Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    ‘There are people that are never going to ****in’ like it and there’s no other way around it. But I think people are going to feel like this was made with a lot of love and JJ worked really hard to tie up nine films. It’s impossible to make everyone happy.

Some of the **** people have said to me about Star Wars you wouldn’t believe. I have had people say to me, ‘I mean, it wasn’t a great film, was it?’ I’m like, that’s just bad manners. That’s ****in’ not nice.’

She’s so beautiful

https://twitter.com/starwarsnewsnet/status/1201884861117673472?s=21

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They are better than the prequels, not as good as the originals. None of the Star Wars movies were high brow thinking, they were just decent movies. These are not as good as the originals but by modern movie, Saturday movie standards, they are pretty good. My son likes them, he likes them as much as I liked the originals at his age, so I plan to go see this and hopefully enjoy it. The way some people rant on it is like your expecting an R rated deep, thought provoking piece. It simply was never going to be that, if your complaining about the ones already released, simply don't go to this.

That said, despite all the moaning, it will be a sell out and an enjoyable few hours in the cinema for me and the young fella.

Who the fvck writes the polls on boards?
    ‘Surprise hit’

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I’d love the doom n gloomers to rank their Star Wars films of the new crop.

Solo probably comes out on top :)

The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    Rogue One
    Solo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'd say Rogue One, Last Jedi, Force Awakens, Solo. Not even any question about Solo being bottom. The worst bits of Last Jedi were worse/annoyed me more than TFA, but the good/best bits were much better. So it gets ahead.

The reason I say Solo is easily the 'worst' Star Wars film (and I put it inverted commas for a reason) is that at least movies like Attack of the Clones bridge a gap between Ep1 and Ep3 and for better or worse, is a necessary part of the story that the prequel trilogy presents.

Solo is just kinda nothing. Just an unremarkable/unnecessary backstory that no-one really wanted, adds nothing to the character, nothing to the franchise, totally forgettable. The polar opposite of Rogue One, itself a not-strictly-needed backstory that more than justified its existence with some of the best action and visuals since Empire Strikes Back.

So to me that makes Solo the worst. Keeping in mind I said worst, not a terrible movie. It's fine. It's watchable. Just the weakest of all Star Wars movie because it just hangs out there way on its own, doesn't need to be seen, doesn't make any case for itself needing to be made.

• Advertisement

Never able to rank anything.
    Some days you feel like watching rogue one. Other days Force awakens.

With regard to the poll question, I chose 'surprise hit higher gross than The Last Jedi', though I don't think it would be a surprise? It's the last film of a franchise many have grown up with. Even if it looks shìte/ is reviewed as shìte/ people say its shìte, millions will watch it just to close this chapter of Star Wars/ their lives, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Homelander wrote: »
    I'd say Rogue One, Last Jedi, Force Awakens, Solo. Not even any question about Solo being bottom. The worst bits of Last Jedi were worse/annoyed me more than TFA, but the good/best bits were much better. So it gets ahead.

The reason I say Solo is easily the 'worst' Star Wars film (and I put it inverted commas for a reason) is that at least movies like Attack of the Clones bridge a gap between Ep1 and Ep3 and for better or worse, is a necessary part of the story that the prequel trilogy presents.

Solo is just kinda nothing. Just an unremarkable/unnecessary backstory that no-one really wanted, adds nothing to the character, nothing to the franchise, totally forgettable. The polar opposite of Rogue One, itself a not-strictly-needed backstory that more than justified its existence with some of the best action and visuals since Empire Strikes Back.

So to me that makes Solo the worst. Keeping in mind I said worst, not a terrible movie. It's fine. It's watchable. Just the weakest of all Star Wars movie because it just hangs out there way on its own, doesn't need to be seen, doesn't make any case for itself needing to be made.

'Solo' will end up (if it hasn't already) being the bastard son of Star Wars. It was a terrible idea, badly conceived, produced awfully and only managed to end up appallingly mediocre due to the fine skills of Ron Howard who managed to perform an heroic rescue mission on this fool's errand.

It's not a good film, not by a long shot. It's the very definition of meh.

But, even at that, if I absolutely HAD to sit through either 'Solo', 'The Force Awakens' or 'The Last Jedi' again, then Howard's film will win that competition easily. But, frankly, I couldn't care less if all three movies got erased from existence.

You really hate Star Wars tony :) I don’t know why you bother :)

**youll really be looking forward to this then:)

J Mysterio wrote: »
    With regard to the poll question, I chose 'surprise hit higher gross than The Last Jedi', though I don't think it would be a surprise? It's the last film of a franchise many have grown up with. Even if it looks sh/ is reviewed as sh/ people say its sh, millions will watch it just to close this chapter of Star Wars/ their lives, and move on.

This is what will happen for a lot of folk. They'll end up going just out of curiosity to see how this shambles gets done.

• Advertisement

You really hate Star Wars tony :) I don’t know why you bother :)

**youll really be looking forward to this then:)

https://twitter.com/jordanmaison/status/1201914268783980545?s=21

I don't like Diswars or the way that it's been handled by the mouse. There is a large difference that you'd do well to understand.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't like Diswars or the way that it's been handled by the mouse. There is a large difference that you'd do well to understand.

Diswars. Took me a minute :)

Starney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Diswars. Took me a minute :)
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Starney
    Darth Mickey. Jabba the Mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Red5

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    'Solo' will end up (if it hasn't already) being the bastard son of Star Wars. It was a terrible idea, badly conceived, produced awfully and only managed to end up appallingly mediocre due to the fine skills of Ron Howard who managed to perform an heroic rescue mission on this fool's errand.

It's not a good film, not by a long shot. It's the very definition of meh.

But, even at that, if I absolutely HAD to sit through either 'Solo', 'The Force Awakens' or 'The Last Jedi' again, then Howard's film will win that competition easily. But, frankly, I couldn't care less if all three movies got erased from existence.

Jaysus do you get any joy from life?
    Everything you write in every thread I read is pure misery.
    I really can't understand when a person takes no joy from something yet they can't stop telling everybody why it's terrible.

You come across as a very sad, lonely and miserable person. And I'm sure everybody in here is sick of reading your boring posts.

Don’t bother. I’ve tried. It’s pointless.

It is weird someone ravaging and ranting online about something they don’t like. For years.
    But that’s the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Red5 wrote: »
    I really can't understand when a person takes no joy from something yet they can't stop telling everybody why it's terrible.

You come across as a very sad, lonely and miserable person. And I'm sure everybody in here is sick of reading your boring posts.

You need to stop doing this, seriously. You're letting it bother you far too much.

Red5 wrote: »

Are you back again? :pac:

Back to whinge about someone on the internet criticising something?

Man up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Don’t think I need to explain this one. Be civil please.

Mod note: Don’t think I need to explain this one. Be civil please.

Vaguely aware of the rules and genuine question but isn’t posting the same thing in different variations on various threads over and over and over for years not troubling? Even a bit?

We heard him. Can’t he just move on?

• Advertisement

Vaguely aware of the rules and genuine question but isn’t posting the same thing in different variations on various threads over and over and over for years not troubling? Even a bit?

Put me on ignore David. I told you before.

These threads are for opinions and discussion. They aren't your own personal Star Wars knicker wetting corner. The same goes for your chum, who also cries when someone is mean to Disney.

Seriously, if you pair cannot take other people's opinions on some movies that don't coincide with your own, you should reconsider your time on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

What harm is he doing?

Some people are really social some people are really into hobbies.

Star Wars has an invested and passionate fanbase.

I really enjoyed the prequels and it did annoy a bit people moaning about them but I accepted that these people loved the originals and just did not like the prequels.

I would guess it is mainly Star Wars fans in this thread and we all have opinions and this is the place we can share them.

We have had 3 trilogies two of them I really enjoyed and this one I think is utter garbage.

Times change tastes change and I would guess there will be movies in the future that people who loved The Last Jedi will not like.

Episode 9 is very close to release and I would think many people are really disappointed it has not worked out how they had hoped.

I love Jaws have seen it many times I think its sequels are rubbish does that mean I am a Jaws hater or troll?

Apart from the identity politics and feminism in these movies what has disappointed me most?

I wanted to see how the Galaxy had evolved after the fall of the Empire.
    I wanted to see new ships new planets with populations not more deserts and forests.
    I wanted to see the New Republic and Jedi deal with a new threat not the Empire 2.0.

Do not misunderstand me the Sith and the Empire are the greatest bad guys in cinema history but they lost in Return of the Jedi.

The prequels gave us something very different the fall of the Republic the rise of the Empire and the Clone Wars.

Palpatine for me was the highlight of the prequels so you would think I would be happy to have him back?
    He got thrown down a massive shaft and exploded he is dead.

We do not have to disagree or agree to disagree for that matter we are all just here as fans those who are enjoying the new films fine those of us who are not fine we are only expressing opinions.

Who knows the next trilogy might unite us all in love or hate.:D

Star Wars is a big franchise I can see a big change coming.

So at the end of it all just let fans rant about their passion be that love or hate.:)

Put me on ignore David. I told you before.

These threads are for opinions and discussion. They aren't your own personal Star Wars knicker wetting corner. The same goes for your chum, who also cries when someone is mean to Disney.

Seriously, if you pair cannot take other people's opinions on some movies that don't coincide with your own, you should reconsider your time on the web.

As you can see I am in agreement with your opinion on these new films.
    The bit in bold however just giving friendly advice lets take it down a notch.:)

As you can see I am in agreement with your opinion on these new films.
    The bit in bold however just giving friendly advice lets take it down a notch.:)

In fairness CG, I'm not the one coming onto threads and attacking other people for their opinions on movies.

And believe me, what I posted there was mild. It wasn't the first thing that popped into my head. ;)

Both David and Red5 are free to put me on ignore and they've been told to do so a number of times before because my opinions on these movies clearly upset them.

In fairness CG, I'm not the one coming onto threads and attacking other people for their opinions on movies.

And believe me, what I posted there was mild. It wasn't the first thing that popped into my head. ;)

Both David and Red5 are free to put me on ignore and they've been told to do so a number of times before because my opinions on these movies clearly upset them.

I seen the mod has issued one of them a card.

The message being get back to discussing the film.:)

Agreed.

Still complaining about a film two years ago.

Also complaining about why they’re called manbabies.

Script writes itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm losing patience with this thread guys. I just permabanned a user and will hand out more if necessary. Read and abide by the charter or find somewhere else to post.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Still complaining about a film two years ago.

Also complaining about why they’re called manbabies.

Script writes itself.

Still a better script than TLJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

:D:D

Advertisement