Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overcast entirely since 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No sun all day, and a wind with a chilly bite, now stronger and with hard showers.. West Mayo, offshore island

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Warmer temperatures will be very welcome from about Weds on, more so in the Western half of the country as the week goes on it would seem :)

Might be a bit thundery in the SW Thurs ?

9kZYiQd.png

82nFju3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Sorry this question was asked already by someone but I cant find the answer.

How many named storms had we during the Autumn/Winter season just gone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sorry this question was asked already by someone but I cant find the answer.

How many named storms had we during the Autumn/Winter season just gone.

Thanks

7 by Met Éireann or the UK Met Office; Aileen, Brian, Caroline, Dylan, Eleanor, Fionn, Georgina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_European_windstorm_season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Plus Storm Ophelia named by the National Hurricane Center and I think there was a storm named by the Portuguese Met office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    Plus Storm Ophelia named by the National Hurricane Center and I think there was a storm named by the Portuguese Met office.

I was referring specifically to our meteorological agencies to avoid confusion because the storm naming was a bit strange in 2017-18 in comparison to the previous two storm naming seasons. Ophelia was an ex-hurricane. France named storm David on 17/18 January whilst the Portuguese Met Agency named storm Emma on 1-3 March. Not sure about Irene's origin on 16th April though bar it being known as such in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chilly after all the lovely sun. Damp overnight but dry if cloudy since mid morning.

As a side note would someone tell your wan to slow down and take a breath when she's doing the forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

sryanbruen wrote: »
    7 by Met Éireann or the UK Met Office; Aileen, Brian, Caroline, Dylan, Eleanor, Fionn, Georgina.

Thanks lads I wasn't sure if that wiki page was accurate. So I had a feeling our very own weather boards encyclopedia would know :D

Emma and Ophelia were the ones that I could remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Won’t be complaining about Clonmels weather anymore having spent the afternoon in Limerick absolutely soaked after it and cool down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Won’t be complaining about Clonmels weather anymore having spent the afternoon in Limerick absolutely soaked after it and cool down there.

Agree with you today. Real wet rain I got soaked out walking the dog. Scorching weather on the way though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Been dry here in Cork odd bit of drizzle. Starting to rain now a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The actual heavy rain has eased here in West Mayo but the air is sodden and drenched with water. Calm and still

Was also in Limerick, was lashing!

Wet in West Clare too. Small price to pay for a period of good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Escaped lightly here in Castlebar today.Its been dry apart from a spot or two of light rain. Ground is dry. very mild with low cloud down on the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Two or three intervals of light rain today not amounting to much. 1-2mm give or take. Good/very good outlook for the next 10 days going by the latest charts, even though the recent lack of rain (only 12mm at Casement so far this May) might start giving a slight headache in the E if the dry pattern reloads without a showery break. Hoping for some thundery showers next week even though ssts are still on the low side.

Met Eireanns short-range forecast indicating temperatures of up to 27c next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Met Eireanns short-range forecast indicating temperatures of up to 27c next Monday.

There's lads from the North West staying and working in Enniscorthy,I told a few of them that the weather is like this all the time down here in Wexico. They can't handle the warmth at all. A few drops sprinkled on the ground last night was all we had regards rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

It started raining about 6pm last night and hasn't stopped here in Leitrim. Cool temperature of 9C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last night's rain is already nearly dried up here in South Meath. Temperatures rising nicely to 17C and will go higher if the sun makes an appearance in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Raining since 3pm yesterday in Athlone still hasn't stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very dark in Dublin but no rain.

Stopped in West Clare with a few hours now. Total from event has been exactly 30.0mm. Certainly a wet period. I'd imagine Shannon will have a higher amount as its still raining there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We got off fairly lightly in Dublin, I think. I recorded 1.0mm of rain today, although I didn't see any of it and the ground appeared dry all day. There was a short spell of hazy sunshine in the middle of the day although it's been mostly overcast. The high temperature was 18.3C although it's only 11.7C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Today was the type of day that I hate wet but not wet enough, got everything ready for putting in footpaths but too wet for putting in the concrete.
    Looking forward to the settled spell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a chilly evening. Overcast, breezy and 10.6C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very chilly evening indeed. Fire lit for first time in over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lovely bright evening in Castlebar, really a day of two halves after a very dull wet start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at some recent historical warm periods during the 2nd half of May and one which occurred in 1989 really stands out with some notable warm daytime temps (up to 27c in Valentia on the 22nd) and even more noteworthy, some extraordinary warm nights (low of just of 15.5c at Belmullet on the 21st)

NOAA_1_1989052212_1.png

Fairly short lived affair though with temps returning more to average by the end of the month.

New Moon

• Advertisement

another very disappointing day here, the 3rd cool, cloudy and murky day in a row.

Advertisement