Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kenny B wrote: »
    Joe Molloy, Jesus, Has ever a sports presenter had such a lack of sports history knowledge, He'd never even heard of Bod Tisdall, (I think during an interview with Ronnie Delaney, Ronnie mentioned him to the vacuous Joe)

Do you mean Bob Tisdall? ;)
    To be fair, he's hardly a household name, I had to look him up.

I liked the old crew as well as but I don't think there's much between them and a group one way or another. People give out a lot about current group moralising, like your comment on the kids (which I don't remember specifically from that interview), but Ken Early can, and does moralise with the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I know it doesn't belong in the Off the Ball thread but I was listening to the GAA section on Ivan Yeats earlier.

He had Trevor Mortimor on giving his verdicts on this weekends football. I have never heard a worse pundit in my life. The man could hardly speak, let alone get across any meaningful thoughts on the games.

Surely the Newstalk sports team could come up with somebody better than that.

Most of the regular shows are wasted with nonsense chatter and the same point being repeated over and over and incessant injokes,

The fooking Triathlon, over & over & over, back slapping,

Previously I would have listened regularly now it's only when working late now & again.

Ger Gilroy sounds like a Fox News contributer nowadays - his opinion is always right and has to get angry to prove it, he jumped the shark with the Armstrong interview, wasting his time with his 'what about the kiddies' nonsense questions, when there was the chance to have a good chat, all his Irish media mates said it was radio gold and since then his angry opinion has become part of the show.

Joe Molloy, Jesus, Has ever a sports presenter had such a lack of sports history knowledge, He'd never even heard of Bod Tisdall, (I think during an interview with Ronnie Delaney, Ronnie mentioned him to the vacuous Joe)

All the rest are grand but I can't see them ever having the all round quality of the Old Crew,

It's a small niche brand and will stay that way.

Who pissed in your cornflakes? It's hardly that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Ger Gilroy sounds like a Fox News contributer nowadays - his opinion is always right and has to get angry to prove it

As the Managing Director of Off The Ball, the first thing that Gilroy should do is fire himself from the morning show. His personality is toxic and his lecturing on his perceived social justice issues - remember the confederate flag! I want to start the morning with something a bit cheery and humourous, not his snide sarcasm.

Ideally I would prefer Joe or Nathan in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

There's a reason why Gilroy was sacked from the breakfast show a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    There's a reason why Gilroy was sacked from the breakfast show a few years ago.

Maybe it's because they realized his strength is in the sports side of things.
    Like him or loathe him, he's a big part of OTB success.
    Original founder of show, stepped in when old crew disappeared over night, has introduced OTB am, has introduced several podcast type features, roadshows have to be seen as a success given the number they have.
    He's not my favorite presenter but he is far from terrible at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Maybe it's because they realized his strength is in the sports side of things.
    Like him or loathe him, he's a big part of OTB success.
    Original founder of show, stepped in when old crew disappeared over night, has introduced OTB am, has introduced several podcast type features, roadshows have to be seen as a success given the number they have.
    He's not my favorite presenter but he is far from terrible at the same time.
    And despite all that he's still a complete wanker.

And despite all that he's still a complete wanker.

Hard to argue with that type of insightful analysis from an anonymous internet contributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

As I like to say every 100 pages or so.. if you didnt have OTB you’d be depending on RTÉ and the Marty Squad for national radio coverage of sport in Ireland.

That should be a sobering thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Dots1982 wrote: »
    As I like to say every 100 pages or so.. if you didnt have OTB you’d be depending on RTÉ and the Marty Squad for national radio coverage of sport in Ireland.

And if you didn't have Gilroy starting OTB with Ken, Second Captains wouldn't have come about.

But, yeah, The Marty Squad. Holy jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dots1982 wrote: »

I think it's just that lost potential that annoys people.

I love sports, but would rarely tune into or even podcast off the ball anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Ahwell

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I think it's just that lost potential that annoys people.

OK, but how many people does it actually annoy. The numbers of listeners hasn't changed. It is still by far the most listened to radio show in that time slot. It is still the only radio show on an independent station that beats RTE in the ratings in any time slot. It is still a phenomenally successful radio show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Hard to argue with that type of insightful analysis from an anonymous internet contributor.
    Pot, kettle.

The only place to hear OTB 24Hr radio is on the Go Loud App.
    The App is owned by comunicorp. All Communicorp irish stations are accessible on it.

Seems to be nothing more than a cynical ploy to drive users to the app. Surprised the OTB guys went a long with it. Am particularly annoyed by Ger Gilroys comment that the listeners have been looking for more content and they've launched OTB 24 Hr radio to give them just that.

It's a podcast/streaming interface, nothing more.

Just heard an ad for that app on NT.

Congratulations to whoever made it on managing to combine such an high number of irritating sounds in a short few seconds of radio airtime.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just heard an ad for that app on NT.

Congratulations to whoever made it on managing to combine such an high number of irritating sounds in a short few seconds of radio airtime.

Haven't heard NT (particularly OTB) presenters talking about the 24 hr radio in last few days. Maybe I've just missed it. Seems like something they were told to push but their heart isn't in it as they know it's a charade.

Also, Kieran Donaghy phone line this morning made me turn off OTB am. I've always felt NT's sound engineering is poor. Across shows, it just seems worse than what should be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Everyone got their tickets for the road trip to Abu Dhabi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

redbuck wrote: »

The boom is back & to me it reads like an OTB jolly but they need the listeners to pay for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They're doing a road show in Abu Dhabi?

They're doing a road show in Abu Dhabi?

https://www.offtheball.com/events/off-ball-open-863958

It's scarcely believable, but appears to be true.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    https://www.offtheball.com/events/off-ball-open-863958

It's scarcely believable, but appears to be true.

I'm shocked at them travelling to Abu Dhabi with its alleged history of human rights violations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm shocked at them travelling to Abu Dhabi with its alleged history of human rights violations.

Like a lot of SJWs, I suspect the principles go out the window when an all expense paid week of golf and a 5star resort are on offer.....

They’ve been advertising this for weeks. I barely listen anymore and I’ve heard the ads a few times.

Like a lot of SJWs, I suspect the principles go out the window when an all expense paid week of golf and a 5star resort are on offer.....

They’ve been advertising this for weeks. I barely listen anymore and I’ve heard the ads a few times.

Only heard it yesterday for the first time during Ivan's show.

I don't know if they've mentioned it on air or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Like a lot of SJWs, I suspect the principles go out the window when an all expense paid week of golf and a 5star resort are on offer..... They’ve been advertising this for weeks. I barely listen anymore and I’ve heard the ads a few times.

My god they are such a bunch of f**king hypocrites. Let's see if Gilroy wears his rainbow bootlaces over there.

My god they are such a bunch of f**king hypocrites. Let's see if Gilroy wears his rainbow bootlaces over there.

Who?

The OTB team, or the posters who decry them being SJW and then post how they give darts players a hard time and shouldn't be going to the UAE?

I find it hard to keep up with the direction of the outrage here.

Who?

The OTB team, or the posters who decry them being SJW and then post how they give darts players a hard time and shouldn't be going to the UAE?

I find it hard to keep up with the direction of the outrage here.

You’ve booked your ticket so? ;)

You’ve booked your ticket so? ;)

Keep up redbuck. I'm not a fan of the roadshows. (also, I expect staff will travel for free ;);) )

Keep up redbuck. I'm not a fan of the roadshows. (also, I expect staff will travel for free ;);) )

I know, just joking.

To be fair it’s definitely double standards from their usual stance. We had Joe go off on a tangent about the Brazilian president during the chat with Tim Vickery this evening and I’ve heard Ger and Joe in the past talk about the treatment of workers on the stadiums for the Qatar World Cup.

It just seems like double standards when you take in to consideration the fact that the golf course they’re going to play on in Abu Dhabi was more than likely constructed using the same labourers that are working on the Qatar stadiums and that’s before the wider scale human rights violations in the United Arab Emirates is even taken in to account.

I expected better from Joe Molloy.

Anyone hear bit of Tommy Walshe and Sean Og tonight?

I thought the passage from Henry Shefflins book where he said Kilkenny always felt that 'Cork always had too much of a welcome for themselves' was a great way of saying they thought they were big shots. And Cork calling Kilkenny lads 'Stepford wives' showed they were no fans of them either.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in either dressing room in 03 or 06. Would have been a lot more colourful than an interview on the radio 15 years later.

I know, just joking.

To be fair it’s definitely double standards from their usual stance. We had Joe go off on a tangent about the Brazilian president during the chat with Tim Vickery this evening and I’ve heard Ger and Joe in the past talk about the treatment of workers on the stadiums for the Qatar World Cup.

It just seems like double standards when you take in to consideration the fact that the golf course they’re going to play on in Abu Dhabi was more than likely constructed using the same labourers that are working on the Qatar stadiums and that’s before the wider scale human rights violations in the United Arab Emirates is even taken in to account.

I expected better from Joe Molloy.

Bolsanaro is pretty topical at the moment and the way he hijacked the win was noteworthy of being discussed. Same as the Trump/Rapinoe spat over the last couple weeks.

Ewan McKenna didn't beat around the bush on it.

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1148240718575656966

I don't think the OTB are practising double standards as I don't see them having an agenda the way some seem to see them. They comment on topical stories as they are in the news in pretty much the same way that most of those in the media comment on them as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Only heard it yesterday for the first time during Ivan's show.

I don't know if they've mentioned it on air or not.

It's been advertised regularly over the last month. Looks like it's going to be a regular thing. I think a few celebrities are tagging alongl, kieran Donaghy been one of them.
    They better go easy on the old sauce or they'll be on an early plane home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement