Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In case you missed it, bitmap are doing a second print run of the hg101 jrpg book:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Guide-Japanese-Role-Playing-Games-Bitmap-Books/9781838019143

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,704 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

There's 10% off Book Depository atm using the code book10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Started playing NEO: The World ends with you and I cannot believe a direct sequel to a 14 year old DS game is actually good and enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The complete lack of promotion for the game felt like squenix had no confidence at all in the game and sent it out to die but apparently it's amazing.

Anyone tried dungeon encounters?

People talking about it on twitter making noises that it's game of the year material.

Discord I'm on has a lot of people singing its praises minus the music. It seems almost like a board game version of a DRPG?

I'm trucking away at NEO TWEWY at the moment so I don't have time for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm interested.

Haven't played anything JRPG like since DQXI (excluding FF7R).

I worry a little about the harsh(ish) game over reset conditions and possible frustration.

EG's review was good

I played a bit about it. It basically strips everything out of a jrpg other than the mechanics. So your mileage will vary on whether you play rpgs for the story and presentation or messing around with the mechanics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Nostalgic thread (good to see retro and a couple of others boardsie i could recognize here lol). Due to life/work (and pissed off by SE since FF13), the only jrpgs i played in the past 7/8 years was actually replaying original ff7 (hd filter something) and ff9 (moguri mode on PC).

SRW30:

Until a few days ago i saw SuperRobotWars30 on Steam front page lmao. Decided not to buy it as it looks scammy as usual (they basically rereleased literal same products in different packaging the past few years), lackluster line ups for a game that is supposed to be the 30 anniversary version, bloody selling DLC at launch for extra fees lol.

I think 4chan/reddit all blown up on the release (first official international/western release), and alot of people just paid for it, as most players outside of asia have to import them from asia and paid premium for many years. I said nope - 50e base game, 75e for deluxe (preorder bonus+dlc), 95e for ultimate package - no way i pay for this scam!

And then yesterday realized brother actually pre-ordered the deluxe version :D oh well why not have a go (share library on steam). Played a few stages so far - we thought honestly it is enjoyable - quality is definitely there (graphics, UI, systems etc), and they have much better translations this time (finally...after so many sh!t show in translation in the past decade...). Definitely looks polished worthy for 'international' release - 50/50 chance it could turn out to be some janky sh!tshow (this shows how much lack of confidence i have for this studio lmao).

(and ye not sure if any boardsie knows about SRW, it is more of a thing if you like mecha/anime/manga as it basically makes a big crossover of the popular mecha shows in 1 game/universe, and the dialogue etc are more lighthearted)

• Advertisement

The last SRW I played ( and the first ) was the one with battleship Yamato on PS4 that got a asian english (engrish) release. I tried to play it but could not get into it at all as it seems like a very disjointed SRPG. It's even simpler than Shining Force and yet feels as balanced as a bad RPG maker SRPG. Just totally put me off the series despite it being gorgeous.

I still feel like I'm missing out as Kat Bailey keeps talking about how much she loves the series, how difficult it is and how the one I played was disappointing.

As for Square Enix. FF13 was a disappointment but they've been putting out great games since. FF13-2 was fun and FF13-3 is secretly an amazing game. Then you have stuff like the Mana 3 remake, Saga: Scarlet Grace, Dragon Quest 11, The world Ends with you sequel, and lots of other great stuff. I wouldn't be put off their output over that one game. They may not be putting out as much stuff as usual but they are still the same Square that produces high budget yet experimental RPGs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That was V, I loved it, thought it was brilliant, I also have T and X and was looking at importing this new one but play-asia are trying to charge me 60 euro for shipping.

Ah well I best steer clear of the series if V was good. Just didn't like it. There's something about SRPGs with massive movement ranges that I just don't like.

Indeed I always start with Hard difficulty for SRW games if possible. Because the main selling point of the series is literally putting mechas from different shows into 1 world, it is supposedly be goofy/goofying around and for the mecha fans to see the awesome fight A vs B, role playing the mechs (or switched the pilots from 1 show to another ha), and then find the hidden mechs or random *** crossover stories. All in all a fan service game, so ya, the challenges aspect of being a SRPG is quite weak generally - the systems or power balancing are all over the place etc because they want to shake things but they never have enough budget or run by a group of interns there etc (also cant balance well when it comes to Super robots vs Real robots ha).

I am actually curious if one doesnt know the mecha/s, would one still enjoy it - retro do you know at least Gundam etc? or you find these robots are cool looking at least?

From what i heard from friend V T X are very similar? He told me nothing significant if i want i just need to get V ha. Out of curiousity, sephiroth dude are you a mecha fan?

The new one? SRW30? this is the first time ever we dont need to deal with these importing headaches aha.

On SE, from the past years, the only game i touched was bravely default 1 (ok game), Octopath was a disappointment and i didnt even finish it. I agree with you on SE on 'experimental' aspect and i am ok with those games, but that's why i mentioned FF i.e. their flagship product. SE truly used to be my go-to when i want something with vision, music + graphics, all these later projects (post FF12) no longer have 'souls' (cringe but ye i need that lol...). Just look at that abomination FF7: remake, ya no i refuse to give a penny to SE (yet I bought FFX/X-2 remastered on steam last year...).

Ye as I grow older, I just keep thinking it is important that any project/game needs to have visions, that the way some director/team put their passion/visions to create a RPG that is interesting and fun - or, at least have a slightly more cohesive story and unfold the story in a competent way. A lot of writings/brain storming are needed during a project's development phase - and SE's products truly show that they are run by a bunch of incompetents. I dont even hate Nomura anymore at this stage lol.

and that reminds me on the this YT channel i quite like aha (not sure if you came across his “Okay I believe you” meme from KH series)

i do get the impression that the real successor of FF is now their FF:MMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

SMT V reviews are out, didn't think they'd be out until next week. Lot of 9/10's so far. Have a lot of games on at the moment but gonna be hard to resist pre-ordering this one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya I love mecha, I love the way anime series cross over in SRW and you see characters from different animes in them. You're friend is right, there all standalone I think. I haven't played T or X yet but I wanted physical copies for my collection and wanted to add SRW 30 to it on the switch but I won't get it right now anyway.

Shin Megami Tensei V getting stellar reviews across the board. Can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype.

Yeah. Have it ordered. IGNs review was really bad, even though it got 8/10, the reviewer basically complained for the entire review that it isn't Persona 5.

• Advertisement

aha high five fellow mecha fans. i am enjoying SRW30 (graphics is real improvement this time i thought) but i am taking it slow, maybe like a few stages a week ha. Gundam Victory theme BGM is so good this time around but I think alot of popular mechs are missing in this (EVA, other gundams etc, and my favourite Full metal panic also...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Really regret having to sell the Wii version of Xenoblade Chronicles to pay bills, so I recently bought the 3DS version as cex was selling it for 20. I don't have a Switch for that version. Put about 5 and a half hours into it, and still enjoying it.

Seems SMTV preorders in the states are being delayed a week. Seems to be across the board. Could be that they didn't anticipate demand but could well be a production issue holding up cartridges.

Not sure if it's the same in Europe.

Can't pre order in Smyths for some reason either. Dont think its anything to do with this issue but weird its listed but can't pre order. Gamestop seem only option but I'm reluctant after waiting a week after release for Metroid

Well looks like no one is getting SMT V from GameStop tomorrow, they've delisted it.

Smyths have updated the site to list it for home delivery now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My preorder has dispatched from Amazon today

Nice. A few of these popped up on Nintendo UK Store last night but were snapped up immediately. Might just order standard from Smyths. Was hoping Argos would do the €47 price on these like they've done on other releases but they don't even seem to have it listed.

SMT V out of stock in Smyths now. Should have ordered yesterday. What the hell is going on with this release. Seems like they printed about 10 copies of the game

I think they didn't factor in the Persona popularity factor and the fact that switch owners are ravenous for new games.

I also wonder if Smyths got many copies in. Was delivery only, no instore option. Dont think they got Nocturne HD in either on release. Ordered a copy from Amazon there anyway as there doesn't seem to be any option to get it in Ireland right now. I'm sure it'll be back in shops here but I don't want to chance it it being an Atlus release and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I ordered mine within an hour of it being listed, was gonna cancel it lately but glad I didn't now. Seems like what's happening is the same as what happened Persona 5, was months finding another copy. I hope they restock soon for anyone that missed it.

Simply Games still has copies if that's any good

Well GameStop pulled through and I got my preorder. Doesn't look like they are getting any more copies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Is there any Playstation 4 available to buy new at the moment, can't see it available online,alternatively a x box seems unavailable also.am I right in thinking this? Thanks.

Might try and hold off on SMTV until it get a PC release from how people are talking about performance.

Just finished NEO: TWEWY last week and I still want to play a little more of the psot game stuff. Though it seems like a bug might prevent me from completing some of it?

Finished Bravely Default II the other day and thought it a big pile of meh. Very interesting and enjoyable battle system set in a pleasant if barren world but the story was so, so half-baked, dull and unimaginative.

Of course I'm spoiled after completing all nine of the Legend of Heroes games so BD II was always going to struggle in the world building/storytelling stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Any ps4 recs for someone who has played Persona 5 in the last years, adored DQXI to the extent that he platinumed it and then got to the middle of Trails of Cold Steel 2 before getting a bit jaded?

Yakuza: like a dragon is the best jrpg I've played in years. Takes a little while to get going but it's basically Yakuza craziness mixed with dragon quest.

And it's fine to jump into it cold and not much experience of the rest of the series.

I played one Yakuza game (0) and found the fighting mechanics pretty shallow and insufficient to sustain my interest. I’m not that big into fighting games at the best of times, so replacing it with turn-based combat sounds great.

Anyone picking up Blue Reflection: Second Light? Getting great reviews and seems to be the game the first one should have been.

• Advertisement

Wasn't expecting the Blue Reflection sequel to be good in any way but I am tempted. Might go back to the first one and blow through what I have it since it was so easy. It feels like a lot of good JRPG's came out this year though and I've only beaten one of them (NEO:TWEWY).

Received my copy of the Bitmap Book on JRPG’s. God, it’s fantastic. A real treat to flick through, stop on a game I might have vaguely heard of, and read and learn about it.

Worth every penny.

Post edited by Doodah7 on

Picked up Fell Seas Arbiters Mark in the Eshop sale. Played an hour or so and liking it so far. Haven't seen a review of it that hasn't compared it to FF Tactics, which I have never played so cant comment on that, but it seems a decent SRPG so far.

Only about 3 hours into SMT V but really enjoying it so far. Soundtrack is godly as usual and really like the mobility your character has. Haven't got into Fusion or anything yet.

Only just unlocked the ability to fuse so will be fusing the bejaysus out of it now once I get a few more demons in my party

Apparently Square Enix's lawyer squad is in over drive sending C&D's to rom sites for Chrono Trigger/Cross, Parasite Eve and Front Mission content. It's more than likely that it's because of remasters of these games coming. Looks like their recent (and pretty damn amazing) remasters have been selling well so looking forward to more of them.

There are rumours abound that Persona 3 Portable will be the next Atlus game to get ported to PS4, Switch and PC. This comes from the same person that leaked the just announced re-release of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

No details on it as of yet other than that it is an "enhanced port". I'd reckon would probably be closer to P3FES with the additional content and gameplay changes from Portable put into it.

• Advertisement

Would be nice to have a definitive edition of Persona 3. I love Persona 3 portable and the girl protagonist is a really refreshing change (not to mention the absolute banger battle music she has) but it's maddening that the FES content is left out.

Saying that, I recently completed The Answer content of FES and it's really not worth playing...

It's still maddening that Sega and Atlus are doing everything in their power not to port Persona 5 to Switch or PC.

Advertisement