHER smile/laugh today! Today has been full of 'em!

A guy I work with mentioned last week that he volunteers and teaches English to Latin American immigrants on Sundays. I asked him if there was any chance I could do it too, so I went along this evening with him and sat in on his class (until I get my own).

The group of students were of all ages and were so lovely and open and kind and we'd such a great time in class while they all told their stories and talked about their lives. Some of their stories were upsetting (employers not treating them well here and not being able to go home, for example) but some were accounts of incredible bravery and resilience. There was a gorgeous young fella of about 14 who spoke great English and was such a lovely guy. He comes along to classes voluntarily and is really studious taking down everything in his notebook and really trying. I was overwhelmed. I've never had students like them.

I spent a year in South America 8 years ago and I was reminded this evening why I loved it so much and I wanted to stay there.

My workmate will be away next week so I'll be teaching his class for him. Really looking forward to it as we got along very well this evening and I'm already planning their class next week thinking of how I can make it really special.

Smile overload today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

This is without doubt the best post I've read on Boards, ever! I'm nearly in tears

A guy I work with mentioned last week that he volunteers and teaches English to Latin American immigrants on Sundays. I asked him if there was any chance I could do it too, so I went along this evening with him and sat in on his class (until I get my own).

The group of students were of all ages and were so lovely and open and kind and we'd such a great time in class while they all told their stories and talked about their lives. Some of their stories were upsetting (employers not treating them well here and not being able to go home, for example) but some were accounts of incredible bravery and resilience. There was a gorgeous young fella of about 14 who spoke great English and was such a lovely guy. He comes along to classes voluntarily and is really studious taking down everything in his notebook and really trying. I was overwhelmed. I've never had students like them.

I spent a year in South America 8 years ago and I was reminded this evening why I loved it so much and I wanted to stay there.

My workmate will be away next week so I'll be teaching his class for him. Really looking forward to it as we got along very well this evening and I'm already planning their class next week thinking of how I can make it really special.

Smile overload today.

You're a champ! Good for you, and they sound lovely. :)

dar100 wrote: »
    This is without doubt the best post I've read on Boards, ever! I'm nearly in tears

Read The Bearded Ladys!

Read The Bearded Ladys!

Your granny called somebody a wanker - you win. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My boyfriend met my friends and family today - brave man. And he got a loan of a car seat and is talking about getting a loan of a travel cot so we can stay in his. He completely accepts me as a mother and accepts that my baby comes first in my eyes and is part of the package. He just makes me smile a lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Chatting to someone I haven't met yet. Made me surprisingly light on my feet! Also my no nonsense friend giving me the low down on boys. One of the only people that can have me gulping for breath when she is having a rant :D

Advertisement