Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm going to see it on Friday

Whereas I'm still totally in two minds whether to see this in the cinema. Maybe if the sober reviews skew very positive I might, but am just so deflated & demotivated by all things Star Wars / Disney I may end up skipping a Star Wars film for the first time ever (too young for the original trilogy but saw the Special Editions as a teen, and everything else since). It's a weird feeling TBH, never thought I'd find no buzz for Star Wars :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    I just hope the reviews are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭fluke

Star Wars movies are at their core about hope, and if nothing else, we could all use some hope these days. I'll probably catch it this coming weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Going to wait for the audience reaction but in all honesty I can see myself skipping this one.

That is from somebody who went to midnight shows for the prequels and went to an early morning show for The Force Awakens and a midnight show of Rouge One.

Rogue One had the identity politics too but it was a good film that I really enjoyed the battle at the end was one of the best ever in Star Wars.

The Last Jedi was pure utter trash an insult to Star Wars a franchise killer.
    The Force Awakes had a bit of pace to it a good solid 7.5 out of ten but the utter trash of The Last Jedi laid bare all the faults of The Force Awakens.

Solo was just meh not bad but not great either and it was laced with identity politics.

The Rise of Skywalker from what I have see looks like it is going to be pure drivel and I have zero interest in seeing it.

I am not being negative or toxic I hope we get good Star Wars in the future but I think we are about to hit rock bottom but hey the only way it up.

The last Episode of The Mandalorian Chapter Six I really enjoyed it was modern Star Wars and it was really good.

The sequel trilogy for me is trash and for anybody viewing the saga in the future I would advise them to skip that whole mess.

Great movies Jaws and the classic Star Wars trilogy.

OK movies with good bits in Jaws 2 and the Star Wars prequels.

Total trash Jaws 3D and Jaws the Revenge and The Disney Star Wars trilogy.

What I hope is The Mandalorian carries on being really good and leads to other great Star Wars TV and hopefully some good Star Wars on the big screen once this joke of a trilogy is in the distant rear view mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Over the next few days, I’ll rewatch The Last Jedi and savour the pleasure of the my favourite Star Wars film and favourite blockbuster (top three, minimum) of the 2010s.

On Wednesday, I’ll follow a personal tradition and go to see a midnight screening like I did the past two films and enjoy the unique joy of that fanfare pushing me into a new Star Wars film. Will be nice to see it before ‘the discourse’ tries its darnedest to poison the well.

If it’s a good film, great! I’ll be happy Abrams managed to give these characters a decent ending.

If it’s bad, *shrug*. I’ll just look forward to Little Women the following week instead. So it goes. This is just another film in an endless parade of stuff I want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Long time fan who saw the Empire Strikes Back in the cinema and every SW film since then.

I won't be going purely off the back of The Last Jedi.

Where do you start with TLJ?

It's all been said before but such a bad idea to have no overall vision of this trilogy and just hand the baton to different directors.
    Luke throwing away his lightsaber at the start of TLJ to show he'd turned his back on the Jedi ... Why is he standing there in Jedi robes?
    It's like telling a story with a group of people and asking them to chip in a sentence each.
    No connection. No vision. Contradictions abound. Revisionist nonsense.

I won't go as a way to show Disney that I won't just watch something with a SW badge on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mathie wrote: »
    Luke throwing away his lightsaber at the start of TLJ to show he'd turned his back on the Jedi ... Why is he standing there in Jedi robes?

I know you are making a larger point etc but this is explained in the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Over the next few days, I’ll rewatch The Last Jedi and savour the pleasure of the my favourite Star Wars film and favourite blockbuster (top three, minimum) of the 2010s.

On Wednesday, I’ll follow a personal tradition and go to see a midnight screening like I did the past two films and enjoy the unique joy of that fanfare pushing me into a new Star Wars film. Will be nice to see it before ‘the discourse’ tries its darnedest to poison the well.

If it’s a good film, great! I’ll be happy Abrams managed to give these characters a decent ending.

If it’s bad, *shrug*. I’ll just look forward to Little Women the following week instead. So it goes. This is just another film in an endless parade of stuff I want to see.

