Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epsom Derby 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Spencer on Norway is definitely getting a fiver ew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The bookies are looking around scratching their heads. Ladbrokes are best priced at 3's for Sir Dragonet backers. Foooooooking Ryan Moore though, not ideal.

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/the-derby/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

If ever I saw a false favourite for the derby it's sir dragonet. I've layed it ante post and will continue to lay until it drifts out significantly.

For one it's 2 wins were on soft.

I don't really follow stats on normal weekday or weekend racing but you'd be foolish to ignore stats on big races. 10/12 winners had a least 3 runs before the derby as opposed to sir dragonets 2.

But my main reason reason to oppose sir dragonet is I feel the horse is over exposed. With 2 runs you say ? Well if you look back through many of the derbys, the winners kept their cards close to their chest, e.g Australia had 4 runs from 7f to 1m before running and winning the derby over 1m4f.
    Camelot 3 runs over 1m before running and winning the derby.
    Harzand, 3 runs upto 1m2f
    Authorized, 3 runs from 1m to 1m2f

Sir dragonet has run 2 times and over 1m4f already.

There are many in the derby holding back that little something. I doubt Sir dragonet will even be placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

SonOfGoat wrote: »
    If ever I saw a false favourite for the derby it's sir dragonet. I've layed it ante post and will continue to lay until it drifts out significantly.

For one it's 2 wins were on soft.

I don't really follow stats on normal weekday or weekend racing but you'd be foolish to ignore stats on big races. 10/12 winners had a least 3 runs before the derby as opposed to sir dragonets 2.

But my main reason reason to oppose sir dragonet is I feel the horse is over exposed. With 2 runs you say ? Well if you look back through many of the derbys, the winners kept their cards close to their chest, e.g Australia had 4 runs from 7f to 1m before running and winning the derby over 1m4f.
    Camelot 3 runs over 1m before running and winning the derby.
    Harzand, 3 runs upto 1m2f
    Authorized, 3 runs from 1m to 1m2f

Sir dragonet has run 2 times and over 1m4f already.

There are many in the derby holding back that little something. I doubt Sir dragonet will even be placed.

That is one very strange way of looking at it. All the horses you mentioned had at least some doubt about staying the 12 furlongs, and of course you can say that of most 3 yr olds in May. This fella we know stays it. If ground is fast I'd be a bit worried alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

SonOfGoat wrote: »

You'd also be foolish to ignore the fact that one of the two that won with less than 3 runs was trained by Aidan O'Brien and also won the Chester Vase in his Derby prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Poor old Michael Hussey getting zero reward for all his hard work

Riding at Navan I'd say. Not too bad if he can grab a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

It's a real pity that Grevile Starkey Moore is going to be on Sir Dragonet, but he's in reasonable form this weather and the horse itself has a jet engined finish.

Looking forward to seeing Sir Dragonet giving them a 3L+ beating.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The Racing Post Predictor says
    1. Anthony Van Dyck 7/1
    2. Sir Dragonet 5/2
    3. Line Of Duty 25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

tryfix wrote: »
    It's a real pity that Grevile Starkey Moore is going to be on Sir Dragonet, but he's in reasonable form this weather and the horse itself has a jet engined finish.

Looking forward to seeing Sir Dragonet giving them a 3L+ beating.:)

Agree.

And also have a feeling if Ryan messes this up it could be the final straw for the lads. Oisin Murphy to come in next year as No 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Id be worried enough that Sir Dragonet does the same as he did in Chester and doesnt have the tactical pace to lie up with them in the early stages.

I suppose if this happens Ryan will get the blame for being too far back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Id be worried enough that Sir Dragonet does the same as he did in Chester and doesnt have the tactical pace to lie up with them in the early stages.

if the horse does not win it is definitely Ryan's fault, these are the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I thought Donnacha took a pull on him leaving the gates, wouldn't be a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Slattsy wrote: »
    I thought Donnacha took a pull on him leaving the gates, wouldn't be a worry.

My worry is that they crawled around in Chester and he had to be niggled and woken up a few times by Donnacha. If that happens in Epsom he will find it tough enough they will be going a fair bit quicker than they did at Chester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Just realised Surfman is not running in the Derby, 202 Euro for no run, put the bet on only three days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Who do ye all fancy for the French Derby on Sunday? Persian King has done nothing wrong so far in his career but it's a good field and he'll have his work cut out

Left it too late to be backing Sir Dragonet at his current price even though I think he's going to blow them all away tomorrow. So I had a bet on Telecaster to uphold the Dante's fine record in the Derby, also had a nibble on Line Of Duty because he's a better horse than he showed in the Dante and he must be pleasing them again to even be running in the race ( would have done Madhmoon but someone on here posted that the rumors are that he's not in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

If you think he’s going to win back him.

BumperD wrote: »
    I agree, never change your mind is usually my motto. I'll be happy enough to see him win anyway and with Moore's form getting stuck into him at a shortish price might be a right sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

He should only be backed if you think he is value at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Back the price not the horse. Betting 101 that is.

• Advertisement

Donnacha’s last Derby, dya reckon the old man’s shneakily put him on the winner? Winner on the son of one of the brother’s winners. Ha. I am very much looking forward to this Derby.

Donnacha’s last Derby, dya reckon the old man’s shneakily put him on the winner? Winner on the son of one of the brother’s winners. Ha. I am very much looking forward to this Derby.
    Would love to see it :pac: Hoping too that these Australias are going to be the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Have to admit I was all on the Norway bandwagon , but looking at the trials , broom is probably value and should be fav .

Still backing Norway anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Hathiq will fly the gate tomorrow and blitz them in the dash, in a double with sir dragonet 9/2and 100/30 and maybe a cheeky treble with JoBs Cava in the 4.00 Mussleburgh stepping up in trip and should have a listed added to its form but for finding trouble in Navan.

Moore has a serious book of rides tomorrow and could have great chance of 5 for 5 but for such a tricky track and his predilection for finding trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I wouldn't be surprised if its Seamies last Derby too. Nobody would begrudge him one of the big one. Van Dyck FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Exactly. That’s bull. It’s not like he’s odds on or anything

aidankkk wrote: »
    He should only be backed if you think he is value at the price.

He’s value imo

Back the price not the horse. Betting 101 that is.

Looks value to me but each to their own 101

Looks value to me but each to their own 101

No that’s fair enough. I didn’t mean to be a pr*ck.

• Advertisement

No that’s fair enough. I didn’t mean to be a pr*ck.

No worries at all.

Advertisement