Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

He’s just a master. Porter fought a good fight tonight but he just wasn’t going to have the tools to put a real dent on Bud.

Did you watch the interviews there? Porter’s dad was very hard on him. He didn’t really have much of an answer when he was pressed on where the preparation needs to be better.

Spence Jr leaving isn’t a great sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Good effort from porter, after watching that, i expect crawford to beat spence and move up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Terence is pure quality. But he stopped a clearly past it Porter. Porter was at about 70 percent of his peak.

Crawford likely beats a prime Porter as well.

Yep I agree. That high pressure game is for a younger man. Porter never had great punch power or didnt really plant his feet enough to be hurtful. Trojan effort and he gave Bud a workout but just that. Was it Andre Ward on commentary? I couldn’t hear too well. He seemed to only see what Porter was doing well despite Crawford masterfully turning the screw the entire fight. The body assault just took that timing off Porter and slowed him a bit to get that lovely uppercut in. Prime Porter is likely a points win for Bud very similar to the Spence fight, in 2 years he’s lost that fraction.

I’m not so sure Spence has made a full recovery from his car crash in spite of the win against Garcia. There’s the retina issue too. He was kinda chasing the Pac fight - bit of a cop out. What took him to the fight if he was going to sneak away without a word? I’ve always been a big fan but that craic turns me off. Way I see it now is that Crawford is the man. He might well stop Spence Jr in the mid rounds. I thought until now that fight was a total 50-50 and it might still be but there’s only one man who wants that action and that’s a big indication.

I’ve always felt that Bud beats Spence.

Spence is a fantastic boxer-puncher-slugger. He can do it all.

Bud is the same.

the difference is that Spence is more linear/predictable in his game.

Bud has more randomness/variance and adaptability. I think he can dictate how the fight goes more than Spence can.

• Advertisement

Aye. I dunno I had it in my head that Spence would be too big for him. Looking now it amazes me that Bud was ever able to make lower weights. I suppose you get more moving up and down at that type of weight. One thing is that Bud’s reach wouldn’t count for as much against Spence. I agree that Bud can mix it up so well and he’s perhaps a more brutal finisher but then he’s been cleaning out the likes of Brook or Kahn that Spence ran over a few years ago in prime in the case of Brook. I think if Spence is at himself it’s a toss up but it really looks like he doesn’t want it. Reminds me a bit of Bowe Lewis. I think Bowe was well fit to beat him but he didn’t feel confident himself to do it.

Probably biggest ever fight that didn’t happen that absolutely should have was Bowe/Lewis circa 1993!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's mental to think that Porter fought, nevermind best Usyk as amateurs.

I think Eubank-Liam Williams Dec bout is off. Sure I saw something mentioning Williams injured!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah I think he hurt his hand on Friday.

Eubank onto him saying he knew he'd bottle it.

Didn't he himself pull out of a fight with his shoulder?

• Advertisement

so Porter retired too and was gonna do that all along. Bud met him on the best night he could have. I was right about Ward it seems but there’s no way in holy heaven Porter was up on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thing is Porter was on top early and looked great but Bud reads what's going on and changes it up to make it better for him. Two simple things, going to the body hard which eventually slowed Porter down and switching to southpaw which meant he could catch Porter coming in. That's intelligence in the ring that's pretty rare, we know he has the skills and the power but having that intelligence is what makes him the best in the game.

I must say, Kenny Porter was way out of line with his public dissing of his son right after he got stopped.

And his dissing made no sense. Shawn was quite competitive up until the stoppage.

Kenny was angry, and couldn’t contain it, and showed no respect for his son.

Post edited by walshb on

I agree and couldn’t believe it at the time. He’s not as good as he once was and he gave it a hell of a go for 9 rounds with a pound4pound fighter. Surely he could have kept that or some of that for private. Porter’s face just fell at that moment. As I was saying earlier when he was pressed on the point about the lack of preparation he had precious little to offer by way of explanation. I wonder what he wasn’t happy about. I think Porter handled himself with dignity throughout. It was so strange the way he was hammering the canvass and when he did get up the towel came in. But the end was coming so it was fairly smart corner work. Have seen many worse cases being allowed to go on but hardly against that level of opponent and ending well.

Wee bit more explanation here but it was very raw right after the fight. For the second KD Bud was able to essentially just pick his shot and Porter wasn’t really defending himself. He may have thrown a punch had it been allowed to continue but Bud would have slipped it and unloaded on him. Very difficult decision but probably the right one.

https://youtu.be/W2t6D8SpBTQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The Quigley fight reminded me of Russell's demolition of Pajo Hyland in a fight I was meant to go to but mercifully didnt! While that wasnt really a shock I had thought Quigley would last longer but effectively he wasnt allowed to start. Afterwards it was confirmed that Andrade had broken Quigley's jaw in the first so it was never going to go on longer.

Having seen Andrade in action with his awkward style and strength this was definitely a step up but in this era boxers can now talk themselves on to the world stage. Keeler lasted longer than Quigley too. Not sure where Quigley goes from here. Down to light middle? Picked the wrong fight to stay up for!

Watched back the Crawford fight and it was absorbing and one would have loved to be at. I've seen Crawford a few times and it was always enjoyable as he is basically an animal who preys on his victims. Long reach, meanness, changing stances effortlessly and you could see him going up the gears here with those vicious body attacks.

But always have been a fan of Porter as he fought everybody, is a good analyst and glad to see him get out with good coin and his marbles. Durable strong and a former two time Champion his legacy is cemented.

Initial reaction was his dad pulled him too early but it was the right call in hindsight. However the interview senior gave after was uncalled for as he was in the gym with Shawn as his trainer so slagging off his preparations was bang out of order. And yet again we see the father-son dynamics in this great sport. The body language and the deference to senior at play reminds me of Roy Jones' demeanour when his dad is mentioned.

It was a good night for boxing as there were 2 great Champions in there at that elite level and no animosity.

That’s a really well put together summery of the fights. There was a matter of time feel about the fight but I expected Bud to take over the initiative and win comfortably rather than stop Porter. His choice and range of punching is fantastic. Going to the body was a great tactic.

Spence was happy enough to catch Porter but he had little ambition to go for the KO when he got the KD. Bud is a killer and as you say an animal, but a very intelligent and skilled one.

Sr really could have brought himself to congratulate his son on a fantastic career where he fought in divisions jammed with brilliant fighters and he gave a P4P fighter who might well go down to be an all time great a really good contest when he was just off his prime. I think that was lousy and more about the me than the he.

Both fighters oozed class throughout. Bud goading a little bit but nothing too unsavoury.

One strange thing was that Porter said twice he’d love a rematch and then retired in his post fight press conference. I’d say his corner told him a rematch wouldn’t go at all well.

Go way ouha that

Only for the broken jaw it was in the bag for J!

Tank Davis meets Isaac Cruz December 5 @135. Should be a barnburner. Cruz can punch, but I expect Tank to be too accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Well now, that was a big shock overnight. Very well done by Kambosos, I thought he won quite clearly.

Teo’s corner was absolutely terrible all night. His dad kept telling him he won rounds he lost, no wonder he thinks he won the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Brilliant performance from Kambosos. Beautiful all-round boxing. Superbly consistent jab, beautifully-timed counters, lovely head movement and judgment of distance. I saw him beat Selby and thought there was a bit to him, as Selby is an awkward customer, but his skills last night were at a higher level again.

I totally agree about the cornerwork. At the end of the first, Lopez was told to relax, calm down (correctly), but then straight after 'finish this motherf*cker, what the f*ck is going on'. Completely conflicting advise. Lopez should get rid of his overly emotional father asap. The calm, precise instructions in the other corner was textbook cornerwork in my opinion.

Having said all that, it was a terrific fight, well worth catching for anybody who hasn't seen it.

Delighted Teo lost. Him and the old man are a new kind of asshole.

Very closely fought competitive fight. Teo getting and deserving credit for aggression and pressure, and George for countering.

Fulton/Figuerero at 122 lbs another very good scrap..

I’d say they all be queuing up to fight George now. I see Ryan Garcia already wanting his next fight to be George, and Haney calling for unified fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Brook V Khan announced for Feb 19th in Manchester.

only about 6 years too late

PPV as well.....too washed up has-beens.

Two clowns. It’s not even a good fight any more. I don’t really think either could get through a 12 rounder with a good opponent. Loser bound to retire if both don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Final payout of both their careers, it will be sold as a "10 year in the making grudge match"

Just thinking back - Kahn’s stupidity has provided countless humourous moments over the years but perhaps my favourite is from Brook. I will never forget the look Spence Jr gave him when he told him he had a chocolate brownie for him.

Battle of the quitters: will it be Khan from an innocuous punch in the tummy, or Brook from an itchy eye?!

• Advertisement

Another huge step up Dec 11 for Conor Benn as he takes on the great Chris Algieri!!!

Advertisement