Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Really? You've never said anything like that before.......

Tongue in cheek haha. No offence meant, I was just joking, I know you're not in connected to Communicorp other than being a loyal listener like myself :)

Gotta love those make-believe what if arguments. Hard to disagree with them, given they're make belief.

I wouldn't agree its make belief.

I just think the OTB lads should practice what they preach, they can't complain about human rights issues in the UAE and then willingly go there on their own junket.

I hate double standards.

Personally what offends me the most about the whole thing is the environmental issues surrounding the UAE.

Take in to account all the harm that's being caused to the environment maintaining and watering the golf courses the lads will be playing on.

Think about the carbon footprint lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

have they complained about the UAE before?

Qater is a different country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

CatFromHue wrote: »
    have they complained about the UAE before?Qater is a different country

Ah come on Cat. I know other posters like to portray me as some sort of right wing conspiracy crank here, but it is ridiculous that they should organise your junket in the UAE.

They were holding their noses when they went over to Russia, and took any opportunity to make sarcastic remarks about Putin himself and portraying them as backward for their treatment of homosexuals. And now they organise their junket in a country where:
    Homosexuality is illegal and a crime punishable with death penalty in the UAE

These, the same self righteous fu[kwits people who joined forces in their consolidated self-righteousness to signed a joint letter to get rid of Hook because of his perceived lack of morals. I'd say they will just bury their heads when the texts come in pointing this out to them, just like they did with the gambling issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Ah come on Cat. I know other posters like to portray me as some sort of right wing conspiracy crank here, but it is ridiculous that they should organise your junket in the UAE.

They were holding their noses when they went over to Russia, and took any opportunity to make sarcastic remarks about Putin himself and portraying them as backward for their treatment of homosexuals. And now they organise their junket in a country where:

These, the same self righteous fu[kwits people who joined forces in their consolidated self-righteousness to signed a joint letter to get rid of Hook because of his perceived lack of morals. I'd say they will just bury their heads when the texts come in pointing this out to them, just like they did with the gambling issue.

Don’t forget about the way women are treated in Middle Eastern countries. In my line of work there are very lucrative opportunities in these countries and even I, a complete anti-SJW, have taken an unconditional stance to never consider working in any of them. There’s my brand of virtuous protests but the OTB lads, despite all of their’s, can put it all aside to head off in to the sun. Enjoy it lads.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Love the way some people pretend to give a **** about human rights issues but also bitch and moan when OTB talk about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    He is connected in some way. That much is clear. He quells any potential fires that start on this thread. A classic PR tactic.
    doylefe wrote: »
    I got an infraction for saying as much.

I’m telling you this guy is protected from up on high by the prince of darkness.

Wrong. Again. As always.

Do ye really think anyone in NT or OTB could give half a f*ck about a handful of anonymous empty vessels online?

As I've said, I can't stand complaining for the sake of it with never a comment about enjoying the show, or an article, or a guest or whatever or anything to provoke interesting discussion.
    It's just negativity after negativity from the same few.

When I ask challenge that, the response is that I must work for OTB. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think it was Thursday? on OTB flicked it on in the car (that is where I chance it)
    I was pleasantly surprised it was good for the the 20 or so minutes I had it on. There was GAA discussion and a bit about LOI /Bohs.
    I am not sure who was presenting but Ger Gilroy and Joe Molloy were not on.

I am starting to think there should be a 'breakaway OTB' leaving Gilroy/Molloy/Sheehan to thier own devices!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    You aren’t fooling anyone. It’s a largely costless PR exercise with little downside on one of Ireland’s most popular websites. It’s very much worth having a dissenting voice to counteract the constant negativity on here. And yes, I’m well aware I account for much of that negativity.

Its killed the entire thread because no one can comment on anything positive or negative without some type of retort.

And not just this thread theres another newstalk thread that's a no go zone almost.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

This show keeps popping up on my YouTube feed . The presenters are nauseatingly smug particularly in relation to rugby and Alan Quinlans takes are myopic, biased and hilariously left leaning for a fella who once missed a lions tour for gouging a fellow Irish players eyes.

Some posts have been deleted, some posters have been infracted, and there has been one ban.

I have retained one post by the user TELL ME HOW because he deserves a right of reply, it is not to be quoted. This thread is not about other boards' users or your suspicions about their supposed identities, which I am convinced is unfounded anyway.

Topic currently being forwarded to other mods. Will report back, but remember that any discussion should be capable of hearing voices with both a positive as well as a critical outlook.

You don't get to abuse people just because you disagree with them - Mod.

(Any replies, PM me; this Forum is for Off The Ball discussion)

Excellent paper review today talking about the FAI.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Paul Rouse on about the history of golf was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

redbuck wrote: »
    Everyone got their tickets for the road trip to Abu Dhabi?

I can't get my head around this at all. Who's bright idea was it in the first place? Did anybody put their hand up and point out that Abu Dhabi may not be the wisest choice of destination given it's dubious human rights record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Got the start of it and then arrived Home. Will have to listen back.

Be an interesting guy to be sitting beside on a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

monstermag wrote: »
    I can't get my head around this at all. Who's bright idea was it in the first place? Did anybody put their hand up and point out that going to Abu Dhabi may not be the wisest choice of destination given it's dubious human rights record.

What a strange idea to invite listeners, but only the ones with the time and money to fly 7,500 miles to the Persian Gulf to talk about golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What a strange idea to invite listeners, but only the ones with the time and money to fly 7,500 miles to the Persian Gulf to talk about golf.

Around a year into the new regime the (relatively) modest inaugural Off The Ball Golf Masters (2014) was announced:

2drz60i.jpg
    2nrkcae.jpg
    https://www.newstalk.com/sport/the-top-5-golf-courses-704970

Wombatman wrote: »
    Heard them on about this last night....

Newstalk Off the Ball Masters Golf Event

Friday 2nd to Monday 5th May 2014

October VENUE: PGA Catalunya Golf Course Girona Spain

(Venue for 2009 Spanish Open and European PGA Tour qualifying school 2013)

Join us this the first Newstalk Golf Masters . Our venue is without doubt the premier golf resort in Europe voted recently as the No 1 golf course (stadium Course) in Spain by Top100golfcourses.co.uk and # 3 in Continental Europe.

Competition will be over the 2 days and on the Saturday night the Off The Ball Newstalk 106 team will broadcast live. We will have plenty of entertainment as some of Ireland's best sports personalities will be in attendance - John Giles, Jason McAteer , Keith Wood and Eddie OSullivan to name but a few. Read on below for the main details but we are expecting a huge demand for this trip. We cater for golfers of all standards and non golfers too.

http://www.theflyinggolfer.com/index.php/travel/item/120-celebrity-off-the-ball-golf-event

Boomier times, but hard to believe this won't end up being shelved as quietly - unless Golf Weekly attracts some really high rollers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I can't get my head around this at all. Who's bright idea was it in the first place? Did anybody put their hand up and point out that Abu Dhabi may not be the wisest choice of destination given it's dubious human rights record.

Never underestimate the power of a free junket.

• Advertisement

Maybe Denis O'Brien will bring a few clients along on the trip with the boys.

Enjoyed the piece on the cricket last night even though I don't enjoy cricket whatsoever, Joe knew his stuff and seemed knowledgeable on cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I'm thinking maybe Cassidy Travel were having trouble moving a few golf holidays and did a symbiotic deal with Off The Ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Did Cliona Foley really just read out a child's full name and address on national radio?

Did Cliona Foley really just read out a child's full name and address on national radio?

She did I think :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Was listening to the Sunday show driving back from Dublin is Joe Molloy always so poor? He was giving out cricket updates without saying how many wickets were down. He found it amazing the Federer was able to come back from 1 set down twice. Had Kerry beating Cork in the hurling whilst I think kilkenny were beating Mayo. It just seemed to be mistake after mistake regardless of the sport he was covering. Maybe he just had a worse than normal day, seemed totally distracted He only seems to come to life when talking about golf, Rory this Rory that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Any link to this?

She read it out at a road show last week which wasn't broadcast live.
    It was played out last night.

Hardly too serious is it? Are children's addresses not read out pretty frequently when winners of competitions are announced or whatever?

I remember the Den doing a happy birthday thing. That was Name, address and DOB. Was 20 years ago in fairness.

Hardly too serious is it? Are children's addresses not read out pretty frequently when winners of competitions are announced or whatever?

No they definitely are not. It's definitely a breach of data protection in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She read it out at a road show last week which wasn't broadcast live.
    It was played out last night.

I remember the Den doing a happy birthday thing. That was Name, address and DOB. Was 20 years ago in fairness.

It’s a very serious breach, and offering a defence that The Den was doing 20 years ago is laughable. Believe it or not, things have changed since then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Any link to this?
    I don't, but it was 5 or 10 minutes from the end of the show.
    redbuck wrote: »
    No they definitely are not. It's definitely a breach of data protection in my opinion.

From listening to that short clip, I was able to figure out the child's full name, exact address, age, and what sports team they played for. I certainly wouldn't fancy my child's details been broadcast across the nation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement