Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

XSeed with a surprise announcement. Zwei: The Ilvard (Zwei II Plus) is getting a release on Steam this Halloween.

I've heard nothing but great things about Zwei II, it's meant to be up there with the Xanadu games as one of the very best action RPGs of all time. What I do know is that it has a cracking soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

They mystery RPG turned out to be Metal Max Xeno

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/metal-max-xeno-announced-ps4-ps-vita

cool to see that series return, really starting to feel like the good old days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sieghardt wrote: »

What are the chances it will come west?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Except everything has a percentage of the budget it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked up a PS4 last week, just wanted to know if anyone has recommendations?
    I picked up Type 0 and Ff9

• Advertisement

Picked up a PS4 last week, just wanted to know if anyone has recommendations?
    I picked up Type 0 and Ff9

Yakuza 0, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, Ys Origin, Ys 8, Tales of Berseria, Utawaerumono Mask of Deception/Truth, Persona 5, Nioh, Nights of Azure, Nier Automata, GOD WARS, Disgaea 5, Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

all worth checking out depending on your tastes

Yakuza 0, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, Ys Origin, Ys 8, Tales of Berseria, Utawaerumono Mask of Deception/Truth, Persona 5, Nioh, Nights of Azure, Nier Automata, GOD WARS, Disgaea 5, Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Already cleared P5 on PS3. Yakuza is on my list so is Blue Reflection.
    Don't know what the others are like, I didnt really pay attention if I couldn't play them.
    I like Earthbound, Mother 3, Persona 3/4/5, SMTIV, Final Fantasy (but nothing after 10), Breath of Fire IV. I haven't played strategy type ones at all really.
    Loads of unplayed stuff on my backlog https://backloggery.com/games.php?user=fuzzy_furafura

If you've never played a SRPG you should definitely play Valkyria Chronicles, it's a great way to ease into the genre

If you've never played a SRPG you should definitely play Valkyria Chronicles, it's a great way to ease into the genre
    I have it on PS3 I'm sure, it's on my backlog anyway lol :) looking forward to giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would add Yakuza Kiwami, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Grand Kingdom, World Of Final Fantasy, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, .hack//G.U. Last Recode, The Witcher 3, Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, The Last Guardian, SUPER ROBOT WARS V and Steins,Gate 0.

Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ is out next month as well.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I would add Yakuza Kiwami, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Grand Kingdom, World Of Final Fantasy, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, .hack//G.U. Last Recode, The Witcher 3, Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, The Last Guardian, SUPER ROBOT WARS V and Steins,Gate 0.

Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ is out next month as well.
    I got Last Guardian for e20 so have it. Yakuza is on my list I had posted above. I have Odin Sphere on Vita so I dunno if I'd buy it twice. Would I need to play other Atelier games first? I have some for PS3, not just for story but for gameplay would it be hard to go back to

I wouldnt recommend Atelier Sophie, I love the series but I think it's the weakest entry, I'd say start with Mana Khemia, Atelier Totori or Ayelier Ayesha to anyone starting the series for the first time.

There's no big glaring faults with it or anything, it's just kinda boring and uneventful

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/new-valkyria-project-announced-november-20-planned-worldwide-release

SEGA Teasing a new Valkyria title for a worldwide release, I want to believe it'll finally be a worthy sequel to the first but I also dont want to get my hopes up in case it's some mobile or spinoff rubbish again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing through summon night 6 atm, not a bad game but there's too much pointless dialogue and I find myself sweeping through it, which is not what I want too do in a game.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Coming In 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I can't find my old post & recall asking about it here on here before. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apololypse is on sale on the 3DS eShop for a tenner.
    Wanted to give the series a go & am wondering is this a good introduction to the series???

ERG89 wrote: »
    I can't find my old post & recall asking about it here on here before. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apololypse is on sale on the 3DS eShop for a tenner.
    Wanted to give the series a go & am wondering is this a good introduction to the series???
    I only played Persona before it and really enjoyed it, would definitely recommend especially for a tenner.
    If you've never played Persona or SMT the spells may take somw gwtting used ro. I thinl the tutorial works well in it

ERG89 wrote: »

SMT 4 is a good introduction. Apocalypse isn't, it's a direct sequel to 4. I'd rank 4 as one of the best jrpgs of all time so if at all possible, play that first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

I FINALLY got Persona 4 Golden and I can't wait to play it but I have never played a Persona game before nor have I watched the anime. Will I be completely lost starting this late into the series or is each game a stand alone story?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

MissMayo wrote: »
    I FINALLY got Persona 4 Golden and I can't wait to play it but I have never played a Persona game before nor have I watched the anime. Will I be completely lost starting this late into the series or is each game a stand alone story?

Each game is a standalone story, except Persona 2 which is split into two games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More Zwei love from XSeed incoming

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More Zwei love from XSeed incoming

Did you play the first one?

Nope not yet. The hg101 forum has been harping on about the series for years and saying it's a disgrace they never got localised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This beauty arrived today.

c3ymQI7YK99vZglL6jRQvEEPBGtLzXmO.png

I put about 70 hours into IV so hopefully this will be the same. Came with a nice artbook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The blonde at the front is the image of Nenecchi from New Game!

Christ I love the Etrian series but I'm only finished the first and second :)

How accessible too newbies is the new etrian game?

They're all pretty accessible. Just have to realise you can't get every character ability so you need to min max your characters and always, always carry two warp wires in case you forget to replace the last one you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

How accessible too newbies is the new etrian game?

You may as well start with IV if you have a 3DS. That's were I began. I think it's very cheap on the eShop.

I have very little experience with JRPGs and got on fine with IV. It's all about floating around at a relaxing pace and ticking off each quest as they come up. You'll be obliterated early on but that's to be expected before levelling up.

You don't really have to know what's fully going on. You'll find your way.

I think it's a love/hate type of game. Not everyone will be keen on the map drawing. I loved it. Spent ages perfecting every map in each of the dungeons.

The music is just wonderful though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Etrian Oddessy's pretty accessible once you understand you have to plan your party in advance. Though you only have to give up two levels in IV to reset your points.

Advertisement