Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

New Code Vein trailer.

RAITA is back again as the art director it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked up Blue Reflection and Valkyria Chronicles Remastered Europa Edition for PS4 (it was £11.99 if anyone's looking for it on Base, got Okami HD on there too)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd say we may see the PS4 versions of 1 and 2 beforehand. Should be fairly quick to do as there doesn't appear to be new content except for some tie in costumes from 3.

I hope 2 arrives sooner rather than later, I've pretty much given up on the Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Picked up Blue Reflection

Let us know how you get on with that one, I like the aesthetic of gust games but it feel like they're pumping out too many games at the moment for any of them to be good.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with that one, I like the aesthetic of gust games but it feel like they're pumping out too many games at the moment for any of them to be good.
    I will do! I'm hoping it'll be fun.

Think Amazon UK was the cheapest but only checked a few sites, about 28 posted with DPD I paid and it's £27.85 for Prime Members and Base is £31.79.

I just didn't see many people picking it up at all, only one person on IG that I can think of and they seemed to enjoy it, we'd like similar stuff, big P5 fan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm enjoying it but it's hardly amazing. Soundtrack is the only standout. It's got the usual relaxed gust vibe and has kind of a persona vibe to it. The issue is it's very obvious the ideas far outstripped the budget and it becomes apparent quite early. There's only really 4 dungeon locations and side quests repeat an awful lot. You can tell they are avoiding showing any characters outside of the main girls which is weird as it means no teachers or parents, or weirder for a magical girl game, any boys or love interests.

Most disappointingly it's very modern in its anime influences. It takes itself way too seriously. It could have benefitted from some sailor moon type humour but it's all about the power of friendship and people doing their best to get ahead in life.

I am probably being over negative but I feel it's on par with Gusts output since the Dusk trilogy ended.

Arrived
    26170777_2032691596949476_2489575090266943393_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2ce5e4c690d8fb3cbd0640deeabf3db9&oe=5AF71043

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What are people's thoughts on Radiant Historia and SMT: Strange Journey?

Both are getting 3DS editions soon and as with most Atlus games, if you don't early adopt you'll probably end up paying over the odds for a copy.

Being fairly new to JRPGs, would I be right assuming that SMT would be too difficult or too much of a grind? RH looks interesting. Some compared it to Chrono Trigger which I loved.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on Radiant Historia and SMT: Strange Journey?

Both are getting 3DS editions soon and as with most Atlus games, if you don't early adopt you'll probably end up paying over the odds for a copy.

Being fairly new to JRPGs, would I be right assuming that SMT would be too difficult or too much of a grind? RH looks interesting. Some compared it to Chrono Trigger which I loved.

Radiant Historia and The World Ends With You were my two favorite games on the DS, it has a solid story and battle system, the soundtrack is really good as well from Yoko Shimomura and it really fits some of the darker moments in the game.

The 3DS version will have some new content and will fix some of the graphical issues and character designs the original suffered from, you could easily put about 45 hours into it, which is a nice length due to the lack of grinding needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Xenji wrote: »
    The 3DS version will have some new content and will fix some of the graphical issues and character designs the original suffered from, you could easily put about 45 hours into it, which is a nice length due to the lack of grinding needed.

Well that sounds perfect. The 3DS collection is every growing. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found SMT Strange Journey to be one of the best dungeon crawlers I've played. It's built on the Etrian Odyssey engine. However while there is no grinding it can get very tough with bosses from chapter 5 onwards being insane. You really have to abuse buffs and debuffs to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Think I'm nearly finished the first Trails of Cold Steel on the PS Vita now. Really fun RPG, nothing groundbreaking and the localization is a bit crap, but very good nonetheless.

Two questions

1 - is the second worth picking up if I enjoyed the first?
    2 - What other good RPG's are there like it (bar the obvious ones like Persona 5) on the PS Vita, PS4 right now?

Well Trails of Cold Steel 2 follows on directly from the first game. I'd say if you enjoyed it it's pretty much essential.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cina wrote: »
    2 - What other good RPG's are there like it (bar the obvious ones like Persona 5) on the PS Vita, PS4 right now?

Tokyo Xanadu ex+ and Ys VIII, ex is only on ps4 and has extra content over the vita version.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

SMT Strange Journey and Radiant Historia are two of my favourite rpgs. I just don't like how they changed a certain character's art for the 3DS version of Radiant Historia.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finished Tokyo Xanadu ex+ last night, what an awesome game!

Mine is still in its box, might be awhile till I get around to it after getting a Switch.

Xenji wrote: »
    Mine is still in its box, might be awhile till I get around to it after getting a Switch.

:eek:

You slipping Xenji, if this two years ago or so you'd have finished it ages ago :p

Playing Yakuza 0 at the moment but I might get Tokyo Xanadu next. Got into Falcom games last year with the trail in the sky games and a modern day game from them sounds great.

• Advertisement

Playing Yakuza 0 at the moment but I might get Tokyo Xanadu next. Got into Falcom games last year with the trail in the sky games and a modern day game from them sounds great.

If you loved trails you're gonna love this!

:eek:

You slipping Xenji, if this two years ago or so you'd have finished it ages ago :p

My backlog is getting worse by the month, at least with the Switch I can bring it with me when I am travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Persona 5 is basically crack cocaine. What a game. About 35 hours in since playing at the start of the year. Absolutely incredible.

Heard a lot of talk about it being a big let down after 3 and 4?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Heard a lot of talk about it being a big let down after 3 and 4?

In terms of pacing and characters I'd still say 4 is the beast but 5 is still very enjoyable.
    I think people forget how poorly paced P3 is.

I really enjoyed 3 when I played it again in P3P. Might have to do with the faster pace the game goes at but I also much preferred the story, it was a little less Scooby doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

It's my first entry into the Persona series so can't really comment on 3 or 4 but 5 is pretty much a perfect game for me right now.

I've not even started P5 despite somehow owning it twice on PS4

I preferred the story in P4 and found the characters more interesting and better fleshed out, not to say I did not enjoy P5 though, must be nearly 10 years since I last played P3, cannot remember much of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Persona 5 is that weird sort of game where it is indisputably improved in many areas - aesthetically and mechanically in particular - and yet feels like a decidedly inferior experience to its predecessors nonetheless. I think it’s the dogged allegiance to the established formula: it’s delivering diminishing returns, and just isn’t as fresh or surprising as it should be. Not to mention I have far less tolerance for games that take 20+ hours to properly open up these days :)

Advertisement