Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Where are you reading this?

Edit: Sorry reading it now. Conlan clearing talking out of his behind.

He is a mouth, his confidence far outweighs his ability.

Shouting for Doheny in this one, not a huge fan of him as a fighter but he has always been a straight up kinda fella, zero bullsh*t.

Conlan is 100% looking to gain an advantage here for sure, only wants to go to 122lbs for a title fight, its pretty cheeky, the lad has done damn all to warrant the catch weight treatment.

Actually fancy Doheny to give him hell at 122lbs over 10 rounds to be honest, even an over the hill TJ. The cannot crack an egg line gave me a good chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conlon and TR **** scared of losing the 0, either will fight Doheny at 126 or bring in some can if he walks.

Wouldn't blame him for walking either bringing this shite in on fight week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

How good is Doheny? I don't think I've ever seen him box. I've seen enough of Conlan to know he's very ordinary, in fact I watched him box at a sold out Odessy arena and the place was absolutely jumping.. buy the time the Conlan fight was over the crowd had fallen asleep and were looking for the exits.

I'd be expecting a Conlan decision here, he holds all the cards so I can't see Doheny get a decision unless there are some knockdowns, or he manages to stop Conlan...

He is ordinary enough although has been in with better opposition. Conlan would want to be beating TJ Doheny convincingly if he is going anywhere in the pro game.

Both guys have a common opponent in Ionut Baluta, who beat Doheny by UD, Conlan beat him by MD in a very scrappy affair. Baluta also KO'd David Oliver Joyce in between these bouts if my memory serves me correctly.

My guess is Conlan is having a really hard time getting to 122lbs and only really wants to do so for a title fight.

This nonsense of interim titles at catchweights is a load of balls, Catchweights are for prize fights where belts are irrelevant in my opinion. You want a ranking, title shot etc... fight at the proper weight.

He wants a FW ranking, but also wants his title shot at SB? Load of rubbish.

Tell it like it is, he wants to fight a washed up SB (former belt holder) at FW at the last minute. Be completely transparent about it. He talks a big game with Top Rank behind him.

Doheny won't walk away regardless as i'd say its a good payday for him, but fair play to him for pointing out this nonsense that always seems to go on with these A-side fighters who talk big, but insecurity sees them look for even more of an edge than they have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

Seems the Conlan fight is on anyway with both weighing in approx 124. I'm gonna miss this tomorrow night which is a shame. Few fighters I'd like to see on the card. Hopefully I can catch up on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Unfortunately unlike Frampton and most other top level pros from the North, Conlon has no appreciation of the history of Belfast fight nights.

It's virtually impossible to explain how much of an escape boxing was from the troubles of the 70s and 80s. As someone who has sparred in 2 different clubs in Belfast (all my actual bouts as an amateur were in England) and attended amateur and professional shows there in the 1980s, in my experience an unwritten rule of no hint of politics/ sectarianism/ religious beliefs was never broken. The one safe place in a Belfast war zone was a boxing show. I was there when 2 honest lads from opposite sides (Sam Storey and Rocky McGrattigan if I remember correctly) went toe to toe for 10 brutal rounds for the Irish middleweight title. Not so much of a murmur of a sectarian slur despite the backgrounds of the 2 sets of fans.

It's beyond disappointing that Conlon has alienated half of the Belfast fight fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Better choice of walk-on music tonight!

Maybe someone has had a word with him.

Conlans style is terrible, still fighting that amateur style 100%.

So feather fisted he will get badly roughed up when he steps up to world level.

About time Foster called it, Conlan has landed 3 or 4 low blows.

His lack of power is so apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Better performance from Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Definitely his best performance to date even if TJ is a bit washed. Controlled the fight from the start really.

Expecting them to go all-in on the 126 route now that Leigh Wood is likely to be elevated to super champion. Ideal opportunity for Mick to win a legit world title.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mate mine thinks he is technically one of the best he has seen....

I have no idea what he is watching. I find him very unconventional and disjointed.

Hopefully he actually steps up next and fights someone, but I wouldn't hold my breath. We could be still here next year with him fighting nobodies.

Doheny did okay, but he is both very basic, and clearly past his best. Anyone with any type of decent offense (and not just power) would have gotten him out there last night when hurt.

Another Conlan fight that can't really tell anything......fair few rds were quite tight...

122 must be an absolute killer for MC to make. Wouldn't be surprised they look for a soft 126 title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Great stuff from Kellie Harrington this morning. She seems well able to deal with any style.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

She should fight Conlan next and slap him around the place 😄 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was she fortunate?

i'm not a boxing-head, so maybe those of you more clued up could enlighten me, but she did seem to be doing a lot of holding esp in the last round😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

That second round by her was a masterclass. We knew she only needed one Judge out of 5 in the last round so im sure her team weren't far off that thinking either.

So the holding was to stop the other doing anything it was tactics to drag out the round and hold onto the win.

It was a very very closely fought fight. I scored it 30-27 to Kellie, but each rd was very close, and I would have no issues with any scores for either girl. Rd 2 I think was tough to go against Kellie, but a 29-28 Brazilian win would not have been incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was one of the best performances i've seen in a while- i'm not just saying that because she is Irish. She showed lovely skill to box off the back foot, pick off her opponent at times, and make her miss a fair bit in round two and three . It was a credit to her fitness too that she did not wilt under the constant pressure. She did hold a bit towards the end, but all boxers do it when they get tired. I don't blame her at all for that. She seems to be a lovely person too. She deserves everything that is coming her way off the back of this achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Agree with above post. Watched it twice now and still in awe at how she controlled the fight against what i think we need to remind ourselves was a formidable opponent.

Amy Broadhurst will be hoping otherwise but I think we'll see Kellie stay on for Paris and try to achieve what no Irish athlete has done, achieve a double gold. Unless some amazing pro offer comes along, I'm pretty confident that will be her goal.

She showed me what I was hoping, and what I believe she needed, and what a very good boxer should have....versatility/adaptability.

Front foot, back foot, side foot. Aggression, long range and mid range. She mixed it up all the time.

She was forced to box, fight, and rough it up by a very strong and aggressive foe, and Kellie stood up to it and used everything she had to win.

The game is quite pro oriented, so you need to be a fighter and a boxer....a stylist/purist and a brawler. Kellie needed to earn that win, create the win, the chances, the scores....and she did...

• Advertisement

The Oscar De La Hoya v Victor Belfort fight is off, Oscar is in hospital with covid.... Holyfield rumoured to be taking the fight instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Did anyone see the Warrington Lara rematch. Pity it ended the way it did. I don’t think Warrington looked to have much to trouble Lara and I’d blame him for diving in with the head anywhere at all. His tactics were better and he was keeping compact but I think Lara’s assault on the body would have created openings and then he’d get the power shots off. Lara looked a much improved boxer too in the little bit I saw. I think. Another late stoppage for Lara. The third fight would likely be around Christmas or into the New Year. I don’t see an improved Warrington for that.

From the two rds I saw, Lara very likely knocks Warrington out mid to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Herring V Stevenson this weekend

Part 1

Part 2.

What do you think? id love Herring to win but think Stevenson will be too quick and hungrier.

Shakur too sharp and has better feet, as well as faster with hands.....can dig a bit to the body as well.

As I thought, Shakur too sharp, fast and varied for Herring.

Shakur looked like a southpaw Mayweather. Similar shot selection and sharpness and execution.

I’d make him a clear favorite to beat Valdez.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ideally both would lose, but alas that can't happen. I know he is young, but have been hugely unimpressed by Fury anytime I seen him and looking at the cans that were fed to him, arguably Paul is his toughest opponent so far.

Fury if is anyway serious this needs to be winning this dominantly which he should. but I'm not as convinced as I was when this fight was floated initially.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1454169554523934722

Both are muck. So fair fight!

What we thinking on Plant/Canelo this week?

I see Leonard Ellerbe is picking Canelo.

He makes some good points. Plant is a very good solid boxer, and Canelo has lost several rds vs a shot Kovalev, and a powder puff Saunders, who only for quitting, might have won a few more rds

I am picking Canelo, but Plant has the skills and size/range to at least be somewhat competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Good test and I think Plant will make him really work for it but I see a Canelo win late stoppage or unanimous decision.

Advertisement