Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

doel wrote: »
    Is Brassil in the running to start? Fine hurler but don't think he's anywhere near ready for this. But he is from the village and so must have a good chance

Do you think Brassil will start ahead of Joe Hennessy?

Hopefully Mick Crotty goes well inside he’s big and strong for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Stab at team
    1.murphy
    2.walsh
    3.lawlor
    4.joey
    5.padraig
    6.deegan
    7.delanrey
    8.browne
    9.reid
    10 tj
    11.JD
    12.wally
    13.billy ryan
    14.colin
    15.cody

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Is Fogarty injured or just outta form?
    From all the latest reports Cody is going really well and looks like starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Stab at team
    1.murphy
    2.walsh
    3.lawlor
    4.joey
    5.padraig
    6.deegan
    7.delanrey
    8.browne
    9.reid
    10 tj
    11.JD
    12.wally
    13.billy ryan
    14.colin
    15.cody

If Buckley was available I'd start him at 7 and switch Delaney to centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Don't think Browne's form for the club at least would justify him starting.

My stab at a team would be

E Murphy

C Wallace, H Lawlor, P Deegan
    P Walsh, C Delaney, C Buckley (is back training a few weeks after a thumb injury in the county final)

R Reid, R Leahy (or Conor Fogarty)

J Donnelly, TJ Reid, W Walsh (would have 20mins to make an impact)
    B Ryan, C Fennelly, E Cody

I've heard Billy Ryan's form has been really strong and is destroying lads since he's been back in with the county.

We have plenty on the bench too but that's a really strong starting 15. It's likely fairly wrong but I would hope most of the above will start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

If recent matches are anything to go by we are going to have billy and cody close to the goal.Both are hurling very well and will hopefully give us a scoring threat we have being missing.
    Deegan has being playing at 6 recently but can play anywhere in defence.Joey would be unlucky to miss out on a start.
    Richie hogan was outstanding for danesfort before injury so the dilemma is do the start and get what they can out of him or try bring him on.Wally has being hot and cold.

Tough team selection to be fair. I'd go with
    Murphy
    Wallace Lawler Holden
    Walsh Deegan Delaney
    Ried Browne
    Donnelly TJ Wally
    Cody Fennelly Aylward

Strugglin g with a few things
    - B Ryan doesn't do it for me. Have seen a fair bit of him coming tru and don't think he's up to it
    - Wally needs to perform big time
    -Browne could be used to cover for Walsh who I hope will be used/encouraged to attack as much as possible
    -If Hogan fit , I'd start him instead of Aylward.

Any word on clubs with new managers.
    From what I hear, Boro, Tullaroan, Vegas,Comer,Danesfort all looking for new men in charge plus a host of intermediate/junior clubs aswell

It's a numbers game now and the squad is very important.We only have a few recent challenge games to go off.Id like to see Darren mullen somewhere in that team.I think we will definitely see a few changes especially in defence.Paul Murphy will struggle to get in.its hard to guess the team because we havent seen much in a few months.Fogarty has being a very good servant but we have struggled in this area and have chopped and changed.Id still expect fogarty to start midfield.We will have to be very disciplined cause donal burke is very accurate.Dublin have gone for pace but if we bring our high intensity and cut out the silly fouls we have a good chance especially in croke park but that game will stand to dublin.Its unlikely we will see adrian mullen until hopefully later in the year if we are still standing.
    My team for what it's worth
    Murphy
    Wallace,lawlor,joey
    Padraig,deegan,delaney
    Fogarty,darren mullen
    Tj,donnelly,wally
    Billy,colin,cody
    We need more consistency from Wally if not I'd hope the likes of blanchfield,aylward or leahy will be breathing down his neck for a start.
    I know mid field is not Darren mullens natural position but he has such a good hurling brain.He does need to cut out the silly fouls.Richie reid will be close to starting as will buckley but I would like to see a few changes
    I would be slightly concerned with deegan at 6 I remember the boro made hay running down the middle and created a few goal scoring chances.I would prefer delaney ar 6 and I heard buckley wont be ready for this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can't understand the logic of people playing Richie Reid midfield. It's absolutely not the same as playing half back. All his form that would possibly justify him playing is from half back. He either plays there or he doesn't play at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am not sure that Wally should be starting at the moment. I would be starting either Leahy or Blanchfield. I wouldn't mind seeing Conor Browne starting either, he covers a lot of ground and he might be suited to a game like Dublin play

Can't understand the logic of people playing Richie Reid midfield. It's absolutely not the same as playing half back. All his form that would possibly justify him playing is from half back. He either plays there or he doesn't play at all.

Richie reid played midfield against Waterford and clare recently and played well by all accounts.Could play as a defensive midfielder.Leahy could be an option but done better last year coming off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

brookville wrote: »
    Richie reid played midfield against Waterford and clare recently and played well by all accounts.Could play as a defensive midfielder.Leahy could be an option but done better last year coming off the bench.

Does anyone know the results of those challenge matches?

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the results of those challenge matches?

Was told, Kilkenny 5.20 Waterford 4.18 and Kilkenny 5.20 Clare 0.20.

Grats wrote: »

I know its only challenge matches, but, it's good that we are scoring goals again. Serious lack of goals over the last 3-4 years

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I know its only challenge matches, but, it's good that we are scoring goals again. Serious lack of goals over the last 3-4 years

I agree. Perhaps DJ and Gorta influence.

Yeah hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Did joey pick up a shoulder injury against Waterford.
    Also herd D Mullen was wing back and really struggled.
    Cody will be corner forward
    I think we might have

Murphy
    Wallace
    Lawlor
    Joey
    Delaney
    Walsh
    Deegen
    Browne
    Reid
    Donnelly
    Tj
    Not Wally (possibly leahy not sure is Mullen a option)
    Ryan
    Fennelly
    Cody

Fair team

• Advertisement

4-18 is a lot to concede vs Wd. Our fullback line needs to be at their best whoever starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can't see Cody dropping Wally. Appears to be untouchable.

Also, I'd read absolutely nothing into any challenge match.

The talk after the Waterford match was a few defenders struggled and were replaced mullen and Padraig were under pressure.
    The backs were better against clare but we seen yesterday apart from tony Kelly clare are depleted
    Wally was dropped for the cork game last year but the problem is he follows a good game with a few stinkers.Consistency is a real problem.
    I agree I wouldnt read much into challenge games but at least we are scoring a few goals.Waterford might not be too bad this year.
    We will have a better idea of things this weekend but Id be suprised if eoin cody doesn't start.Although the matches last weekend lacked intensity you would expect wexford/galway and tipp/limerick will be more intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

Heard from someone involved that DJ is having a noticeable influence on Cody in terms of style of play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Village87

If Kilkenny start the likes of Paul Murphy, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty, Walter Walsh etc we will not be progressing. These lads have been in there prime last 4/5 years and have struggled imo. Since the great JJ and Mick Fennelly left these players have not stood up to be leaders as senior player. We are all to reliant on Kilkennys greatest ever TJ Reid to get us over the line day after day.

Hopefully lads like Eoin Cody, Darren Mullen, Billy Ryan and Richie Leahy start.

Id be skeptical about Huh Lawlor too, looked desperately slow when turned against the Boro in county semi final when OLG conceded 2 goals. Im sure intercounty managers noticed this. But going on last years intercounty form deserves to start.

Is Cian Kenny in training. Excellent club form, his use, ability to get on the ball and distribution of the ball both excellent and cleaned out the Shamrocks midfielders in the Semi final. A player with a big future

I think we had the 4 of the same 6 defenders in the 2016 and 2019 finals.We need a few new faces and I think we will see that this weekend.
    Cian kenny isnt on the senior panel but the u20s played Waterford a few weeks ago in walsh park and he got 6 or 7 points and was very good.He was on of the club players of the year and hopefully will have a big future.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

GAA Go I think

I think Wallace will start with either Joey or Mullen in the other corner

I sure hope so & had thought that the case but right now they've nothing listed in either code under 'upcoming' matches.
    I have noticed that for the first time since they began that some matches were listed as being broadcast by GAAGO so maybe. anything other than Sky. Before this past weekends matches I'd never seen such an enormous difference between broadcasters other than tg4 camera work being better in most cases but Sky was like childs play compared w/RTE's coverage. The fake crowd noise, another first, was horrible & no way to turn it off via gaago. Better than not getting to watch, just an observation.

On the team selection I posted, Wallace has definitely impressed & was a name I was struggling to remember @ the time. Looking forward to seeing the panel for the Dub match.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Every match is to be televised this year in both hurling and football, KK are on GAA GO on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

The Kilkenny v Dublin stream is available to purchase now through GAAGO for €5.

Team for Saturday;

Murphy

Wallace
    Lawlor
    T.Walsh

P.Walsh
    Delaney
    Deegan

Browne
    Reid

Donnelly
    Walter
    TJ

Ryan
    Fennelly
    Cody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

SteJer wrote: »
    The Kilkenny v Dublin stream is available to purchase now through GAAGO for €5.

Team for Saturday;

Murphy

Wallace
    Lawlor
    T.Walsh

P.Walsh
    Delaney
    Deegan

Browne
    Reid

Donnelly
    Walter
    TJ

Ryan
    Fennelly
    Cody

I am not convinced of that midfield pairing at Inter County level.
    Reid especially, but I hope he proves me wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement