Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Final preview:

Colin and TJ Reid are crucial to Ballyhale while this may appear obvious the only game Colin missed all year was Shamrocks loss to O'Loughlins and it's also the only game they've failed to register a goal in (conceded 2). Colin is where most of their attacks start, plan is put the ball into Colin at the edge of the square and work off that. He's so strong that even if he doesn't win the ball he can hold it up long enough for the support to arrive which isn't too bad either;) This is their main mode of attack but thats not to say they can't mix it anyway you want with TJ drifting out to the half forward line and plucking ball out of the sky. Eoin Cody and Reid in particular provide a brilliant foil for Colin and TJ to farm ball out too and their class enough to exploit the opportunities their given. Richie Reid and Joey Holden along with Darren Mullen provide a safe spine if you try take them on through the sky. Their defence is where they can be exploited and I don't think they have the class or they haven't got back to the level they were previously playing at on this end of the field. Paddy Mullen while big and talented is also rash and seems lazy or not fit enough and should have seen the line long before he did against the Village. If the ref has his eyes open he'll be in big trouble against a running Boro team. The way the Boro play they like to run the ball through defences and this is Ballyhales Achilles heal they don't cope well with it. The Village could and should have won by running at them. Ballyhale should be alive to it but what can they do to stop the Boro's big strong runners, I know what they should do but they haven't done it in any games I've seen. The Ballyhale game plan is we'll score more than you no matter what you score and they have the forwards to do it. I think we're in for a Titanic battle as I think the Boro have had the best defence in the county this year. Evan Cody should be strong enough to stop Colin going crazy altogether he's physically very strong. The half backline of Ollie Walsh, Buckley and Tom Kenny would serve most counties very well. Ollie gives great forward momentum and is growing into the roll of a defender and has now cut out the silly mistakes. We all know what Buckley brings to a game and people may point to Eoin O'Shea getting 6 points of him the last day but Buckley did exactly what he was asked to do and a bit more as he has done all year. Tom Kenny is probably one of the most under rated hurlers in the county and from what I've heard he's one of the very few in county training that keeps TJ quiet. Aidan Nolan will be a massive loss for the Boro but I think they have the bench to deal with it you have Oisin Gough as a straight replacement or you could move a few things around and put in Conor Doheny who is one of the classiest wing backs in the county, reads the game so well and thunders into tackles, nothing phases him either. The direct running of Shane Stapelton, Liam Moore and AN Other will cause serious issues for the Shamrocks defence. Bill Sheehan inside will take Joey on a tour of Nowlan Park or pick up plenty of ball. While the Boro have no star forwards like Colin or TJ they all chip in and the Boro have racked up some serious scores by the end of most games.

A close one but I think the Boro's defence can hold Ballyhale enough and cause enough trouble down the other end to get over the line just.

I know, I know I'm totally biased but I have to be.

Does your wife know that you fancy Dicksboro that much.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

"Tom Kenny is probably one of the most under rated hurlers in the county and from what I've heard he's one of the very few in county training that keeps TJ quiet."

This line is probably my favourite. One of, if not the greatest hurler Kilkenny has ever produced just casually wrote off

Jesus. Kenny was marking TJ out in Callan in 2018.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30872603.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Grats

citykat wrote: »

TJ is very hard to pin down for 60 minutes at either club or county level. I'm sure young Kenny has improved and matured as a hurler since 2018 and I'd wish him the best for Sunday.

BTW, are you positive he marked TJ in 2018. Certainly the link you provided doesn't back up your assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭brookville

A big weekend in store for the 4 teams involved.It doesn't feel like theres a final unless your from the competing clubs.The junior then the following week should finish the club campaign.Alot of enjoyable matches and and I was grateful to watch it online.
    I don't know if pat carroll is back for lisdowney but they are hard working team who have introduced young players and wont be a push over but thomastown like the past few intermediate champions have being knocking on the door and tasted final defeat last year and I think that the hurt and experience will stand to them and should get them over the line.They have good scoring fowards but they have chopped there backs a few times and the last day freshford exposed a few weaknesses in defence lisdowney will try target this.
    Ballyhale are rightly favourites but the boro are a coming force and have a good panel.the village showed how to hurt the shamrocks.they used their pace but didnt take all their chances and we all know you have to take your chances against a team like ballyhale.
    The few match ups could go a long way to deciding this.While its impossible hold tj,colin is nearly as dangerous.He is nearly impossible to stop and is so direct.If he doesn't score he will win frees and penalties.it will be intresting to see how evan cody goes on him.Tom kenny could pick up tj but would he follow him into the full back line? Boro need to try cut out the good ball going in but easier said than done
    I think the boro are better than they were a few years ago and are steadily improving.
    It's hard to go against the shamrocks giving the spine of the team and the experience they possess but it wouldnt shock me if the boro pulled it off.Tg4 are showing the match hopefully it will be a cracker
    The junior the following week.Conahy have being the consistent team over the last few years but have being giving a few scares this year.Tom phelan was good the last day he has good pace.Conahy I feel need to get over the line this year cause you have tullogher and ballyragget along with teams like mooncoin it wont get any easier over the next few years.
    I actually fancy the boro tho and like the seniors they have a good panel. Paul flynn or arron Duggan would make most junior teams but are only subs.They have a great convenor belt and some very good young hurlers.I think o loughlins winning last year has giving them confidence and believe that they can win this competition.they are putting up big scores in most matches.They have only lost young moore to the seniors and I was told the junior panel is separate to the seniors so they can give it full attention.best of luck to all teams and officials.
    Will there be a club u20 championship?
    How are the county getting on back at training?is there anyone who wasnt called in earlier in the year now in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Village87

If the Boro put Buckley on TJ i would fear for the Boro chances. Will be interesting to see what the boro do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    If the Boro put Buckley on TJ i would fear for the Boro chances. Will be interesting to see what the boro do.

No chance the Boro will put Buckley on TJ as he is too loose. Kenny will most likely be given that job with Buckley left to sweep up and get on as many possessions possible to launch Boro attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Any word of Adrian Mullen lads? Is he likely to figure come end of October for county team? Is he on the Ballyhale panel?

Grats wrote: »
    TJ is very hard to pin down for 60 minutes at either club or county level. I'm sure young Kenny has improved and matured as a hurler since 2018 and I'd wish him the best for Sunday.

BTW, are you positive he marked TJ in 2018. Certainly the link you provided doesn't back up your assertion.

I was at the game so yeah I'm sure. It was even enough up to half time. In fact Bill Sheehan had the Shamrocks at sixes and sevens in the first half playing into the country end. It looked good for the Boro at half time bearing in mind TJs missed penalties. Then TJ came out and destroyed the Boro almost singlehandedly in the first 10 minutes of the second half. They moved Kenny way too long after the damage had been done. Game over after that.
    That's recent enough so I don't understand the confidence I'm hearing locally from the Boro camp. Personally I hope the Boro win at the weekend. I don't think another Ballyhale county final win would be good for hurling in Kilkenny atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

I was at the game so yeah I'm sure. It was even enough up to half time. In fact Bill Sheehan had the Shamrocks at sixes and sevens in the first half playing into the country end. It looked good for the Boro at half time bearing in mind TJs missed penalties. Then TJ came out and destroyed the Boro almost singlehandedly in the first 10 minutes of the second half. They moved Kenny way too long after the damage had been done. Game over after that.
    That's recent enough so I don't understand the confidence I'm hearing locally from the Boro camp. Personally I hope the Boro win at the weekend. I don't think another Ballyhale county final win would be good for hurling in Kilkenny atm.

Very strange remark that you think another Ballyhale win would not be good for hurling in Kilkenny? What's your evidence on that? I'm not a Ballyhale supporter but the best team wins it every year and if Ballyhale win it's up to every other club to get to their standard..

Fair enough regards your thoughts on that match in 2018. However, the Boro brigade have every right to be confident going into the final on Sunday. Their team have won all their matches, mostly well won. If the team doesn't t go into their final match with confidence they may as well stay at home! Should the Shamrocks do the three in a row, they'll be well deserving of it. As will the Boro if they prevent them from doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭JohnCougar

This confidence you speak of is not coming for the Boro team camp, it might be coming from so called bar stool gossips in Cleere's pub. The players believe they have a chance but they are not cocky or over confident.
    They will respect the Shamrocks but they wont fear them.

Grats wrote: »
    Fair enough regards your thoughts on that match in 2018. However, the Boro brigade have every right to be confident going into the final on Sunday. Their team have won all their matches, mostly well won. If the team doesn't t go into their final match with confidence they may as well stay at home! Should the Shamrocks do the three in a row, they'll be well deserving of it. As will the Boro if they prevent them from doing so.

I hope you are just as magnanimous to the Village when they win the U13 tomorrow.

JohnCougar wrote: »
    This confidence you speak of is not coming for the Boro team camp, it might be coming from so called bar stool gossips in Cleere's pub. The players believe they have a chance but they are not cocky or over confident.
    They will respect the Shamrocks but they wont fear them.

That's a terrible slur on the loyal customers of Cleeres, the vast majority of whom wouldn't know one end of a hurl from the other.

I hope you are just as magnanimous to the Village when they win the U13 tomorrow.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Well done to both teams for the great entertainment that was served up in nowlan park , Lisdowney never gave up enjoy the win hard luck Thomastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭kksaints

Have to admit I wouldn't know much about Lisdowney but fairplay to them for beating Thomastown and getting promoted to Senior. Are there any players on their panel that could make the county panel in the next few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

No.

Can't believe Lisdowney are a senior club. Incredible achievement and incredible bottle to do what they did in the second half of extra time.

Massive bottle job from Thomastown though. Had it won twice ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

That's a terrible slur on the loyal customers of Cleeres, the vast majority of whom wouldn't know one end of a hurl from the other.

The only one of them that knows anything about hurling is from Ballyhale.

No.

Can't believe Lisdowney are a senior club. Incredible achievement and incredible bottle to do what they did in the second half of extra time.

Massive bottle job from Thomastown though. Had it won twice ffs

Thomastown will be bitterly dissapointed.As you said they had it won twice.I thought the experience from last year would of stood to them cause infairness to lisdowney they have a young team and they also beat ballycallan a few weeks ago junior b or c.They are definitely putting in hard work and had a few good u21 teams but even the most optimistic lisdowney person would say they are a few years from winning but fair play to them I hope they go well.They are a really hard working team and have a couple of good club hurlers.
    Thomastown are like a few previous eventual winners.The rower,ballyragget and tullaron struggled for years and were told they hadn't got it in the belly when it came to it.Theres no doubt they have the players and fowards but are struggling to cross this line.its alot harder when your expected to win aswell.i would expect them to win one in the next few years but there making things hard on themselves.They really should of won that match.
    They should have the two minors from last year eligible for next year but the next few days and weeks will be raw

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

brookville wrote: »
    Thomastown will be bitterly dissapointed.As you said they had it won twice.I thought the experience from last year would of stood to them cause infairness to lisdowney they have a young team and they also beat ballycallan a few weeks ago junior b or c.They are definitely putting in hard work and had a few good u21 teams but even the most optimistic lisdowney person would say they are a few years from winning but fair play to them I hope they go well.They are a really hard working team and have a couple of good club hurlers.
    Thomastown are like a few previous eventual winners.The rower,ballyragget and tullaron struggled for years and were told they hadn't got it in the belly when it came to it.Theres no doubt they have the players and fowards but are struggling to cross this line.its alot harder when your expected to win aswell.i would expect them to win one in the next few years but there making things hard on themselves.They really should of won that match.
    They should have the two minors from last year eligible for next year but the next few days and weeks will be raw

The problem with losing a couple of intermediate finals it shortened the time you have as a senior club.You couldn't see either teams today lasting long senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Rarely if ever to I say anything negative about players or refs but msn were Thomastown so casual resulting in block after block. Their body language said it all. Not to mention some really sloppy tackling in the 2nd 1/2 & extra time & giving Lisdowney shooters tons of space. Terrible performance & bet by in inferior team who just wanted it more. Reminded me a little bit of KK's win over LK in the semi's. A. Tallis was sharp.

And on S.C. I don't think he'll ever see another IC championship match again unless the GAA's reservoir of top refs dries up even more than it already is. Terrible 1st half & only slightly better in the 2nd.

I'm a TTown fan but I don't have much good to say about them right now. Feel silly for having defended Jon Joe in the past.

No fan of having to finish on the day but it is what it is & congrats to Lisdowney though I think their time in senior will be brief, but who knows. Definitely not me.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Was very surprised to hear John Joe going up to take a penalty. Wouldn’t have put his strengths down as a dead ball striker (an excellent hurler from play). Would he have taken them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Rarely if ever to I say anything negative about players or refs but msn were Thomastown so casual resulting in block after block. There body language looked said it all. Not to mention some really sloppy tackling in the 2nd 1/2 & extra time & giving Lisdowney shooters tons of space. Terrible performance & bet by in inferior team who just wanted it more. Reminded me a little bit of KK's win over LK in the semi's. A. Tallis was sharp.

And on S.C. I don't think he'll ever see another IC championship match again unless the GAA's reservoir of top refs dries up even more than it already is. Terrible 1st half & only slightly better in the 2nd.

I'm a TTown fan but I don't have much good to say about them right now. Feel silly for having defended Jon Joe in the past.

No fan of having to finish on the day but it is what it is & congrats to Lisdowney though I think there time in senior will be brief, but who knows. Definitely not me.

Why would you feel silly for defending jonjo after today after everything he has given our club, an amazing servant, he has carried us on his back for years, drove wides today and his striking often let's hin down but got some good scores. He has more support around him these days and hopefully they will help him to hurl senior before he retires. Some club man and a lot of clubs would love to have him.

It is taking us a bit longer than it should have and we have deficiencies but we will get there. It took other clubs a few goes we will just have to improve.

Thought John Donnelly got some amazing scores today as did Robbie. Felt like we won the match a few times but the fight lisdowney showed was great, if they produce that fight they will survive without doubt.

So congratulations to lisdowney and we will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

bamayang wrote: »
    Was very surprised to hear John Joe going up to take a penalty. Wouldn’t have put his strengths down as a dead ball striker (an excellent hurler from play). Would he have taken them before?

Has taken them before but wouldn't be his strong point but he is a real leader and club man and wouldn't shirk the responsibility,

Why would you feel silly for defending jonjo after today after everything he has given our club, an amazing servant, he has carried us on his back for years, drove wides today and his striking often let's hin down but got some good scores. He has more support around him these days and hopefully they will help him to hurl senior before he retires. Some club man and a lot of clubs would love to have him.

It is taking us a bit longer than it should have and we have deficiencies but we will get there. It took other clubs a few goes we will just have to improve.

Thought John Donnelly got some amazing scores today as did Robbie. Felt like we won the match a few times but the fight lisdowney showed was great, if they produce that fight they will survive without doubt.

So congratulations to lisdowney and we will be back

Fair enough. I was referring to some of the negative comments directed his way while playing IC. Also, I should have taken a breather before posting. Was worked up & disappointed. he did perform much better as the match went on.
    I didn't get to see it live & commented right after I finished watching.
    Not too bright on my part.

And JD & Robbie did have some great scores & JD took more than his fair share of hard hits. One of the backs, name escapes me ATM was very good as well.

Was it burke in defence for thomastown you were thinking of?I think most of us expected ttown to win and lisdowney put in a solid shift but ttown just couldn't finish them off when they had their chance.I thought there was warning signs against freshford.They were casual at times and just kind of expected to get the win but today lisdowney got that late goal to go again that freshford didnt.Im sure they new what lisdowney would bring to the table today after looking at the glenmore match.
    They are probably sick of winning the league and breezing through to the semi final and maybe they believed the hype.I do think they will win it over the next year or two but today is a lesson learned.They just didnt seem to be willing to put their head on the block.Best of luck to lisdowney and hard luck ttown.

brookville wrote: »
    Was it burke in defence for thomastown you were thinking of?I think most of us expected ttown to win and lisdowney put in a solid shift but ttown just couldn't finish them off when they had their chance.I thought there was warning signs against freshford.They were casual at times and just kind of expected to get the win but today lisdowney got that late goal to go again that freshford didnt.Im sure they new what lisdowney would bring to the table today after looking at the glenmore match.
    They are probably sick of winning the league and breezing through to the semi final and maybe they believed the hype.I do think they will win it over the next year or two but today is a lesson learned.They just didnt seem to be willing to put their head on the block.Best of luck to lisdowney and hard luck ttown.

Yep! I thought he was very good as was
    O'Hanrahan & Staunton was solid as well. Rewatching right now & I was a bit harsh. But I do think they were a little slow/casual, they improved in that respect as the match progressed. The Lisdowney keeper made some good saves. learned my lesson to give myself a little more time/another view when the bloods pumping. Lisdowney were hungry & deserving winners. Hoping for a cracker tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Lisdowney were well coached yesterday there tackling was unbelivable there goalie played under age for kilkenny not a bad prospect, they have three adult teams this year not bad for a rural parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Game. Over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭conor05

Game. Over.

Dicksboro not able for Ballyhales level of hurling at all.

This could turn into a massacre yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement