Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Falthyron wrote: »

Having said that, many of the reactions are declaring Rise of the Skywalker a 'fúck you' to Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi.

so basically Luke appears in the first scene and declares "ahah! I'm not really dead"; then the Emperor does the same and a 2-hour light sabre battle ensues?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I know its a joke but my heart will actually break if.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The more critical of the first reactions seem to be saying it tries to cram 3 films worth of plot into one film, as such the first half gets bogged down in mcguffinry. All of which tracks for a film that was left with far too much to do with the way TLJ left things, with the resistance down to maybe a dozen people. It leaves the film having to either establish a mcguffin to even the odds or spend half a film building the resistance into a plausible threat to the FO. Not to mention shoehorning Palpatine into the plot because killing Snoke left them with tweedle dumb and tweedle Dee in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm hearing bad things ... :(

mcguffin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Read: Too much going on.

I bet we could find similar tweets about Spiderman 3, which was a busy hot mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lots of other tweets reacting to it in the same way from those who saw it.

Same happened with the last movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Nal wrote: »
    Same happened with the last movie.

We'll get to make up our own minds within a couple of days anyway.

The good news is that apparently there is LGBTQI+++ representation in the film - thank god for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    The good news is that apparently there is LGBTQI+++ representation in the film - thank god for that!!

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

From my favourite film reviewer, Scott Mendelson from Forbes:

https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/1206832464770920448?s=20

Falthyron wrote: »
    Having said that, many of the reactions are declaring Rise of the Skywalker a 'fúck you' to Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi.

Thats my worst fear confirmed, they should not have pandered to that fan(atic)s that complained so much. Like it or not, they should have continued on from TLJ and not try to retcon elements of it and shoehorn in tonnes of fan service and palaptine, whose inclusion in my opinion ruins the original trilogy, specially Anakin\Vaders arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Thats my worst fear confirmed, they should not have pandered to that fan(atic)s that complained so much. Like it or not, they should have continued on from TLJ and not try to retcon elements of it and shoehorn in tonnes of fan service and palaptine, whose inclusion in my opinion ruins the original trilogy, specially Anakin\Vaders arc.

JJ has been dropping some backhanded compliments about TLJ in interviews so I wouldn't entirely call it pandering to fans. You can call TLJ a good film all you want but it did not set up anything for the third film, or leave any plot strands open to be resolved. All there was left was the good vs evil aspect as ever, and nothing for fans to chew on over the two years between films.

JJ has been dropping some backhanded compliments about TLJ in interviews...

That is pretty unprofessional from JJ in fairness considering he defended TLJ when it came out and Rian supposedly consulted with him about the script.

Anyways, if we learnt anything from this trilogy is that you need to plan, you can't have 3 directors all doing their own thing and no overall plan, how Disney ever thought that would work is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

They're not reacting to the to noise from fans, they're reacting to the numbers being down across the board whether it's merch, Solo bombing and Galaxy's Edge being a ghost town.

The reddit leaks seemed to have been spot on for the most part.

OK seeing very mixed reviews now, think it's time to step away till I see it next Sunday ... can't bloody wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

That is pretty unprofessional from JJ in fairness considering he defended TLJ when it came out and Rian supposedly consulted with him about the script.

I think Rian's biggest contribution when consulting with JJ on TFA script was asking him not to have Luke using the Force to hover some rocks when Rey arrives on Ach To. He said it wouldn't match up with what he planned to do. JJ defending TLJ would be towing the Disney line at the time I'm sure. Now they are preparing to defend more once the film is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

There’s a couple of really big character spoilers in the official Star Wars Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Awwww sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Anyways, if we learnt anything from this trilogy is that you need to plan, you can't have 3 directors all doing their own thing and no overall plan, how Disney ever thought that would work is beyond me.

Maybe it hit JJ that what Rian did to the ep8 storyline has put him a sh*te position, only seeing what mess he has to work with and also the f*ckwit putting JJ in a dire position to close out a SAGA that's been loved by many that spanned across 4 decades. But Im bias Im not a Rian :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

He seems to be getting heat in his comments for this hot take

https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/1206826229992583168

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God this is going to be a hot mess isn't it; die hard, over-invested fans going apesh*t on any reviewer that doesn't match their expectations or hopes. And if it IS a poor movie, the "debate" will collapse web servers :D :rolleyes:

pixelburp wrote: »
    God this is going to be a hot mess isn't it; die hard, over-invested fans going apesh*t on any reviewer that doesn't match their expectations or hopes. And if it IS a poor movie, the "debate" will collapse web servers :D :rolleyes:

He says the fans killed Star Wars. There is much food for debate there alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trigger happy internet Star Wars fans haven't exactly shown themselves capable of "debate".

And no, that's not having a go at ALL SW fans, before anyone gets antsy. Just the type that have consistently sh*t the bed, hounded actors off social media & so on.

Trigger happy internet Star Wars fans haven't exactly shown themselves capable of "debate".

No, I meant people could debate how they ruined it and maybe leave them out. :pac:

I love Star Wars, always have. I have 2 cousins that kept texting me when TJL came out about how bad it was, I hadn't seen it yet. Their vitriol was borderline craziness, its only a friggin film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens

What exactly is his reasoning for that statement? Surely the fans just want a good film? How can you blame the fans for Disney decisions on the new trilogy?

Anyway, starting to get wary of spoilers. Going to see this on Thursday and looking forward to it... despite everything.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What exactly is his reasoning for that statement? Surely the fans just want a good film? How can you blame the fans for Disney decisions on the new trilogy?

Anyway, starting to get wary of spoilers. Going to see this on Thursday and looking forward to it... despite everything.

Fair to say most movie goers just want a good film regardless, but it's hard to deny there aren't hardcore, vocal members on the internet who will shout and cry about any perceived slight or suggested imperfection about their favourite franchise. Including those who rant & rave about SJWs or whatever triggers them. Not exactly a new concept either; those fans who are emotionally invested in something to a degree where ANY criticism is seen as condemnation, or a slight upon their core selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Fair to say most movie goers just want a good film regardless, but it's hard to deny there aren't hardcore, vocal members on the internet who will shout and cry about any perceived slight or suggested imperfection about their favourite franchise. Including those who rant & rave about SJWs or whatever triggers them. Not exactly a new concept either; those fans who are emotionally invested in something to a degree where ANY criticism is seen as condemnation, or a slight upon their core selves.

Yes, fine, buy most sensible people ignore the idiots at either extreme and, by and large, a consensus is arrived at by the middle ground.

I find it mind boggling that an experienced and well thought of film critic would declare that 'the fans have ruined Star Wars'. That sounds to me just like one of these whiny little internet whelps. It's babyish and stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, the fans just wanted Disney to treat the original series with respect and do their best to honour them, albeit with some innovation/ new ideas. The Mandalorian seems to do this and is getting great reviews - ive seen the first 6 episodes and it's fully engrossing and very good indeed.

My own gripes of the top of my hungover head:

* It was a let down for me that the TFA was so formulaic and copied ANH and original trilogy tropes so closely, while not making proper use of the original stars at their disposal. Some things were novel but it was too much of a rehash, and the new elements did not have enough flesh on their bones (e.g. Poe, First Order, Snoke) or in-world logic (e.g. Finn backstory, Luke mental collapse, Rey development).

* On the flipside, TLJ seemed to go the other way completely and destroyed some of the original 'tropes' or defined elements of the OT. Luke being a whingey, giver-upper was not acceptable. The art house, stylistic elements of the film were also not in keeping with the OT for me, and the humour was off - making fun of itself in some sort of third wall breaking way.

Some of the bigger issues of the top of my head:

Continuity from OT to new trilogy
    Continuity within new trilogy
    Clash of styles between directors
    Misuse of OT stars when available
    Conclusion of OT stars character arcs
    Lack of character development
    Lack of fresh ideas RE baddies/ world
    Misuse of humour

Ultimately, I feel aggrieved for a critic to say the fans ruined Star Wars when they have such love for it and ao badly wanted the new trilogy to be good.

I'm still hopefull the final episode might be good, but with Space Horses, Luke and Han dead, CGI Leia, and the unwelcome return of Palpatine, I'm not very confident, but am still looking forward to it regardless.

I have a feeling that I will by and large have the same gripes after seeing it as I have now. Disney needed to put a lot more time in planning the entire trilogy in one go, then hodge podge it as they went along. That was not acceptable. When you have a project this big and important, you plan it. So.. if anyone ruined Star Wars, Disney ruined it - they were in charge.

Anyway, here's hoping /rant

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the fans just wanted Disney to treat the original series with respect and do their best to honour them,

The fans have not behaved well and I know its probably a very vocal minority but the hate for TLJ was way over the top.

Like Rian Johnson got death threats over the film.

I'm sure you are right that that is what most fans wanted, but nobody heard that just the crying and screaming.

Advertisement