Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epsom Derby 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

They'll definitely run sir dragonet imo. He has derby all over his pedigree, his potential stud value is way too big for them not to run him. him and Broome will be their two biggest hopes I think

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Oh yeah Sir Dragonet is definitely running in the Derby. No chance they won’t go there with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Although Australia won the Derby, I have doubts over his progeny staying 1m4f. Therefore, I cant see Broome in the first four at Epsom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Although Australia won the Derby, I have doubts over his progeny staying 1m4f. Therefore, I cant see Broome in the first four at Epsom.

They shouldn't lack for stamina on the Sire side. Australia already has a stamina index as a sire of 10.4f and his first crop are only in the May of their 3yo careers. Which is no surprise given that he's a Derby winner by a Derby winner out of an Oaks winning mare.

Broome himself is another matter because he's out of an Acclamation mare. His dam Sweepstake an 8.5f winner in the USA produced a 1m 5f winner to Arch 9.1f, a 10 1/2f placed pair to Fastenet Rock 9.6f and Galileo 11.2f but also managed to produce a 5 and 6f winner when mated with Oasis Dream 7.6f.

Broome will stay but that doesn't mean that he won't be better suited to 10 rather than 12f. The Australias may be a little deceptive as regards how far the stay, they can come from behind with a hugely impressive burst of speed and then they tend to idle when they've the race won. There's no reason to think that they won't be equally effective at 12f as 10f and he's 2 winners from 8 over 12f with the 6 losers losing through lack of ability rather than lack of stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Thats a much more compelling argmuent than mine ☺.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Ballydoyle will keep loads of horses entered until the last minute.
    They will have their firm ground horse, heavy ground horse, 10f horse, 12f+ horse, pacemakers.
    No point in guessing until the entries are final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yer not listening to me lads, Japan wins the Derby! May not win the Dante though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

A dubawi will never win the derby

Broome was a bit disappointing today, he ran a lot like AVD by getting well on top in the final furlong. Couldn't have him for Epsom on that performance, because both Sovereign and Pythion made up 5 and 4L on him on their Ballysax runs against him. Bookies clipping him in to as low as 6/1 which is a miserable price IMO.

On to the Dante and here's hoping they all turn up for the King of the Derby Trials. Some strange stuff going on with Surfman a Kingman Colt trained by Roger Varian who won his last race by 14L being punted into 4/1 for the Dante. Things have come a long way since Too Darn Hot was all the rage for everything before he was withdrawn from the Guineas. Too Darn Hot is a best priced 9/2 for Epsom which will evaporate if he shows his well being in the Dante.

Broome races too lazily to be winning a Derby.

Nothing in the Dante I fancy for Epsom. I don’t believe TDH will stay and I don’t think Japan is all that tbh.

Fancy AvD as I’ve already mentioned but he’s too short now. Madhmoon got to be the one at the prices right now.

• Advertisement

Broome races too lazily to be winning a Derby.

Nothing in the Dante I fancy for Epsom. I don’t believe TDH will stay and I don’t think Japan is all that tbh.

Fancy AvD as I’ve already mentioned but he’s too short now. Madhmoon got to be the one at the prices right now.

Actually, only just clocked AvD is still 8s in places. That’s overpriced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Madhmoon got to be the one at the prices right now.

I can't have him at all. Have a look at Dawn Approach's attempt at the Derby. It went off around even money. The horse bolted and pulled for 7 f and was basically as good as pulled up coming down the hill. He finished last. Dawn Approach's mammy was a 6 f sprinter. The only chance Madhmoon has for the rest of the season is over a mile.

I hope Too Darn Hot bolts up in the Dante by a few lengths. Dubawi's have never won a Derby, but it will allow some value to come into Sir Dragonets price. Sir Dragonets win's the derby if he turns up. Staying machine. The only people talking his chance down is anyone trying to get on. I am putting my money where my mouth is here. Still no price about him for the Arc from Paddy Power or Boyles, they are literally not taking any bets. Were talking Antepost here.

If Too Darn Hot wins nicely in the Dante, the British Media alone will make him favourite. In fairness there is arguments on the dam side for him getting the trip. But my gut says that Dubawi's best trip is a mile to 10 furlongs. The only blip in that theory in the last few years is Postponed who did win group 1's over 12 furlongs.

Fair enough, very valid points. You can’t be a slave to pedigree though. I think Madhmoon is crying out for 10 furlongs and that will probably be his best trip but I think he’ll get 12. I can’t have TDH at all myself, he looks like an out and out miler.

Sir Dragonet obviously has a massive chance but I just think his price is gone now, he can win at that price.

I've laid Sir Dragonet (3.6/1) and Too Darn Hot (4.63/1) for the English Derby, and anything else that comes into a ridiculously short price will get the same treatment. :)

Fair enough, very valid points. You can’t be a slave to pedigree though. I think Madhmoon is crying out for 10 furlongs and that will probably be his best trip but I think he’ll get 12. I can’t have TDH at all myself, he looks like an out and out miler.

Sir Dragonet obviously has a massive chance but I just think his price is gone now, he can win at that price.

Madhmoon is definitely crying out for 10f and the firmer the ground the better for him. He was doing his best work at the end of the Guineas where he finished a hd behind the stand side winner Skardu. ( held up in touch, ridden and every chance over 2f out, outpaced over 1f out, ran on inside final furlong, 2nd of 16 in group ) If the stand side had won that day he'd be seen as a Guineas winning class horse being stepped up to the Derby with the best 2019 form coming into the Derby.

As a 2yo he only ever raced over a mile a distance at which he ate Broome for breakfast and passed by that G1 placed 2yo and dual Derby Trial winner with an ease that said he could have beaten him by 5 lengths if he'd wanted too. In behind that day were 3 future G1 placed 2yos.

Madhmoon's greatest problem isn't the trip at Epsom, it's the competition. The likes of Sir Dragonet and Too Darn Hot or whatever finishes close up in the Dante promise to make it a very high class Derby. A crap Derby would be well within Madhmoon's scope but this ain't a crap Derby and he's well short of having a Derby winning type pedigree. He's a very worthy outsider with much higher class form than he's been given credit for.

His sire Dawn Approach's best stats are for when his stock move up in distance, somewhat surprising given his own Epsom run. He is however transmitting his own sire New Approach's DNA as well as his own. In fairness to Dawn Approach his Derby Run should have a line put through it. He was simply too lit up that day to do himself justice, but the genome test did indicate that he couldn't win a Derby.

I don't know why people are doubting Too Darn Hot's staying ability. He made his 2yo Debut over 1m, he races like a horse who's tapped for toe and then finishes like a rocket when his stamina kicks in near the end of a race. He ran all over AVD in the Dewhurst and has more stamina credentials than that horse who is one of the favourites for the Derby. He's one of 3 full siblings ( Dubawi X Dar Re Mi ), their dam the Singspiel mare Dar Re Mi was a multiple Gp1 12f winner.

Lah Ti Dar won a 12f Listed race by 10L, stayed on into 2nd pulling away from high class 12f horses such as Old Persian ( G1 12f winner by Dubawi ) and Epsom Derby 2nd Dee Ex Bee ( who won at 2m this year ) in a vintage St Leger

So Mi Dar never ran over 12f but was very high class over 10f and in the 10f Prix De L'Opera the race comments say ( Took keen hold early, held up in touch on inner, driven and not quicken 2f out, not clear run and angled out approaching final 1 1/2f, began to stay on approaching 1f out, kept on well final furlong but not pace to reel in front two )

The Dewhurst is a good trial for the Derby. Of the few that have tried the double there's the winners New Approach', Sir Percy, Dr Devious, Generous etc. Plus Gosden is a bit of a genius at producing Derby Winners via the Dante.

I’m not sure if TDH is getting tapped for toe, think it’s more down to greenness perhaps. He is absolutely rapid to my eye. Race like the Dewhurst I don’t think the others were stopping, TDH is quickening away from them. I’d have serious reservations about him at Epsom. The Dante will tell us more.

I would be careful about Madhmoon in the English Derby.
    Dawn Approach did not stay the 12f, and we were told before the race he is an Equinome C.C and about 8f would be his distance limit.

What about Madhmoon's dam, Aaraas, as a source of stamina that would help Madhmoon get the tough 12f Epsom course?
    Her one win was at 6f as a 2yo.
    It is difficult to know what was her best distance as she only won that 6f race out of 13 runs.
    She tried 12f once (sft/hvy) and was 9th of 10 beaten 23 lengths.
    The best run by Aaraas was probably 2nd in the 10f Blue Wind Stakes Group 3 at Naas (gd/yld) but that had only 6 runners and the time was 13.14s above standard "2nd 2f out and soon ridden, kept on same pace under pressure final furlong without really troubling winner".
    A 3yo+ maiden on the same card was run in a time 0.04 slower, the horses in the maiden carrying 10+ pounds more.
    That tells me Aaraas had difficulty getting 10f in a slowly run race, and my guess is she is also a C.C.
    Her dam Adaala won at 9f but was 11/11 at 10f. A C.C horse has a maximum staying distance of 10f.
    For an example of a C.C that was great at 8f but bombed at 10f look up Toronado, who ran in the same year (and races) as Dawn Approach.

Madhmoon is entered in the Irish 2000 Guineas and St James Palace Stakes, both 8f, and I guess that is his distance.
    He is probably a C.C.
    He has not run beyond 8f yet.

Had a few bob on Too Darn Hot for the Derby today before he runs as a short priced favourite in the Dante. If he wins tomorrow he'll probably be 6/4 for the Derby by tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

same

if you fancy him you may back him now, if he doesnt trot up here and contract in price, he wont be winning a derby

Too Darn Hot is a short price for the Dante, 1.99 on Betfair (odds on).
    There are too many imponderables to support an odds on price.

His last three runs were at 7f, today is 10f 56y.
    He has not run for 215 days.
    He was injured, missed his main target, and his second main target is the Derby, not today's race.
    There are three Galileo colts (they won at 8f, 9f, 10f), and one by Australia (he won at 7f) in the eight runners, two others have won at 10f this year, and the remaining horse is Too Darn Hot's pacemaker.
    His six opposition have stamina as their long suit, and will try to test him.
    On thing in his favour is the ground is good/firm.

I put a few Euro on Japan at 11s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

How could you a back Japan with this drift on him? Don't think it'll be winning today anyway and I'd say the lads at Ballydoyle know that

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

PP have a market on who Ryan Moore will ride. I think they were giving 15/8 about AVD. Would have made him more of an even money shot tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Think 9/1 Japan looks massive myself, likely more caused by strength behind a few others and doubt most at Ballydoyle are particularly interested in the betting value of a horse in a race such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Andrew00 wrote: »
    How could you a back Japan with this drift on him? Don't think it'll be winning today anyway and I'd say the lads at Ballydoyle know that
    I wouldn't be afraid of a Ballydoyle horse drifting from 4's to 8's. The short priced ones just before the off on the other hand, I wouldn't touch....

John Gosden has mentioned other races for Too Darn Hot, and it looks like he is out of the English Derby.
    I got very lucky, was watching the wrong TV channel, then I switched to ITV4, the horses were in the stall for the Dante, and seconds later they were running.

The auld Derby market is in turmoil.

John Gosden has mentioned other races for Too Darn Hot, and it looks like he is out of the English Derby.
    I got very lucky, was watching the wrong TV channel, then I switched to ITV4, the horses were in the stall for the Dante, and seconds later they were running.

The auld Derby market is in turmoil.

The 2 market leaders aren't even entered in the Derby and there's no knowing what ones of O'Brien's will have improved by Derby week. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Happy enough with that run from Japan. Going by the drift you'd have to think he was only 50% ready. Another few furlongs and a drop of rain and he'll be there or thereabouts.

I've had a small bet on Circus Maximus, the Dee Stakes winner, at 36+.
    He is by Galileo out of a 115 rated mare who won at 8f four times in Group/Listed.
    He has 2 wins from 5 starts, and is entered in the English Derby.

1st race: hampered and finished 5th of 23
    2nd race:won a maiden 8f heavy
    3rd race: 3rd in the Autumn Stakes 8f good/firm behind Persian King (French 2000 Guineas winner 2019) and Magna Grecia (English 2000 Guineas winner 2019)
    4th race: 4th beaten 1 length behind Magna Grecia 8f Group 1 good/soft
    5th race (2019): won the Dee Stakes (Listed) at Chester by 1 1/4 lengths

Of course he is not a certain runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

AOB suggesting Sir Dragonet may go to Chantilly instead of Epsom in interview at Naas there. Nothing decided yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It sounds like the pre Derby waffle season has begun in earnest...

I can't see Mr. Magnier not sending his best chance to Epsom. The French Derby is only over 10 1/2 f, it doesn't make any sense.

Advertisement