Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Nal wrote: »
    Nice to see Dubois win last night. Huge fight for him.

Agreed, Dinu is not exactly a killer, but their was probably much easier options out their for him and he won easily. Can't ask for more.

I was very unimpressed with Tommy Fury though, struggled against a nobody. He is young, but jury very much out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,630 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Agreed, Dinu is not exactly a killer, but their was probably much easier options out their for him and he won easily. Can't ask for more.

I was very unimpressed with Tommy Fury though, struggled against a nobody. He is young, but jury very much out.

The jury on Fury was never out..

He’s domestic level at best.

walshb wrote: »
    The jury on Fury was never out..

He’s domestic level at best.

Yeah that's fair enough.

I think he can probably make plenty of money beating hyped up journeyman though and he goes home to Molly Mae so its not a hard life.

The dream for him will be a fight v Paul, it would be a ****show but he'd be set for life where to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Harrington and Michaela Walsh won their semi finals.
    Aidan Walsh and O'Rourke were well beaten by their British opponents.

Emmet Brennan boxes off for a place in Tokyo this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Brennan got through his box off so we have 7 headed to Tokyo

• Advertisement

Brennan got through his box off so we have 7 headed to Tokyo

It’s quite a good haul..

And for me, it has saved my Olympics..

Gives me something to follow/watch..

Getting it in now, for the casuals: no boxer at all guaranteed anything. Not even a single win. Boxing at the Olympics is very competitive. Our team will earn anything and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anyone watching Ritson Ponce? Turning into a barnstormer

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Ritson Ponce? Turning into a barnstormer

You missed it lads! Cracking fight

You missed it lads! Cracking fight

You having a nice conversation with yourself, lad?!😜

You having a nice conversation with yourself, lad?!😜

Only way to gain some proper insight on here, dude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Was a quality fight. Ponce got a well deserved stoppage. He's some output, he never stopped. Maybe it's that Ritson has found his level. I thought the ref was wrong in letting it continue after the towel beging thrown in. I didn't see any after fight interviews , I wonder what his reasoning was behind it. Ritson being on home soil, giving him every chance etc? He didn't take massive punishment but bar giving him a round or two , it was certainly over as a competitive contest at that point imo. What are the plans.....Josh next?

volono wrote: »
    Was a quality fight. Ponce got a well deserved stoppage. He's some output, he never stopped. Maybe it's that Ritson has found his level. I thought the ref was wrong in letting it continue after the towel beging thrown in. I didn't see any after fight interviews , I wonder what his reasoning was behind it. Ritson being on home soil, giving him every chance etc? He didn't take massive punishment but bar giving him a round or two , it was certainly over as a competitive contest at that point imo. What are the plans.....Josh next?

I agree with this. Ref was saying it was because it was body punches which I don’t think makes much difference. Ritson was still crumpled over in his changing rooms. He was finished
    He did well to withstand in R1. He’s found his level it’s a bit general but South American’s so often seem to be a bit untidy but hard as nails and keep coming

I agree with this. Ref was saying it was because it was body punches which I don’t think makes much difference. Ritson was still crumpled over in his changing rooms. He was finished
    He did well to withstand in R1. He’s found his level it’s a bit general but South American’s so often seem to be a bit untidy but hard as nails and keep coming

I watched it in the background and it was a gruelling fight for Ritson, I think once the towel is thrown in it should be stopped instantly, no need to be cute when it comes to protecting the health of fighters.

I watched it in the background and it was a gruelling fight for Ritson, I think once the towel is thrown in it should be stopped instantly, no need to be cute when it comes to protecting the health of fighters.

I agree. He’d looked more and more helpless as it wore on. There wasn’t a big shot thrown and it wasn’t in him. Very bad decision totally against the grain of where the fight was going

But you cannot take away that authority from the most important person, the referee. He/she has to have the call. Can’t have trainers and referees and doctors all with equal authority..

The referee is number 1..

It’s a very responsible and tough and thankless job at times. Damned if they do damned if they don’t..

Last night, it was not the referee wanting to prolong a boxer’s suffering..

The referee was closest to the action, and in his view, Ritson was still competing and firing back..

The referee simply made a call that at the time the towel came in, he did not believe it warranted the fight to be stopped. There is no right or wrong. He made a professional call. These calls must be allowed and the referee has to be respected to make them.

Plus, the referee is not watching who is throwing a towel in. He is concentrating on the boxers. So, what is to stop anyone close to the ring from throwing a towel in. The referee cannot expect to have to stop ALL towel throw ins.

Same way you can’t expect a referee to stop every fight should someone jump into the ring calling for a stoppage..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Plus, the referee is not watching who is throwing a towel in. He is concentrating on the boxers. So, what is to stop anyone close to the ring from throwing a towel in. The referee cannot expect to have to stop ALL towel throw ins.

Surely there was a shout from his corner to stop the fight as well? I can’t imagine they threw the towel into the ring in silence. Thought it was strange reffing myself and would like to hear the refs side of it although we probably never will.

Surely there was a shout from his corner to stop the fight as well? I can’t imagine they threw the towel into the ring in silence. Thought it was strange reffing myself and would like to hear the refs side of it although we probably never will.

Towel, shout, jump in..whatever!!

The referee is the person with the overall authority. And that is right!

The referee’s side is basic and straightforward.

He did not believe that the fight needed to be stopped (when towel came in) due to Ritson being in serious danger..he believed that Ritson was still competing, punching, and capable..

A wee while later, the referee saw enough and stopped it. His call. His professional call.

My personal view: I would not have argued had he stopped it when towel came in. But I also don’t believe it was wrong what he did. There is no right wrong calls a lot of the time. At the towel throw in time, the ref made a call to ignore it. I respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Towel, shout, jump in..whatever!!

The referee is the person with the overall authority. And that is right!

The referee’s side is basic and straightforward.

He did not believe that the fight needed to be stopped (when towel came in) due to Ritson being in serious danger..he believed that Ritson was still competing, punching, and capable..

A wee while later, the referee saw enough and stopped it. His call. His professional call.

My personal view: I would not have argued had he stopped it when towel came in. But I also don’t believe it was wrong what he did. There is no right wrong calls a lot of the time. At the towel throw in time, the ref made a call to ignore it. I respect that.

I dunno I feel like the ref should have acknowledged the call, if the corner told him between rounds they didn’t want their fighter to keep going he’d stop the fight. Not sure why it should be any different when they do it mid round.

I dunno I feel like the ref should have acknowledged the call, if the corner told him between rounds they didn’t want their fighter to keep going he’d stop the fight. Not sure why it should be any different when they do it mid round.

But there is a difference..

Anyway, it’s a moot point: the referee is the person that stops a fight.

They don’t always get it “right.” But they have to have that power/authority/call

I don’t think that anyone is disputing that the referee should have absolute authority. But when he’s seen that for 10 rounds AND the towel comes in, AND Ritson goes down a second time then surely his decision warrants severe criticism. There were two more than just a bit compelling reasons for him to stop the fight and he only did it when Ritson wasn’t fit to stand. He shouldn’t have allowed it to go that long. The issue here is that a sportsman’s well-being was put at too much risk, not who should make the call. An otherwise good referee made a very big mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Totally agree with the ref having the final decision etc , sure isn't that the reason he's employed to be in the middle with the fighters in the first place!!! Your getting a bit pedantic about it there "Walshb". In the coverage of the fight Ritson's corner before the start of the 10th told him "1 more round to show us" or they where going to pull him out. As it happens , they felt he was taking too much punishment during the 10th and threw the towel. I can see it both ways but like I said in a previous post , in this particular instance, the ref would have known the contest was over competitively at that stage and accepted the corners towel, so as to save further punishment.

volono wrote: »
    Totally agree with the ref having the final decision etc , sure isn't that the reason he's employed to be in the middle with the fighters in the first place!!! Your getting a bit pedantic about it there "Walshb". In the coverage of the fight Ritson's corner before the start of the 10th told him "1 more round to show us" or they where going to pull him out. As it happens , they felt he was taking too much punishment during the 10th and threw the towel. I can see it both ways but like I said in a previous post , in this particular instance, the ref would have known the contest was over competitively at that stage and accepted the corners towel, so as to save further punishment.

I'll have to watch the fight back....

The overall point I was making was simple: Referees call off fights, and that is the way it should be....

Not every towel thrown in warrants/deserves for a fight to be stopped....

Hence I wouldn't be overly critical of referees who exercise their right to stop the fight when they deem it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Butson

The Teo Lopez fight this weekend postponed till Aug 14. Covid!

Undercard moved to Aug 14 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

The Teo Lopez fight this weekend postponed till Aug 14. Covid!

Undercard moved to Aug 14 as well.

Terrible for Jono Carroll.

He recently lost one of his twins and the other is still in hospital since being born, id say it was a big decision accepting this in the first place and going through 6-8 week camp (half of which was in Mexico) to find out a few days before it was all for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

fitzparker wrote: »
    Terrible for Jono Carroll.

He recently lost one of his twins and the other is still in hospital since being born, id say it was a big decision accepting this in the first place and going through 6-8 week camp (half of which was in Mexico) to find out a few days before it was all for nothing

I was talking to him he's gutted but not to bad and says it is what it is. He's always been a positive person no matter what, back to Spain to see his family and straight back into camp.

ASOT wrote: »
    I was talking to him he's gutted but not to bad and says it is what it is. He's always been a positive person no matter what, back to Spain to see his family and straight back into camp.

Glad to hear that he’s doing ok it’s very sad news. Hopefully the other wee twin pulls through

Anyone getting up for the Inoue fight? Does anyone know the approx ring walk time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Anyone getting up for the Inoue fight? Does anyone know the approx ring walk time?

I think I read 3am, could be wrong but.

The UFC will be just finished then as that's on early so if it's 3am I'll watch it, any later and it'll be a tomorrow job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

I've a bet on Dogboe and Esparza to both win tonight if it lands ill be going on a nice holiday hahah

Advertisement