Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Speak Now wrote: »
    Was listening to the Sunday show driving back from Dublin is Joe Molloy always so poor? He was giving out cricket updates without saying how many wickets were down. He found it amazing the Federer was able to come back from 1 set down twice. Had Kerry beating Cork in the hurling whilst I think kilkenny were beating Mayo. It just seemed to be mistake after mistake regardless of the sport he was covering. Maybe he just had a worse than normal day, seemed totally distracted He only seems to come to life when talking about golf, Rory this Rory that!

Bad start for Rory today. Joe will be inconsolable.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Speak Now wrote: »
    Was listening to the Sunday show driving back from Dublin is Joe Molloy always so poor? He was giving out cricket updates without saying how many wickets were down. He found it amazing the Federer was able to come back from 1 set down twice. Had Kerry beating Cork in the hurling whilst I think kilkenny were beating Mayo. It just seemed to be mistake after mistake regardless of the sport he was covering. Maybe he just had a worse than normal day, seemed totally distracted He only seems to come to life when talking about golf, Rory this Rory that!

Joe is good at this job and an excellent broadcaster but I feel he lacks the passion for sport you get with Nathan Murphy or Eoin McDevitt. It feels like just a job for him.

In a few years I could picture Joe hosting a show like Ireland AM or replace Daithí O’Sè on that awful afternoon show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

redbuck wrote: »
    Joe is good at this job and an excellent broadcaster but I feel he lacks the passion for sport you get with Nathan Murphy or Eoin McDevitt. It feels like just a job for him.

In a few years I could picture Joe hosting a show like Ireland AM or replace Daithí O’Sè on that awful afternoon show.

I think he is a very good sports presenter. I think some of his 1 to 1 interviews are some of the best and he brings out the best in guests during them.

Given he has landed the rugby host gig, I think he will have a variety of options over the years without straying outside of sport.
    Maybe he will look for a change, Ryle Nugent moved on from must have been a pretty secure gig in RTE sport for whatever reasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Joe is a bit more reserved than the other two but I think that's his personality.

I never got the feeling it's just a job for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Do they ever mention the fact that Rory McIlroy, while a super golfer, is an absolute prick?
    Because they were all over Tiger Woods being a tosser.

• Advertisement

Do they ever mention the fact that Rory McIlroy, while a super golfer, is an absolute prick?
    Because they were all over Tiger Woods being a tosser.

Woods has public evidence of his misbehavior.
    What has McIlroy done?

Woods has public evidence of his misbehavior.
    What has McIlroy done?
    This is pulled from his Wikipedia page. I don't dislike Rory McIlroy, but often times people will say to me that they strongly dislike him and it's hard to disagree.
    The man is a prick, it's hard to say he isn't.
    In May 2009, McIlroy described the Ryder Cup as an "exhibition". McIlroy said: "It's not a huge goal of mine. In the big scheme of things it's not that important an event for me. It's an exhibition at the end of the day."[134] McIlroy went on to say: "Golf is an individual sport. You have individual goals and my goals are to win tournaments for myself."[135] European Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie responded by saying that the contest "is not an exhibition and it never will be. It's a very unique, special event."[134] The following year, in 2010, McIlroy said that he regretted his earlier comments and said that the Ryder Cup is "definitely not an exhibition".[136]

In May 2011, McIlroy was criticised for skipping The Players Championship. The skip was controversial because 48 of the top 50 in the world participated in it, the other golfer skipping being Lee Westwood.[137]

On 17 July 2011, following a poor showing over the weekend in the 2011 Open Championship, McIlroy told the media that he was "not a fan of golf tournaments that are predicted so much by the weather," and saying he would rather "wait for a year when the weather is nice" instead of tuning his game to prepare for the Open Championship. He also added that he would "rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind".[138]

On 28 July 2011, after being criticised on air by commentator Jay Townsend about McIlroy's questionable course management skills during the first round of the Irish Open, McIlroy wrote on Twitter telling Townsend to "shut up" and saying Townsend is a "failed golfer" and that "his opinion meant nothing". Later, McIlroy stood by his comments and stated that his comments were made in defense of his caddie J. P. Fitzgerald whom Townsend had been blaming for McIlroy's course management since 2008.[139]

In February 2013, McIlroy was criticised for withdrawing from the 2013 Honda Classic, citing tooth pain. Critics claimed that tooth pain was not the issue, and that McIlroy, the world number one at the time, was having difficulty adjusting to new equipment, and that he should have finished the tournament. Regarding his withdrawal, McIlroy stated, "this is one of my favourite tournaments of the year and I regret having to make the decision to withdraw, but it was one I had to make."[140]

In March 2015, McIlroy threw a club into the water at the WGC-Cadillac Championship after hitting his ball into the water on the par-5 eighth hole during the second round at Doral.[141] McIlroy subsequently apologized for throwing the club saying "It felt good at the time but now I regret it. Frustration got the better of me."[142]

On the eve of the Open Championship in 2016, McIlroy said he would not watch the golf tournament at the Olympic Games and would focus on the sports that matter like swimming and track & field having previously withdrawn from representing Ireland in the games due to the threat of the Zika virus in Brazil.[143] Following the tournament, McIlroy went on to admit his surprise at how successful it had been, and that he had been wrong to dismiss it.[144]

This is pulled from his Wikipedia page. I don't dislike Rory McIlroy, but often times people will say to me that they strongly dislike him and it's hard to disagree.
    The man is a prick, it's hard to say he isn't.

Most of those are purely him trying to give himself the best chances in his career. Don't think every guy who throws a club away is automatically categorized as a pr*ck.

Tiger cheated on his wife, manipulated his family for his benefit and there are examples of him being flat out rude to people.

Don't think McIlroy could be classed as having misbehaved in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Anyone catch Eoin and Kevin this morning - Eoin is growing on me more and more. He is not afraid to disagree with anyone, including Kev. They were discussing McIlroy and his off the green activities with what he says before big tournaments and endorsements that he is paid for, and how the pressure is on him to perform from himself. Eoin was not afraid to disagree with Kev on his analysis of McIlroy.

Most of those are purely him trying to give himself the best chances in his career. Don't think every guy who throws a club away is automatically categorized as a pr*ck.

Tiger cheated on his wife, manipulated his family for his benefit and there are examples of him being flat out rude to people.

Don't think McIlroy could be classed as having misbehaved in the same way.
    Okay he's definitely not a tosser.

• Advertisement

There's a big "Your ma" energy off of Cliona Foley. A postage stamp would fit her knowledge of sport on the back of it.

There's a big "Your ma" energy off of Cliona Foley. A postage stamp would fit her knowledge of sport on the back of it.

From her Linkedin page
    Sports Journalist with the Irish Independent for 25 years during which I covered three Summer Olympics, 20 European and World Championships and over 100 All-Ireland (GAA) finals at senior, minor and U21 level (men/women).

From her Linkedin page
    Athletics and Gah, how she's spent 25 years covering one of those without losing her mind is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Athletics and Gah, how she's spent 25 years covering one of those without losing her mind is beyond me.

My favourite sport is better than your favourite sport! Yawn :rolleyes: Grow up

My favourite sport is better than your favourite sport! Yawn :rolleyes: Grow up
    Cheers da.

Truest thing you've ever said.

Truest thing you've ever said.
    Here, if you've an issue send me a message as opposed to putting it up here and wallowing in glorious "thanks".
    Don't be yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Be an interesting guy to be sitting beside on a flight.

He is a man with very set opinions don't bring up Sky Sports and the GAA with him for example.
    He is passionate about his and knowledgeable about his subjects at least.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Will Newstalk still be doing live premiership commentaries this year? I hear that Today FM have lost the rights for the Saturday games?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Will Newstalk still be doing live premiership commentaries this year? I hear that Today FM have lost the rights for the Saturday games?

