Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Savage hay weather here in Kilkenny. Hopefully it lasts another 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I have taken meadows from 3 different farmers 9 acres field @ €100 an acre field reseeded about 6 -7 years ago, strong grass and wouldn't be suitable for hay - very green
    26 acres in 4 fields at €130 an acre (good heavy meadow and nice new grass about 4 years reseeded)
    15 acre field €1,600 old meadow grass but very heavy. All 3 are more or less beside each other and going to put them into the pit weekend after next. With heavy crops and the broken weather there isn't much demand for meadows up our way this year, you couldn't get a sniff at one last year.

Just a slight diversion but how much would you get per standing field pr acre for silage?

Looking above it seems less than for hay. Why the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

It was turned twice yesterday, lunch time and evening. Ole man is gona turn it shortly and i will turn it again when i get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Great hay weather here atm. Looks like that rain ain't coming sat either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Great hay weather here atm. Looks like that rain ain't coming sat either

You're a fully fledged contractor alright. ;)

How much are ya betting?

Screenshot-2019-06-27-19-24-37.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

You're a fully fledged contractor alright. ;)

How much are ya betting?

Screenshot-2019-06-27-19-24-37.png

Not everyone on here lives in the east. That bit of light rain is only clipping south Leinster afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

No Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

How much are ya betting?

This yellow belly is holding out till after Saturday anyway

Not everyone on here lives in the east. That bit of light rain is only clipping south Leinster afaik

It's a cold front coming in across the country from the west tomorrow. It'll be in the east on Saturday.

Rainfall amounts unknown till it happens.

Edit: Cold fronts coming into warm air usually produce either misty conditions or high high level thunderstorms.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    This yellow belly is holding out till after Saturday anyway

And you'd be right.
    We haven't a hope in the open space of Croke Park. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

hoping twill be good tomorrow as today I've 13 acres ready to bale, to the man asking about getting hay ready quick we often ray it up the day before for the day and shake it out for the night again then shake it out the day of baling and when fit ray it up again before baling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

And you'd be right.
    We haven't a hope in the open space of Croke Park. :rolleyes:

Drop the blades on Sunday cut the hay next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Cut 8 acres yesterday and kicked it out late last night. Turned 4 times today. 3 fields 2 are light crops so acting well the other very heavy fit hay. I think we’ll get it though

Anyone that knows how the lightningmaps website works.

This is what's currently happening where that cold front off the west of Ireland is rubbing up against this warm plume.

Screenshot-2019-06-27-22-47-07.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Drop the blades on Sunday cut the hay next week

I'm hoping to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cloudy in the SW tomorrow, not sure of showers.

Water John wrote: »
    Cloudy in the SW tomorrow, not sure of showers.

There's a chance of flooding tomorrow in Clare and Galway.

Check out yr.no and our own weather forum on boards.

There's a quare lot of doubting Thomas's on here. :rolleyes:
    You think you'd be a bit excited about the thought of all those thunderstorms. :p

Also physics like I posted about a cold front into this very warm plume. Mist or bangers.

Sat24 for keeping an eye on it's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

There's a chance of flooding tomorrow in Clare and Galway.

Check out yr.no and our own weather forum on boards.

There's a quare lot of doubting Thomas's on here. :rolleyes:
    You think you'd be a bit excited about the thought of all those thunderstorms. :p

Also physics like I posted about a cold front into this very warm plume. Mist or bangers.

Sat24 for keeping an eye on it's progress.

Seen that. Will have 3 fields fit tomorrow evening. But yr.no showing 35mm rain between 12 and 6. B0LLIX. Other 2 fields would need until Sat evening but could be Tuesday before it dries out again. YR acting the Mick the last few months so hopefully it stays off form! Some weather to save hay with heat and a warm drying wind.

Seen that. Will have 3 fields fit tomorrow evening. But yr.no showing 35mm rain between 12 and 6. B0LLIX. Other 2 fields would need until Sat evening but could be Tuesday before it dries out again. YR acting the Mick the last few months so hopefully it stays off form! Some weather to save hay with heat and a warm drying wind.

If you did think it was coming in the morning.
    At least you're forewarned and forearmed and could wrap it.

Check out the radar and sat24 in the morning. It's only a slither of a front but if you're stuck underneath it you could be fishing it out of the Corrib.

Edit: I see on the weather forum they're going on about strong wind in Cork atm.
    That's a sign of a high temperature difference between places.
    Me thinks there'll be weather tomorrow that won't be agreeable to most.

If you did think it was coming in the morning.
    At least you're forewarned and forearmed and could wrap it.

Check out the radar and sat24 in the morning. It's only a slither of a front but if you're stuck underneath it you could be fishing it out of the Corrib.

What will be will be. Going to row it up early and get the square baler greased up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

There's a quare lot of doubting Thomas's on here. You think you'd be a bit excited about the thought of all those thunderstorms.

excited about losing crops a bit of cop on please

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

If I cut it tomorrow and the charts claim I'll be getting 1 or 2mm of rain Saturday/Sunday should I leave it till next week or will such a small amount of rain probably not effect it, give it a turn after the rain?

scottigael wrote: »
    If I cut it tomorrow and the charts claim I'll be getting 1 or 2mm of rain Saturday/Sunday should I leave it till next week or will such a small amount of rain probably not effect it, give it a turn after the rain?

I'd cut it.

lab man wrote: »
    excited about losing crops a bit of cop on please

You're more warned now than you were two hours ago when alps, water john, reggie and injury prone posted about fine weather forecast.
    There ain't a thing I can post or type or pray to stop any rain coming. You're warned. That should be the take all.
    Everything else is politics.

I'd cut it.

I'd wait till next week with this Azores high forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Cut 8 acres yesterday and kicked it out late last night. Turned 4 times today. 3 fields 2 are light crops so acting well the other very heavy fit hay. I think we’ll get it though

5 times in 24 hours is some battering to give it.

5 times in 24 hours is some battering to give it.

Weather saves hay not the machine.
    In good conditions cut pm with conditioner mower so technically the first turn also. Also gives the ground either side a chance to dry.
    Turn twice the first day, once a day after that and once the morning of baling. Weather will dictate the length on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Baled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Weather saves hay not the machine.
    In good conditions cut pm with conditioner mower so technically the first turn also. Also gives the ground either side a chance to dry.
    Turn twice the first day, once a day after that and once the morning of baling. Weather will dictate the length on the ground.

It’ll get 3 today as well. Heavy crop definitely needs a lot of turning to air it can see it making a difference. Try to get the lighter bits baled tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

I'd wait till next week with this Azores high forecast.

I'm following you on this one...called it right...

Have 3 acres to do for the pets...has to be right...let me know when we should drop it...

Advertisement