Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Oh I thought you meant anyone enjoying it was simple minded.
    Was about to say it’s not like any of these films are high minded impenetrable art or anything.
    They really aren’t. Just the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it will be grand, shouldnt be any more divisive than the last season of Game of Thrones

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Kedpin-Shoklop-TLJ.jpg

looks like a willy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fryup wrote: »
    looks like a willy

Save yourself the Cinema ticket price and put it towards a GP visit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    fryup wrote: »
    looks like a willy
    Warwick Davis was in that thing it got the chop.:D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think there's an option or two you should have included.

Would say less than last jedi but more than a billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

It will take over a billion and that will not be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Who honestly cares what inordinate sums of money mega-corporations rake in?? Do you have a stake in Disney?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Do you have a stake in Disney?

why? is he a vampire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Last Jedi was great, Luke was a trolling badass

Actually those scenes in which he's hunting are some of my fav from the entire franchise

Im serious btw

No you are not

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Who honestly cares what inordinate sums of money mega-corporations rake in?? Do you have a stake in Disney?

We are in a forum discussing films these mega-corporations only make them to make money.

If this film is a surprise runaway hit Star Wars the fourth trilogy will be on the fast track.

If the movie in anyway flops the 2nd biggest movie franchise ever will be stuck in the pit lane for a while.

Anyway I was thinking of buying shares in Disney but I would only be able to afford a Mickey Mouse amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Very well.

py2006 wrote: »
    No you are not

;) That rubber swordfish looks so real.

Last-jedi-rey-luke-skywalker-fishing.jpg

Di3oSbGU0AEhuRK.jpg

People thought the hunting scene was cgi

It was all filmed down in cork. Huge big stunt rig and stuntman obviously

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The green milk alien was also apparently filmed on Skellig too; the puppeteers having to be zipped /locked into the suit before being helicoptered over to the island, given the limitations of shooting on the island. That must have been slightly terrifying.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The green milk alien was also apparently filmed on Skellig too; the puppeteers having to be zipped /locked into the suit before being helicoptered over to the island, given the limitations of shooting on the island. That must have been slightly terrifying.

The sea cow there was only one of them the others were added using digital trickery.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The Mandalorian could be after buying a bit of credit. Solo while far from perfect seems to have suffered from the last Jedi backlash.

My gut says it will fall short of the billion mark (due to lack of repeat viewings) and the film itself will be a turkey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never said they weren't? :confused: but the main prop that was part of the scene was a big puppet flown from the mainland. There was obviously loads of CGI background detail, porgs, birds, removing any other detail.

I never said they weren't? :confused: but the main prop that was part of the scene was a big puppet flown from the mainland. There was obviously loads of CGI background detail, porgs, birds, removing any other detail.

Wasn’t skellig. Dunmore head or somewhere in Waterford. The whole behind the scenes of the cows and the hunting scene is in the extras. They quite literally went up to down in sequence filming the west coast for all that stuff. Only thing shot on skellig was the saber throw and it was months before production even began given the restrictions on access to the site.

Art of the last Jedi book gives exact dates and again it’s in the extras on the blu ray if in doubt.

Ps if you still haven’t seen the director and the Jedi I can safely say you’ll enjoy it more than the film if you didn’t like the film.
    It’s brilliant.

• Advertisement

I was just pointing that out for people who think everything in they new films are practical.

The Porgs are real by the way they trained them especially for the film.:p;)

making-porgs-come-alive.jpg

There was a guy in the mando thread using a clip of Daisy Ridley saying she thought baby yoda was cuter than porgs, as his argument that she hated the last Jedi.

Work from there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I think back to how annoyed I was at the prequel trilogy and how they ballsed that up to the point that I had given up on them and unbelievably Revenge of the Sith turned out to be a fairly decent film and how pleased I was coming out of the cinema..... I think it's a real testament to how badly they **** the bed that this could turn out to be as good as Empire with an ending as good as breaking bad and I still would only just about be arsed to catch it in the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I was just pointing that out for people who think everything in they new films are practical.

The Porgs are real by the way they trained them especially for the film.:p;)

making-porgs-come-alive.jpg

As the industry’s saying goes, never work with children or porgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don't think Solo's flop was anything to do with Last Jedi, certainly not this 'backlash'. The majority of people liked Last Jedi, very few actively hated it in the overall scheme of things, critics very much liked it. A good chunk of fans were divided on it fair enough (me included), but the numbers that actually hated or go on the 'it ruined star wars' line are very much a minority.

Solo flopped because it was a story that didn't need telling and no-one asked for it to be told. There was no buzz about it even before Last Jedi out, even if anyone did try and infer it was some supposed backlash to blame...it just wasn't. Most of my friends liked The Last Jedi, none of them saw Solo in the cinema. Both my housemates have seen every Star Wars movie except Solo, and are currently watching Mandalorian. I guarantee you will find a lot of people who will express similar sentiment.

It was just a redundant, unnecessary, and unexciting movie that most people simply weren't interested in. I went to see it. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it was competent and just alright. Very forgettable. Would I recommend it to a Star Wars fan? Not really. It's easily the 'worst' Star Wars movie and adds pretty much 0 to the franchise.

I can only speak for my own experience....... the last Jedi didn't "Ruin Star Wars" for me as such..... credit where it's due parts of it I actually thought were excellent.... I just found the parts I didn't like so bad that it kind of made me fall out of love with the story..... that is why for the first time in my life I didn't go see a star wars film (Solo) in the cinema.

It's funny how we can only see the world through our own respective bubbles. I literally haven't talked to anyone that shares your view on the the last Jedi and I would say even judging by our own forum here I would say more people probably dislike it however I will concede that the cinema public as a whole gives it a more favorable score.

Calling Solo "easily" the worst SW film in my opinion is nothing short of lunacy but that is the great thing about movies. My favourite SW film is Rouge One and I'd say I'm easily in the minority

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Threads merged. Discussion is just covering the same topics that have been covered ad nauseam in this one and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

ziedth wrote: »
    The Mandalorian could be after buying a bit of credit. Solo while far from perfect seems to have suffered from the last Jedi backlash.

My gut says it will fall short of the billion mark (due to lack of repeat viewings) and the film itself will be a turkey.

Mando is a good series by all means, but IMO it's not great because of the contrast in writing between episodes. ep3 was the tits. ep4 was not the best. If they keep progressing the way they are going, the obi wan series should be something to look forward to.

I will, of course, be going to see it out of curiosity and Id say that would be the case for many others. I went to see the last jedi twice on purpose, A week a part, so that my first reaction/feelings for the first viewing would calm down so that on the second I would see things a fresh perspective. Nope. Still sh*te. I'll go to see it the once and that will be it. You are dead right with the repeat viewings

Advertisement