Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein cancels bomber commemoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yet another Sinn Fein ate my hamster thread.

Tomorrow: Are Sinn Fein responsible for Japanese knotweed in your area? How many Sinn Feins are hiding under your bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

not a scumbag though.....we allow wearing of poppies in this country....but anyone who died for ireland or whats to remember is screamed scumbag at.......wtf?

Should we commemorate the people who planted the Omagh bomb?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »

An Irish govt actually put one of them in the Seannad ffs!

• Site Banned Posts: 22 JimCore

yet the British soldiers who shot up Croke Park and carried out Bloody Sunday up the North are :rolleyes:

McMurphy wrote: »
    An Irish govt actually put one of them in the Seannad ffs!

Who was this?

• Advertisement

Were any killed at planting it?

One of the main suspects have died, but don't answer the question.

I mean like commerations are for people,whom got killed on active service/died for ireland,

I felt it was reasonable to highlight,how ill informed your qs was,

Do you understand now,why the qs was irrelevant??

I feel that perhaps young begley,who got killed at shankill bomb attack,may be a more reasonable qs for yous to try pose,as regards commerations??

I think the question, went over your head, that one can legitimately honour anyone who carries out a terrorist murderous act....like Omagh.

It didnt....there are only commerations for people whom get killed,wile fighting for Ireland

Fighting for Ireland. Yawn!

Is Ireland a person? Or is it a country, and who asked them to fight for Ireland? The PIRA? What political and democratic mandate did they have?
    Oh... ZERO, was it? SF had little to no political support in the Republic at that time.

You may as well say the New IRA or whatever they call themselves are fighting for Ireland as well, when they killed Lyra McKee.

Sure the guys who planted the Omagh bomb, they were fighting for Ireland.... weren't they? Brave, brave people they were!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

2021 SF have a very bespoke take on militant Irish nationalism. We are expected to believe that generations of Irish men killed and died to reject colonisation from our nearest neighbors so that SF could surrender Ireland to colonisation by more distant peoples.

I'd never have described myself as an expert, but I don't think it was for George Nkencho that the men of 1916 died.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I mean like commerations are for people,whom got killed on active service/died for ireland,

Died for Ireland , no died in some misguided believe they were fighting for Ireland ,just like the myth that the Ra were fighting off hordes of the British army in Catholic areas ,
    It's all propaganda with staged photoshoots and videos and yobs in Balaclavas carrying guns ,
    While they were killing innocent people they were crying about volunteers getting killed by soldiers stopping attacks as a shoot to kill policy .

Beating a young man to death with 10 + people all armed with bats and bars some ard men there

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads im no fan of the shinners but it seems a bit much to criticise them for cancelling the damned thing

At least someone did so,only for them,there wouldnt be any nationlists left in the 6 counties

Lol seriously

They were literally burning out entire streets of catholics in belfast at the time (bombay street being most famous)....forcing catholics from their farms

And yet they killed more civilians and Catholic than the horde of the British army ,
    And on a odd note immigrants are getting burned out of their homes in the north ,seems people must have short memories

henry mcilhone was shot by the ira wasn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Gatling wrote: »
    And yet they killed more civilians and Catholic than the horde of the British army ,
    And on a odd note immigrants are getting burned out of their homes in the north ,seems people must have short memories

Nothing to do with memory loss, it's the same blatant sectarian hate that's always existed and created the apartheid NI state. Catholics are Catholics to the loyalists whether they're from Ireland or Poland.

🙈🙉🙊

mcilhone was shot by one of his own,so they say.....poor training,but at least some like him were willing to stand up for nationlists

Wasn't it Also claimed by a certain leader it was a well laid ambush too ,seems it's not so clear the ira defended anything and its more than likely the deployment of the army prevented more trouble and prevented many more deaths on both sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I have to admit that this is an odd thread.
    After you read the first page and then get more information, the whole narrative has changed. One of these days an AI script will adequately surmise the truth from the fiction and allow us to click on a "summation" link to figure things out, but at the moment (to me) it seems that somebody was trying to do the right thing.

Turns out british,just dont like anyone whom isnt a prodetant....i do feel any guns left lying about,should be given to those immigrants to defend their homes

That all well and good until a Catholic/protestants gets shot and all hell breaks lose and who defends the immigrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gatling wrote: »
    That all well and good until a Catholic/protestants gets shot and all hell breaks lose and who defends the immigrants

Unless it's a joke a couple of pages back, we all do. We all defend the immigrants.

Was that not at a street disturbence,because the psni went in smashing up pensionors homes??

Yea, the PSNI should have left that bomb-making equipment alone. How dare they carry out their duties and not leave those 'fighting for Ireland' alone to kill and murder others. The cheek of them!

But,they were fighting for ireland??

The Omagh bombers were fighting for Ireland you say.... by killing 29 innocent people?
    Again, what mandate did these people have? Who asked them to fight for Ireland, a few like-minded nut cases?

You may disagree with their methods/merits of doing so,bit none the less,it was ireland they fighting for......

You can dress it up how whatever way you want, to try and conceal and whatabout away the fact that these people were engaging in extrajudicial murder, with no mandate all from 'Ireland' or its people.

My contacts in the Special Branch told me Sinn Fein faked the moon landings and plotted with the Japanese Imperial Army to take over Manchuria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yea, the PSNI should have left that bomb-making equipment alone. How dare they carry out their duties and not leave those 'fighting for Ireland' alone to kill and murder others. The cheek of them!

The Omagh bombers were fighting for Ireland you say.... by killing 29 innocent people?
    Again, what mandate did these people have? Who asked them to fight for Ireland, a few like-minded nut cases?

You can dress it up how whatever way you want, to try and conceal and whatabout away the fact that these people were engaging in extrajudicial murder, with no mandate all from 'Ireland' or its people.

Ah Mark, you are all over the shop here. You do realise that the Omagh bombing was by dissident republicans because they didn't support the GFA and they wanted to ignite the troubles again. Its also worth rememering that the PSNI were severely criticised for their handling of the bombing investigation by the Police Ombudsman (which was the first time ever that the PSNI were criticised for their handling of the troubles in NI).

You are trying to ride two horses at the moment. On one hand Sinn Fein are criticised for keeping close to former paramilitaries but you can't get your head around that the only way to ensure that there are no more Omagh bombings and that militant republicans remain former paramilitaries is by keeping them in the political process. FFG need to be a bit more like John Hume and put peace on the island ahead of their own party political ambitions.

jm08 wrote: »
    Ah Mark, you are all over the shop here. You do realise that the Omagh bombing was by dissident republicans because they didn't support the GFA and they wanted to ignite the troubles again.

Provo or dissident or Real IRA, were they not all 'fighting for Ireland'?
    You are trying to ride two horses at the moment. On one hand Sinn Fein are criticised for keeping close to former paramilitaries but you can't get your head around that the only way to ensure that there are no more Omagh bombings and that militant republicans remain former paramilitaries is by keeping them in the political process. FFG need to be a bit more like John Hume and put peace on the island ahead of their own party political ambitions.

Wow, quite an admission. So the PIRA and SF are STILL interlinked and basically one entity, and everyone should just stay quiet and mute when SF/PIRA go away and do something earth-shattering stupid?

The GFA was over 22 years ago, how long more should everyone else need to wait for SF/PIRA to grow the **** up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Akesh wrote: »
    Grow up? Do you think someone who ridicules Sinn Fein for using politics to bring about the change they want i.e. The whole point of the GFA, is in any position to tell others to grow up?

I'm not sure a Criminal from our country attempting to commit a crime in another is someone who can be accepted in any way by any decent human being.

Personally and I believe by our law, this chap was part of a criminal organisation and was commiting a crime by the laws in the UK.

Just happy he was useless enough it ended without more than his own life lost.

Don't see how the shinners can support criminals - as he was at that time. The Republic aint the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Nobody is expecting them not to commemorate him, or the memory of him.

But doing so in a public manner is incredibly short-sighted. It is naive at best, and inflammatory at worst. In fact, it does more to sow division than anything else. Trying to publicly honour this would-be murderer is in such poor taste that you're asking for backlash. Not to mention that it makes a mockery of commemorating real Irish heroes.

