Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Don't understand bellmullet showing 2c? I'm currently reporting 9c on both car and weather station? I'm not a million miles from bellmullet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Ecmwf keeping it cold at 120hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

Getting milder from next Thursday folks we will be grand don't worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Can't help myself :P

ECM at 168hrs would give blizzards for many areas of Ireland and the UK. The ECM 12z is very good for cold, with the more intense cold making over Ireland next week.

ECM snow forecasts shows the low approaching from the southwest Thursday giving a period of snow and the 12z run would increase this risk further.

ECM1-168.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Can't help myself :P

ECM at 168hrs would give blizzards for many areas of Ireland and the UK. The ECM 12z is very good for cold, with the more intense cold making over Ireland next week.

ECM snow forecasts shows the low approaching from the southwest Thursday giving a period of snow and the 12z run would increase this risk further.

ECM1-168.GIF

Praying that when that Atlantic LP approaches us it elongates and drags the bitter air over Scandinavia. Need elongated LP pleasseee :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a couple of hundred miles further south?
    why not with such a powerful block.

ECM0-192.GIF?15-0

Haha The ECM would give astonishing snow depths in parts of the north which snow lasting for 48hrs or more! Obviously not going to happen but interesting to see the idea of taking the low further south. There is a substantial block to the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sleet shower in Sligo 3c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes certainly an interesting ECM, of course supported by gfs to an extent
    It now looks like the mild air will not win out and eventhough it may be marginal for snow at times there is no route back to mild for now.
    We aint a million miles away from something special and with such deep cold to our East it's certainly not too late for the white stuff

ECM Ensemble suite suggesting increased confidence of a more continental easterly flow (with lower dew-points) from Tuesday with increased risk of snow to low levels especially in the east. Thereafter the Ensemble suite struggles to bring the low pressure far north and there is potential for the cold air to row back over Ireland next weekend.

A very wintry outlook which would have the boards weather servers in melt-down if it were January.

• Advertisement

The Japanese model would have us heading for our coldest March on record if it were to occur.

Rjma1921.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

The Japanese model would have us heading for our coldest March on record if it were to occur.

Rjma1921.gif

Crazy Japanese Bast.ards

Of note, the temperature in the Irish Sea is down to 7.2c at M2. So air modification will be less than earlier in the winter, which could help to top the balance.

A nice chart at 108hrs from the 18z GFS for your evenings musing.

gfs-2-108.png?18?18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

A nice chart at 108hrs from the 18z GFS for your evenings musing.

gfs-2-108.png?18?18

Oh you :pac:

The high to the north looks to be very significant, you'd have to say odds on it all shifting another good chunk further south in the future runs is likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Looks cold for the parades, nae will be interesting tomorrow.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/03/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/13031712_2_1518.gif

Intense precipitation blob on the way for the south west

3hr-rain.gif?2218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wow 18z GFS upgrades mid-week potential :)

interesting to note that the coldest March of the 20th century was in 1962 and another very cold March was 1916, both of the following winters were severe. :)
    The first ramp for winter 2013/14 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

interesting to note that the coldest March of the 20th century was in 1962 and another very cold March was 1916, both of the following winters were severe. :)

251143-2012-someone-loves-his-guinness.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Good man, now I am ramped up and its ages to winter ! ha :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Enjoying watching this develop.

On a side note, i see Hungary stole our snow storm - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130315/eu-europe-snow/?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The word mild banished from met.ie forecast now, remaining cold for the week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ECM not giving up or backtracking this morning. :) Bit of a battleground situtaion over Ireland next week with low pressure to our south and dividing line between 'mild'(er) and cold air over the middle of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Severe frost this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

The ice was so thick here when I looked out I thought there had been a light dusting of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Deank wrote: »
    The ice was so thick here when I looked out I thought there had been a light dusting of snow.

ah your just obsessed with Snow now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

ah your just obsessed with Snow now :P
    Snow what :pac::D

Beauftul mild sunny day in Waterford ,long may it continue .

Snowing in Parts of Co.Antrim at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

decies wrote: »
    Beauftul mild sunny day in Waterford ,long may it continue .
    A mild 3 degrees! Lovely in the Sun though, Sun has done a right job on the frost already. Was -2 when i got up at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My garden max min thermometer (at 2metres height) had a minimum of -5.9 for last night.

7 deg and glorious in the south east

MET UK warning for the North

Issued at - 16 Mar 2013, 11:25
    Valid from - 16 Mar 2013, 21:00
    Valid to - 17 Mar 2013, 09:00

There is a risk of icy patches forming on untreated surfaces later on Saturday evening and during the early hours of Sunday, particularly where surfaces have been left wet by earlier showers.

Further wintry showers are possible in the north, whilst an area of more widespread rain, sleet and hill snow is expected to spread from the north later in the night. Accumulations of snow will be restricted to high ground, with a risk of 3-8 cm over the Antrim and Sperrin Hills with strengthening northwesterly winds increasing the risk of accretion on power lines.

The public should be aware of the risk of disruption from these wintry hazards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just had a heavy Hail storm out of nowhere in Dublin City D2 ..not showing on the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

DominoDub wrote: »
    Just had a heavy Hail storm out of nowhere in Dublin City D2 ..not showing on the radar.

Same here (D4) soft hail constant for 10 mins, grass went white even though it's warm, weird...

max at Dublin Airport yesterday was 9.9c which means temps have been in single figures here for exactly a month since it reached 13c on Feb 16th.
    temps for March are 3.2c below normal so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Left the house in Balbriggan area at 8.30 on the bike for a jaunt around North County Dublin. The cars had a thick coat of frost but roofs and ground were fine.
    After approx 1 hour had to take my jacket off.Sunny for most of the spin and when sheltered from the wind was pleasant. But once you got into the wind it was a different story. Very Chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snowtime

DominoDub wrote: »

Saw the cloud top of that shower from Skerries, narrow but impressive. Looks like there is another one building now in much the same place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

snowtime wrote: »
    Saw the cloud top of that shower from Skerries, narrow but impressive. Looks like there is another one building now in much the same place!

Yep ..just unloading some more Hail now ...great watching the Convection build up as it moves across Dublin Bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

It's snowing in Bangor ! Very wet snow after sleeting most of the day so far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Snowing very heavy here on East coast of Antrim. Wasn't expecting that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Decent sized hail falling at Dublin airport right now. Largest hail I've seen in years.

Heavy snow in Bangor now - this is really unexpected!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Not sure if you can see it in pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Snowing heavy for last hour in county down (middle). Starting to stick. Big huge flakes.

stooge wrote: »
    Snowing heavy for last hour in county down (middle). Starting to stick. Big huge flakes.
    Yes - grass starting to turn white even here on the coast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Glad snow is falling in Down, even by the sea!

Egg on the faces of many who said it wouldn't be cold enough.

Come back in April? Nah I think I'll stick around the next week and hopefully many people can see some ninja snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Have had three snow showers this afternoon, not settling here but it is further up the mountain at aprox 350m, tonight could be interesting, its 1.9 C here right now and falling fast.

• Advertisement

Some huge pink blobs over Larne at the moment on raintoday radar, if you do a quick twitter search for Larne, you can see photos of snow there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement