Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I think P4 is totally inferior to P5 now, and I loved P4. The only part of me that wants to see it as the better game now is the one who loves the nostalgia aspect.

P5 is the best JRPG I've ever played. It doesn't mean it's my favourite, but there's never been a JRPG of the standard of it before. It's 100+ hours of JRPG heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I still think P4 has the best pacing. P5 has the summer where it feels like there's big stretches of nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Speaking of best RPG ever contenders, I just started Valkyrie Profile and it makes me question Tri-Ace.

VP is far and away the best thing these guys have produced. Everything from the writing, execution to the themes and tone of the game are absolutely spot on. It's such a unique a brilliant game.

They just haven't managed to really get close to the high point of Valkyrie Profile again. I usually enjoy their games but they have a few duds and even their best games like the FF13 sequels are bankrupt when it comes to tone and writing.

Even the English localisation is decent, the opening prologue is a bit stilted but the Pokn cast do a mostly excellent job elsewhere, even if it's jarring to hear them outside of Pokn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

megaten wrote: »
    I still think P4 has the best pacing. P5 has the summer where it feels like there's big stretches of nothing.
    I can agree with the big stretches especially towards the time Haru joined.
    P3P will always be my favourite.
    I would say P5 is just that bit better than 4, even though time was tighter I felt I'd more options to spend my time and much better ost. Battles felt better too.

The World Ends With You is getting a port to switch with a new extra scenario. Looks like the new stuff is made from what was planned for the sequel years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The World Ends With You is getting a port to switch with a new extra scenario. Looks like the new stuff is made from what was planned for the sequel years ago.

Ys VIII is also getting ported

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fantastic news, another reason why I am glad I got a Switch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana has been delayed again on Steam, but the relocalization update patch is still due on the 30th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Delayed with no release date either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana has been delayed again on Steam, but the relocalization update patch is still due on the 30th.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Delayed with no release date either.

Frame rate issues, they've passed it off to a new team.

Ouch. Was looking forward to it and have it preordered. Might have to go back to ps4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Not played the Granblue mobile game, but watched the anime and really enjoyed it (closest there is to a Final Fantasy series, has that same fantasy vibe from the earlier games). Game looks good, even if its combat is very Dynasty Warriors it could be nice to just blow off some steam and smish some goblins.

New trailer for VC4, not much (as its focused on the Squad 7 DLC) but nice to see they have reused the characters animations (Alicias nod, Rosies kiss). Just give us a damn Western release date already!

^^^^^^^^ I didn't know it had an anime series :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

^^^^^^^^ I didn't know it had an anime series :eek:!

Yup, wasn't too bad either. Helps that Cygames fully produced it so they didn't need to make compromises to a production committee.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/granblue-fantasy-the-animation

Any interest in lost sphear?

None, tried the demo and had no idea what was going on. Not much of a looker either.

Jeremy Parish isn't overly fond in his ign and retronauts write up

A 20 hour RPG that pays tribute to the old classics, I'll chance it when it's around the €20 mark for sure

Was not a fan of what I played of I Am Setsuna and it looks like Lost Sphear has not really improved over it, plus it is gonna be more of a slog being twice as long to finish.

• Advertisement

A 20 hour RPG that pays tribute to the old classics, I'll chance it when it's around the €20 mark for sure

Jeremy parish's criticisms were basically that it doesn't even manage that and totally misses what made chromo trigger the classic it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

it just feels incredibly hollow.

On paper it sounds like a game I'd be totally into but in practice it just feels lacking, there's no weight to anything, nothing feels like it has any impact

Getting a mecha form and transforming and restoring the world and the story events, these things should be a big deal but they all just kinda happen and it's unsatisfying

Been playing an awful lot more Xanadu Next and it's one of the best action RPGs I've played. Love how the world opens up like a metroidvania with each new ability and the combat is very satisfying.

Been playing an awful lot more Xanadu Next and it's one of the best action RPGs I've played. Love how the world opens up like a metroidvania with each new ability and the combat is very satisfying.

Would love if we got a sequel.

I still think you are talking about Tokyo xanadu but if it's anywhere near as good as next I can't wait to give that a bash.

I still think you are talking about Tokyo xanadu but if it's anywhere near as good as next I can't wait to give that a bash.

:o You're right I was :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

New video on Octopath, mainly details the UI improvements from the demo survey.

Game still looks lovely, only had the Switch over a month so may try the demo at some stage, but I think the last image hints at an upgraded version coming out at some stage.

The Ys VIII localization update is now out, looks like it has been a big improvement from early reports.

Considering the original was master of unlocking levels of bad that wouldn't be hard.

Still... would be nice to have access to the original translation for comedy purposes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FFXII The Zodiac Age

Use code 'JUSTFORYOU' on Greenmangaming for 23% off

Got it for 31 euro :)

Advertisement