"Would be murder" ?
    I've read a few of your posts,and you seem to have forgotten one important fact.He is/was a murderer. His victims name was Brendan Woolhead. He was an inocent passenger on the bus. He was also an Irishman.

"Would be murder" ?
    I've read a few of your posts,and you seem to have forgotten one important fact.He is/was a murderer. His victims name was Brendan Woolhead. He was an inocent passenger on the bus. He was also an Irishman.

You sure about that?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ira-blast-survivor-died-after-flawed-drug-cure-26070918.html

Sad story, but he died via some sort of weird medical misadventure for his heroin addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yurt! wrote: »
    You sure about that?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ira-blast-survivor-died-after-flawed-drug-cure-26070918.html

Sad story, but he died via some sort of weird medical misadventure for his heroin addiction.

My bad. Always thought he died from complications of the bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Imagine a commemoration for an ISIS bomber in ireland. Same things. Tragic a main political party thinks this is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Good. This was a f*cking stupid idea, and wrong. SF badly need to drop the historical support for IRA activities which targeted innocent civilians in England, they're flying high on the basis of modern day economic and social ideology and they really, really don't need this sh!te which can only alienate the legion of young voters they've been courting.

Fair play to them for dropping the commemoration, IMO they should do a lot more than this an issue an official statement from party HQ condemning it as incendiary and inflammatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Good. This was a f*cking stupid idea, and wrong. SF badly need to drop the historical support for IRA activities which targeted innocent civilians in England, they're flying high on the basis of modern day economic and social ideology and they really, really don't need this sh!te which can only alienate the legion of young voters they've been courting.

Fair play to them for dropping the commemoration, IMO they should do a lot more than this an issue an official statement from party HQ condemning it as incendiary and inflammatory.

Are they flying high?
    I know it is the best SF ever have been but hardly flying high compared to everyone else.
    Leo is going around handing confidential documents to his mates and it is nip & tuck between the two of them.
    Flying high would suggest they are way ahead of everyone which they are not. Probably never will be before the next election at least

A certain percentage of voters will fall for the huff&puff noise like Pearse shouting about insurance, the rest of us actually look into the bill and see its a pile of poo. Unless they can come up with some decent ideas for everyone they will never fly ahead, trying to drive MNC out of Ireland and also taxing the ass out of workers are not decent ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Are they flying high?
    I know it is the best SF ever have been but hardly flying high compared to everyone else.
    Leo is going around handing confidential documents to his mates and it is nip & tuck between the two of them.
    Flying high would suggest they are way ahead of everyone which they are not. Probably never will be before the next election at least

A certain percentage of voters will fall for the huff&puff noise like Pearse shouting about insurance, the rest of us actually look into the bill and see its a pile of poo. Unless they can come up with some decent ideas for everyone they will never fly ahead, trying to drive MNC out of Ireland and also taxing the ass out of workers are not decent ideas

They've captured and energised a hugely disenfranchised generation and resulted in widespread, hitherto unseen, political engagement among that generation. It's not really about individual results but about trends. It's also fairly widely recognised that SF would have been the biggest party in the current Dáil had they realised their electoral potential before the deadline for declaring candidates, particularly in several of the Dublin constituencies.

They definitely are flying high at the moment and all I'm saying is that sh!te like this is probably the only thing that can bring them down, ergo even if they refuse to see the inherent immorality in commemorating atrocities committed against civilians, it baffles my mind that they can't at least see how it's a stupid move politically speaking.

Most of their newfound young support is in spite of, not because of, their links to historical terrorism. Continually publicising this sh!te is one way to cause at least some of those voters to back off and vote for PBP instead.

As someone who hopes to see an SF-led coalition without either FF or FG's involvement after the next election (again, in spite of, rather than because of, The Troubles) I just wish they'd realise how bad the optics are in this kind of sh!te and back off a bit. In the same way as Cullinane's "up the ra" comment on election results night caused me to facepalm in a massive way.

I also think it's quite amusing that some will surely accuse me of being some kind of hypocrite or double-speaker for this. The idea that one can support a party in general while condemning specific policy positions or cultural aspects of that party is one of the very, very toxic aspects of Irish politics - much like the three line whip, this "all in or all out" thing is utterly f*cking asinine.

Advertisement