I expect so but don't know if they're going to take on broadcasting a game at 15:00 on the Saturday.

Pity to see it go from Today FM after so long.

I'd have thought if they were going to have weekly Saturday games that they'd be announcing it already but maybe they will yet.

• Advertisement

I expect so but don't know if they're going to take on broadcasting a game at 15:00 on the Saturday.

Pity to see it go from Today FM after so long.

I'd have thought if they were going to have weekly Saturday games that they'd be announcing it already but maybe they will yet.

That is one thing I would listen to is live broadcasts of games.
    They do a good job with the GAA live games.

That is one thing I would listen to is live broadcasts of games.
    They do a good job with the GAA live games.

They used to in fairness. Particularly when woolly was involved.

I'm not a fan of the 2 live soccer games on a Sunday. Would prefer to see them do one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

They used to in fairness. Particularly when woolly was involved.

The show still suffers from not having Woolly there. Kenny is the only one with any sort of personality to give a bit of colour to things. Love to know what went on there, I'd say he must have had a row with Gilroy. I can imagine the two of them butting heads.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wooly is a pompous arsehole and he's not missed at all. He was only keen on being a contrary moanbag rather than have any meaningful discussions about anything.

The pitchside reports from the GAA games were the only thing he was good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Faugheen wrote:
    Wooly is a pompous arsehole and he's not missed at all. He was only keen on being a contrary moanbag rather than have any meaningful discussions about anything.
    Faugheen wrote:
    The pitchside reports from the GAA games were the only thing he was good for.

Give his podcast a try, The GAA Hour. I find it very informative, balanced, and detailed. Probably the best GAA coverage out there. It might change your view of him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Give his podcast a try, The GAA Hour. I find it very informative, balanced, and detailed. Probably the best GAA coverage out there. It might change your view of him.

You assume I haven’t?

It’s grand, but he’s still the same person. One person’s ‘balanced’ is another person’s ‘biased’. He still likes to wind people up on twitter and use it as content for his podcast.

He’s a contrarian, and his traits are no different to the ones people give out about Ger Gilroy.

Faugheen wrote: »
    You assume I haven’t?

It’s grand, but he’s still the same person. One person’s ‘balanced’ is another person’s ‘biased’. He still likes to wind people up on twitter and use it as content for his podcast.

He’s a contrarian, and his traits are no different to the ones people give out about Ger Gilroy.

There are major differences between Wooly and Ger Gilroy

1) Humility - to use English soccer parlance - Wooly 'holds his hands up' when he is wrong and has no qualms admitting it
    Ger Gilroy rarely/if ever does that, there is always the undercurrent of smug self righteousness.
    Wooly can take the p out of himself as well, Gilroy would never do this he prefers to run others down in his 'banter'.

2) Analysis - Wooly has played sport at a high level and sees it from the players point of view - therefore he can do analysis well.
    Gilroy only has the bookish pseudo-intellectual approach.

This leads on nicely to the third major difference.

3) Delivery - Wooly asks a question straight and to the point.
    Gilroy (in contrast) has a tendency on a waffley/wordy field trip with numerous teenage girlish 'likes' thrown in. Then stumbles and gets lost in it, leaving the interviewee flummoxed. (see his interview with MON about two years ago below)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103737180

In Gilroy parlance ask yourself - 'how many times was he like' talking in that high excitable annoying pitch he does?

"Eh, uh, like eh, uh" is his other delivery style when not being condescending.
    (It is hard to believe the fella has an English degree)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51777665

The next difference is purely subjective on my part.

4) Likability - personality wise Wooly just seems like a much sounded fella than Gilroy. To me, most people could go for an enjoyable pint with Wooly, I am not sure the same can be said for Ger Gilroy.
    There is a real smug, nasty, arrogant, undercurrent about Ger Gilroy.

In an interview over well over a decade ago it was telling for me, as Gilroy describes himself as "slightly nerdy, but cool"

https://www.independent.ie/life/family/learning/focus-on-faces-rte-and-newstalk-presenter-ger-gilroy-25964247.html

That is how Gilroy still likes to see himself, I think.

^^^
    You don't like Ger (just a hunch) but you are not comparing apples with apples here. What you've done is like comparing Jeff Stelling with Paul Merson. They do different roles.
    Woolly was a general contributor with a strong focus on GAA and with an interest in football (which seemed largely to focus on his experience and view as an Everton fan).

Yeah, Ger doesn't like being disagreed with (not many do) but can you remember Wooly the time he was advocating a particular championship structure. He got fairly irate that it wasn't receiving more attention.

One thing that always gives me a laugh about Wooly. He has 50K followers on Twitter (I'm one of them) and he follows 0 people. If Ger did that, many would say he's only interested in his own opinion.

^^^
    You don't like Ger (just a hunch) but you are not comparing apples with apples here. What you've done is like comparing Jeff Stelling with Paul Merson. They do different roles.
    Woolly was a general contributor with a strong focus on GAA and with an interest in football (which seemed largely to focus on his experience and view as an Everton fan).

Yeah, Ger doesn't like being disagreed with (not many do) but can you remember Wooly the time he was advocating a particular championship structure. He got fairly irate that it wasn't receiving more attention.

One thing that always gives me a laugh about Wooly. He has 50K followers on Twitter (I'm one of them) and he follows 0 people. If Ger did that, many would say he's only interested in his own opinion.

I think to paraphrase what you normally say you are stretching things a bit.

1) They are both Radio Presenters (and both were contributors at one time or another)
    Both lads have produced their respective shows.

2) Gilroy is supposed to be the more educated of the two men - degree in English - but yet comes across a very poor community radio presenter most of the time
    But I would argue that from a presenting skills point of view - Parkinson has long since passed anything Gilroy has produced.
    Parkinson has improved. Gilroy has not.
    It really shows that Gilroy has never actually studied journalism, and he has clearly not improved on the job. If anything he has gotten worse.
    Plus Parkinson is doing what he is good at and experienced at and has real knowledge of, where his strengths are.
    In contrast there is always a feeling of 'winging it' from Ger Gilroy.

3) Gilroy NEVER likes to be disagreed with EVER his ego cannot take it.
    He takes himself very seriously (remember email bag - he had no problem slagging off everyone else on the show except himself)
    Parkinson would say when he was wrong about something or would be self deprecating about himself.
    When has Gilroy being self-deprecating ever?

4) As for the twitter thing that seems like a very weak argument, and using the very 'whataboutery hypothetical' situation (that you rightly) chastise people on this very thread for.
    I would expect more from you to be honest.

There is one thing in that post I agree with you on and you are 100% correct on I do not like Ger Gilroy - for all the reasons I stated in this post and the last one.

It is my main reason for no longer listening to OTB, I cannot stick the fella, nor do I care about what he has to say.

• Advertisement

The shows are very different. I still maintain you are not making a direct comparison.
    Your assessment of which is a better presenter is still rooted in your dislike of Ger I feel, it is not really objective. Ger covers a magazine show with numerous sports, angles presenters and visual pieces. Wooly's is much more streamlined with studio guests and maybe one person on the phone for a 1:1 interview.

I think the Twitter thing is a stronger argument than "3) Gilroy NEVER likes to be disagreed with EVER his ego cannot take it." given that it has a basis in evidence.

If you've spent 10 years disliking someone, you're hardly going to change now which is fine one way or the other.
    One last thing. Ger hasn't been on Monday to Friday or Saturday/Sunday in years I'd say at this point so if you're not tuning in just to avoid him, maybe don't let him control your life so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement