Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein cancels bomber commemoration

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I don't see the relevance to this thread.

It's a reminder how 'heroic' the PIRA were, like this lad who SF tried to commemorate.
    He was nothing more than a terrorist who put innocent lives in danger.

markodaly wrote: »
    It's a reminder how 'heroic' the PIRA were, like this lad who SF tried to commemorate.

Died fighting for ireland though.....more worthy of commeration,than the tans imo

(Deosnt article in your lil tweet,admit he was innocent victim of a bomb,left for security forces?)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Died fighting for ireland though.

Bloody hell. Fighting for ireland. LOL.
    Fantasist goon more like. If he had asked Ireland, it would have just asked him to grow up and cop himself on.

Bloody hell. Fighting for ireland. LOL.
    Fantasist goon more like. If he had asked Ireland, it would have just asked him to grow up and cop himself on.

Meh.....you can disagree with his methods and idologly,

Whether it/he was right or wrong is each persons personal viewpoint,i guess,but the chap did in his view,die for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yet about 2,000 people turned up to his funeral in Wexford.
    https://youtu.be/eX1GxENJZtA?t=131

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

jm08 wrote: »

Hell, they'll turn out even if it means breaking covid restrictions.

Hell, they'll turn out even if it means breaking covid restrictions.

Who is ''they'' - the people of Gorey?

Died fighting for ireland though.....more worthy of commeration,than the tans imo

(Deosnt article in your lil tweet,admit he was innocent victim of a bomb,left for security forces?)

I suppose because he believes he died fighting for Ireland, I guess that absolves him and his type of all their crimes.
    Fantastic logic in excusing murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I suppose because he believes he died fighting for Ireland, I guess that absolves him and his type of all their crimes.

What about the ones who only killed soldiers?

What about the ones who only killed soldiers?

Would you include Irish soldiers and Gardai in that camp?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Would you include Irish soldiers and Gardai in that camp?

British soldiers ie the enemy

The ones that were shooting civilians and terrorizing people in northern Ireland. Those soldiers.
    War hardened from Tours of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,280 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://youtu.be/eX1GxENJZtA?t=131

Nobody asked him to fight for Ireland.

I would get more than 2,000 at my funeral (not including posters on here wanting to see I was really dead), that doesn’t mean a thing.

He is a stain on Ireland’s reputation, someone who should be consigned to the dustbin of history, the Irish equivalent of those who flew into the Twin Towers.

British soldiers ie the enemy

The same soldiers that Nationalists and the IRA welcomed when initially deployed?
    War hardened from Tours of Africa.

Well, that is a bit of a lie. The vast majority of people who served in the BA were working-class guys from the likes of Stoke or Hull, young men who were first deployed in the North.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nobody asked him to fight for Ireland.

I would get more than 2,000 at my funeral (not including posters on here wanting to see I was really dead), that doesn’t mean a thing.

He is a stain on Ireland’s reputation, someone who should be consigned to the dustbin of history, the Irish equivalent of those who flew into the Twin Towers.

You are not a terrorist Blanch, so no comparison. If you were from Gorey, would you go to the funeral even though you are revolted by the person's actions?

The same soldiers that Nationalists and the IRA welcomed when initially deployed?
    The nationalists didn't like them so much when they started terrorising them. Did you not know that they thought they were there to save them from the loyalists and what they got was worse.

Well, that is a bit of a lie. The vast majority of people who served in the BA were working-class guys from the likes of Stoke or Hull, young men who were first deployed in the North.

Some say that NI was used for 'training' to harden the young fellows up before they were let loose elsewhere. It was very convenient because they could do what they liked in their own country and no one would say a word to them.

The nationalists didn't like them so much when they started terrorising them. Did you not know that they thought they were there to save them from the loyalists and what they got was worse.

Ahistorical lies. The IRA were humiliated by the arrival of the BA to save the nationalists, so the Provos wanted to settle some scores and take pot shots at the BA, who in turn had to try and police the situation and go after the Provos in the community, which of course escalated.

Some say that NI was used for 'training' to harden the young fellows up before they were let loose elsewhere. It was very convenient because they could do what they liked in their own country and no one would say a word to them.

"Some say" Who are these people? Some guys on the Fall's Road? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

this is only the case in wishful thinking and not in reality, where you are completely incorrect on all points.

I think he's having a laugh most posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ahistorical lies. The IRA were humiliated by the arrival of the BA to save the nationalists, so the Provos wanted to settle some scores and take pot shots at the BA, who in turn had to try and police the situation and go after the Provos in the community, which of course escalated.

That's some re-write of history there :)

Noone said it absolves em from anything though?

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Wow, whats worrying is you probably believe all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

More rubbish pretending to be fact. Learn your history -

the provos didnt exist when the brits arrived ffs. The IRA barely existed at that time.

people were glad to see the soldiers thinking they would protect them from the loyalist and RUC attacks. the army joined in with the attackers instead and after that there were no more cups of tea.

The army arrived in aug, the provos started at the end of the following december.

I think its generally known that it suited the hawks in the British Military to have their troops battle hardened and ready as bar the Falksland for much of that time up to Afghanistan/Iraq, there wasn't much action for a professional army.

just for the record, the BA arrived in Northern Ireland in Aug 1969. The IRA split in December '69 and the Provos didn't really become a problem until 1972. The Official IRA were fairly harmless up to that. Certainly wouldn't have bothered the British Army.

Advertisement