Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epsom Derby 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Would really fancy Japan for the Irish derby on the back of that run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Can't wait to back Madhmoon wherever he goes next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Would really fancy Japan for the Irish derby on the back of that run
    Not sure, looks a bit slow, would like him in Leger but given amount of staying types Coolmore have this year be hard to know what gets aimed at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Can't wait to back Madhmoon wherever he goes next time

He ran brilliant. I am genuinely shocked by the run, I didn't think he would get the trip at all. Chris Hayes looks gutted.

I would go to Sandown for the Eclipse with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

The Dyke and Madhmoon. C’mooon.

Nice forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Madhmoon over 1m2f in the Eclipse would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

A smashing piece of entertainment, the winner ( looked like he could tighten up again ) and Broome impressed me most. 2yo group form to the fore today and John Gosden had TDH sitting at home, the twit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

readysetgo wrote: »
    99/1 double on Van Dyck and anytime goalscorer Van Dijk.
    Sometimes the stars align... €10 that I have to throw on my faith in fate.

Sound for this I never even noticed it. Threw a tenner on it and have half the place here on it as well.

Van dijk header 90th minute I'll be in the nude

Watching the race again, Madhmoon traveled better than anything into the race he'll be a serious bet at Sandown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Sound for this I never even noticed it. Threw a tenner on it and have half the place here on it as well.

@AftertimeAnsell

• Advertisement

Watching the race again, Madhmoon traveled better than anything into the race he'll be a serious bet at Sandown

Been trying to work out what it all means, the form, and it's pretty dire. The winner ran to about OR 117-118, the next 3 were within 3/4L of the winner putting them on OR 115-116. That's probably officially the worst Derby form of the modern era. Trainers of the older horses won't be afraid to take on this bunch.

A bit of juice in the ground at the Curragh should sort out the pecking order between this bunch. Would like to see Sir Dragonet again with a bit of give in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

My general conclusion would be that they're all relatively average. Madhmoon could come into his own over 10f but it's not a vintage crop of 3yos on available evidence.

Angliru wrote: »

It's a tenner mate.. **** me like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

It's a tenner mate.. **** me like.

Enough for you to still aftertime though...

Angliru wrote: »
    Enough for you to still aftertime though...

Couldn't give a **** tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When reading through the form and breeding today, if there were two horses that I thought were place lays, the two were Sir Dragonet and Madhmoon. For Madhmoon to come within a half length of winning the Derby was extraordinary. When stepped back in trip, surely Madhmoon is a serious, serious player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When reading through the form and breeding today, if there were two horses that I thought were place lays, the two were Sir Dragonet and Madhmoon. For Madhmoon to come within a half length of winning the Derby was extraordinary. When stepped back in trip, surely Madhmoon is a serious, serious player.
    Here's some anti-after-timing in case anyone gets angst. Here's what I wrote about the winner to a friend.

Anthony Van Dyck - Interesting contender. The youngest horse in the race by far, born May 19th. Not only the youngest horse in the race, but also the one with the most runs under its belt (8). Having a lot of runs previously is a negative statistically. Recent decent form for its Derby trial puts it at odds with breeding for me (surely having Exceed and Excel on the damsire side disqualifies it from ever winning a Derby?). Just too many question marks on this one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Though Broome was given a stinking ride. If he held onto him later he would nearly have won. Made a big move as the race was hitting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

tryfix wrote: »
    A smashing piece of entertainment, the winner ( looked like he could tighten up again ) and Broome impressed me most. 2yo group form to the fore today and John Gosden had TDH sitting at home, the twit.

Too Darn Hot had no chance of winning this he's no stamina

Too Darn Hot had no chance of winning this he's no stamina

That'd be the same TDH that kept on and finished 4L clear of Japan and co in the Dante despite his trainer John Gosden stating that he was only 85% fit that day. The same TDH that got outpaced in his 2yo races before eating up the fields as stamina came into play.

The same TDH who's a full brother to last year's St Leger 2nd Lah Ti Dar, the same TDH whose mother Dar Re Mi was an Arc standard 12f Gp1 winner by the noted stamina influence Singspiel out of the top class mare Darara a 12f G1 Prix Vermeille winner by the noted stamina influence Topville.

The same TDH who has a Dosage Index of 0.75, that TDH.

Beware of trainer BS, like listen, he has so much speed, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

That'd be the same TDH that kept on and finished 4L clear of Japan and co in the Dante despite his trainer John Gosden stating that he was only 85% fit that day. The same TDH that got outpaced in his 2yo races before eating up the fields as stamina came into play.

The same TDH who's a full brother to last year's St Leger 2nd Lah Ti Dar, the same TDH whose mother Dar Re Mi was an Arc standard 12f Gp1 winner by the noted stamina influence Singspiel out of the top class mare Darara a 12f G1 Prix Vermeille winner by the noted stamina influence Topville.

The same TDH who has a Dosage Index of 0.75, that TDH.

Beware of trainer BS, like listen, he has so much speed, etc etc.

He looked fast though over 10f that day at York, wouldn’t of won today.

:o
    madmoose wrote: »
    He looked fast though over 10f that day at York, wouldn’t of won today.
    Showing a turn of foot and staying on when supposedly 85% fit isn't not staying. He sure as hell didn't look overly fast in the Irish 2,000 Guineas when staying on.

He's bred to be a 12f horse despite Gosden's protestations about his lack of stamina and none of his races have ( not at peak in Dante ) shown the truth of any doubts about his stamina.

In the Dante beat Derby 3rd 4L, beat Derby winner by 4L in Dewhurst etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

:o
    Showing a turn of foot and staying on when supposedly 85% fit isn't not staying. He sure as hello didn't look overly fast in the Irish 2,000 Guineas when staying on.

He's bred to be a 12f horse despite Gosden's protestations about his lack of stamina and none of his races have ( not at peak in Dante ) shown the truth of any doubts about his stamina.

In the Dante beat Derby 3rd 4L, beat Derby winner by 4L in Dewhurst etc.

Maybe his best trip is 10f and i wonder if he goes the Eclipse? I think skipping Ascot could be a benefit.

Maybe his best trip is 10f and i wonder if he goes the Eclipse? I think skipping Ascot could be a benefit.

Wherever he goes I hope he bounces back to near his 2yo form. He might even thrive at Ascot track over the mile, the English Champion stakes over 10f in October on easier ground would seem to be a good target for him if he comes up short again over a mile. For some reason those Dubawis seem to struggle a bit at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Kauto wrote:
    Though Broome was given a stinking ride. If he held onto him later he would nearly have won. Made a big move as the race was hitting up.

Looking back at it again, with the overhead camera on itv, a great addition, I think Broome is the one to take out of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

10f is his trip. You'll never see him over 1m4f again.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

pity it didnt work out. for a crap game it was worth the tenner for the excitement and hope at every liverpool corner.
    Virgil a thoroughbred horse of a man. The FAI could do worse for the future of irish football than Ryanair him over here and put him to stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

5 horses finished within a length at finish probably a substandard renewal though the winner finished well . No hard luck stories yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I thought Japan the one to take out of it. I know I keep banging on about him.

But he drifted from 10s to 20s on the day. That's massive. Not an ounce of confidence behind him. They clearly thought he needed the run after a rushed preparation. He's a serious horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Slattsy wrote: »
    I thought Japan the one to take out of it. I know I keep banging on about him.

But he drifted from 10s to 20s on the day. That's massive. Not an ounce of confidence behind him. They clearly thought he needed the run after a rushed preparation. He's a serious horse.

Have to agree with that , he was finishing well and looked like he needed a run , was very highly rated early on and must have had a setback.

Advertisement