Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

There's a quare lot of doubting Thomas's on here. You think you'd be a bit excited about the thought of all those thunderstorms.

excited about losing crops a bit of cop on please

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭scottigael

If I cut it tomorrow and the charts claim I'll be getting 1 or 2mm of rain Saturday/Sunday should I leave it till next week or will such a small amount of rain probably not effect it, give it a turn after the rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

scottigael wrote: »
    If I cut it tomorrow and the charts claim I'll be getting 1 or 2mm of rain Saturday/Sunday should I leave it till next week or will such a small amount of rain probably not effect it, give it a turn after the rain?

I'd cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

lab man wrote: »
    excited about losing crops a bit of cop on please

You're more warned now than you were two hours ago when alps, water john, reggie and injury prone posted about fine weather forecast.
    There ain't a thing I can post or type or pray to stop any rain coming. You're warned. That should be the take all.
    Everything else is politics.

I'd cut it.

I'd wait till next week with this Azores high forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Cut 8 acres yesterday and kicked it out late last night. Turned 4 times today. 3 fields 2 are light crops so acting well the other very heavy fit hay. I think we’ll get it though

5 times in 24 hours is some battering to give it.

5 times in 24 hours is some battering to give it.

Weather saves hay not the machine.
    In good conditions cut pm with conditioner mower so technically the first turn also. Also gives the ground either side a chance to dry.
    Turn twice the first day, once a day after that and once the morning of baling. Weather will dictate the length on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭893bet

Baled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Weather saves hay not the machine.
    In good conditions cut pm with conditioner mower so technically the first turn also. Also gives the ground either side a chance to dry.
    Turn twice the first day, once a day after that and once the morning of baling. Weather will dictate the length on the ground.

It’ll get 3 today as well. Heavy crop definitely needs a lot of turning to air it can see it making a difference. Try to get the lighter bits baled tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

I'd wait till next week with this Azores high forecast.

I'm following you on this one...called it right...

Have 3 acres to do for the pets...has to be right...let me know when we should drop it...

alps wrote: »
    I'm following you on this one...called it right...

Have 3 acres to do for the pets...has to be right...let me know when we should drop it...

Monday 4pm. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Met eireann local forecast giving it ok for here but the accuweather and yr are looking dodge enough. To wrap or not to wrap that is the question.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Met eireann local forecast giving it ok for here but the accuweather and yr are looking dodge enough. To wrap or not to wrap that is the question.

Arpege still giving rain here tomorrow morning and then more rain Sunday evening.
    British met have it too.

Still on the ground here. Not fully fit. No poing making bales of dung! I was half way through raking a field and I just left it. Will get it early next week. Last year spoiled us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spitting rain here in east Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

I know if ya can't trust met eireann with a 24hr forecast!

I'm sticking with you 'say my name' aswell. Keep us informed.

kk.man wrote: »
    I know if ya can't trust met eireann with a 24hr forecast!

I'm sticking with you 'say my name' aswell. Keep us informed.

I'm going to set a gofund me page for forecasts!!

Mist or Bangers that'll be the take home message now from cold fronts.
    And no real forecast predicts mist!

But it's still looking lively for wex/wicklow tomorrow morning for thunderstorms according to the met office.

The goody two shoes by the book glas farmers should be on gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

Wonder did many go early ?

I'm all set for Monday myself here hopefully get a bit of Hay as well as the silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Good few customers sorted today

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnno900

Did yez get it baled today? I got 10 acres baled but had to leave 8 acres unbaled as mist arrived at half 5. Fingers crossed for not too much rain in morning and a fine afternoon!! How come mist is not forecast and you can't see ithe on rainfall radar😠

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭somofagun

Have 6 acres sittin to go in the morning. Dull here but it giving it to brightin tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnno900

somofagun wrote: »
    Have 6 acres sittin to go in the morning. Dull here but it giving it to brightin tomorrow afternoon

Darn...Just watched the weather on tv and Jean's giving a good drop over Wexford for the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

I'm going to set a gofund me page for forecasts!!

Mist or Bangers that'll be the take home message now from cold fronts.
    And no real forecast predicts mist!

But it's still looking lively for wex/wicklow tomorrow morning for thunderstorms according to the met office.

If you could slip into Jean Byrne's dress, I reckon you'd get the tv gig...

alps wrote: »
    If you could slip into Jean Byrne's dress, I reckon you'd get the tv gig...

