Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The shows are very different. I still maintain you are not making a direct comparison.
    Your assessment of which is a better presenter is still rooted in your dislike of Ger I feel, it is not really objective. Ger covers a magazine show with numerous sports, angles presenters and visual pieces. Wooly's is much more streamlined with studio guests and maybe one person on the phone for a 1:1 interview.

I think the Twitter thing is a stronger argument than "3) Gilroy NEVER likes to be disagreed with EVER his ego cannot take it." given that it has a basis in evidence.

If you've spent 10 years disliking someone, you're hardly going to change now which is fine one way or the other.
    One last thing. Ger hasn't been on Monday to Friday or Saturday/Sunday in years I'd say at this point so if you're not tuning in just to avoid him, maybe don't let him control your life so much.

Again you got your usual passive aggressive dig in at the end.
    Gilroy controls my life :D - I suppose that has a basis in evidence?

I found better outlets than OTB like the GAA hour for example as I felt OTB got gradually worse.
    Do you ever remember Gilroy saying he was wrong or took the blame for a **** up?
    I don't.

Plus, I see Gilroy as the 'Mike Ashley of OTB' the real problem behind the show.
    He dictates content, narrative etc.

Yeah I might be biased because I do think that Gilroy is a bit of an árse.
    (He started off OK but as he got more confident he go more @rsey and smug - then he was given the reins big mistake imo)

I could counter and say you are biased considering you NEVER say anything negative about OTB.
    Yet have no qualms giving negative criticism to other shows like the GAA hour.
    There is definitely evidence for that!

But me on the other hand if I did not like something I would say it when Parkinson says 'TG four' for example.
    Personally I cannot take your opinions seriously if your line is always everything is rosy in the OTB garden, or make excuses if it is not.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not passive anything. You claimed you don't listen to OTB because of your dislike of Ger. Ger is on for about 20% of the entire content of the show on an average week.

I don't always say everything is rosy in OTB. I've repeatedly said I don't enjoy most of the road shows, I said several times lately I think the whole 24Hr sports radio is a marketing mess, I've queried the strategy behind the golfing trip, I've listed several sports which I think are under-represented on the show and suggested ways I would like to see them get more cover. In fact, I've said Ger is far from my favourite presenter on the show. Of course you missed all that.

But, like clockwork, if I respond in any way countering something which I feel is not objectively the case, I'm the one accused of being biased. By people who simultaneously never listen to the show, but still can say how bad it is.

It's not passive anything. You claimed you don't listen to OTB because of your dislike of Ger. Ger is on for about 20% of the entire content of the show on an average week.

I don't always say everything is rosy in OTB. I've repeatedly said I don't enjoy most of the road shows, I said several times lately I think the whole 24Hr sports radio is a marketing mess, I've queried the strategy behind the golfing trip, I've listed several sports which I think are under-represented on the show and suggested ways I would like to see them get more cover. In fact, I've said Ger is far from my favourite presenter on the show. Of course you missed all that.

But, like clockwork, if I respond in any way countering something which I feel is not objectively the case, I'm the one accused of being biased. By people who simultaneously never listen to the show, but still can say how bad it is.

So what you are saying is you half agree with me! Kinda, sorta, a bit. :D
    Ger was my main reason for not listening to the show, the shows modus operandi changed on top of that.
    The presenters do not seem to be the right mix
    The level of self-importance has gone through the roof.
    All that type of stuff.
    I would only really listen now for a live GAA match, tried the paper review a little while back (car radio) - awful self serving guff it was.
    Nathan Murphy is the only hope that OTB has going forward imo.
    The rest are expendable.
    Maybe keep Joe for Golf only.

I said before I would listen to it more if I knew what presenters were on so I could avoid the 20% and the rest I do not like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Tell me how, you're absolutely painful on this thread. You don't have to jump to OTB's rescue after Every. Single. Negative. Comment.
    Give it a break pal yeah?

So what you are saying is you half agree with me! Kinda, sorta, a bit. :D

Lets not go nuts.

There's a lot more to like about the show than to dislike. That's what I'm saying.

• Advertisement

Tell me how, you're absolutely painful on this thread. You don't have to jump to OTB's rescue after Every. Single. Negative. Comment.
    Give it a break pal yeah?

Ah if that if what the fella wants to do, that what he wants to do.
    He can praise OTB as much as I give out about Ger Gilroy the thread needs balance! :D

In fairness TellMeHow did say he did not like the OTB roadshows and that Gilroy would not be his favourite presenter.
    Maybe the fella is just a big fan of other aspects of the show?

The not his favourite presenter bit made me laugh as well, as it reminded me of commentators at games saying 'not the tallest of players' 'not the quickest' 'not having his best game'
    Instead of saying slow, short, and shíte!

Ah if that if what the fella wants to do, that what he wants to do.
    He can praise OTB as much as I give out about Ger Gilroy the thread needs balance! :D

In fairness TellMeHow did say he did not like the OTB roadshows and that Gilroy would not be his favourite presenter.
    Maybe the fella is just a big fan of other aspects of the show?

The not his favourite presenter bit made me laugh as well, as it reminded me of commentators at games saying 'not the tallest of players' 'not the quickest' 'not having his best game'
    Instead of saying slow, short, and shíte!

I'm just baffled by those that choose to hang out in a thread about a show they never listen to....

I'm just baffled by those that choose to hang out in a thread about a show they never listen to....

Yeah that kinda amuses me as well, particularly those that make up imagined hypothetical discussions about what could go on air - while not listening

Considering I don't listen to it there is a bit of irony there.
    But i pop back in now and again to see what the craic is and comment on things that I do listen to like the GAA hour
    (which I think as highly of as you do of OTB.)
    So I leapt to it's defence like you do with OTB.

I assume many just follow this thread to pop in/gawk/just to moan.
    Or on the off chance there might be something interesting.
    (Regardless of whether they listen to it or not)

I don't even follow the thread now, as the standard of comments used to be funnier/more craic - but it has dropped significantly imo.
    What I do is go to my last OTB post in the radio section have a quick glance - gaa hour' negative criticism - Gilroy :eek:
    Red rag to a bull for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The shows are very different. I still maintain you are not making a direct comparison.
    Your assessment of which is a better presenter is still rooted in your dislike of Ger I feel, it is not really objective. Ger covers a magazine show with numerous sports, angles presenters and visual pieces. Wooly's is much more streamlined with studio guests and maybe one person on the phone for a 1:1 interview.

I think the Twitter thing is a stronger argument than "3) Gilroy NEVER likes to be disagreed with EVER his ego cannot take it." given that it has a basis in evidence.

If you've spent 10 years disliking someone, you're hardly going to change now which is fine one way or the other.
    One last thing. Ger hasn't been on Monday to Friday or Saturday/Sunday in years I'd say at this point so if you're not tuning in just to avoid him, maybe don't let him control your life so much.

Oh it's "Ger" now. Very informal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Oh it's "Ger" now. Very informal. :D

Isn't that his name?

It's less informal than 'Wooly' surely :pac:

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Isn't that his name?

It's less informal than 'Wooly' surely :pac:

Plus it is long time since Ger had a wooly head of hair.
    Definitely not three bags full anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Wonder if Ger & Wooly are watching the debate on this thread - if you are lads, give the posters a wave :P

robo wrote: »
    Wonder if Ger & Wooly are watching the debate on this thread - if you are lads, give the posters a wave :P
    Ger is watching the Brexit down the pub World Matchplay.

robo wrote: »
    I'm sure anyone who has a thread about their work reads it, given that this is such a small island.

I'd doubt they'd feel like waving at some of the nonsense that is written here tbqh

I am starting to think is Ger Gilroy just playing a 'persona' or exaggerating himself much like the WWF wrestlers Hulk Hogan, or Conor McGregor in the MMA?
    Or like his contemporary's in the journalistic field old/young Eamon Dunphy/Ewan McKenna ?

It is all about looking for a reaction by being outlandish and being smug/arrogant while saying it - is that the simple trick?
    Or is that just what he is like?

I am starting to think is Ger Gilroy just playing a 'persona' or exaggerating himself much like the WWF wrestlers Hulk Hogan, or Conor McGregor in the MMA?
    Or like his contemporary's in the journalistic field old/young Eamon Dunphy/Ewan McKenna ?

It is all about looking for a reaction by being outlandish and being smug/arrogant while saying it - is that the simple trick?
    Or is that just what he is like?

Ah, have you started to listen?
    Or are you basing this on when you heard him ten years ago?

Ah, have you started to listen?
    Or are you basing this on when you heard him ten years ago?

No. I was just thinking there will all the furor McKenna is trying to create on social Media by attacking others sporting successes - 'the bitter little man persona'. To keep themselves in the spotlight get clicks, keep relevant.

McKenna started attacking the Dubs in GAA finances. OK fair enough.

Then he started to go really off the rails -

He then moved on to attacking Rugby after the Irish win against the All Blacks
    Then he moved on to attacking Jim Gavin in a personal attack.
    His most recent one was attacking Shane Lowry in a personal attack.
    Make it outlandish to get attention - wind up the fans of the various sports.

Now I know Gilroy is not as bad as McKenna when it comes to that type of thing but he has been known to do it. See his comments on the darts for instance.
    When he was first on Newstalk OTB he seemed to gradually tried to go on 'the wind up' more and more - little side comments digs at others expense.
    Does he really believe what he is saying or is he just playing the game? Selling the show with a few 'off the ball' digs to let people know that he is there. 'Welcome to my pitch you are listening to OTB now' type of thing, you get nothing easy here!

No. I was just thinking there will all the furor McKenna is trying to create on social Media by attacking others sporting successes - 'the bitter little man persona'. To keep themselves in the spotlight get clicks, keep relevant.

McKenna started attacking the Dubs in GAA finances. OK fair enough.

Then he started to go really off the rails -

He then moved on to attacking Rugby after the Irish win against the All Blacks
    Then he moved on to attacking Jim Gavin in a personal attack.
    His most recent one was attacking Shane Lowry in a personal attack.
    Make it outlandish to get attention - wind up the fans of the various sports.

Now I know Gilroy is not as bad as McKenna when it comes to that type of thing but he has been known to do it. See his comments on the darts for instance.
    When he was first on Newstalk OTB he seemed to gradually tried to go on 'the wind up' more and more - little side comments digs at others expense.
    Does he really believe what he is saying or is he just playing the game? Selling the show with a few 'off the ball' digs to let people know that he is there. 'Welcome to my pitch you are listening to OTB now' type of thing, you get nothing easy here!

The comment on the darts was one throwaway comment which was neither that insulting or unusual. People make comments about football and hooligans in a 'generic way' at times. People comment on GAA in a particular way at times. Paul Howard has made a career out of playing on a particular stereotype. Look at what people say about professional cyclists and their fans.
    Brexit has been characterised by overly brash nationalistic supporters. To draw a link between that and the crowds at the 'Ally Pally' at times is not completely out of left field. I would use a similar analogy that any Brexit fan who isn't at the darts, is probably at the cricket because they seem to be the 2 demographics who are advocates of it. Is that entirely true? Absolutely not, but it is true enough to be an acceptable comment when likely said in some form of humorous environment.

As for Ewan Mackenna. I really liked him as a journalist and think a lot of the points he makes are relevant, but, if I was his friend now, I'd be meeting him for a drink and asking him does he think he might benefit from getting help for whatever it is that is causing him to be so irrationally judgemental in all cases now (Lowry comments epitomised this).

I just don't see how it helps him. When he was younger, he had the skill to see interesting topics and explore them but now, it seems his motivation is rooted in being cynical and I feel sorry for him that he thinks it is necessary to always look at everything through such a lens. He's often compared to Paul Kimmage but Paul has managed to still hold on to things which give him joy. I don't see it with Ewan.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Ger Gilroy isn't even the biggest prat involved with Off the Ball.

In my opinion that honour falls to one Richie McCormack.

He regularly butts in with thinly veiled insults towards his fellow presenters along with his constant condescending attitude.

The Dadcast is the biggest vanity project ever.

Ger Gilroy getting him and his mates together in a room to talk utter rubbish just because he has the stroke to get a podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The comment on the darts was one throwaway comment which was neither that insulting or unusual.

Let's not be coy here. It was an insult. The "BREXIT down the pub" can essentially be read as "The same idiot racists that voted for BREXIT". He should have just stayed out of politics but he cant help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Ahwell

He should have just stayed out of politics

Why, because it offends you? I think I can say with some confidence that most people who heard that comment didn't even bat an eyelid. The only ones disturbed by it were a few sensitive souls on here.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Why, because it offends you? I think I can say with some confidence that most people who heard that comment didn't even bat an eyelid. The only ones disturbed by it were a few sensitive souls on here.
    Yeah, nothing wrong with essentially calling all darts fans a load of fat, racist labourers.
    The way you speak makes me think you agree with him.

Yeah, nothing wrong with essentially calling all darts fans a load of fat, racist labourers.

Unless I'm missing something, which is possible because I only saw the Youtube clip, "fat" was a comment made by someone else and it was not directed at fans and nobody mentioned "labourers".

Unless I'm missing something, which is possible because I only saw the Youtube clip, "fat" was a comment made by someone else and it was not directed at fans and nobody mentioned "labourers".
    That's the type of people he's on about though.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's the type of people he's on about though.

I don’t recall him saying that.

I took that comment as him saying the type of lads in the pub that would vote for Brexit, which I don’t think is too outlandish whatsoever.

Whatever that means I don’t know, but for you to state what he was talking about is merely speculation and in no way represents a fact whatsoever

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don’t recall him saying that.

I took that comment as him saying the type of lads in the pub that would vote for Brexit, which I don’t think is too outlandish whatsoever.

Whatever that means I don’t know, but for you to state what he was talking about is merely speculation and in no way represents a fact whatsoever
    If it makes you happy I'll drop the labourer part, is that okay fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Mr.Gilroy was generalising and stereotyping, which isn't great though is it? He's not alone with these types of lazy sneers of course. Ken Early is as bad. Which is no coincidence. This type of mindset tends to be reinforced by colleagues or former colleagues in the workplace or among friends. It's a type of groupthink.Common enough in today's version of journalism, sadly. Very few individual thinkers.
    As 'journalists' they really should try to avoid it; as it indicates a less than open mind.

If I went on a tirade about gah people being inbreds and brain-dead I'm sure your sensitive soul wouldn't be long appearing?

• Advertisement

If I went on a tirade about gah people being inbreds and brain-dead I'm sure your sensitive soul wouldn't be long appearing?

It wouldn't bother me in the least. While "Brexit down the pub" was meant to be disparaging, it is not the same as referring to all darts fans "a load of fat, racist labourers" or gaa fans as "inbreds and brain-dead". The're your words, not his.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement