Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epsom Derby 2019

Options
  • 06-05-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Well the 2,000 Guineas is safely out of the way and it's now time to ponder a presently very open Derby.

Latest best odds.

Magna Grecia 6/1

Too Darn Hot. 6/1

Japan 7/1

Broome 10/1

Dubai Warrior. 14/1

Anthony Van Dyck 14/1

Bangkok. 16/1

Madhmoon. 16/1

Quorto. 16/1

UAE Jewel. 20/1

Slalom. 20/1

Mount Everest. 20/1

Al Hilalee. 20/1

Line Of Duty. 20/1

Cap Francais. 25/1

Telecaster. 25/1

Surfman. 25/1

Cape Of Good Hope. 25/1

Technician. 33/1

King Ottaker. 33/1

Sovereign. 33/1

Norway. 33/1

Circus Maximus. 33/1

Eagles By Day. 33/1

First off, Gosden or O'Brien are usually the most likely winning trainers with Charlie Appleby up there with them. The Dante is the best guide to whichever of the English horses might win.

Can't see Magna Grecia heading to Epsom, his next two races have been pencilled in as the Irish 2,000 and St James Palace Stakes.

Too Darn Hot would be an ideal type if he gets there. I'll back him in a flash if he turns up there.

Japan is a no for me personally on pedigree, it's a family that sells for millions but there are doubts over that family being truly effective over 12f . His full sibling Secret Gesture was 2nd in the Oaks and his full brother Sir Isaac Newton was best at 1m to 10f so to my mind it's a big probability that the family are best at 10f and Japan won't be at his best over a fast run 12f at Epsom. Japan goes for the Derrinstown.

Broome is a good solid unfashionable type who has already shown his well being with a very impressive Ballysax win. He's a definite for the short list.

Bangkok is another son of Australia who's been making headlines, his form so far simply isn't good enough and his price is also too short given his form. I could see him trying to lift his form to new heights in the Dante.

Of O'Brien's legions it's hard to sort them out because the sickness in his stable last year meant that we didn't see his 2018 2yos at their best. I'm a big fan of Cape Of Good Hope who has some improving to do but already looks to be a top four finisher on stamina alone. Norway was hugely impressive in the Zetland before flopping in France he could contract in price spectacularly if he wins the Chester Vase which I think he will do.

My old buddy Madhmoon looks a bit light on pedigree to win the Derby but his running in the Guineas points to him having an excellent chance at Epsom. One worth a nibble but only at a big price.

Line Of Duty is likely to have plenty of supporters on this forum and so he should. AVD will stay but his ability and well-being need to be proven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Was keen on Mount Everest but he was ruled out today.

Looks wide open, would be great if TDH rocked up

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Anthony van Dyck.

Actually, why wasn’t AvD in the Guineas ?? Had every right to be in it I’d have thought. Could well have gone close (well, draw permitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

When he was taken out of the 2000 Guineas I had a bet on Line Of Duty for the English Derby.
    Line Of Duty ... 22.38 ...€150.00 ... €3,206.93

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Couldn't have Line of Duty
    Couldn't trust it Fellah...........

(See what I did there....wha wha!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

On Japan antepost but Sir Dragonet looked impressive there. Could be a good un.

Every year the same trials, and each trial has a winner, a few impressive.
    I think I will wait for the final declarations before I bet again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Slattsy wrote: »
    On Japan antepost but Sir Dragonet looked impressive there. Could be a good un.

Looks a monster. Some of the pundits tried to talk it down, but he looks the biz. The ground was on the soft side but I wouldn't stop anyone backing him. Very impressive. Stuffed them all by 8 lengths, pushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Loved that performance from Sir Dragonet. It's an OR 116+ performance in my book with it taking about 120 to win a Derby. Love the breeding for a Classic.

If anyone but Ryan Moore rides him he's a great price at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Super impressive IMO and will surely be supplemented.

Quite reminiscent of Golden Fleece I thought for those who remember that one from the famous yard.

Around 5/1 now I see. I never back ante post but that is sorely testing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Obviously shows nothing at home.
    14/1 winner at Tipperary on his debut and 13/2 today with Moore riding the shorter priced Norway. Saves it all for the track!

Sir Dragonet is 5/1 or less for the English Derby with all bookmakers, and he is not entered in the race.
    He could win the Derby.
    Only two of the six runners today had won a Listed race, none had won a Group race.
    Sir Dragonet's sire, Camelot, won the Derby, and Sir Dragonet's second dam, All Too Beautiful, second in the English Oaks, is a full sibling of Galileo, who also won the Derby.
    The ground will be quicker at Epsom, the field twice the size and better quality.
    My guess is IF the horse runs at Epsom he will be at least 5/1 on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Looks a monster. Some of the pundits tried to talk it down, but he looks the biz. The ground was on the soft side but I wouldn't stop anyone backing him. Very impressive. Stuffed them all by 8 lengths, pushed out.

Very impressed by that run

Sir Dragonet is 5/1 or less for the English Derby with all bookmakers, and he is not entered in the race.
    He could win the Derby.
    Only two of the six runners today had won a Listed race, none had won a Group race.
    Sir Dragonet's sire, Camelot, won the Derby, and Sir Dragonet's second dam, All Too Beautiful, second in the English Oaks, is a full sibling of Galileo, who also won the Derby.
    The ground will be quicker at Epsom, the field twice the size and better quality.

My guess is IF the horse runs at Epsom he will be at least 5/1 on the day.

The form is probably rock solid.

The 2nd Norway OR 104 was given an 8L 12lb beating , Norway had finished 4L second in a Gp1 on his previous run.

The 3rd Dashing Willoughby OR 102 was given an 8 3/4L 13lb beating. Dashing Willoughby finished 6 1/2L behind the 2,000 Guineas winner Magna Grecia in the Gp1 Racing Post Trophy.

The 4th King Ottaker OR 106 was given a 13 1/4L 20lb beating, he finished 8L behind Magna Grecia in the Racing Post Trophy.

The 5th Technician OR 105 was given a 14 1/2L 22lb beating, he had finished 1 1/4L second in the Gp3 Sandown Classic behind one of the current Derby favourites.

The 6th Arthur Kitt OR 109 was given a 15 1/2L 23lb beating, he had finished 10L behind the Epsom Derby Trial winner Cape Of Good Hope last time. He had also finished a 2 1/2L 4th behind Line Of Duty in the Gp1 Juvenile Turf, as well as finishing a 4L 2nd to Champion Juvenile Too Darn Hot in a Gp2 race.

Sir Dragonet beat the stuffing out of all those 100+ rated Gp1 tried horses in the manner of a horse who had plenty left in the locker. Maybe Coolmore have better at home, but this lad has a right to improve again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He's 33/1 generally for the Arc, Ante Post, although not priced up by some of the main street shops yet. I reckon they're ****ting bricks. Bet 365 only 20 /1.

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/international/prix-de-larc-de-triomphe-2019/winner

When he wins the 2 Derby's and the King George and the St leger/ Arc debate starts I know what I am doing. If you give me a price for next summers's gold cup I am on as well.

In saying all that I am waiting until the morning of the Epsom Derby to get on. All it takes is one setback and he's out. Yeats, St Nicholas Abbey both spring to mind as Derby favourites who never made the race.

Rating are fine but often ratings are earned by being beaten.

2/7 Norway won a maiden and a Listed. previously 5/10; 3/13; 1/9; 1/6; 4/9;
    3/7 Dashing Willoughby won a maiden. previously 1/6; 2/7; 8/11; 2/9;
    4/7 King Ottokar won a novice stakes and a conditions stakes. previously 1/13; 9/11; 1/9;
    5/7 Technician won a novice stakes. previously 3/13; 1/6; 2/6;
    6/7 Arthur Kitt won a novice stakes and a Listed. previously 1/9; 1/11; 2/6; 5/7; 4/14; 5/7;
    7/7 Kaloor won a novice stakes. previously 1/12; 3/9;

He beat (well) two horses who won Listed races, one horse who won a conditions stakes, two houses who won novice stakes, one horse who won a maiden.
    Sir Dragonet has all the 12f classic ingredients in his pedigree.
    Yesterday he beat horses who have been beaten before in Group races.
    It was good/soft ground, and it seldom is good/soft at Epsom.
    If he is supplemented he will be meeting horses who have won Group races.

How does the time of the race compare to previous Chester Vase times?
    2:42.9 is 28th out of 38 times on the Chester Vase Wiki page.
    The ground was good/soft

I know the ground was good/soft for the Chester Vase.

The Chester Vase is 1m 4f 63y. The English Derby is 1m 4f 6y
    Sir Dragonet ran the Chester Vase in 2:42.91 which is equivalent to 2:39.5 at the Derby distance i.e. at a 57 yards shorter distance.
    But the Derby field has a 134 foot hill to climb, while Chester is pancake flat on the banks of the river Dee.
    The question is can Sir Dragonet run quickly on faster ground over a more difficult course.
    Standard time for 1m4f63y at Chester is 2:34 .... 12.53 secs a furlong
    Standard time for 1m4f6y at Epsom is 2:35 ....... 12.88 secs a furlong

Would 2:39.5 win the English Derby, the pace at which Sir Dragonet won the Chester Vase?

It did for these 7 horses in the last 50 years. The other 43 races were faster.

2016…Harzand……………..…….….2:40.09
    2013…Ruler Of The World….…..2:39.06
    2002…High Chaparral……….…...2:39.45
    1984…Secreto……………..….…...2:39.12
    1983…Teenoso……………..………..2:49.07
    1981…Shergar……………..…….…..2:44.21
    1969…Blakeney……….……..….…..2:40.3

Sir Dragonet won his first race on yielding/soft, 1m4f100y in 2:55.89
    and improved to win the 1m4f63y Chester Vase in 2:42.91
    My concern would be he is unproven on good ground or faster than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

My concern is semi ground related. He seemed to find the first few furlongs plenty fast enough, maybe inexperience, but I'd be a bit worried that he'd be taken off his feet. If the jockey can keep his head and do a Golden Fleece on it, that would be the trick.

Japan going for the Dante now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Mon the Japs

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Japan going for the Dante now

That's a fascinating choice for Japan, he'll be up against the best of the British Derby type horses and given his own potential stallion value it seems a risky enough strategy in that he could meet something special there that would give him a good hiding.

O'Brien's normal route to winning the Derby is 2,000 Guineas, Chester Vase, or Derrinstown.

Broome Broome :pac:

Japan sounds no where near ready anyway I wouldn't back him with stolen money in the Dante

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Japan sounds no where near ready anyway I wouldn't back him with stolen money in the Dante

He's got a better chance of winning the Dante than the Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Anthony van Dyck won the Lingfield trial. Not for me based on that performance.

Anthony van Dyck won the Lingfield trial. Not for me based on that performance.

On that performance quotes of 5/1 are silly, but he settled the stamina argument and I suppose people are taking his 2yo form and taking him as a proven G1 performer who needed the step up in trip and he's a very likely runner unlike Sir Dragonet.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him winning the Derby but he'd want to be a much bigger price than he is now to be worth nibbling at. He'll drift out pretty soon as the Derrinstown and Dante winners throw up some more serious challengers on form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

tryfix wrote: »
    On that performance quotes of 5/1 are silly, but he settled the stamina argument and I suppose people are taking his 2yo form and taking him as a proven G1 performer who needed the step up in trip and he's a very likely runner unlike Sir Dragonet.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him winning the Derby but he'd want to be a much bigger price than he is now to be worth nibbling at. He'll drift out pretty soon as the Derrinstown and Dante winners throw up some more serious challengers on form.

If you were a bookie would you be giving big prices about any AOB runners? I know I wouldn't. Seems like people on this forum consider anything single digits unbackable.

If you were a bookie would you be giving big prices about any AOB runners? I know I wouldn't. Seems like people on this forum consider anything single digits unbackable.

Well the bookies probably love all the jumping on the multiple O'Brien Trial winners when people get over excited by seeing the stable and pedigrees vs the probability of the particular trial winner winning at Epsom. John Gosden has spanked Coolmore arse a few times in the Derby in recent years and Godolphin did it last year while the likes of Wings Of Eagles shows the difficulty in picking the right Coolmore runner in the Derby.

Let's look at what AVD achieved today. He won a trial that hasn't produced a Derby Winner in 21 years. He beat a 97 OR horse 2 1/4L with an OR 101 Nate The Great in 3rd being given a 4L or 6lb beating. That a sub 110 performance by a horse rated 118 and the bookies are offering a price of 5/1 for the Derby, that's taking the pee!

Considering AvD missed the Guineas and went off 2s I’m gonna say it’s quite possible he had a hold up so I’d say there’s plenty of improvement in him.

I wasn’t as blown away by Sir Dragonet as many were. It was impressive but he strikes me as more of an Irish Derby or Leger type, I wouldn’t be mad about him for Epsom tbh.

Every trial winner is being offered at 5/1.
    That makes sense as the number of trials is multiples of that.

• Advertisement

Considering AvD missed the Guineas and went off 2s I’m gonna say it’s quite possible he had a hold up so I’d say there’s plenty of improvement in him.

I wasn’t as blown away by Sir Dragonet as many were. It was impressive but he strikes me as more of an Irish Derby or Leger type, I wouldn’t be mad about him for Epsom tbh.

AVD just proved today that he's on track to run at Epsom, whether he improves massively from the run is anyone's guess.

The problem with Sir Dragonet is whether he'll run or not. He's not entered so if they have faith in a few more of their runners he probably won't get there. For me he has the X factor, Donnacha had any amount of horse under him in the Vase. If he gets to run at Epsom I'll be backing him.

Advertisement