If you had of said Siobhan's, i might agree.

johnno900 wrote: »
    Did yez get it baled today? I got 10 acres baled but had to leave 8 acres unbaled as mist arrived at half 5. Fingers crossed for not too much rain in morning and a fine afternoon!! How come mist is not forecast and you can't see ithe on rainfall radar😠

Hay fit after 4 days. Alot done today and more tomorrow. Very warm calm evening here and no rain on met till next sat

Well did you wrap?

Screenshot-2019-06-29-05-52-42.png

Can hear thunder and only a few drops so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Big dirty thundershowers just got here now. Deck it anyways!

Big dirty thundershowers just got here now. Deck it anyways!

Just having one here too. What a let down. What’s the best thing to do if it gets wet?

Raining away here in east Cavan.

• Advertisement

If it gets a good wetting does that destroy hay? We’re you better let it dry and wrap it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Thunder lightning and heavy rain with hail in south Tipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

squinn2912 wrote:
    If it gets a good wetting does that destroy hay? We’re you better let it dry and wrap it?

Really good drying weather after I wouldn't worry about it. Different if we were heading for poor weather then just wrap it and it will be grand

Well did you wrap?

Screenshot-2019-06-29-05-52-42.png

No so far so good. The rain stayed west of us so far here thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Just having one here too. What a let down. What’s the best thing to do if it gets wet?
    Dont panic twill pick up after Sunday leave it alone
    you will still make hay of it in the first of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Once off no it is continuous rain that is the issue. Another trick making hay is leave it in the rows for 3 days. It will save away. If it rains on the rows the grass will not get damaged.as the rain will run off. Turn it out out then on really sunny weather I have got away with turning it out rowing it and baling using this methid

Slava Ukrainii

st1979 wrote: »
    Really good drying weather after I wouldn't worry about it. Different if we were heading for poor weather then just wrap it and it will be grand

That's it. No one panic yet

It's only one shower. Is next week really going to be shy weather tho. Seeing overcast days on forecast but not much sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What are round bales of hay selling for at the moment?

Reggie. wrote: »
    That's it. No one panic yet

It's only one shower. Is next week really going to be shy weather tho. Seeing overcast days on forecast but not much sun

I just looked at the 14 day forecast and it has 9 days with rain including today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

whelan2 wrote: »
    What are round bales of hay selling for at the moment?

€11 I think. Well, I’ve to buy a few off a fella so I might even go €12 just to be fair!!!!

_Brian wrote: »
    I just looked at the 14 day forecast and it has 9 days with rain including today.

So its changed again? Looks like the early cutters were the right ones. Alot of hay baled yeaterday

Dunedin wrote: »
    €11 I think. Well, I’ve to buy a few off a fella so I might even go €12 just to be fair!!!!

Hardly that cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plan is for Monday- forecast still showing rain here tmrw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hardly that cheap

I wish. €25 more like it.

What’s the feed value ratio of a typical bale of hay to say average silage ?

Is a bale of hay at €25 better value than a bale of silage at €25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Brian wrote: »
    What’s the feed value ratio of a typical bale of hay to say average silage ?

Is a bale of hay at €25 better value than a bale of silage at €25

Hay would have a higher DM but s lot of hay is baled quite loosely so often bales are only 300 kgs. You get a lot of low DM silage as well made by lads and they get what they perceive to be the cheapest contractor. Buying anything depends on quality and price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,967 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

We have 50 or more acres cut, sur why not

Buying hay in the bale can be a way of getting a right codding. It is the only way I have ever seen of turning a pigs ear into a silk purse. Rank old grass that would be unpalatable standing looks awful well after 4 or 5 days drying and in a bale. There was a 90 acre farm near here 3 years ago that wasn’t grazed or mowed until August from previous October. Massive cover of half dead matted grass. It looked like the best of hay and sold like early new spuds.

Buying hay in the bale can be a way of getting a right codding. It is the only way I have ever seen of turning a pigs ear into a silk purse. Rank old grass that would be unpalatable standing looks awful well after 4 or 5 days drying and in a bale. There was a 90 acre farm near here 3 years ago that wasn’t grazed or mowed until August from previous October. Massive cover of half dead matted grass. It looked like the best of hay and sold like early new spuds.

Could the same not be said for baled silage, they’re not called “lucky dips” for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Very true Will, An awful lot of hay that is made is ****e thats been growing for 3 or 4 months+
    As regards saving hay as someone said earlier time saves hay not turning 4 times a day.
    The best hay we ever had was cut day 1, turned once day 2, left idle day 3, turned day 4, idle day 5, turned and baled day 6. The finest horse hay you would get

• Advertisement
Advertisement