I enjoyed Last Jedi, and like yourself think it's one of the stronger blockbuster of recent years but honestly my enthusiasm for Star Wars is just shot. I don't begrudge the creative decisions taken, but I'm simply burned out. Blockbuster cinema has become a depressing Disney'ified monopoly and be it Fox acquisitions, endless live-action remakes, the possible dismantling of the Paramount Decree, or whatever; I gotta draw the line in the sand somewhere if these are things I genuinely care about. Not that I expect my paltry boycott is going to count for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

I know you are making a larger point etc but this is explained in the film.

How?
    Putting the robes on to justify the burning of the tree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The Last Jedi was pure utter trash an insult to Star Wars a franchise killer.
    The Force Awakes had a bit of pace to it a good solid 7.5 out of ten but the utter trash of The Last Jedi laid bare all the faults of The Force Awakens.

While I don't agree that TLJ was crap, it definitely did highlight the faults with TFA and this trilogy as a whole but only because Disney seem like they are listening to the backlash and now seem to be ****ting on the film to promote ep9.

I was happy to just go with TLJ and the major issues that fans had didn't bother me, I just think it cemented all their characters in their roles for the final film, but now that is all being undone and the emperor shoehorned in for some major fan service and honestly and as someone who has loved Star Wars since I was kid and enjoyed Ep 7 and 8, I can see myself skipping this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've had my iMax tickets booked for weeks. Very much looking forward to it.

El Duda wrote: »
    I've had my iMax tickets booked for weeks. Very much looking forward to it.

Me too, I’m dead excited. In fact I have to see it twice minimum in the cinema because I promised to bring the kids but not taking them to a midnight showing.

Guess my multiple viewings will cancel out someone else’s refusal to watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mathie wrote: »
    How?
    Putting the robes on to justify the burning of the tree?

Yes but with him in it, i.e. it's implied that he's preparing to perform a kind of ritual suicide on himself to end the Jedi. He does effectively kill himself at the end but to save/inspire a new generation of Jedi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm booked for Thursday.

Because lightsabers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Booked the midnight show at the Odeon Point Square and mainly looking forward to it because my step-son and his friend we're taking are so excited about it (though how much of the excitement is for the film, and how much is for the fact it's a midnight show, I'm not quite sure!).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I enjoyed Last Jedi, and like yourself think it's one of the stronger blockbuster of recent years but honestly my enthusiasm for Star Wars is just shot.

How can you enjoy 'The Last Jedi', but feel that it "shot" your enthusiasm for Star Wars? Unless I'm reading you wrong.

Like you (and many others) though, I couldn't care less about 'The Rise of Skywalker' and I've seen nothing to pick up my spirits about it. Disney's mess has just deflated what little enthusiasm I had after the copypasta event that was 'The Force Awakens' and all the problems that that film had. 'The Last Jedi' just put a lid on that for me.

It all just feels so fake. One big, huge, fake mess, with entirely the wrong people in charge.

Tony EH wrote: »
    How can you enjoy 'The Last Jedi', but feel that it "shot" your enthusiasm for Star Wars? Unless I'm reading you wrong.

You read me wrong, cos I went and explained my fatigue in the following sentences :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I assume this, or another thread is going spoilerific after Wednesday?

If so, there's a lot of people here ripping up their voting cards if they don't go see it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You read me wrong, cos I went and explained my fatigue in the following sentences :)

So, your fatigue is with blockbusters in general and not just Star Wars?

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I assume this, or another thread is going spoilerific after Wednesday?

If so, there's a lot of people here ripping up their voting cards if they don't go see it. :P

I'll keep an eye on reviews from those I'd "trust", and maybe a couple of folks here held in similar esteem, but honestly I'm so blergh in general, I'm kinda at the point where I don't mind if I'm spoiled.

Not as fundamentalist about spoilers as others and sometimes knowing up-front what's coming helps the enjoyment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I enjoyed Last Jedi, and like yourself think it's one of the stronger blockbuster of recent years but honestly my enthusiasm for Star Wars is just shot. I don't begrudge the creative decisions taken, but I'm simply burned out. Blockbuster cinema has become a depressing Disney'ified monopoly and be it Fox acquisitions, endless live-action remakes, the possible dismantling of the Paramount Decree, or whatever; I gotta draw the line in the sand somewhere if these are things I genuinely care about. Not that I expect my paltry boycott is going to count for anything.

You're preaching to the converted, my man, and I skip the majority of ****e pumped out by Disney. Heck, I'm 50:50 with the Disney Star Wars films (think Rogue One and Solo are both varying degrees of tragically compromised - i.e. not good) and I don't think I need to repeat my views on the Marvel output (also: 95% ****e). BUT! I like these sequel films - TFA a little less since I first saw it, and TLJ quite a lot more since I first saw it - and there's something about a proper, mainline Star Wars film that still awakens (ho!) that childlike excitement in me. I actually give a lot of credit to Abrams and Johnson for that, given how utterly aghast I was when I first heard Disney was making a new trilogy.

I'm indifferent to where the series goes after this, and honestly I don't really have much investment in this one either - as I've said before, to get a trilogy with just one film as good as TLJ is far better than I'd ever have hoped. But I'm still pumped for the lights to go down and sit through one more title card, crawl and opening fanfare. After years of relentless, screeching and stupefying online discourse about these new films I'm still down for one last Skywalker saga film. I've seen dozens and dozens of great films from all over the world this year - one big space opera a few days before Christmas still has a nice little buzz to it though, regardless of how good / bad it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    I'll keep an eye on reviews from those I'd "trust", and maybe a couple of folks here held in similar esteem, but honestly I'm so blergh in general, I'm kinda at the point where I don't mind if I'm spoiled.

Not as fundamentalist about spoilers as others and sometimes knowing up-front what's coming helps the enjoyment.

When is the review embargo lifted for critics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

When is the review embargo lifted for critics?

Think it’s the early am Wednesday morning for the Pacific coast, so when you log in for work that day you can spend the day brushing up.
    2 hour long youtube screeds should follow shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I can save you the trouble - it's going to be fairly ****.

Better than TLJ but worse than force awakens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Seeing it 1:45pm on Thursday, so hopefully spoilers won't be an issue for me. In saying that, I have read the main Reddit leak and it seems to be accurate based on all the footage shown in the trailers and TV spots. I have a fair idea of what's going to happen. Based on said leak it should be a decent movie apart from the ending if they haven't done any tinkering since then. Maybe it just didn't come across well on paper. We'll see.

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, your fatigue is with blockbusters in general and not just Star Wars?

As I said, it's mostly Disney. The aggression in their intent to dominate the pop culture landscape is pretty exhausting if not worrying, but seems to get a pass because the X-Men are back in the MCU or whatever. The Paramount Decree being harried was the wake-up call; Disney would have us (well, the US for now) consuming only Disney content and I've been genuinely taken aback by a desire to rule all the market. There are some movies coming from "Fox" I'm looking forward to, but the fact they're now just another branch of the Mouse House gives me pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

As I said, it's mostly Disney. The aggression in their intent to dominate the pop culture landscape is pretty exhausting if not worrying, but seems to get a pass because the X-Men are back in the MCU or whatever. The Paramount Decree being harried was the wake-up call; Disney would have us (well, the US for now) consuming only Disney content and I've been genuinely taken aback by a desire to rule all the market. There are some movies coming from "Fox" I'm looking forward to, but the fact they're now just another branch of the Mouse House gives me pause.

Does it really matter lots of company’s own various different assets in entertainment

AT&T ultimately owns WB studios they also own HBO , new line cinema, various music studios , DC

Comcast owns universal sudios, nbc ,sky ,dreamworks

You just hear about the Disney stuff because it’s dealing with buying very popular brands with fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

First reactions are out, so the following PSA applies:

Hyperbole is rife in first reactions.

Having said that, many of the reactions are declaring Rise of the Skywalker a 'fúck you' to Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi.

Interesting times ahead!

• Advertisement

But... do they fly now?

Advertisement