Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d consider my own burps as a more reputable source for Star Wars news than Cosmic Book News, which publishes utter horse**** with impressively shameless consistency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm still trying to picture the boardroom meeting, where this mythical failing test screen - from noted Hitmaker JJ Abrams no less - causes fretful executives to speed dial George Lucas. Not Joss Whedon, not Ron Howard, christ not even John Moore. no.

NO.

Help us George Lucas, you are only hope.

From the WOKE

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

pixelburp wrote: »
    So as someone who doesn't want to waste time on a video whose headline is blatant clickbait & hyperbolic, what are these leaks going around, and how valid are they? Especially given Trevorrow has already apparently shot down "his" version of the script, and the complete absence of test screenings to actually leak details...

There's one particular leak on Reddit that has been around since the 30th of August, well over a month and a half before the final trailer was released, that seems very credible based on what the trailer and the subsequent TV spots have shown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Relikk wrote: »
    There's one particular leak on Reddit that has been around since the 30th of August, well over a month and a half before the final trailer was released, that seems very credible based on what the trailer and the subsequent TV spots have shown.

If you say so because everything posted so far reads like utter horsesh*t, especially this idea George Lucas did reshoots (but then 60% were dropped??Lol). These trailers have not exactly contained hard to fathom twists mind you, it'd have been easy to guess its content, easier still to pepper with clickbait nonsense.

pixelburp wrote: »
    If you say so because everything posted so far reads like utter horsesh*t, especially this idea George Lucas did reshoots (but then 60% were dropped??Lol).

Apparently he was consulted during development and filming. But yeah, that's about it. The rest, as we all know, is utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I don't know which is more depressing, that people have actually spent time and money writing this garbage or the people that believe it.

Disney won't let Lucas near this franchise in an official capacity. They paid six billion to take it from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I get a kick out of YTers referring to sites such as CBN and WGTC as reputable during the preamble of their meandering waffling that lasts 20 minutes.

That being said, there is an accurate leak of the plot out there increasingly proved true by the trailers. It does sound bad, caught between what Johnson established and JJ trying to bring some sort of satisfaction to long time fans.

Given the fact this trilogy was written minus any kind of story Bible, effectively letting both writers do what they wanted (which under other circumstances is a fairly honourable act), it's no wonder there's going to be some severe last minute mangling going on - coupled with the obvious nostalgic damage control being taken (Lando! The Emperor!).

There's something commendable about setting out a relatively ad hoc blockbuster, but maybe this wasn't the trilogy to do it in. At the very least Disney should have pinned down Abrams after Episode 7 to thrash out the Mystery Boxes for Johnson to close off.

So then, can we expect the masses of the internet to start demanding to Release the Lucas Cut? :D

Disney wanted it both ways; they wanted this to be a prestige trilogy by initially hiring one time directors, but also wanted all the $$$$.

I'd commend them if they actually thought about the what they were doing, and hire people passionate about the subject like Marvel got the Russos.

The fact they have Feige now just compounds that fact. They were simply a little bit too arrogant and it's cost them rightfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Some interesting comments coming from John Boyega. The Disney press house need to get a lid on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Some interesting comments coming from John Boyega. The Disney press house need to get a lid on it.

He's some gob****e. First, bring the script outside of the studio and leaving the script under his bed, you would think they would be extra vigilant with the chap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Calhoun wrote: »

Oh yea?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hardly ground breaking stuff, more, this will be a better movie because we are all together again. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Disney didn't approve it, it hardly says anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Boyega isn't really saying anything that he and Ridley didn't say when TLJ came out. They both disliked that their characters were separated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I predict it will be a rehashed Return Of The Jedi. Palpatine has returned and has Kylo at his side and the rebels fighting to save the last of their cause. The ever predictable hero will be Rey and she will duel Kylo in an attempt to turn him with Obi Wan's/Yoda's/Anakin's guidance. Just as Rey is about to die, Kylo turns and kills Palpatine's clone. It might even be really adventurous and swap the roles of Rey and Kylo :o

Yeah, not seeing much to call controversial really; it's worth remembering that at this point, every interview is going to be a congratulatory puff piece, and Boyega's comments simply read as lamenting being unable to work more with his co-stars than he did.

I swear it's like folk are on High Alert for something, anything, to call controversial or interpret as cracks in the facade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Elemonator wrote: »
    I predict it will be a rehashed Return Of The Jedi. Palpatine has returned and has Kylo at his side and the rebels fighting to save the last of their cause. The ever predictable hero will be Rey and she will duel Kylo in an attempt to turn him with Obi Wan's/Yoda's/Anakin's guidance. Just as Rey is about to die, Kylo turns and kills Palpatine's clone. It might even be really adventurous and swap the roles of Rey and Kylo :o

It's JJ Abrams. What did you expect? He's made a career of rehashing the films he grew up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    It's JJ Abrams. What did you expect? He's made a career of rehashing the films he grew up with.

Emperor ✔
    Thrones Room ✔
    Jedi vs Sith in Throne Room in front of Emperor ✔
    Bad Sith turning good, come on, we know its happening, its JJ ✔
    Millenium Falcon being piloted by Lando ✔
    Millenium Falcon leading a fleet into a space battle in 3rd act ✔
    Endor or lookalike forest moon ✔
    Death Star ✔
    Speed bike chase (but in the desert this time) ✔
    Emperor has probably set a trap again with an entire legion of his best troops hiding somewhere (no ewoks tho)

Does that sound like Return of the Jedi? Nah....its totally orginal.

What I think would make this really stand apart from Return of the Jedi would be to have some sort of chase through the super structure of the death star (or remains of the death star), that be cool, like have the Millenium Falcon lose its radar dish as it gets so tight and the chasing Tie Fighters can't make the turns or narrow sections and crash, never seen that before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And if it's done well, i won't give two ****s that it's a rehash of an old story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    What I think would make this really stand apart from Return of the Jedi would be to have some sort of chase through the super structure of the death star (or remains of the death star), that be cool, like have the Millenium Falcon lose its radar dish as it gets so tight and the chasing Tie Fighters can't make the turns or narrow sections and crash, never seen that before.

I could be wrong but they have done this in both the TFA and TLJ, not the death star but the Falcon being so close that it scrapes something. Parking sensors on that thing must be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just hope they throw a bone to the 'shippers. Maybe Kylo and Rey having a kiss as he sacrifices himself to save her......the feels!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Kiith wrote: »
    And if it's done well, i won't give two ****s that it's a rehash of an old story.

I am just playing Devils advocate, as these so called fans gave out that TFA was a rehash and then TLJ comes along and its mostly original and unpredictable and ruins two years of fan theories and everyone looses their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

A lot of people gave out about TFA (me included) because it was a way too familiar rehash. It was basically a remake of ANH to restart a new trilogy rather than be moving forward from the get go. To be fair, it was an OK film but just far too familiar.

I like TLJ overall but big chunks of it didn't work for me and many others because there's a strong feeling that they didn't make sense, not because they were unpredictable or went against fan theories. In fact I would argue that the absolute best part of TLJ was it's most unpredictable scene in the Throne Room.

I prefer TLJ just because at least it's something new but I thought putting aside the rehash aspect of TFA, it's actually a much more even film. When TLJ was good it was great but I think Rian Johnson made some bad creative and narrative choices. Now on the other hand I don't trust JJ either not to deliver an insanely safe remake of ROTJ.

Dunno really. I think George Lucas was the right man for both the prequels and sequel trilogies IF he accepted help from a writing team to put a proper shape on his ideas and had someone else direct them. He has great vision, he's just a horrible writer/director. The universe of TFA and TLJ are flat and lifeless compared to the prequels even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A few things out in the media to do with Daisey Ridley being asked to check her "privilege" and then goes political can speaks on Trump while alluding to any that voted from him are braindead. I never understand why actors and musicians go all political when doing interviews during the promotion tours. Christ!!!

Didn't she say something about not being any more privileged than John Boyega?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Probably more excited to see him in this than anything else. He’s so brilliant

https://twitter.com/richardegrant/status/1202114990209032192?s=21

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1202158734899847169

A few things out in the media to do with Daisey Ridley being asked to check her "privilege" and then goes political can speaks on Trump while alluding to any that voted from him are braindead. I never understand why actors and musicians go all political when doing interviews during the promotion tours. Christ!!!

Meh.....just another celebrity/actor forgetting they're speaking into a microphone.

I find the Twatteratti who bang on about checking said person's privilege far more irritating.

Crikey €9.50 in the Savoy and €17.25 in the Odeon.

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    Crikey €9.50 in the Savoy and €17.25 in the Odeon.

What Odeon is that? Doubt my local Odeon would have the neck to charge that; not exactly a stellar experience.

Advertisement