Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

threein99 wrote: »
    It was like a school teacher scolding a student :D

I wonder was he getting his own back for how much of a big deal they made of his "queer" remark. I mean they treated it like it was the most important human rights issue of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

surprised Joe didn't spontaneously combust when Pat Lam said that he was a Christian and found great morals from his beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Funny moment there with Gilroy and Martin O'Neill.

Ger starts off on one of his 15 minute, meandering, self indulgent questions. When he's finished Martin O'Neill says

Martin: "I'm sorry, I'm don't understand what your asking?"

Ger(truncating the question): "Do you think the TV coverage is overly negative?"

Martin: "Why didn't you just ask me that in the first place, the other question was about fifteen minutes long?"
    :p

I listen to this on the podcast I am glad I am not the only one who found this hilarious.

My first thought was "fair play to you Martin about time someone called out the eejit!"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha, really? Must listen back to that, that's brilliant.

Ger Gilroy interview with Martin O'Neill 3rd June 2017

Here is the bit in question word for word.

Ger Gilroy:

Yeah, except the thing about the national team is that....

A lot of the the.....

A lot of the language around it is dictated, by the TV punditry

And I don't know if the view is necessarily dictated the way it would have been when we were kids growing up, where there was.... like...

No access

No other analysis

No other media around it

It was like the two lads, said whatever they said

The public parroted that

Maybe, I think now people have much more access and they have their own information

And they can make their own mind up

But it's still...like, there is still a dominate viewpoint at times.

Is....the viewpoint that comes across on the TV punditry

And, with the national team everybody feels a sense of ownership about it

Martin O'Neill:

Eh sorry

I am not following you

Give me that again

Ger Gilroy:

Are you worried that sometimes the analysis around team is a bit too negative?

Martin O'Neill:

You could of said that in the first place

That took you 15 minutes

Ger Gilroy:
    (Interrupting quickly)

I wanted to explain it properly

Martin O'Neill:

Well, it is easier if you just speak simply

You know, it helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I love Martin o Neill a lot after that!
    Ger gilroys ramblings are actually worse than I thought.
    Jesus o neill doesn't suffer fools at all, he's pretty brutal. Or maybe he just didn't like Ger.

• Advertisement

Gary Breen still doesn't get the irony of that "Team Of Gary Breens" song. I mean does Alanis Morissette have to be singing it for him to get the message.

Great stuff with Waddle and Pearse. Never had much time for Pearse before this, but very impressed with the guy after hearing his story tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

jam83 wrote: »
    I love Martin o Neill a lot after that!
    Ger gilroys ramblings are actually worse than I thought.
    Jesus o neill doesn't suffer fools at all, he's pretty brutal. Or maybe he just didn't like Ger.

I don't know. He does go on a lot at times, but it seems like in that question he made an interesting point, O' Neill didn't understand the question, and he dumbed it down for him.

Sometimes it's nice to hear questions that go beyond 'Is it too negative?'.

elefant wrote: »
    I don't know. He does go on a lot at times, but it seems like in that question he made an interesting point, O' Neill didn't understand the question, and he dumbed it down for him.

Sometimes it's nice to hear questions that go beyond 'Is it too negative?'.

O'Neill did not understand the question, because there was no question!
    Just a monologue of incoherent thought.
    It is something Gilroy does regularly, and he regularly has to rephrase 'the question'.

I think sometimes, it is nice to hear a clear concise question.

When Gilroy has grasped how to ask those, then maybe he can move on to more nuanced stuff?

Instead of getting himself trapped in his own waffle.

When Gilroy has grasped how to ask those, then maybe he can move on to more nuanced stuff?

They should have this posted on the wall of the production room where it is visible to everybody when they walk into the room.
    NEVER AGAIN!!!

Ger Gilroy:

Yeah, except the thing about the national team is that....
    A lot of the the.....
    A lot of the language around it is dictated, by the TV punditry
    And I don't know if the view is necessarily dictated the way it would have been when we were kids growing up, where there was.... like...
    No access
    No other analysis
    No other media around it
    It was like the two lads, said whatever they said
    The public parroted that
    Maybe, I think now people have much more access and they have their own information
    And they can make their own mind up
    But it's still...like, there is still a dominate viewpoint at times.
    Is....the viewpoint that comes across on the TV punditry
    And, with the national team everybody feels a sense of ownership about it

But alas Ger is the king pin and nobody is able to tell him what to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭sonic85

Only got to listen to yesterday's show earlier. When Stuart Pearce was telling the story about Clough and said puff I think I actually heard Joes jaw hit the floor. You could tell he was disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

sonic85 wrote: »
    Only got to listen to yesterday's show earlier. When Stuart Pearce was telling the story about Clough and said puff I think I actually heard Joes jaw hit the floor. You could tell he was disgusted.

Really and truly, fuk Joe and his PCness. We can't say anything these days without getting in trouble and very often it seems to be a third party, and not the insulted person, that takes offence. I've got to hand it to Joe though. He offers a unique prism through which we can observe how batsh1t crazy the world has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Pearce was really up for the show, unfortunately I taught Joe put a damper on it, stopped Pearce in his tracks a couple of times.Ended up a fairly straight forward interview, having said that I really enjoyed it. Pearse was open to go down any road, but Joe was petrified at what he might say, a bit of a lost opportunity. Must admit I did laugh at the puff joke as did the audience, but in fairness to Joe he did stick to his principles, it would half have been easier to let the joke go. Personally I didn't think it was homophobic , obviously Joe did, thus insinuating that Pearse was homophobic. That's the danger in being overly pc, u can end up down a rabbit hole.
    As for Waddle, I was a big fan of him as a player but taught he was a bit flat, his stories were fairly bland. Would have liked to have heard more on the football side.

Great stuff with Waddle and Pearse. Never had much time for Pearse before this, but very impressed with the guy after hearing his story tonight.

Pearse is on Talksport all the time. He seems like an honest genuine sort of fella.
    What I noticed is he is always encouraging to callers to the radio show, and never does the usual 'Shouty, shouty' talksport thing.

But like Pearce said, it may not have been politically correct, but it was FACTUALLY correct. And this is one of the things that really annoys me about Kevin Kil-Bland. When Joe was on one of his social justice tirades, Kilbland said that he had "never heard any homophobic or 'you're gay' type remark ever in a football dressing room". I simply just DID NOT believe him.

But it was funny when he said that poof remark, not for the comment itself, but for Joe's "The world has let me down again" reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

But like Pearce said, it may not have been politically correct, but it was FACTUALLY correct. And this is one of the things that really annoys me about Kevin Kil-Bland. When Joe was on one of his social justice tirades, Kilbland said that he had "never heard any homophobic or 'you're gay' type remark ever in a football dressing room". I simply just DID NOT believe him.

But it was funny when he said that poof remark, not for the comment itself, but for Joe's "The world has let me down again" reaction.

Totally agree. Being involved in several sports, homophobic comments are made all the time in the dressing room but nobody takes it that seriously or actually believes that the person holds those views. If they really did, they would be alienating themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

monstermag wrote: »
    As for Waddle, I was a big fan of him as a player but taught he was a bit flat, his stories were fairly bland. Would have liked to have heard more on the football side.

Joe and Kevin did an interview with Waddle around 3 months ago and it was very interesting, it is pretty much Waddle doing 90% of the talking and going through his whole career, he came across very well in it

siblers wrote: »
    it is pretty much Waddle doing 90% of the talking and going through his whole career, he came across very well in it

I thought Waddle was very good and very funny, but people just didn't seem to get his jokes or be willing to give him the "laugh at every word he says" goodwill that they give to the rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

siblers wrote: »
    Joe and Kevin did an interview with Waddle around 3 months ago and it was very interesting, it is pretty much Waddle doing 90% of the talking and going through his whole career, he came across very well in it

I must see if I can track that down. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

monstermag wrote: »
    I must see if I can track that down. Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/the-chris-waddle-interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I hate Kevin Kilbane on OTB. He seems like a lovely, lovely person but his opinions are so weak, hates controversy and doesn't offer anything different than any other guest. And what's worse is that he is brought in as a full time member of the panel! It's crazy. He has little or no knowledge on any other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Kevin is a big GAA fan especially Mayo football. He also did a documentary about Johnny Kilbane who was a boxer and a relation of Kevin.

http://www.newstalk.com/the-story-of-johnny-kilbane

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I hate Kevin Kilbane on OTB. He seems like a lovely, lovely person but his opinions are so weak, hates controversy and doesn't offer anything different than any other guest. And what's worse is that he is brought in as a full time member of the panel! It's crazy. He has little or no knowledge on any other sports.

He's a nice man but very bland and diplomatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Kevin is a big GAA fan especially Mayo football. He also did a documentary about Johnny Kilbane who was a boxer and a relation of Kevin.

Johnny who? That means nothing to almost everyone.
    He's as much a gaa fan as I am an American football fan, meaning I can rattle off a few names but I really can't analyse a game. Kilbane offers absolutely nothing to gaa analysis, and I mean nothing. No insight. Nothing.
    Actually that's exactly how he is for a lot of soccer chat too. He should be shown the door.

He used to really annoy me as well, for the reason's you said.

But occasionally he does give more meaty opinions when he is wound up and speaks of the cuff.

I think Kilbane will be better alongside a mouthy type of panelist like Roddy Collins.

Kilbane's level of the 'uncontroversial nice guy' are endearing at times, but when he is on in conjunction with Joe Molloy sometimes it can be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

You don't even get any craic from him either. It's funny that lots's of people here noticed Joe's reaction to Pearce's puff story. He made such a deal about it, trying to calm Pearce down. Was far too sensitive about it, and Pearce actually seemed like quite a good guest! That been said, I do like Joe. Does anyone miss Wooly? I must say I do.

You don't even get any craic from him either. It's funny that lots's of people here noticed Joe's reaction to Pearce's puff story. He made such a deal about it, trying to calm Pearce down. Was far too sensitive about it, and Pearce actually seemed like quite a good guest! That been said, I do like Joe. Does anyone miss Wooly? I must say I do.

I listen to Wooly's GAA podcasts the 'GAA hour'.

He has improved at the journalism side of things and still has very passionate opinions.

Not afraid to act the eejit and wind fellas up the odd time.

There needs to be at least one mouth who annoys the other fellas on a panel.

Newstalk is going all 'Jehovah Witnessey' otherwise.

I heard that one it wasn't too bad in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement