Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein cancels bomber commemoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody is expecting them not to commemorate him, or the memory of him.

But doing so in a public manner is incredibly short-sighted. It is naive at best, and inflammatory at worst. In fact, it does more to sow division than anything else. Trying to publicly honour this would-be murderer is in such poor taste that you're asking for backlash. Not to mention that it makes a mockery of commemorating real Irish heroes.

That is exactly the point.

Arranging a public online commemoration to honour a terrorist is not the same as a family quietly remembering their son.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

tipptom wrote: »
    [/B]
    SF and Stanley were idiotic to apologise for his tweets
    They need to start owning it and not hiding that SF was the party of the IRA

They either disown the IRA and the people who fought against the British army terror machine in NI or stand up to FF/FG/Irish media and say they will not apologise for sucessfull campaigns in NI against the British

FG/FF/irish media are happy to try and outunionist the most bigoted Unionist/Loyalist to hang on to power and would even try and destabilize the North if needed in a last ditch rearguard to cling to power

The more RTE and the print media brought up SFs IRA past in the last election the more they surged in votes,the FG/FF "irishman" that was just out for what he could get from the party he supported is becoming extinct and good riddance

In a way I agree with you. Sinn Fein leadership should stop speaking out of both sides of their mouths and tell us that they are proud of what these men did, that they are happy that innocent people were killed for the cause, that they have no remorse or empathy for the families left behind.

Then people will see Sinn Fein for what they really are. If they still get votes, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

[/B]

They either disown the IRA and the people who fought against the British army terror machine in NI or stand up to FF/FG/Irish media and say they will not apologise for sucessfull campaigns in NI against the British

FG/FF/irish media are happy to try and outunionist the most bigoted Unionist/Loyalist to hang on to power and would even try and destabilize the North if needed in a last ditch rearguard to cling to power

The more RTE and the print media brought up SFs IRA past in the last election the more they surged in votes,the FG/FF "irishman" that was just out for what he could get from the party he supported is becoming extinct and good riddance

They don't do they? We get many other folk stating how awkward or inconvenient or embarrassing mention of the IRA must be to SF. It's made up IMO. They've been critical of various things but never shunned the IRA as far as I can see.
    It's expected for desperate FF/FG to raise the 'RA when trying to deflect and it's fair enough. What grinds my gears is FF/FG using the faux moral outrage, victims and their families, to dodge discussing or taking accountability for their policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

[/B]

You might be aware but a huge percentage of SF voters, vote for SF because they want to take from workers and give to social welfare? this is the core SF voters. Always has been.

Plus most of the new voters are doing because they think they will get a free or close to free house, like some people on here.

People wil continue to vote for FF/FG & others because they have a good job and earn a decent wage. The same person who SF want to take their hard earned money off.

Are you saying people who are working and don't want to be taxed even are becoming extinct?

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is exactly the point.

Arranging a public online commemoration to honour a terrorist is not the same as a family quietly remembering their son.

Wasnt a terrorist though?

We have a taoiseach attending rememberence day commerations....but those who fight and died for ireland and stood up for themselves are expected to cower in private

Like lads are going to be triggered as fcuk,with the large scale hunger strike commerations this summer,coming to a local town,near yous

• Advertisement

We have a taoiseach attending rememberence day commerations....but those who fight and died for ireland and stood up for themselves are expected to cower in private

Like lads are going to be triggered as fcuk,with the large scale hunger strike commerations this summer,coming to a local town,near yous

A lad setting a bomb off in London on a bus didn't "die for Ireland".

They don't do they? We get many other folk stating how awkward or inconvenient or embarrassing mention of the IRA must be to SF. It's made up IMO. They've been critical of various things but never shunned the IRA as far as I can see.
    It's expected for desperate FF/FG to raise the 'RA when trying to deflect and it's fair enough. What grinds my gears is FF/FG using the faux moral outrage, victims and their families, to dodge discussing or taking accountability for their policies.

you have to laugh really,mere months before this lad got killed.....the brits were tearing peaceful protesters off the street in drumcree by the hair vs facing down loyalists

But commerating them is all good (indeed called "mature" ).....young lads like this lad,putting life and liberty on the line,because they were unwilling to stand by and look at it unchallenged,are called all sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wasnt a terrorist though

Failed terrorist ,but definitely a terrorist ,

the family could have just gone quietly to his grave ,but no lets have Ra commemoration for their child who apparently wasn't in the Ra ,yeah not buying that one for one minute,
    Just be greatful your son won't be going down in history for killing innocent people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Ah,i think they have tried to ride two horses on this and its completley the wrong tack they have taken.
    Of course there are some tweets they should apologise for and they should turf out the idiots

Agree with the faux moral outrage at election time from FG/FF,wonder how many of them will decamp to Armagh next election to use that family again now that they saw how people saw through it at the last election

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Gatling wrote: »

the family could have just gone quietly to his grave ,but no lets have Ra commemoration for their child who apparently wasn't in the Ra ,yeah not buying that one for one minute,
    Just be greatful your son won't be going down in history for killing innocent people

That's handy cos I don't think they're selling that lie.

Why are you posting such scutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The thing to remember is that SF were smaller than the SDLP for the entire troubles. The IRA campaign was only ever supported by a minority of the nationalist community in North Ireland. The IRA held SF back politically as evidenced by SF growth post the GFA.

So when people refer to the IRA as criminals/terrorists etc that's exactly what they were. The IRA never had the majority of the support from the nationalist community(as evidenced by the lack of support for SF compared to the SDLP) during the period never mind the rest of the island.

During the war of independence the IRA of that era did have a democratic mandate as they were supported by an elected parliament.

McMurphy wrote: »
    That's handy cos I don't think they're selling that lie.

What because they said so . , Again I'm not buying it and I'd say many others don't buy it either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You might be aware but a huge percentage of SF voters, vote for SF because they want to take from workers and give to social welfare? this is the core SF voters. Always has been.

Plus most of the new voters are doing because they think they will get a free or close to free house, like some people on here.

People wil continue to vote for FF/FG & others because they have a good job and earn a decent wage. The same person who SF want to take their hard earned money off.

Are you saying people who are working and don't want to be taxed even are becoming extinct?

SF was the largest party in every age demographic bar pensioners at the last election. You're talking pony.

He did, the other poor Irishman on the bus died due to complications from the bomb

great success for the PIRA & SF. Managed to go all the way to London and kill an innocent Irishman who seemingly they where fighting for.

What because they said so . , Again I'm not buying it and I'd say many others don't buy it either

Who said it, and What exactly did they say?

Don't be shy, spit it out so I can get a proper laugh.

Yurt! wrote: »
    SF was the largest party in every age demographic bar pensioners at the last election. You're talking pony.

You do realise SF got 24% of the vote.

This lad isnt going down in history for killing innocent people either?

Only because he blew himself up

Do you realise that has absolutely no bearing on what the other poster posted, or disproves anything within their post:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

To spell it out, that means 76% of people didn't vote for SF. :P

I'll repeat myself. SF was the largest party in every age demographic bar pensioners, and the largest in every region of the country bar Munster.

We all saw the election result brightspark. And if your contention that SF voters are dole heads, then you must think that 24% of the population were on the scratch when the election was held (hint: we had as close to full employment as one can get in a developed economy).

You're talking pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

blanch152 wrote: »
    Were you surprised?

I wasn’t.

There are no depths to which they won’t sink.

Whether you like it or not, they are the main political force in this country currently.
    Every main party in the Dail has got historical blood on their hands.
    You can argue about which cause was better than the other, but those are the facts.

• Advertisement

People are not continuing to vote for FG/FF,that is their problem

Your points about SF policys may be valid and they should be taken on on this in the elections and the people will decide.
    You talk as if only the unemployed got SF all the votes the last time which is not possible.

The problem is FG/FF/irish media think its better spend their time up at some womens house in Armagh every 5 years ,or the RTE setting up some television ambush on SF with someones relative that was a victim of the troubles 50 years ago instead of taking on SF on their policys
    They will then abandon these people as quick as they used them and the cycle will continue to its only logical conclusion

A lad setting a bomb off in London on a bus didn't "die for Ireland".

He is the very same type of lad that laid the Baltic exchange bomb
    The risk that that fella took concentrated the British goverments minds to do something and it created a more equal society for Catholics in NI
    i guess the relief that they got in a better NI made no difference to you from the comfort and safety to do what you want far away from it

For that,the people that suffered for generations with no chance of a future in NI are grateful to him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

PeadarCo wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that SF were smaller than the SDLP for the entire troubles. The IRA campaign was only ever supported by a minority of the nationalist community in North Ireland. The IRA held SF back politically as evidenced by SF growth post the GFA.

So when people refer to the IRA as criminals/terrorists etc that's exactly what they were. The IRA never had the majority of the support from the nationalist community(as evidenced by the lack of support for SF compared to the SDLP) during the period never mind the rest of the island.

During the war of independence the IRA of that era did have a democratic mandate as they were supported by an elected parliament.

Sinn Fein was a prohibited organisation. Have you heard of Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act?

For that,the people that suffered for generations with no chance of a future in NI are grateful to him

The majority just want to get on with their daily lives and most likely couldn't give a fly feck about some lad who blew himself up ,
    Life is going on across the country imagine that doesn't go down with the twitter brigade ,

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

jm08 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein was a prohibited organisation. Have you heard of Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act?

I presume you know that Section 31 was the law in the Republic, not Northern Ireland. Broadcasting curbs in the north were not as restrictive and for a much shorter period of time. SDLP outperformed Sinn Fein both before and after these curbs.

The majority just want to get on with their daily lives and most likely couldn't give a fly feck about some lad who blew himself up ,
    Life is going on across the country imagine that doesn't go down with the twitter brigade ,

Yea,but you just took the time out of not giving a flying feck to accuse the family of telling lies about not knowing he was in the IRA on the anniversary of his death.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Do you realise that has absolutely no bearing on what the other poster posted, or disproves anything within their post:confused:

Do the maths mate

24% of a vote means 76% of people didn't vote for SF
    Which means 76% of people didn't vote for more tax on the wages they earn.
    Seems fairly simple maths to me. But of course I am always welcome to correction.

Yea,but you just took the time out of not giving a flying feck to accuse the family of telling lies about not knowing he was in the IRA on the anniversary of his death.

Yeah and I stand by it ,

But it will be forgotten about in a few days if not the next 48 hours like all the others,
    Imagine this is what a feared terrorist organisation has come to nothing but social media and boards posts

People are not continuing to vote for FG/FF,that is their problem

Your points about SF policys may be valid and they should be taken on on this in the elections and the people will decide.
    You talk as if only the unemployed got SF all the votes the last time which is not possible.

The problem is FG/FF/irish media think its better spend their time up at some womens house in Armagh every 5 years ,or the RTE setting up some television ambush on SF with someones relative that was a victim of the troubles 50 years ago instead of taking on SF on their policys
    They will then abandon these people as quick as they used them and the cycle will continue to its only logical conclusion

I didn't talk as if only unemployed voted for SF but that is the stronghold for SF and always has been. This is what I said "You might be aware but a huge percentage of SF voters"

A huge percentage is not everyone.

What are you talking about a women in Armagh? I guess this again is about the young lad who was killed? Paul Quinn
    The Irish media etc during the election got an apology out of SF, something which they refused to do prior to the pressure been put on them. To the family that was a great result.
    Not that it will bring their son back but something at least. Do you not think?

Based on the recent polls I think you will find people will still vote for FG/FF. I am not sure ho many times on these threads we have been told FG and FF supporters no longer exist, hate to tell you they do. They are just not ranting and raving across social media 24x7 like some other party supporters are

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'll repeat myself. SF was the largest party in every age demographic bar pensioners, and the largest in every region of the country bar Munster.

We all saw the election result brightspark. And if your contention that SF voters are dole heads, then you must think that 24% of the population were on the scratch when the election was held (hint: we had as close to full employment as one can get in a developed economy).

You're talking pony.

Nobody asked what party was the largest demographic. I am talking about voter numbers which shows SF 24% everyone else 76%. Not sure why you are so confused?

Plus nobody said only "dole heads" vote for SF you made that assumption up all on your own.

Advertisement