Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

Sadly, unless Plant has mallets on the end of his arms, I think he can forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah he has to knock him out or he loses. Doesn't matter if he wins every round because they'll give the win to Canelo.

It still really burns me seeing two losses on GGG's record as he won both those fights.

I certainly won't be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I had fight 1 to GGG, but I really don't think he deserved fight 2. I thought he was very ordinary fight 2, and let Canelo dictate and control throughout

Post edited by walshb on

Well it's pointless getting into an argument with you so I'll just let you think what you want.

Facts are that out of the 19 media outlets who scored the fight, ten gave the win to GGG, eight called it a draw and one gave it to Canelo.

Hardly an argument. I just did not see such a strong case for fight 2 for GGG, regardless of media outlets. I thought Canelo was the better man that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭squinn2912

i thought GGG got a lot of credit for taking canelo’s best shots and walking forward. From a scoring point of view Canelo needs to get that I think even if I don’t like him. Wasn’t it the second fight GGG took the huge left hook? That’s a big scoring point for Canelo people seem to use it as a reason for GGG to have won the fight. Two close fights, I thought GGG got robbed in the first and the second was very close, the argument for Canelo isn’t ridiculous by any stretch

Well when only one out of 19 media outlets give him the win then it is ridiculous unless you think all the respected boxing media sites are bad.

well I didn’t say nor imply that. Lots of wafer thin rounds. Overall landed shots favour GGG and power shots favour canelo. Those expert sites do hold some clout in the argument too. Most reading I’ve done after the fight seem to suggest that none are overly confident in saying individual rounds went one way or another. Very close. So for those reasons arriving at a Canelo victory isn’t ridiculous in my opinion. I thought GGG first fight and second I thought draw at the time. If you want to furnish me with links to breakdowns I’ll read them, watch the fight again and happily change my mind if I feel

its right to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

I’d need to rewatch them to be sure but my memory was GGG the first fight and the second fight be very close.

This media outlet angle. Who cares? The fight was very competitive. Anyone crying foul or robbery in fight 2 is ridiculously off the mark.

Canelo landed cleaner more effective shots throughout, as well as being more in control of the tempo and flow of the fight.

GGG looked always a step too slow.

• Advertisement

Plant 167 and Canelo 168

Either your memory is playing tricks on you or you haven't a clue how to score a fight.

No memory playing tricks:

I scored it for Canelo. 8-4 if I recall.

And I do recall you were quite salty with the verdict, so maybe that’s why you’re a little wound up here…

bit odd, to say the least!

I'm always calm. My scores are trained. If you go back and read my verdict of that fight I gave rounds to Canelo because of his power work even though GGG scored more and I gave rounds to GGG where Canelo hit the bigger shots but clearly got outworked.

There is never any bias in my scoring. And I've judged many amateur fights, I was trained from a young age to be a judge.

I get annoyed when it's clear it's crooked. Unfortunately that's happened too often.

Well, you can’t seem to accept some others scored for Canelo with your implying them clueless about how to score a professional boxing match.

Post edited by walshb on

Yes, if you scored it as a win for Canelo then you haven't a clue how to score rounds. As I said at the time it was pretty clear cut. I could maybe understand two rounds being switched in Canelo's due to his power shots but that would have made it a draw. No chance you could give him any more than six rounds. And if you gave him both those rounds then you really are clueless anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Butson

This thread is about upcoming fights.

Hard to see past Canelo tonight but I like Plant. Too many others roll out the red carpet for Canelo, and Plant is right.

Canelo is a drug cheat and his trainer has serious questions to answer on Valdez.

Plant has gotten under his skin, which probably won't end well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lemangio

Does anybody know why BT box office are charging the equivalent of €23.31 to UK viewers and €29.99 to their Irish viewers?

Insulting the irish boxing supporters. Sky increased the HD package for Irish sky subscribers last week. British subscribers HD package is a non event as HD is standard these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

What time are we expecting ring walks?

4.30-5am?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Plant has a dodgy gas tank. Reckon he'll have to go through absolute hell late on in order to see the final bell.

1-0 Plant

Plant’s shots are like gentle raindrops hitting Canelo

Canelo turning the screw now. Plant kind of surviving

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Some load of belts! 😁

Why cant i bet on anything that does work out?! Canelo is so much better than anyone else in the division that it’s boring. Will he fight GGG a third time to get a ko victory over him on his record?

Quite a tame fight overall. Canelo looked quite ordinary throughout.

Woodhall had Plant ahead at stoppage time, and Plant was basically walking backwards all night making 0 impact on Canelo with his shots.

Canelo should go straight to Beterbiev and Bivol and really test himself.

I like Canelo, but he seems to be getting bit too OTT adulated.

Apart from GGG win, which many think he lost, he hasn’t beaten anyone all that good the last while.

Saunders, Smith, and that chap Eubanks hammered….oh, and a washed up Kovalev

I don’t think Froch was too far off the mark when he said he would have beaten Canelo

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Butson

Plant is a good boxer, needs to develop more power in his shots.

He will improve a lot from that.

I think Benevidez gives Canelo lots of bother.

Advertisement