Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Village87

Jst was fouled on the way out prior to that ruck, blatant enough

Great game
    Village very unlucky after great performance. Cian Kenny a class act. 3/4 turning points last 10 mins. Conor Browne hit 2 shocking wides one off the left and the other the right. O Dwyer was blocked by Holden when he a choice to put it over or work the goal, he had a great game only for the wrong decision there. Then Browne picked up off the ground. Hard luck, great effort. How many wides did Brassil hit he was on a lot of possession. Well done to the Shamrocks and the ref a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

TJ is class but I’d never have picked him as man of match today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

benji79 wrote: »

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

I'd say brassil had 5 or 6 wides.He done some good things but the wayward shooting let him down.Cian kenny is after having a few great games.Guilfoyle is an excellent free taker so hopefully this team keeps progressing.Its unusual to see no jackie or larkin anymore.Is larkin finished or just playing junior?thought they could of done with an experienced head in defence to try see it out.
    Colin with 2-5 today and penalty won he is so hard to hold especially at that level

benji79 wrote: »

Thought colin was more dangerous 2-5 and penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Hadn't seen much of the Village but heard talk of someone named Cian Kenny & he didn't disappoint. All in all a great game & felt for the Village, still, Shamrocks just get goals when needed. Making it look easy at times when they do. Patty M. has got to get the persistent fouling out of his game. Not the first & it'll cost him or his team sooner or later. Probably both. Great day of hurling though. :-)

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very entertaining game between Shamrocks and the Village, credit to both sides. Shamrocks lucky that Paddy Mullen didn't pick up a second yellow card earlier. Cian Kenny is a lovely stylish hurdler. Guilfoyle, Tadgh O'Dwyer, Brassil all did well. O'Dwyer should have laid off the ball rather than going for a goal himself. TJ and Colin dragged Shamrocks over the line, should be a good final. Hard to call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Very happy the Boro aren't even being talked about slip in under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very happy the Boro aren't even being talked about slip in under the radar.

I would have Dicksboro as favourites. Huw Lawlor and Paddy Deegan in good form

blackcard wrote: »
    I would have Dicksboro as favourites. Huw Lawlor and Paddy Deegan in good form

I thought both were average. Huh Lawlor looks desperately slow when turned and both were terrible for the game defining first goal and Lawlor got turned easily for the second also, both obviously very good but concerning for intercounty. Lawlor got a great point and Deegan was fairy anonymous in my opinion. Tom Kenny, Aidan Nolan,Chris Kavanagh, Evan Cody, Evan Carroll, Shane Stapleton,Bill Sheehan and the minor wing forward I forget his name all looked very good for Dicksboro. Buckley got cleaned after the first 15 mins. Eoin o Shea had him struggling for pace. Mikey Butler, Jordan Molloy, Jack Nolan at midfield and imo the man of the match Eoin O Shea very good for OLG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Village87 wrote: »
    I thought both were average. Huh Lawlor looks desperately slow when turned and both were terrible for the game defining first goal and Lawlor got turned easily for the second also, both obviously very good but concerning for intercounty. Lawlor got a great point and Deegan was fairy anonymous in my opinion. Tom Kenny, Aidan Nolan,Chris Kavanagh, Evan Cody, Evan Carroll, Shane Stapleton,Bill Sheehan and the minor wing forward I forget his name all looked very good for Dicksboro. Buckley got cleaned after the first 15 mins. Eoin o Shea had him struggling for pace. Mikey Butler, Jordan Molloy, Jack Nolan at midfield and imo the man of the match Eoin O Shea very good for OLG

Agree. Neither shined but Deegan was definitely
    absent, much more than Lawlor.
    Maybe not on paper but I thought JST was the best performing city team & though they didn't get over the line I thought they looked better than BH for stretches. Just not the same mature decision making with the sliotar or they'd have ended up w/a goal or two. Still, BH over the borro by 7.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Village87 wrote: »

Buckley is not a number 6. Struggled against Cuala there in 2017. He is however a very good number 7.

Eoin O Shea got 0-6ps from play off Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

conor05 wrote: »
    Buckley is not a number 6. Struggled against Cuala there in 2017. He is however a very good number 7.

Eoin O Shea got 0-6ps from play off Buckley.
    If my memory serves me right he ended up full back in that game as they struggled to contain Con O'Callaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Anyone know the context of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Anyone know the context of this?

Probably this article
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/kilkenny-hurler-colin-fennelly-chats-22650954

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Colin and TJ have been in the magazine lately but sure what harm they're only doing it to promote their businesses.

Think some lads are being harsh on Bucks. He played as a deep centre back. His job is not to mark the centre forward its to sweep across the front of the full back line and start the running attacks from deep which he did extremely effectively. Wouldn't mind seeing his number of possessions but I'd say it was extraordinarily high. It's the midfields job to cover the centre forward in that situation and to be fair Eoin O Sheas shooting was excellent. The time he scorched Buckley he had a running start on him and Buckley took a step forward at the wrong time that allowed EOS to step him. If you're going to criticise someone you can't look at their performance in the context of the man you think they're supposed to be marking. Seanie Bolger and Eoin Wall were both replaced and Conor Heary ended up in the half back line. How much good ball was sent in to that full forward line? Very little because Cillian was always there and then he'd come charging out with it swapping passes with Kenny and Walsh before the deliveries into the spaces created inside.

Re Lawlor, I thought he did a grand job on Aidan Nolan. The goal came from a mistake by Kearns but other than that did Nolan actually do a whole pile that you could say Lawlor was bad? His job was to reduce the influence of a man who got 1-5 the last day and he largely did that. Was he amazing, no, was he bad, no.

Colin and TJ have been in the magazine lately but sure what harm they're only doing it to promote their businesses.

Think some lads are being harsh on Bucks. He played as a deep centre back. His job is not to mark the centre forward its to sweep across the front of the full back line and start the running attacks from deep which he did extremely effectively. Wouldn't mind seeing his number of possessions but I'd say it was extraordinarily high. It's the midfields job to cover the centre forward in that situation and to be fair Eoin O Sheas shooting was excellent. The time he scorched Buckley he had a running start on him and Buckley took a step forward at the wrong time that allowed EOS to step him. If you're going to criticise someone you can't look at their performance in the context of the man you think they're supposed to be marking. Seanie Bolger and Eoin Wall were both replaced and Conor Heary ended up in the half back line. How much good ball was sent in to that full forward line? Very little because Cillian was always there and then he'd come charging out with it swapping passes with Kenny and Walsh before the deliveries into the spaces created inside.

Re Lawlor, I thought he did a grand job on Aidan Nolan. The goal came from a mistake by Kearns but other than that did Nolan actually do a whole pile that you could say Lawlor was bad? His job was to reduce the influence of a man who got 1-5 the last day and he largely did that. Was he amazing, no, was he bad, no.

Lawlor is a very strong hurler and did well yesterday. Great point too. I just noticed when out of full back and gets turned he is very slow to recover. If I noticed that I’m sure other inter county managers around the Country noticed.
    As for Buckley he received a lot of short passes and handpasses early on. After that OLG put a hurler on him Buckley was all over the place. Dicksboro full back line were in complete control and Buckley’s man got 6 points. He should have marked he man to a certain degree. Buckley had only few possessions in the first 25mins of 2nd half and with a strong wind. O Shea had another chance for 2 points but tried work the goal chance. I hope Buckley can get that pace he had 3/4 years ago back I thought Tom Kenny looked top class, good striking athletic, good in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Fenians have pulled off an impossible escape against Ballyragget today, trailing 1-17 to 1-12 they found a late flurry of goals to win 4-13 to 1-20.

Ann Downey's first year as Ballyragget manager hasn't gone as planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭kksaints

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Fenians have pulled off an impossible escape against Ballyragget today, trailing 1-17 to 1-12 they found a late flurry of goals to win 4-13 to 1-20.

I'm very surprised that Ballyragget were relegated having seen them vs Callan in which they looked a far superior team to Callan.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    I'm very surprised that Ballyragget were relegated having seen them vs Callan in which they looked a far superior team to Callan.
    Hard to believe playing senior last year and will be junior next year.
    It must be the first match rebel played in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Manager of team lost three camogie all ireland in a row then this you have to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Really enjoyed the games yesterday and we have a good final in store. Dicksboro are travelling well all year now. Ballyhale are never beat Ino their blessed with great hurlers but they have unreal team spirt and heart that drags them through games. Tj and Colin stood up again. Colin brilliant again with 2-5 it seems as every goal he scores tj sets up, last few years Colin has scored goals but also set up so many goals while winning penos and frees. Tj is a genuis and the two of them link up so well their unplayable at times Colins second goal was pure class throughout. Village will be disappointed but also showed great heart and have some good young hurlers. Wonder if any players on display caught the eye or Cody.

Just looking at the johnstown team yesterday they rolled out a few lads who havent played much in a few years.Huge credit to them for snatching a win but ballyragget have being unlucky.They lost to young irelands on penalties and looked to be in a good position through that second half but as soon as it got to the melting pot ballyragget wouldnt have the same fight as a few teams.Its an ultra competitive championship and that's why its probably one of the toughest championships in the country.
    Tullogher remain junior again and conahy very lucky against mooncoin.The boro could take a scalp aswell at junior.It was a great weekend for the boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

I doubt too much will be said.

At the end of the day TJ and Colin are serious serious hurlers still producing the goods and that’s all that matters to Mr. Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Takeyourpoints

Two great games Saturday, with a cagey senior relegation final yesterday. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to watch the highlights of the intermediate relegation final yet, but it sounded like quite the finish.

In the Boro-OLG game, the Boro backs were very strong. Tom Kenny seems like a class act and the standout player. Can't see Buckley taking TJ the next day, he's far too loose. Evan Cody seems like a very solid full back, and if you were picking the senior county full back based on Saturday you'd choose him. For OLG, they really never hit the ground running. Mikey Butler had a great battle with Bill Sheehan before suffering that injury. The backs were under a huge amount of pressure. Eoin O Shea had a great game too.

In the later, game my heart went out to the village (rare you'd say that 😁). They put in some a great shift but goals win games and there aren't many players as good as Colin for getting or setting up goals. The free at the end was just so silly to give away. Up until then, guilfoyle was fantastic for the village. Niall Brassill had good and bad moments but in general thought it was mostly just a great team performance. For Ballyhale, Richie Reid started well and then disappeared. Brian Cody has a real knack of getting a few points at vital times. Overall, it was just a great game and the excitement towards the end had me hooked.

It'll be an interesting final, Boro backs won't have come up against a set of forwards quite like ballyhale this year so it'll be interesting to see how they handle them. I fancy Boro, but only slightly.

In the relegation final, I watched this last night on YouTube and it was very cagey. Danesfort took plenty of shots but were doing so under pressure and I think they had 10 wides in the first half. Gbc were always on top, but Paddy Hogan scored a great goal from a free to make it tighter at the end. You have to feel for danesfort, Richie Hogan came on as a last throw of the dice but he could barely move. For gbc, Billy Ryan scored an excellent goal and he really has developed into a goal getter. Shane Butler and Sean Ryan were the best of the forwards. Conor Flynn had another great game at full back. Danesfort still have a relatively young team and can see them coming straight back up if Richie stays fit.

It will be intresting to see how the boro set up to try contain the shamrocks.Evan cody has learned over the few years and himself and Colin's tussle should be good.It must be said colins shooting and striking has really improved.The boro will know they cant give an inch and must take their chances.They have a strong panel.Conor doheny who was nearly county standard cant get back after injury.Think aidan nolan has a punctured lung so must be rated doubtful.
    The county are officially allowed back today.Will anyone who wasnt in at the start of the year get called in?
    Good to see adrian mullen making a good recovery but the cruciate is the injury you dont really know you are recovered until your in the heat of battle.I hope he doesn't rush it back because its usually a year for recovery mmk

brookville wrote: »
    It will be intresting to see how the boro set up to try contain the shamrocks.Evan cody has learned over the few years and himself and Colin's tussle should be good.It must be said colins shooting and striking has really improved.The boro will know they cant give an inch and must take their chances.They have a strong panel.Conor doheny who was nearly county standard cant get back after injury.Think aidan nolan has a punctured lung so must be rated doubtful.
    The county are officially allowed back today.Will anyone who wasnt in at the start of the year get called in?
    Good to see adrian mullen making a good recovery but the cruciate is the injury you dont really know you are recovered until your in the heat of battle.I hope he doesn't rush it back because its usually a year for recovery mmk

Aidan Nolan was dropped during the league, will Cody call him back in ?
    John Walsh Mvat and Eoin O'Shea OLG outstanding as is Cian Kenny James Stephens.

I'd like to see john walsh called in.I think if he got a bit of county training he has something to offer at county level.Eoin o shea impressed the last day against the boro.Cian kenny is young and light but hopefully looks to be a very good prospect but unlikely to be brought in this year.
    Eoin cody and darren mullen should be genuine options for starting.
    A few positives and negatives now that we are coming to the concluding stages of the club campaign.

Positives are adrian mullen looks to be ahead in his recovery but I'm not convinced we will have him for the county.A cruciate injury was nearly always a year out.He got injured around March.It might be a risk trying to rush him back for this year.
    Tj and colin continue their great form and have a great understanding.
    Buckley looks to be getting back to the good form he had a few years ago.
    Ger aylward was very good the last day for glenmore.He needs to stay injury free cause he is running out of time
    Blanchfield continued his good form hopefully he can see game time this year he needs to start breaking onto the team.
    Billy ryan was very dangerous for ballycallan when he returned from injury and has an eye for goal.
    Richie leahy hot to play the relegation semi final.it looked like he was out for a long time.He wasnt a hundred per cent but he gave what he could.Still needs to tidy up on some of his decision making.
    Negatives
    Richie hogan after the heroics against Vegas he suffered a hamstring injury and was unable to walk in the relegation final.He was hurling well up to that.This is surely the last year we will see him in the county Jersey.Hopefully he will be able get himself fit again and be able give it another go.
    It's going to be unusual playing the championship in the winter.It might be a leveller for some teams and there will probably be a few surprises.
    Like the club championship that has passed teams will pick up injuries and there wont be much time for recovery so panels will be important.
    We need a few tweaks to our team hopefully we can get a good balance.Alot of new faces have got game time over the last few years so hopefully the experience will bring on these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah I'd like to see the likes of John Walsh, Ollie Walsh, Eoin O'Shea, Jordan Molloy, Aidan Nolan, Cian Kenny (probably a bit early for him) Tom Kenny, Evan Cody get another go or just a go with the county. I don't know if he'll bring in anyone from the club games with such a short season ahead. I would like to see Cody be a bit more open to bring lads back in that have gone well with the club, if they still don't impress in training etc fair enough cut them but there are some fine hurlers around that he has given a go to it might not have worked out mainly because of youth and inexperience. If a lad fails at a young age it doesn't mean he won't be ever good enough some lads blossom late.

Evan Cody is a prime example, he was brought in a few years ago given 20 minutes at cornerback against Aaron Shanagher down in Clare on a day Kilkenny were terrible. It went very badly for Evan and he was dropped soon after. I think it was terrible that a poor performance by the team was to the outside at least being attributed to one young cornerback(who's a full back). Evan Cody lost all confidence after the way he was dumped so quickly and he played ****e for 2 or 3 years for the Boro after that and almost gave up the game. Thankfully he stuck at it and has had 2 great years now he is probably only one of 3 or 4 lads in the county that might be able to handle Colin Fennelly. He has speed and hurling as well as being strong as an Ox. Doubt Cody will ever call him in again and I don't know if he'd go in again with Cody there, he might never have been good enough but we'll never know cause we only ever got to see him against Aaron Shanagher for 20minutes and that's not enough to judge anyone on. This tale has played out a lot throughout the Cody years and when we were producing Shefflin, Fennelly, Walsh, Delaney, Larkin, Power and Tyrrell's to name but a few it was ok to cast lads on the scrap heap and never revisit those guys again. We're not in that position anymore and older guys who are going well should be looked at. If their not good enough or fit enough then fine but don't discard them as an option because we saw what he could do at 19 year old and it wasn't good enough.

Rant over sorry, started off trying to be positive and went off on one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement